• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the best/most accessible JRPGs for Nintendo Switch?

Woodchipper

JRPG newbie looking for advice here. The only one I own is Fire Emblem Three Houses, and while I like the style and atmosphere, I suddenly stopped playing it for whatever reason.

What other JRPGs would you recommend for someone who is just starting to appreciate the genre?

blacktout

Yeah, I think Dragon Quest checks both the quality and accessibility boxes. It's fun, content-rich, polished, has great characters and story, and looks surprisingly good on the Switch. Also, the gameplay is easy to grasp and if you feel like you're getting overwhelmed, you can always just grind levels off easy monsters to bring down the difficulty.

The Xenoblade games are excellent too, but have a steeper learning curve, so I don't know if I'd recommend them to someone who has never played a JRPG before

lachesis

I recommend Ys 8 - Lacrimosa of Dana.

Graphics wise, it's pretty outdated looking & performance may not be as smooth as PS4 Pro or PC/Steam - but it's not too long (unless you go for completionist like I do) and it's got fast and engaging action battles, likeable bunch of characters with rather campy storyline - and you get to fight T-Rex. ;) Oh, also it's got great sound track too.

Others have mentioned DQXIS - and it's a very good one. It pretty much checks off everything that a typical JRPG in its purest form. Sometimes little too much so, but for me, it's not a bad thing. It's a long one though - but the feeling of achievement after that long journey is quite something.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I would also say DQXIS, the default difficulty is pretty easy, and once you get more confident you can use “Draconian” to customize your difficulty.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition

(keep an eye out, this regularly goes on sale for $12.49 or less)

The game is a great introduction to JRPGs. Good cast of characters, fun action battle system, enjoyable plot, tons of anime tropes. The game isn't very difficult or frustrating, doesn't have huge difficulty spikes, and is pretty forgiving for JRPG newbies.

Danjin44

Xenoblade 2 also really good but really hard recommend to newcomers because there is lots of system in its combat and the game does really crappy job explaining its battle system to the player.

Even someone like me who plays lots of JRPG, got confused first time playing the game.

Kuranghi

I've never really played JRPGs before in earnest (FF7 back in the day on PC but I was too young to understand it) until DQXIS and I love it, I played the "10 hour" demo for like 16 hours. I didn't find it overwhelming at all, the only overwhelming thing is my inability to NOT min-max everything before moving on but thats not the games fault.

Saber

Gold Member
Dragon Quest XI S.

Its an impressive work they did to Switch and the game is amazing and a whole package.

drganon

Gold Member
Caligula effect overdose is a good and fairly easy game. I played it on the ps4, but it's on pc and switch as well.

Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, X, XII
Octopath Traveler
Child of Light
Dragon Quest XI
Dragons Quest Builders 1 and 2
Paper Mario The Origami King
Mario + Rabbids
Golf Story

(Yes, I know not all of these games were made in Japan. I'm listing games belonging to the same genre, regardless where they were made. Same reason I'm not listing Dark Souls here.)

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Mario + rabbids is an RPG ?
I thought it was like ghost recon 3DS in gameplay style ?

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, X, XII
Octopath Traveler
Child of Light
Dragon Quest XI
Dragons Quest Builders 1 and 2
Paper Mario The Origami King
Mario + Rabbids
Golf Story

(Yes, I know not all of these games were made in Japan. I'm listing games belonging to the same genre, regardless where they were made. Same reason I'm not listing Dark Souls here.)
I wouldn't really put Dragon Quest Builders, Paper Mario, and Mario + Rabids in the same genre as the others (maybe Golf Story too, no idea).

Paper Mario itself plays very differently from past titles and Mario + Rabbids plays out almost exactly like XCOM.

Danjin44

A Japanese RPG? Says nothing about what kind of game it is.

Suikoden is nothing like Pokemon. SMT is nothing like FF6.
Sure each JRPG can play vastly different from each other same way not all SRPG play the same. "JRPG" just easier way to categorize of what type of game you are looking for, thats all.

Shifty1897

Octopath Traveler and Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition are the two best JRPGs on Switch.

It concerns me that you put down Fire Emblem though, did you get to the second half of the game? (If you don't know, you didn't get to the second half.)

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'm stuck on Golf Story. I feel like such a failure. There's a part where you have to hit a really long drive to within a few feet of a hole multiple times and I can't manage it once.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I'm stuck on Golf Story. I feel like such a failure. There's a part where you have to hit a really long drive to within a few feet of a hole multiple times and I can't manage it once.
I was really into that game for a while and I think I got distracted and moved onto something else. That's crazy that it can get that difficult. Didn't expect that.

Looking forward to Mario Golf story mode though in a few days!

cireza

My recommendation : Valkyria Chronicles 4

81qN6GIaLoL._AC_SY445_.jpg

This is also a Tactical-RPG (like Fire Emblem) but battles are much more interesting and varied. It never gets repetitive/tedious.

Last edited:

Danjin44

My recommendation : Valkyria Chronicles 4

81qN6GIaLoL._AC_SY445_.jpg

This is also a Tactical-RPG (like Fire Emblem) but battles are much more interesting and varied. It never gets repetitive/tedious.
Fantastic choice! My only issue with entire series is the ranking system, it doesn’t reward strategic play, it only rewards speed, finishing the battle as little turn as possible.

cireza

Fantastic choice! My only issue with entire series is the ranking system, it doesn’t reward strategic play, it only rewards speed, finishing the battle as little turn as possible.
Indeed. Achieving this does require some thinking and strategy though, but not the one you would like to see.

The game is also very well optimized for Switch.

Danjin44

Indeed. Achieving this does require some thinking and strategy though, but not the one you would like to see.

The game is also very well optimized for Switch.
I get why they decided to do this, it prevents people from playing too safe and forces you take risks, but there must be better way encourage this than what they came up with.

Last edited:

cireza

I get why they decided to do this, it prevents people from playing too safe and forces you take risks, but there must be better way encourage this than what they came up with.
Not the best. But they mitigated the problem to some extent in VC4, as there are other objectives that bring points that count for the rank outside of pure speed. It still does not count as much as it should.

A better system would combine :
Get the best rank by finishing in 3 turns
Get the best rank by finishing in 4 or 5 turns, only if you destroy some key enemies in the process

Cutty Flam

Banned
Solid thread OP, im in the same boat being mostly new to JRPGs

The Dragon Quest games have been showing up in a lot of these type of threads, some even will say they’re the greatest franchise in the genre. And apparently, these are the highly acclaimed Dragon Quest games

Superb: V, XI, III, VIII

Really Good: IX, IV, VII

DQ

FF VII/VIII and IX are on sale right now. Buy them and play them in order.

Buy DQ I and III on sale next time too, only play II if you want to because I can't recommend it to a newcomer. It's not a good game.

Ah so the sequel also suffers from "tanks? Alicia is my tank" gameplay.

Valkyria Chronicles (the first) is also for sale on switch. Great story, lovable cast of army rejects, enjoyable system of unlocking their skills. I found FE3H to be paralyzing with its social stuff and choices in a way that I never felt with VC. I really loved it!

Corgi1985

Banned
Well pokemon sword practically plays itself. It is shit though and nobody should play it.

The SMT3 nocturne HD remaster is the best rpg on the system, but not very accessible.

teezzy

Banned
JRPG newbie looking for advice here. The only one I own is Fire Emblem Three Houses, and while I like the style and atmosphere, I suddenly stopped playing it for whatever reason.

What other JRPGs would you recommend for someone who is just starting to appreciate the genre?

Isn't Final Fantasy 9 or 10 on there? How about 6?

I whole heartedly recommend those

10 is a bit more involved due to its skill tree, but nothing that should intimidate ya. People play these as kids, I know I did

Top Bottom