• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what are you thoughts on the METAVERSE?

since Facebook announced they were working on a Metaverse it seems more and more companies are jumping in. I am a huge cyberpunk fan and love the idea of a metaverse but in a way it scares me. Also, i don't want any part of a Facebook metaverse. I hope some other company comes in and kicks their ass. I'd be up for a Google/Apple Metaverse.

VR headsets seem to be the next big thing. we had the smartphone in 2007 which changed the world. maybe VR headsets aren't really meant just for gaming and they will become the next big hit. Maybe in 10-15 years from now people will be wearing headsets in public like it's nothing. Just like we don't think anything of carrying a computer in our pockets that not only can take photos/videos, play music, play games, communicate with someone on the otherside of the world but...take us to the fucking moon.

what are you thoughts about the metaverse? is reality enough for you or are you reading to escape into the a new world? if so then who do you want to be the biggets player? are you a zuck and don't mind Facebook getting a tighter hold of you or do you want to see Google, Amazon, or Apple ? Or maybe all them will have their own products...

does the idea of a metaverse excite or scare you?

I'm a part of Meta GAF. I think that speaks for itself.

490e3ab27af5c736c804ede2a3ca61bb.gif

In all seriousness, I am really intrigued to see what the technology is like in like 10-15 years from now. Perhaps virtual vacations could be a legit thing if the VR is good enough.

I'm a part of Meta GAF. I think that speaks for itself.

490e3ab27af5c736c804ede2a3ca61bb.gif

In all seriousness, I am really intrigued to see what the technology is like in like 10-15 years from now. Perhaps virtual vacations could be a legit thing if the VR is good enough.
i admit i had a oculus rift (before mandatory facebook account) and i loved exploring Google maps. seeing the earth in 3d from space was really crazy and probably the closest i'll ever get to seeing it for real. we always see the earth as a sphere floating in space but seeing the earth in VR....it wasn't round. it takes up your entire vision. if you look up far enough you can see it start to curve but wow it hits you hard. i like the idea of taking virtual vacations. i want to go travelling but it's so hard and expensive. just like i will never get to space then maybe i need to settle for the next best thing.

Name a more exciting superhero ensemble.

Edit:

To stay on topic, the idea is a good one. However, it's in the wrong hands. I don't trust Facebook sorry, Meta to be responsible with any of it. Same feelings toward Google, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft really. But they're the only ones with enough capital to pull it off.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
No idea everyone says it’s phenomenal switching names as a big company like Facebook is is pretty amazing.

It means nothing, facebook is evoking big fantasies while only being capable of providing shitty VR team apps.

We've spent the past 15 years pushing graphics tech while learning nothing about how to build fulfilling virtual worlds (or regressing, even). Nothing made will be adopted until we focus and get better.

i admit i had a oculus rift (before mandatory facebook account) and i loved exploring Google maps. seeing the earth in 3d from space was really crazy and probably the closest i'll ever get to seeing it for real. we always see the earth as a sphere floating in space but seeing the earth in VR....it wasn't round. it takes up your entire vision. if you look up far enough you can see it start to curve but wow it hits you hard. i like the idea of taking virtual vacations. i want to go travelling but it's so hard and expensive. just like i will never get to space then maybe i need to settle for the next best thing.
I always imagined something like Heavy Rain where he's in a dusty unfurnished room and he puts his glasses on to change his enviornment.

tumblr_pda06aVrVq1ulvn2jo1_500.gifv

Stuff like that could be really game changing for studying or getting away from things for a while while you work. Who wouldn't want to be in a cozy ass place that feels real.

Kev Kev

i like the idea and im super interesetd to see how it evolves. AR and VR is in its infancy, but im 100% that its going to bigger than cell phones one day. i predict most everyday things will be be done with via AR glasses, while more hardcore apps like video games will be a little more involved, like glasses that are more like goggles so it blocks out the light and gives you most screen as possible.

i think its really exciting, but we have to wait and see how the tech evolves. im sure it will be used to collect data and all that too, but im not paranoid about that, being a single guy with no kids especially.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I won't be involved with it whatsoever unless a company I'm working for requires it for some odd reason. I've seen so many variations of this idea both for business and entertainment that I'm convinced that this just has a VR implementation.

At the same time, I'm sure that millions or even billions will absolutely adore it and it will be a big hit.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I like the fact that your alternative to a predatory, faceless, corporate metaverse headed up by a big company is to have a metaverse established by a different predatory, faceless, big corporation.

wondermega

I think it is supercool and am very interested to see where it goes, and to have some part of helping to build it. AR and VR headsets are a huge game-changer, I never had much interest in any of that stuff until my job happened to land me working in the field (games -> mobile apps -> spatial computing) at which point I started to spend a giant chunk of time every day brainstorming with genius people on how the virtual world could practically work and what that would mean for huge industries and such. For gaming and casual stuff it is still a novelty and a ways off, but the bigger picture is quite profound and very exciting. The amount of access and immediacy we currently get with a network-connected smartphone is already very difficult to truly fathom and appreciate, and it will increase massively once we start having this built into a heads-up display, true overlay.

All that being said, like everyone else I am wary of how it will be handled responsibly by the powers that be - all the current players definitely have agendas and sketchy history when it comes to pushing such things on much smaller scales, and with all that has happened with social media in the better part of the past decade (eating our society from within, turning everyone against each other, etc) I see a huge, huge ton of issues that will keep coming from all of this - like, "it will get worse before it gets better," in ways that are still probably impossible to imagine. So it really is a double-edged sword. Is there any way to stop this? Not really. At this point, you can only tune out and try to stay as rooted in reality as possible, and that will certainly always be difficult to ignore, but as time passes and the next generations get more accustomed to "the way things are now" (see: toddlers interacting with cellphones like it's nothing) then the old guard will simply get more and more phased out. Watch even immediate fallout from how covid-induced "work from home" has been absolutely fucking up the business world for a brief glimpse of this.

Anyway long and short of it - I will always be nostalgic for the past, cautiously optimistic for the future, and feeling rather lucky to be involved at what is absolutely a fascinating point in history right now. But yes - the weird times, they are a-comin'.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Zero interest in headsets and games.

The only thing I'd be possibly interested in is the thing we all heard long time when the net got up and running and everyone was hyping streams and videos can do everything. That thing about you don't have to attend sporting events in person and at some point stadiums would be geared up to sell you a feed that replicates the seat you bought.

So if you don't want to watch a broadcast feed and cant get to the stadium in person, you buy an e-ticket for section 150 and can simulate being there. You hear the crowd, no commentators, and see it live. You can even turn your head (or at minimum someone or a bot controls the view for you in a good way).

It doesn't even have to be every seat is a slightly different view. Just one canned VR view per section where a stadium camera is set up.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

this "meta"verse won't work. facebook is a shit company that basically got lucky, none of the talent at the top levels has the skill or creativeness to make something like that.

facebook = copied winklevoss twins
oculus = acquired
instagram = acquired
whatsapp = acquired
portal = one thing they developed which no on uses and is garbage
libra crypto = Nearly every government around the world is against it

TonyK

I'm all in once we have Oasis quality VR..
tye sheridan ar GIF by Ready Player One
Maybe we will simulate that graphic fidelity but the interactions, as shown in that movie or the book, are closer to Matrix mind immersion than real VR. I think if people expect that immersion they will be truly disappointed when the shitty metaverse comes.

*Nightwing

God I hope this takes off and the majority or people will be glued to thier vr/at devices leaving the real world free from thier idiocy for the rest of us

norinrad

For the betterment of humanity? I can definitely get behind it. Though it's FB though one could never know what their true intentions are.

McCheese

It's the inevitable future, even on earth we're starting to realise that travelling around all the time is having a big impact on the planet. Once we're an interplanetary species then most interactions by default will be done within this new metaverse.

But then, VR is so much better than flat-gaming but you still see it struggling to take off because the hardware we wish we had doesn't quite exist yet, and I wouldn't expect the first major attempt at a metaverse to be successful either. But eventually, someone will make it work, and it will have an impact on society the same way the internet did.

I mean, 40 years ago they wouldn't believe we would ever be having this conversation not face to face, but here we are.

Last edited by a moderator:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
They need to get the headsets down to chunky glasses size, put the processing inside of our phones which we all carry around with us all the time anyways and have it wirelessly connect to VR/AR glasses that are screens that can go full VR or become transparent for overlaid AR then you'll get my interest also anyone other than Facebook, them cunts need to die already and for it to become open source with competing firms selling glasses, phones and virtual worlds not a fucking single entity controlling all.

I think it's going to shake out like this as far as hardware/software/unified living ecosystems:

- The gated community/rich/"nerds" on Apple
- The budget minded masses on Google
- Businesses and alt-nerds on Microsoft
- Smoothbrains on Amazon

--

As far as social media... TikTok is Chinese owned, and Facebook owns everything else.

I'd keep social media separate from the above ecosystems - it's another thing entirely.

Tbh as bad as it sounds Twitter is the only platform that gives a voice to most folks and isn't just awfully biased.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Many companies will try and the general public will not even pay attention. Then Apple will jump in with iGlasses few years later with a much better polished experience and people will go fucking bananas. It's the next big thing.

Top Bottom