• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your best genre combos?

BossLackey

Gold Member
I'm finding that fighting games and JRPGs are my current groove and haven't played anything else the last month. That is very rare for me as usually I have genre ADD pretty bad.

They go so well together because one is pure focus, multiplayer, and heavily mechanical whereas the other is more lax, single-player, story focused, strategic, etc. Very much a peanut butter and chocolate situation going on.

What are other good combos?

Ceadeus

Action Rpg. It's quite classic by now but I really like the quick dodging/fighting while leveling up, looting, customizing. Best example is Dragon's dogma or Nioh2!

BossLackey

Gold Member
Action Rpg. It's quite classic by now but I really like the quick dodging/fighting while leveling up, looting, customizing. Best example is Dragon's dogma or Nioh2!

I meant what two genres do you play side by side that compliment each other. Though I love action RPGs and Dragon's Dogma/Nioh and I knew what you meant. No lies detected.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I'm finding that fighting games and JRPGs are my current groove and haven't played anything else the last month. That is very rare for me as usually I have genre ADD pretty bad.

They go so well together because one is pure focus, multiplayer, and heavily mechanical whereas the other is more lax, single-player, story focused, strategic, etc. Very much a peanut butter and chocolate situation going on.

What are other good combos?
JRPGs really are moving and story focused / strategic are great reasons to engage with the genre. I still find the original FF enjoyable.

I know this goes against popular opinion and isn't really a genre but I'll admit I like open world games side-by-side. BoTW on Switch and MGSV: The Phantom Pain were two I've played side by side that gave two separate adventures in that open world setting. Similar to how I felt about playing 'art' type adventure games in the 2000's side by side like Journey (PS3) and Okami (PS2).

2D action platformers, survival horror, character action are my go tos these days! Esp the action platformers, I finally beat Azure Striker Gunvolt after many years and am halfway ish through the 2nd one

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Open-world and Survival is nice.

My favorites:
-State of Decay 1/2
-Fallout NV (Hardcore Mode without mods)
-Fallout 4 (Survival Mode without mods)
-Dead Rising 3/4 (highest difficulty with a fresh save)

Edit: I misread the question. I thought you meant a genre combo in one game. lmao

Last edited:
Anything can work for me as long as I'm mixing genres. I prefer to restrict any narrative heavy game to one at a time though, as long as the story is compelling.

joedan

Thought you meant in the same game.

Was about to say The Guardian Legend. Action RPG with top down bullet-hell shooter.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
aww man I thought this was going to be anouther thread where I could talk about Natural Selection 2 as its a hybrid between FPS & RTS.

But I guess I tend to play a cross between... FPS and RTS... oh... well yeah errrr... to be fair my FPS is Chivalry 2 so it's more melle, and my RTS is still good old Red Alert 2 currently.

Although I am playing Xenoblade 3 at the moment.

BossLackey

Gold Member
aww man I thought this was going to be anouther thread where I could talk about Natural Selection 2 as its a hybrid between FPS & RTS.

But I guess I tend to play a cross between... FPS and RTS... oh... well yeah errrr... to be fair my FPS is Chivalry 2 so it's more melle, and my RTS is still good old Red Alert 2 currently.

Although I am playing Xenoblade 3 at the moment.

I only played Mordhau. Is it worth picking up Chivalry 2 if I've played a ton of Mordhau? Is it a lot better?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I only played Mordhau. Is it worth picking up Chivalry 2 if I've played a ton of Mordhau? Is it a lot better?

I mean... its a simpler game and it has its own problems, but I prefer the assualt/defence game mode and the more rigid class system.

The playerbase is also less toxic... which isent saying much with Mordhau but still...

Essentially it's a bit like a medieval Battlefield Bad Company 2, I'm enjoying my time with it and it has a healthy playerbase compared to Mordhau, so I'm not seeing the same faces every single match, although I do tend to stick to community servers so that's starting to happen.

nkarafo

Metroidvania + FPS

Metroid Prime and Powerslave being the only examples probably. And Powerslave is pushing it.

Reactions: Fbh

TrueLegend

Testing games and playing games.
Atleast I am successfully Rehabiltated from modding games and testing games addiction.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
None tbh, most of the time I like focusing on a single game.

But lately I've been enjoying a combination of autistic games like RimWorld or Factorio with whatever else I'm currently playing at the moment.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

I meant what two genres do you play side by side that compliment each other. Though I love action RPGs and Dragon's Dogma/Nioh and I knew what you meant. No lies detected.
Ohhh ok!

Mmm I'll usually play a RPG that requires a little dedication then I'll compliment with any online fps for quick fun fix!

unclbenn

i like the combo of stealth and puzzle. like the last couple acts of stray. it was very puzzle-lite but i enjoyed it.

teezzy

Banned
I'm finding that fighting games and JRPGs are my current groove and haven't played anything else the last month.

We have the same taste lol. Final Fantasy and Disgaea with some Tekken on the side

Throw in some NHL and/or Fortnite for good measure

Last edited:
2D platformers can be played alongside almost any other genre. That's because they can be mechanically simple -- not too many buttons required, so you don't have to memorize a "button map" that may clash with a game from a different genre. They are level-based, and the levels are often on the short (ish) end, which makes them great for pick up and go.

BlackTron

I find platformers a good complement to just about anything. Most of my play time these days is from online multiplayer, especially FPS and RTS, and it's a nice change of pace to grab the Switch between matches to play Sonic 2 or Mario 3. Often right there on the handheld mode for only 1 or 2 levels, until the next match is lined up. Usually Sonic in this fashion because his fast, arcadey, one-button style befits using a Switch with crappy joycon to blow through a level.

I've always been using platformers to keep things fresh though. On DC I kept coming back to Sonic and Rayman while grinding down Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II. I'd go back to Mario 64 to breathe when I was stuck in Zelda. Mario World and Yoshi's Island always ended up back in the SNES no matter what other games were in rotation. So I guess my answer is, platformers go with anything lol.

As a more general idea though, it's good to pair strategy/management/turn based games with action/adventure/real-time games.

Within the scope of only multiplayer. Man it feels really good to go between Starcraft and Smash. It's like salty/sweet.

Top Bottom