• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your most recent gaming joys?

Hey GAF, what are some recent gaming joys you've experienced? For me, some recent gaming joys were Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening 2019, and Spark the Electric Jester 3. With the Zelda game, it has a fantastic art style and great top-down gameplay to back it up...it's such a great experience so far. And Spark 3 is like a fully realized Sonic Utopia, it really controls well and feels blissful to play. What about you GAF? Any recent gaming joys?

Jaybe

Mass Effect Legendary Edition on XSX. What a phenomenal three games plus its DLC all in one package to play back to back. Some of the characters and plot lines are written so well.

Commander Shepard Dancing GIF by Mass Effect

Last edited:

Doom85

Elden Ring when it came out, but in terms of most recent:

zmpeouT.jpg

Finally getting to play Chrono Cross after never having a copy to check it out. It’s pretty fun so far. Definitely not on par with Trigger, and the characters are really undeveloped due to the absurdly huge cast, but good battle system, story is fairly good, and the music is really solid. I am going to ignore its connection to Trigger canon wise as I’ve heard spoilers and it’s pretty upsetting what this game is going to say about the previous game. Also, I heard the game does dip in quality in the final third.

But having a good time with it so far. I might do a LttP thread on completion, though I feel nobody on Gaf does those much anymore or maybe I’m not noticing them.

Elden Ring when it came out, but in terms of most recent:

zmpeouT.jpg

Finally getting to play Chrono Cross after never having a copy to check it out. It’s pretty fun so far. Definitely not on par with Trigger, and the characters are really undeveloped due to the absurdly huge cast, but good battle system, story is fairly good, and the music is really solid. I am going to ignore its connection to Trigger canon wise as I’ve heard spoilers and it’s pretty upsetting what this game is going to say about the previous game. Also, I heard the game does dip in quality in the final third.

But having a good time with it so far. I might do a LttP thread on completion, though I feel nobody on Gaf does those much anymore or maybe I’m not noticing them.
You should!

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Hey GAF, what are some recent gaming joys you've experienced? For me, some recent gaming joys were Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening 2019, and Spark the Electric Jester 3. With the Zelda game, it has a fantastic art style and great top-down gameplay to back it up...it's such a great experience so far. And Spark 3 is like a fully realized Sonic Utopia, it really controls well and feels blissful to play. What about you GAF? Any recent gaming joys?
i replayed the Crash Remakes and they hold up extremely well 5 years later in terms of visuals. Truly the best way to experience these amazing games
i wish they ported the nitro kart remake to PC though

Doom85

i replayed the Crash Remakes and they hold up extremely well 5 years later in terms of visuals. Truly the best way to experience these amazing games
i wish they ported the nitro kart remake to PC though

I hope you get a port then, because the game was already great at launch, and then they added even more tracks and characters post launch. Solid racing game.

Hoddi

Rocket League of all games. I never had even the slightest interest in this game but decided to try it on a whim and it's kept me completely hooked for the past 2-3 months.

The last time this happened was probably Black Ops way back in 2010. It's bloody amazing.

kubricks

Finally bought myself a 8bitdo M30 controller with 6 face buttons on it, playing street fighter series on Switch has never felt better! Reminds me the days when I have an off brand SNES 6 face buttons controller that I insisted to bring it to every sleepover, so I can kick my friends ass on SF2 lol.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Replayed Chrono Trigger for the millionth time. Still a very exciting adventure even after all these playthroughs.

BabyYoda

Banned
Finally built my first PC and I'm loving Half Life: Alyx,. Also playing through Outriders, Monster Hunter World, Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom and going through all five Gears games, phew (I may have missed a few...)!

Enjoying all of them.

Wohc

Banned
Finally built my first PC and I'm loving Half Life: Alyx,. Also playing through Outriders, Monster Hunter World, Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom and going through all five Gears games, phew (I may have missed a few...)!

Enjoying all of them.
Good choice, welcome to Glorious Pc Master Race :messenger_bicep:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The one that totally caught me off guard was Hades. Was such an amazing game, and I can't see it being topped.

I gave destiny 2 a chance again, and to my surprise I enjoy it.

I have just tried so many times to get through the start area, but it has always been so bad to me. I found the zone and pace so boring.

But after giving it a 2 hour chance I finally started to enjoy it.

Wohc

Banned
Well I've been a PC gamer for decades, this is just the first time I've built my own PC, but I appreciate the sentiment ;)
My bad. It's a great feeling if you push the button for the first time and it runs. Luckily it's easier than some IKEA furnitures these days. In the 90s it was a nightmare.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Well I've been a PC gamer for decades, this is just the first time I've built my own PC, but I appreciate the sentiment ;)
PC is the best platform without a doubt.

After my faulty GPU and getting game pass for my xo it's hard to go back and buy a GPU atm. Only have to buy 1 digital copy of a game so both me and my gf can play at the same time is also just cheaper than having to buy games twice.

Some games should just be played on pc, like a mmos and fps games

I think it'll be a long time before anything will beat the sheer joy Elden Ring gave me. Other highlights this year were Dying Light 2, Cyberpunk 2077 (post 1.5, 1st time playing), Gran Turismo 7, Ghostwire Tokyo and Cult of the Lamb.

GametimeUK

For some reason I reflect on Watch Dogs 2 very fondly. I never expected a modern Ubi game of all things to have this effect on me. So many positive vibes when I cast my mind back to this.

BabyYoda

Banned
My bad. It's a great feeling if you push the button for the first time and it runs. Luckily it's easier than some IKEA furnitures these days. In the 90s it was a nightmare.
Yeah, just needed a bit of research before hand, so a bit more complex than IKEA ;) (but the assembly itself is easy, you're right).

It didn't work at first, I had switched the front header power switch cable with the power LED...thankfully I eventually realised the rookie mistake and it all ran beautifully, Win11 boots up in about 3-4 seconds and every game runs like a dream (albeit, it is a mid spec PC)!

Lasha

I just finished Mines of Moria in Lotro. Moria is the best expansion and setting that I have ever experienced. Each zone has a unique character and a scale that few MMO ever touch. A palpable sense of dread permeates every chapter of the story. The feeling of finally reaching the first hall and entering the overworld again is something everybody should experience.

Playing old pc games on a handheld. Steam deck (and switch before it), have given new life to old classics and have gsve me a huge nostalgia hit.

It's been a hell of a ride. When I fired up dues ex, thief, and system shock, splinter cell, all fully modded on a handheld, and they all worked.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Doing the Yakuza 5 taxi missions with this on the background:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Returnal. I was surprised by how much I love that game, wasn't sure it was really my thing (which is why I never picked it up when it originally released). Turns out it was. I've beaten it (true ending) but don't want to stop playing. Luckily I've still got a lot left to do in the tower.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Power wash simulator, along with an audiobook in the background, was genuinely a relaxing, fun and addictive experience.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Nothing has been better than Elden Ring for me this year, especially after getting the Platinum trophy for it. I’ve played a lot since then and it hasn’t been better. Vampire Savior 2 has been good. I went to a classic arcade. It was better than anything from my childhood and things haven’t been the same ever since. I’m actually hoping Village’s DLC is really good. I’m looking forward to that. I thought XC3 was good, but I’ve taken a break 3/4 the way in. It’s good, but 🤷‍♂️

Honestly getting PS Plus Premium and discovering so many new games I enjoy. So many I've always wanted to try out, so it's just nice to have the option.

There's a lot that I kept putting off buying and missing the sales, and I regretted that.

Fbh

Finally finding a Ps5 at a normal price and getting to play Elden Ring.
The game definitely met all my expectations and even surpassed in some areas. And even with the less than ideal performance, getting to play it with nicer visuals and much better performance than I'd have gotten on ps4 was definitely worth waiting a few months.

Top Bottom