• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do we know about PlayStation's 2023 so far?

vivftp

While we're waiting to see if/when PlayStation holds their next showcase to let us know what's next, I figured we might as well gather up what we know so far to take a snapshot of things. Feel free to mention anything I've missed. We'll cover hardware, software and misc here of things that're known/rumored.

HARDWARE:

PS5 console production has been on the rise since July 2022 and we know SIE's goal is to ship 18 million PS5's this FY. They've got over 15 million more to go for the remaining 3 quarters of this fiscal year ending March 31, 2023. Next FY SIE has stated that they expect the PS5 sales curve to surpass the PS4 sales curve, meaning they'll have to ship over 23 million PS5's next FY to meet that goal.

Additionally, Tom Henderson has recently leaked that a PS5 discless revision is due in September 2023 and they'll be offering a detachable drive that plugs into an additional USB C on the back of the new revision. It's unknown if this detachable drive will work with the current PS5 Digital, but it's within the realm of possibility since the current PS5's have a USB C on the front. Tom Henderson has claimed that Sony's actual target for PS5 shipments next FY is 30.5 million units total (12 million current model units, 18.5 million new revision models). If true, this would easily be a record hardware shipment number for SIE.

Also in early 2023 Sony will be launching PSVR2. Bloomberg has reported that Sony plans to ship 2 million PSVR2's by March 2023. For comparison, the PSVR took 8 months to hit 1 million units.

SOFTWARE:

So far in terms of confirmed first party and console exclusive content in 2023 we have:

Spider-Man 2
Final Fantasy 16
Horizon Call of the Mountain (PSVR2)
Stellar Blade
Firewall Ultra (PSVR2)
Destiny 2 Lightfall
Forspoken
MLB 2023
*It's possible that FF7 Rebirth may hit 2023, but even if it doesn't it should still hit FY23 at least.

We know that PSVR2 will have over 20 games at launch, and will presumably get the remaining launch lineup when the price and release date of PSVR2 are revealed.

Jim Ryan has also stated that there are 2 unannounced live service games that will launch before the end of this FY. It's always possible one of 'em could drop before 2022 ends, but I'll leave this here as there's a good chance that at least 1 drops in early 2023. Presumably the leaked Helldivers 2 will be one of them as we know a trailer has been prepared. The other is anyones guess, but I'm going to speculate that it's TLOU MP which we know will be talked about more in 2023. I'm guessing it'll have a short announce to reveal window, and aim to come out around the time of the HBO series.

Beyond this, folks are awaiting a showcase to fill in the gaps and flesh out their upcoming lineup more.

MISC:

PlayStation Productions will have a pretty busy year in 2023. The Last of Us HBO has been confirmed to launch in 2023. We also know that the Gran Turismo movie will launch in August 2023. We also know that the Twisted Metal TV series has completed filming. There's no current release window, but it's not unreasonable to think it could also launch in 2023 since filming is completed. They've got a lot more projects underway, but I don't know if anything else is realistically expected to launch in 2023.

No doubt things will continue to evolve on the PC, mobile, live service, and subscription fronts in 2023, but I can't think of anything else noteworthy that we're aware of right now to add here.

Update posted 11/06/2022:

May as well post some small updates...

- The Last of Us HBO will release January 15th, 2023
- PSVR2 releases February 22, 2023
- We've received info on 11 additional PSVR2 titles due out in 2023, but it's interesting to note that we don't yet have a confirmed launch lineup meaning there could be more to come
- Sony has stated during their latest quarterly report that they actually plan to exceed their original 18 million figure for PS5 production this FY, and that they're aiming for over 23 million next FY to achieve their stated goal of surpassing the PS4 sales curve. This reaffirms the info posted in the OP, and gives us our absolute bare minimum for next FY's production, which will be a record for PlayStation consoles. This possibly paves the way for the 30.5 million figure Tom Henderson leaked, but we probably won't get official confirmation until the end of this FY.

Last edited:
welcome_to_silent_hill_hdrp_unity.gif

vivftp

I have no idea but looking at that list plus the last two years and that's extremely impressive.

Couple all that with third party and it's been a great run so far. I've never had a backlog and have a big one right now.

They could even have a slump for a year.

The funny part is, 2022 is the slump year because it's mostly populated with games that got pushed back from 2021. I think 2023 will be the "catch-up" year where the originally intended 2022 games and the originally intended 2023 games overlap, resulting in one of the biggest gaming years to date. Possibly rivaling 2020.

Final Fantasy isnt a first party game.

Please re-read. I mentioned first party and console exclusive games. FF16 and FF7 Rebirth are PS5 console exclusive titles.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
In before the random laughing smiley reaction on serious thread
How about crying? I kind of regret buying a PS5 with this sad trickle of decent exclusives. I mean I have nostalgic hope for Final Fantasy but I do every time one releases and I have been consistently disappointed in them. Spider Man should be pretty awesome for production values but I can't see myself wanting to do any of the open world shit after playing the other 2 games.

Why is Destiny 2 on that list? You can play that anywhere. So what if Sony owns it, it is not an exclusive. It does not meet the typical meaning of first party.

vivftp

How about crying? I kind of regret buying a PS5 with this sad trickle of decent exclusives. I mean I have nostalgic hope for Final Fantasy but I do every time one releases and I have been consistently disappointed in them. Spider Man should be pretty awesome for production values but I can't see myself wanting to do any of the open world shit after playing the other 2 games.

Why is Destiny 2 on that list? You can play that anywhere. So what if Sony owns it, it is not an exclusive. It does not meet the typical meaning of first party.

They own it, it's first party, so it's on the list. Same with MLB.

Corndog

Banned
The funny part is, 2022 is the slump year because it's mostly populated with games that got pushed back from 2021. I think 2023 will be the "catch-up" year where the originally intended 2022 games and the originally intended 2023 games overlap, resulting in one of the biggest gaming years to date. Possibly rivaling 2020.

Please re-read. I mentioned first party and console exclusive games. FF16 and FF7 Rebirth are PS5 console exclusive titles.
So timed exclusives like forspoken are also on the list?

vivftp

So timed exclusives like forspoken are also on the list?

Yup. The only way to play that game on console is via PS5, and they paid to make it exclusive so it's a part of their strategy for 2023. Just like they don't own Stellar Blade, but are assisting the devs with it and are publishing it. This isn't just about Sony first party studios and the content they're only releasing on PS consoles, it's about their overall strategy.

Last edited:

vivftp

Man 2023 looking kinda bleak. Besides spiderman 2 not much there to get people moist. Sonys a victim of its own success theyve made so many bangers that people now will have such high expectations every year. Im sure theyll have a couple a surprises.

They're still cruising on games that were announced 1-2 years ago for most of that 2023 lineup in the OP. The pandemic pushed everything back, including announcements. They've done plenty to announce 3rd party bangers with the June/September SoP's, we're now awaiting their showcase which is where first party are normally featured. That should give us a much better perspective on just what sort of year 2023 will be for them.

Cornbread78

Both MS & Sony are dropping shit right now and are 2 years behind because of covid... kinda sad really, but at least I have
GoW, Star Ocean, Crisis Core, Tactics Ogre, Ys VIII ps5 & CoD MW2 which will roll me right through the middle of 2023 with Lightfall, FFVIIR pt.2, Tales of Symphonia remaster, Forspoken, Steller Blade and, most importantly, Final Fantasy XVI

Pretty busy for me...

Last edited:
Offer rewards via PS Stars in exchange for signing a petition to the FTC in opposition to the AB-Microsoft purchase.

It's gonna be lit.

EDMIX

Horrible list aside from Spiderman 2.

Sony needs to spill the goods, the secrecy is ridiculously stupid lmao
nah, its a solid line up.

FF16
Spiderman 2
Steller Blade
and what ever titles they reveal later on. They are right not to say shit until its ready to be shown.

No one is fucking buy a system based on WHEN something is announced, they are buying it based on those titles existing at all, so I'd rather they allow those teams to focus on solid content vs rushing to announce years and years in advance or something.

Cornbread78 Cornbread78 Same.

I have a massive backlog to play thru next year so a lot on that list isn't even going to be bought day 1. I'd say FF16 and Spiderman 2 are clear day 1s, everything else I'll have to wait on. If many this fall become new PS5 owners, they'll already have a shit load of games to go thru next year anyway like Demon Souls, Ratchet, Returnal, Horizon, God Of War etc So anyone new to PS5 is going to have their hands full in 2023.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
nah, its a solid line up.

FF16
Spiderman 2
Steller Blade
and what ever titles they reveal later on. They are right not to say shit until its ready to be shown.

No one is fucking buy a system based on WHEN something is announced, they are buying it based on those titles existing at all, so I'd rather they allow those teams to focus on solid content vs rushing to announce years and years in advance or something.

Cornbread78 Cornbread78 Same.

I have a massive backlog to play thru next year so a lot on that list isn't even going to be bought day 1. I'd say FF16 and Spiderman 2 are clear day 1s, everything else I'll have to wait on. If many this fall become new PS5 owners, they'll already have a shit load of games to go thru next year anyway like Demon Souls, Ratchet, Returnal, Horizon, God Of War etc So anyone new to PS5 is going to have their hands full in 2023.
Not a fan of Final Fantasy or any JRPGs really.

And Stellar Blade looks like one of those anime ass Japanese action games 😫

Power to those who like it but it ain’t for me.

I’m hoping BluePoint works fast as hell and whatever they’re working on is ready for Fall. And I bet we get a look at Naughty Dogs new IP next year

EDMIX

Not a fan of Final Fantasy or any JRPGs really.

And Stellar Blade looks like one of those anime ass Japanese action games 😫

Power to those who like it but it ain’t for me.

I’m hoping BluePoint works fast as hell and whatever they’re working on is ready for Fall. And I bet we get a look at Naughty Dogs new IP next year
well....thats a you thing then.

Of course someone isn't going to feel some list is solid if its chock full of Octopath Traveler 2, FF16, Stellar Blade, Yakuza Ishin, Granblue Fantasy etc. So JRPGs not for you, "anime ass Japanese action games" not for you....you going to have a hard time seeing any line up on PS or Nintendo that is solid then.

Thus...that is a you thing, nothing is wrong with their line up.

So, you have to know that is a personal bias and those games move millions of units, thus are wanted by someone. Shit, I'm not even fucking buying the next COD as its just packed in to a bundle that I'm selling, but I don't disregard its significances based on my PERSOANL preference. So if I see COD, Madden, Fifa, Assassins Creed etc I could be buying none of those games still say its a solid line up, cause someone is buying those games to break records and move units.

So I'm hype for what ever Naughty Dog makes next too in regards to their new IP they are working on, shit The Last Of Us 2 is my GOTG, but when looking at a solid line up, I remove my personal bias and tend to support historically what those IP move and how the community overall feels about those titles, not merely my own personal taste.

Kagey K

Banned
Is this one of those wait until next year threads?

I hear they are all the rage.

The holiday season is upon us and instead of looking forward to those releases, we have to look past them and into next year

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Yeah I know what you mean but tbh, Sony never quite failed to deliver before. It's always a matter of time. Nobody know what FF16 is gonna be like yet. When square go too ambitious in scale, I feel like it always hurts their product like ff15.
Does the upcoming PSVR2 interests you?

Skifi28

People have so high expectations for Spider-Man 2, graphically I mean. It will be the apocalypse when it comes out and it just looks a bit better than Miles Morales. The expectations people have at the moment are stratospherically high. I smell tears and meltdowns.
And they might not be able to blame it on cross-gen this time. Things will get quite interesting around here.

reksveks

People have so high expectations for Spider-Man 2, graphically I mean. It will be the apocalypse when it comes out and it just looks a bit better than Miles Morales. The expectations people have at the moment are stratospherically high. I smell tears and meltdowns.
The laws of diminishing returns doesn't seem to be well understood. Yeah , expectations may need to be tempered a bit.

EDMIX

I never doubt Insomniac. What ever voodoo magic they got going on, I expect Spiderman 2 fall 2023, Wolverine 2024, Ratchet and Clank Booty 2 Big 2 Bubblicious 2025, Spiderman 3 Enter The Sandman 2026, still dealing with the legal fallout from using the Metallica Song in Spiderman 3's marketing without their consent, they will roll out Wolverine 2: Weeks Of Past Future in 2027 etc

They can't be stopped...

EDMIX

Don't be a drama queen, no one batted an eye for Spiderman Remastered, Ghost of Tsushima DC, Death Stranding DC and many other. All I see in these threads is people asking for a PS5 version of TLOU2.... when they announce that will you bitch around all the same?

This.

I think the way its phrased, Covid delaying major next gen titles, the sensationalist bait at the time and what folks want to cherry pick goes deep in to all of this.

We literally had remasters 1 year after release and I've yet to see any of those threads going to 16 pages like its the end of the world. The fact that another game got revealed to have a remaster and suddenly its not a 16 page thing anymore speaks volumes if its REALLY a subject anyone truly gives a shit about.

They pick and choose when that is some "concern".

The same publishers remastering titles this gen, did so last gen and the one before that etc. None of that is new and I question the logic of those pretending this is some new trend, they merely expose they were not old enough to remember those past remasters.

Pedro Motta

This.

I think the way its phrased, Covid delaying major next gen titles, the sensationalist bait at the time and what folks want to cherry pick goes deep in to all of this.

We literally had remasters 1 year after release and I've yet to see any of those threads going to 16 pages like its the end of the world. The fact that another game got revealed to have a remaster and suddenly its not a 16 page thing anymore speaks volumes if its REALLY a subject anyone truly gives a shit about.

They pick and choose when that is some "concern".

The same publishers remastering titles this gen, did so last gen and the one before that etc. None of that is new and I question the logic of those pretending this is some new trend, they merely expose they were not old enough to remember those past remasters.
The ones leaked the HZD remastered know what they were doing when the wrote it was a "REMAKE".

Markio128

Tbh, the visuals on MM are already superb, so I agree that SM2 isn’t going to look much better - and doesn’t really need to. However, Insomniac have the opportunity to push the hardware in other ways; maybe better city density/variation in the environments, dynamic weather, you get the gist. And please, Insomniac, less of the stealth sections, which I personally think suit Batman games more. I just want action, action, action with Spider-Man.

Top Bottom