• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do we know about PlayStation's 2023 so far?

3liteDragon

We won't know what they have for next year other than Spider-Man 2 right now, hope their showcase is this month. But I do know for me, 2023's gonna be one of the best if not the best year whether we're talking about games, shows, or even movies lol.

Last edited:

solidus12

Well, we do know that Starfield will be 2023´s God of War Ragnarok.

I kid, I kid, it will be Cyberpunk 2077’ launch window

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
We won't know what they have for next year other than Spider-Man 2 right now, hope their showcase is this month. But I do know for me, 2023's gonna be one of the best if not the best year whether we're talking about games, shows, or even movies lol.

Most likely a showcase this month.

skit_data

You're probably right. Nowadays it's a miracle for a game to be released the same year the initial release date was set to.
It doesn’t have a set release date though. Spider-Man 2 was announced with a 2023 release date but Wolverine wasn’t announced with one.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
For 2023?

greatness-is-all-is-see-josh2funny.gif

NahaNago

Looks kinda meh for me. Maybe the stellar blade game for me. FF16 looks boring to me and that Forspoken game just seems weird to me. Not getting vr and I really need to try and get into that first spiderman game. Haven't played Destiny since the launch of Destiny and I've never played MLB.

Last edited:

vivftp

May as well post some small updates...

- The Last of Us HBO will release January 15th, 2023
- PSVR2 releases February 22, 2023
- We've received info on 11 additional PSVR2 titles due out in 2023, but it's interesting to note that we don't yet have a confirmed launch lineup meaning there could be more to come
- Sony has stated during their latest quarterly report that they actually plan to exceed their original 18 million figure for PS5 production this FY, and that they're aiming for over 23 million next FY to achieve their stated goal of surpassing the PS4 sales curve. This reaffirms the info posted in the OP, and gives us our absolute bare minimum for next FY's production, which will be a record for PlayStation consoles. This possibly paves the way for the 30.5 million figure Tom Henderson leaked, but we probably won't get official confirmation until the end of this FY.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Factions 2 and Spider-Man 2.

GTA 6 trailer will do the rest of the hype carrying. That alone will move millions of consoles

vivftp

Factions 2 and Spider-Man 2.

GTA 6 trailer will do the rest of the hype carrying. That alone will move millions of consoles

Spider-Man 2 is gonna be a juggernaut given how well Spider-Man 2018 and Miles Morales have done.

I'm very interested to see what TLOU MP becomes. I'm hoping it can be something with hints of The Division/Destiny where you can carry out missions either solo or with friends, and also have a strong multiplayer mode. I'm also curious to see what platforms it'll launch on. Console and PC are a given for day 1 launch at this point, but I'm curious if this is gonna also be a mobile game for maximum market penetration.

REDRZA MWS

How about crying? I kind of regret buying a PS5 with this sad trickle of decent exclusives. I mean I have nostalgic hope for Final Fantasy but I do every time one releases and I have been consistently disappointed in them. Spider Man should be pretty awesome for production values but I can't see myself wanting to do any of the open world shit after playing the other 2 games.

Why is Destiny 2 on that list? You can play that anywhere. So what if Sony owns it, it is not an exclusive. It does not meet the typical meaning of first party.
Same goes for MLB the Show. Can play it on Xbox and Switch.

vivftp

Fingers crossed for a ps5 slim in 2023

Well rumor has it that the current PS5 disc and PS5 digital models will be replaced by a single disc-less model with an optional detachable disc drive around September 2023. Whether that will be a "slim" or not is anyones guess, but at the very least it'll be no larger than the current digital model.

Ya know come to think of it, I wonder if that might be partly why they're not going all out on selling a huge variety of faceplates for the PS5 right now. They've got several, but the potential to sell more designs is there. If there is a redesign next year that wouldn't be compatible with the current face plates that could explain things a bit.

yurinka

As I remember in terms of exclusives/1st party that I see they could release in 2023 they have announced:
  • Tchia
  • Forspoken
  • Granblue Fantasy: Relink
  • Street Fighter 6 (exclusive in previous gen)
  • Resident Evil 4 remake (exclusive in previous gen, VR stuff)
  • RE Village (VR stuff)
  • Among Us (VR stuff)
  • No Man's Sky (VR stuff)
  • Horizon CoM
  • Firewall Ultra
  • Destiny 2 Lightfall (multi)
  • MLB 23 (multi)
  • FFXVI
  • Spider-Man 2
  • FFVII Rebirth
  • Stellar Blade
  • KOTOR remake?
  • TLOU online?
Exclusive/1st party stuff that I think they could announce for 2023, even if in some cases I see more realistic to expect them for 2024:
  • Guerrilla's game directed by the Rainbow 6 Siege + Killzone 2 MP
  • London Studio's fantasy co-op MP game
  • Ballistic Moon's unannounced game
  • Bungie new IP (one of the multiple ones they are working on)
  • Helldivers 2
  • MLB 23
  • Firesprite non-Horizon CoM game
  • Bluepoint's 'original content' (if in addition to help in GoWR they have other project, I'd bet they are working on a DLC/extra content for a known IP because they didn't mention 'game' or 'new IP')
  • Some Insomniac small VR experiences or tech demos (not full games)
  • Team Asobi's 3D action game
  • Ratchet 2016 PC port (due to anniversary)
  • TLOU 2 PS5+PC port SKUs (due to tv show)
  • Bloodborne Remaster (PS5 + time later PC port)
  • Returnal PC port
  • Dreams PSVR2/PC port
On top of that we should consider the PSVR2 release and maybe an important 'slim' hardware revision on the hardware side. And in the OS/services side I think the should expect full Discord integration in PS, PS cloud gaming also available on smartphones, tablets and smart tvs, plus more cool games added to PS Plus and als improvements regarding emulation.

Regarding acquisitions, they scheduled costs for completing acquisitions for SIE during H2 FY2022 for 2.5x the amount the spent during H1 completing the acquisitions of Bungie, Haven, Savage, etc. Meaning they could close acquisitions for SIE during H2 for a value of up to $7-9B aprox.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
sony line up for 2023 look pretty bleak ( so far)

with only spiderman 2 safe to say zelda tears of kingdom will wipe the GOTY award next year

REDRZA MWS

Hopefully PSVR2 too
But I guess that depends on how well the tracking does behind once head?
Lmk how it is if it’s on psvr2. I have zero interest in VR.
As I explained in the very next post after the one you quoted:

They own it, it's first party, so it's on the list. Same with MLB.
I own both Ps5, and SX. I’ll play it on my gamepass subscription and save 79 bucks. 1st party or not. (MLB publishes the game btw).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
FFXVI, FFVIIRebirth and Granblue Relink when it comes to "exclusives", which mostly are 3rd party games. I dont think any of first party games from Sony I'm excited about after GOWR.

vivftp

Lmk how it is if it’s on psvr2. I have zero interest in VR.

I own both Ps5, and SX. I’ll play it on my gamepass subscription and save 79 bucks. 1st party or not. (MLB publishes the game btw).

Cool, hope ya enjoy it,

Sony still owns the studio who makes the game, pays to make the game and publishes the game on PlayStation. It's their game. Just like if were to make an equivalent list for Microsoft and they had a new Minecraft game that was coming out multi-plat, I'd add it to that list. And if there's any further doubt, my thread and my rules :pie_wfwt:

DonJimbo

Well rumor has it that the current PS5 disc and PS5 digital models will be replaced by a single disc-less model with an optional detachable disc drive around September 2023. Whether that will be a "slim" or not is anyones guess, but at the very least it'll be no larger than the current digital model.

Ya know come to think of it, I wonder if that might be partly why they're not going all out on selling a huge variety of faceplates for the PS5 right now. They've got several, but the potential to sell more designs is there. If there is a redesign next year that wouldn't be compatible with the current face plates that could explain things a bit.
I hope its smaller and has less power consumption and its a bit cheaper and with good build quality

SSfox

FF16 and Stellar Blade are gonna be Bangers.

Spiderman 2 will be great but no Day One will wait for sales, Sony need to go back on making PS studios games fully Playstation exclusives if they want me to buy their games full price day one again.

Reactions: Isa

Woopah

As I remember in terms of exclusives/1st party that I see they could release in 2023 they have announced:
  • Tchia
  • Forspoken
  • Street Fighter 6 (exclusive in previous gen)
  • RE4R (exclusive in previous gen, VR stuff)
  • RE Village (VR stuff)
  • Among Us (VR stuff)
  • No Man's Sky (VR stuff)
  • Horizon CoM
  • Firewall Ultra
  • Destiny 2 Lightfall (multi)
  • MLB 23 (multi)
  • FFXVI
  • Spider-Man 2
  • FFVII Rebirth
  • Stellar Blade
  • KOTOR remake?
  • TLOU online?
Exclusive/1st party stuff that I think they could announce for 2023, even if in some cases I see more realistic to expect them for 2024:
  • Guerrilla's game directed by the Rainbow 6 Siege + Killzone 2 MP
  • London Studio's fantasy co-op MP game
  • Ballistic Moon's unannounced game
  • Bungie new IP (one of the multiple ones they are working on)
  • Helldivers 2
  • MLB 23
  • Firesprite non-Horizon CoM game
  • Bluepoint's 'original content' (if in addition to help in GoWR they have other project, I'd bet they are working on a DLC/extra content for a known IP because they didn't mention 'game' or 'new IP')
  • Some Insomniac small VR experiences or tech demos (not full games)
  • Team Asobi's 3D action game
  • Ratchet 2016 PC port (due to anniversary)
  • TLOU 2 PS5+PC port SKUs (due to tv show)
  • Bloodborne Remaster (PS5 + time later PC port)
  • Returnal PC port
  • Dreams PSVR2/PC port
On top of that we should consider the PSVR2 release and maybe an important 'slim' hardware revision on the hardware side. And in the OS/services side I think the should expect full Discord integration in PS, PS cloud gaming also available on smartphones, tablets and smart tvs, plus more cool games added to PS Plus and als improvements regarding emulation.

Regarding acquisitions, they scheduled costs for completing acquisitions for SIE during H2 FY2022 for 2.5x the amount the spent during H1 completing the acquisitions of Bungie, Haven, Savage, etc. Meaning they could close acquisitions for SIE during H2 for a value of up to $7-9B aprox.
Given the recent reboot I don't think KOTOR is coming next year, but you can add Granblue Fantasy: Relink. Also if you're going to include "previous gen console exclusives" then you can put Resident Evil 4.

yurinka

Given the recent reboot I don't think KOTOR is coming next year, but you can add Granblue Fantasy: Relink. Also if you're going to include "previous gen console exclusives" then you can put Resident Evil 4.
Thanks, added Granblue and renamed RE4R to Resident Evil 4 remake.

The reboot is a rumor. We know they added another team to help, which could be part of their plan since the start. In all relatively big projects there are different teams/studios that join the party to codevelop/do outsourced work of some part of the project. I added a question mark because due to what you said it could be delayed to other year, but didn't removed it for the list because it hasn't been publicly delayed.

Last edited:

Woopah

Thanks, added Granblue and renamed RE4R to Resident Evil 4 remake.

The reboot is a rumor. We know they added another team to help, which could be part of their plan since the start. In all relatively big projects there are different teams/studios that join the party to codevelop/do outsourced work of some part of the project. I added a question mark because due to what you said it could be delayed to other year, but didn't removed it for the list because it hasn't been publicly delayed.
ah sorry! I somehow missed RE4R

KOTOR remake hasn't be publicly delayed but it was never given a date in the first place. You're right that adding new studios to help games is normal these days, but what Embracer said was that an AAA title had been taken off Aspyr completely and given to a different studio. That is more of a Metroid Prime 4 situation, where the game was taken away from Bandai Namco completely and given to Retro (though hopefully this doesn't mean the new team has to start all over again).

I feel like I'm the only one that wants a legit PS5 native version of TLOU2 with adaptive triggers, haptics and textures that actually load before you look at them. The PS4 version does none of those things.

So its…

• PSVR2/Horizon Call of The Mountain
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Helldivers 2
  • Stellar Blade
  • Possibly Horizon DLC
3rd party is Forspoken, Tchia, Final Fantasy 16, Little devil Inside

If they could get Factions out that would honestly be a really good year, all those games are ‘next gen’ only also

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

I know I can't get one, I know I'm yet to see one in a store, I know if I order one I can only order a 750+ euros bundle, I know that it's the first Sony console to ever increase price. I know that a console has become this nich device only available to rich people.

I know I can't get one, I know I'm yet to see one in a store, I know if I order one I can only order a 750+ euros bundle, I know that it's the first Sony console to ever increase price. I know that a console has become this nich device only available to rich people.
I don’t know about that, with inflation and all I think the PS5 digital is around half price of a PS3, even after the price increase

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

2023 promises to bring new entries from the biggest and best in PlayStation’s library, as well as new experiences that are sure to pique your interest.

From stand-out AAA experiences like God of War Ragnarok to smaller titles that stole my heart like Stray, we've had a great year on the PlayStation family of consoles in 2022. But now, I want to look ahead to 2023 and the promise that the future of PlayStation gaming holds. These are the biggest PlayStation games coming out in 2023 and beyond.

Timestamps:
00:00 Intro
00:36 Final Fantasy XVI
01:09 Spider-Man 2
01:31 Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
02:07 Rise Of The Ronin
02:52 Forspoken
03:25 Silent Hill 2
04:00 Horizon Call Of The Mountain
04:24 PSVR 2 Lineup
04:49 Last Of Us Multiplayer
05:21 Lost Soul Aside
06:03 Wolverine
06:24 Stellar Blade
06:59 DS2
07:26 KOTOR Remake
07:52 Outro

Umbasaborne

Banned
I dont think there will be alot in the way of 1st party exclusives, but they dont really need them tbh with the amount of major 3rd party exclusives they have coming. Spiderman will likely be their only big first party exclusive next year

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I dont think there will be alot in the way of 1st party exclusives, but they dont really need them tbh with the amount of major 3rd party exclusives they have coming. Spiderman will likely be their only big first party exclusive next year
Horizon DLC, Horizon COTM, Spider-Man 2, and Stellar Blade are 4 big first-party things scheduled for 2023. This is in addition to Firewall Ultra, which is also first-party. And, of course, MLB The Show. So 6 first-party titles in total.

Then third-party exclusives (Final Fantasy XVI, Forspoken, FFVII Rebirth, Silent Hill 2, etc.) are all on top of that.

So they are bringing a lot of first-party content in 2023 too. And there may be even more, e.g., Helldivers 2, that they haven't announced yet.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Teasing the pro perhaps?

――The PS5 is now entering its third year. PS4 Pro was released three years after its release, but we would like to hear about your future prospects.

Nishino We believe that cumulative sales will exceed 37 million units by the end of FY2022, and this will be a very important period for our platform. We won't talk about anything specific this time, but we hope you can look forward to more next year

Taken from

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202212/16286076.html

Umbasaborne

Banned
Teasing the pro perhaps?

――The PS5 is now entering its third year. PS4 Pro was released three years after its release, but we would like to hear about your future prospects.

Nishino We believe that cumulative sales will exceed 37 million units by the end of FY2022, and this will be a very important period for our platform. We won't talk about anything specific this time, but we hope you can look forward to more next year

Taken from

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202212/16286076.html
Honestly, that would be very dissapointing. The ps5 and series x have barely been tapped.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Horizon DLC, Horizon COTM, Spider-Man 2, and Stellar Blade are 4 big first-party things scheduled for 2023. This is in addition to Firewall Ultra, which is also first-party. And, of course, MLB The Show. So 6 first-party titles in total.

Then third-party exclusives (Final Fantasy XVI, Forspoken, FFVII Rebirth, Silent Hill 2, etc.) are all on top of that.

So they are bringing a lot of first-party content in 2023 too. And there may be even more, e.g., Helldivers 2, that they haven't announced yet.
I dont know if id consider those things big in the way spiderman 2 will be, or big like god of war ragnarok, gt7, and horizon forbidden west were last year.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Well what we do know is, they'll continue to act as if the PS-1 and 2 let alone 3 barely existed, with the extensive catalogue they could bring from those eras where some of the games haven't been bettered to this day....

Top Bottom