• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think about cross-gen games that ditches old gen for DLC?

What do you think about cross-gen games that ditches old gen for DLC?

• It's unethical

• It's illegal

• It's not OK but I have next gen console/PC so it works for me

• It's perfectly fine

• I have Switch so I don't care, I'm good for another ten years

Results are only viewable after voting.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
There are two examples for this as far as I know; Cyberpunk 2077 and Horizon Forbidden West.

Shouldn't they say "you will not be able to play the dlc of this game" when selling the old gen version? They make this decision years(or months, whatever) after selling the game. If I had bought the game for the old gen hardware, I would expect to play the dlc as any other game that has it. Especially if I had gotten the "Xbox One X Cyberpunk 2077 Limited Edition":messenger_downcast_sweat:.

I think either they should not make them "cross gen" compatible at all, or they should make it's future dlc's "cross gen" compatible.

What do you think about this new trend?

PS: I hate cross gen games, they prevent me from enjoying "pc master race":messenger_sunglasses:.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
It is perfectly fine as long as they didn’t imply it would be there earlier.

You bought the game as is, you didn’t buy a promise made up in your own head

DonJorginho

Banned
As long as they didn't use the allure of DLC in marketing prior to the initial game's launch, then it's completely fine.

You bought and still got a complete product in terms of what was advertised.

The truth is that last gen users are beyond lucky that so many publishers are still supporting their legacy systems, and the moaning about situations like these should be kept to a minimum, as you're getting a far better deal than anyone thought you would've had looking back when the PS5/XSX and S were first announced.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
If you have a PC, would you accept that a DLC for a game you brought having drastically higher hardware requirements? In the PS2 era( and before) ports where harder than they are now but they were still happening if the interest was high enough.
I have a PS5 so it work for me but if I was without one I would be pissed.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
You gotta be going where they're going if you're going to keep up.
Devs should also do this, they should bring games to the new generation completely, they should not screw up the old generation console players to increase their earnings.
I don't think DLC was announced for either game (though I could be wrong with Cyberpunk) before launch, so it's fine imo.
There are very few games that do not have dlc, it has become a reality that everyone accepts.
The truth is that last gen users are beyond lucky that so many publishers are still supporting their legacy systems, and the moaning about situations like these should be kept to a minimum, as you're getting a far better deal than anyone thought you would've had looking back when the PS5/XSX and S were first announced.
They are very kind:messenger_grinning: I wish they hadn't taken the money and run away at the first opportunity though.
For all intents and purposes, a DLC is a sequel. It's not that different from announcing Horizon 3 as a PS5 exclusive.

Or maybe I'm stupid.
I think the opposite is true sometimes. The sequel can be as simple as a dlc. I expect a new engine, new gameplay, or new graphics from a sequel. It used to be like this, but in the new decade, we're now accepting dlc-like sequels.
It's fine. When you bought the PS4 version, you got the PS5 version too anyway.
What should a ps4 player do with the ps5 version?
If you have a PC, would you accept that a DLC for a game you brought having drastically higher hardware requirements? In the PS2 era( and before) ports where harder than they are now but they were still happening if the interest was high enough.
I have a PS5 so it work for me but if I was without one I would be pissed.
We don't usually see such dramatic changes in dlc's. If they were to make such an improvement, they would write "2" in front of the game and try to get 60 dollars (70?) again.

Anything that moves forward from last gen is a positive.

rise of an empire rain GIF

Denton

People who expect to play 2023 games on 2013 hardware (actually, those tablet jaguar CPUs are like 2008 hardware) deserve to get shit on, particularly in a time when they don't even have to shell out 500 bucks for a new console because Series S and Geforce Now exist.

Top Bottom