• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think Microsoft needs to do to become successful?

For forum people to shut up, and accept the fact that you need time and studios to have stable consistent content over the year.

MS is trying to fix, what they should have done long time ago. And it won't go full affect, until 2017. 2016 we would get some games. But 2017 is when their studio's would truly start firing content.

Until then, we won't get stable content.

I’ve heard this same bullshit excuse so many times over the years that it feels like copypasta. I even changed the dates for you, you can go back many years and your comment will be in its natural habitat.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Hard disagree. Trying to mimic Sony would only hinder the progress they've all ready made. Leave Sony to Sony. Let Xbox continue what they're doing. And Halo Infinite is a legit banger. Never understood the hate towards it, aside from slow content drops.

What Microsoft has been doing isn't enough. Not as far as game output is concerned. Single player games is definitely a spot where Microsoft can improve and bring in a broader audience. That doesn't mean giving up what they already have. It means building on it. And they will be doing that. Those narrative driven games are on the way. That's what Starfield, Avowed, Hellblade 2 and others are and those games will help build a solid foundation for a gaming library that is badly needed.

DavidGzz

They been at this for 20 years. What they need to do is have more than one good gen in a row and people will be more into it.

Xbox and Xbox 360 were two good gens in a row, Xbox One was a mistep. The current gen will be their best yet.

Everyone is hurrying up and getting their licks in before the gen starts popping off for them expecially if the Acti-Blizz deals goes through. Plage Tale, Pentiment, Wo Long, and then Diablo 4 on Game Pass soon and they are just getting started. The PS4 didn't begin being good until almost 2 years in starting with Bloodborne. Patience.

Last edited:
Do you understand that gameplay, isnt exclusive to story telling games?
There are tons of ways to have good games with unique gameplay.
MS just choose different option, which works for them. Sony same too. Nothing wrong with that.
Do you understand that I am not talking about narrative driven games?

You are assuming things.

feynoob

Banned
Do you understand that I am not talking about narrative driven games?

You are assuming things.
What you want is that.
Those are the games who usually wins Goty, then you get weird games like hades, it takes 2, and stray. Or if you are fromsoft.

MS prefers engagement, as those what keeps gamers engage on your console. From RPG games, to racing to MP, to shooter SP. Its all about letting players have a replay value. Its why I called it PCs. Its not exclusive to MP.
Each of their recent studios have all been about that.

I think you guys need to do more research on what is happening in the gaming industry.

I think it’s time for you to realize that Microsoft has been feeding you the same crap for years and you keep eating it up. My last Xbox is an Xbox One, and there’s slim to no chance of me ever buying another because their output has been abysmal for the past decade. Buying studios in the past hasn’t changed their output in terms of quality and consistency, don’t know if it will in the future.

TLZ

Banned
They have the hardware. They have gamepass. They need a consistent stream of great and diverse 1st party games.

What you want is that.
No. Again, you are assuming things.
Those are the games who usually wins Goty,
How did I define GOTY? I am not talking about the awards.

Then you get weird games like hades, it takes 2, and stray. Or if you are fromsoft.
So?

MS prefers "engagement"
Excuses.
as those what keeps gamers engage on your console. From RPG games,
Like Horizon or God of War?
to racing to MP,
Like Gran Turismo?

to shooter SP
SP? Did you mean multiplayer, 10 year platform like Halo Infinite, right?

. Its all about letting players have a replay value.
Replay value dosen't exclude AAA GOTY/New IPs.

Its why I called it PCs. Its not exclusive to MP.
Each of their recent studios have all been about that.
And Sony is not investing in "gameplay, engagement, replay value" games?.

feynoob

Banned
I think it’s time for you to realize that Microsoft has been feeding you the same crap for years and you keep eating it up. My last Xbox is an Xbox One, and there’s slim to no chance of me ever buying another because their output has been abysmal for the past decade. Buying studios in the past hasn’t changed their output in terms of quality and consistency, don’t know if it will in the future.
This is why I keep telling people to do some research.

This is MS/Xbox studios, which was making content for them. Study clear, and see why they suffered massively from lack of content.

Closed studios

BUNGIE​

• Founded: 1991
  • Bought by Microsoft: 2000

DIGITAL ANVIL​

• Founded: 1996
  • Bought By Microsoft: 2000

ENSEMBLE​

• Founded: 1995
  • Bought by Microsoft: 2001

LIONHEAD STUDIOS​

• Founded: 1997
  • Bought By Microsoft: 2006

PRESS PLAY​

• Founded: 2006
  • Bought By Microsoft: 2012

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I’ve heard this same bullshit excuse so many times over the years that it feels like copypasta. I even changed the dates for you, you can go back many years and your comment will be in its natural habitat.
Except back then they didn’t have many active games in development. They had very few studios and projects. 2023 was always the year things would start 2018 plus 5 years. The studios they purchased deserve 5 years before crying about it. The only studio over due is ninja therory and needs to deliver in 2023. The studios who need the least work put games out 2019 or later outside ninja therory.

Obsidian October 25, 2019 outer worlds.
Inexile wasteland 3 August 28, 2020
Compulsion we happy few 10 August 2018
Undead labs state of decay 2 May 18, 2018
Double fine psconaughts 2 August 25, 2021
Ninja therory hell blade August 8, 2017
Playground delivered forza 5 and started a new studio who is working on fable.

PhaseJump

Banned
What does that mean?

giphy.gif

feynoob

Banned
How did I define GOTY? I am not talking about the awards.
That is what Goty is.
Unless you mean epic games, which people like to play and they still do.
Ms is missing "Interactive section" as Topher Topher said.

Like Horizon or God of War?
That is not RPG. People need to seriously search what "RPG" means.

Like Gran Turismo?
2 different type of racing. Sim/ and the other one. MS flight Sim.

SP? Did you mean multiplayer, 10 year platform like Halo Infinite, right?
I guess you are taking the piss here.

Replay value dosen't exclude AAA GOTY/New IPs.
Just say "New IP".

And Sony is not investing in "gameplay, engagement, replay value" games?.
lets not bring Sony here. They have no reason to be mentioned. Dont want to derail the topic.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
No multiplayer paywall - Microsoft has it's own servers. Take the hit, but gain customer goodwill.

Free to play games, where the users come first - not the monetization. Halo Battle Royale, Gears Battle Royale and Forza Battle Royale - F2P. Give monthly extra stuff to GamePass subscribers ala Twitch Prime.

Focus more on quality instead of quantity. 40% of GamePass games could be cut and no one would care.

That is what Goty is.
Unless you mean epic games, which people like to play and they still do.
Ms is missing "Interactive section" as Topher Topher said.
You ask me to define GOTY. And I did. is not about the awards perse. Is about the quality and the zeitgeist they achieve. (In the context of AAA)

That is not RPG. People need to seriously search what "RPG" means.
Videogames are not caged in one "pure" genre anymore. They have become more like hybrid genres.

2 different type of racing. Sim/ and the other one. MS flight Sim.
That is not what you meant. Don't try to spin it.

I guess you are taking the piss here.
The moment you said:

"MS direction has been gameplay"

How can you take that statement seriously?

Just say "New IP".
No. You need to be quite categorical.

lets not bring Sony here. They have no reason to be mentioned. Dont want to derail the topic.
Because you are the one assuming that:

1. AAA/GOTY/New Ips = narrative driven games.

2. That for some reason Narrative Driven Games = no "gameplay"

One dosen't exclude the other. MS is lacking in AAA/GOTY/New IPs regardless of the type of game.

feynoob

Banned
You ask me to define GOTY. And I did. is not about the awards perse. Is about the quality and the zeitgeist they achieve. (In the context of AAA)
You are having issues with that.
What quality do you really want? More gameplay? Graphic overhaul? Focus story? There are too many quality options. You cant just go a head and say quality games.

Nintendo games are garbage graphic, yet gameplay is good. Do you mean that type of quality?

Videogames are not caged in one "pure" genre anymore. They have become more like hybrid genres.
You cant put a skin to a genre, and call it another genre.
You can have RPG elements, but that wont make it RPG.

That is not what you meant. Don't try to spin it.
GT/Motorsport/Flight Sim are sims. While horizon is arcade.

The moment you said:

"MS direction has been gameplay"

How can you take that statement seriously?
They arent heavy based story. They are gameplay focused. Meaning your focus is the gameplay "Less story, more gameplay".

No. You need to be quite categorical.
They have a problem with their IPs. They need new IPs, which can give you what you want.

Because you are the one assuming that:

1. AAA/GOTY/New Ips = narrative driven games.
Narritive games have the advantage of using emotions, which is a powerful tool. You can attract audience that way, by telling compelling story. But that alone isnt enough. You need to have a good gameplay, which can carry the story.
In essence, both have to complement each other. Rd2 with arthur, Gow with kratos new family.
For someone like MS, you wont find that much. Since their games covers all kind of genre.
Only new IPs can deliver that. Current IP wont work well with that. Unless they reboot halo.

2. That for some reason Narrative Driven Games = no "gameplay"
see above.

One dosen't exclude the other. MS is lacking in AAA/GOTY/New IPs regardless of the type of game.
MS have certain type of genre, which doesnt get goty recognition. FH5. Despite winning some awards, it didnt win goty, due to its being a racing game.

The point is, they need a new IP with a different genre. A game, which can have a chance for those. That is what "You" want.

You could have saved everyone from these posts.

feynoob

Banned
Have you seen the title of this thread?
Yes I did. And its justified honestly. This year is proof that MS isnt taking Xbox seriously.

One of the key point that I hate about MS is stopping x360 3rd party program.

Its really bad, that they stopped doing that. Those are what made x360 great. Especially when xbox had low studios head count. I dont see that now.
The only timed exclusives are just b- and below tier.

Chukhopops

So at what point does MS become successful since they already have passed the 100M MAUs back in Jan 2021?

Can only one brand be successful in each market? Is Samsung not successful in smartphones because Apple makes more money?

I can’t believe the amount of shitting on MS for any reason those days. Feels like a full time job to constantly spend the energy to quote-mine, distort and repeat the same crap ad nauseum.

feynoob

Banned
So at what point does MS become successful since they already have passed the 100M MAUs back in Jan 2021?
Console numbers doesnt support that. Plus PC is also included in those numbers.

Can only one brand be successful in each market? Is Samsung not successful in smartphones because Apple makes more money?
Succesful brands dont leave their fans starve for content. Please aknowledge their mistakes.

I can’t believe the amount of shitting on MS for any reason those days. Feels like a full time job to constantly spend the energy to quote-mine, distort and repeat the same crap ad nauseum.
Crticism is justified.
Look at here#70.
What company allows that to happen? Especially for 2 and half gen.

You are having issues with that.
What quality do you really want?
Is not that I want.

Is:

What do you think Microsoft needs to do to become successful?​

MS has good hardware
MS has good ecosystem.
MS has the best value in gaming, aka GP.

Why is MS lacking?:

AAA/GOTY/New IPs. Consistently.

More gameplay? Graphic overhaul? Focus story? There are too many quality options. You cant just go a head and say quality games.
I dunno why is so hard for you to understand:

AAA/GOTY/New IPs.

Nintendo games are garbage graphic, yet gameplay is good. Do you mean that type of quality?
I already told you. I will tell you again:

AAA = The highest production values, big Scope, Bleeding Edge technology.

GOTY= Quality, zeitgeist-Generation defining. Etc

You cant put a skin to a genre, and call it another genre.
You can have RPG elements, but that wont make it RPG.
So, an RPG cannot be a AAA/GOTY game?

GT/Motorsport/Flight Sim are sims. While horizon is arcade.
You are talking about "replay value, gameplay, engagement"

Gran Turismo fits that.
They arent heavy based story. They are gameplay focused. Meaning your focus is the gameplay "Less story, more gameplay".
😆. I will fix you poor argument:

MS identity has been co-op/multiplayer driven. And that's about it.

A game being " gameplay driven" has nothing to do with being or not being AAA/GOTY.

Halo and Gears were once AAA/GOTY/New IPs.

They have a problem with their IPs. They need new IPs, which can give you what you want.
Is not what I want

Is:

Narritive games have the advantage of using emotions, which is a powerful tool. You can attract audience that way, by telling compelling story. But that alone isnt enough. You need to have a good gameplay, which can carry the story.
In essence, both have to complement each other. Rd2 with arthur, Gow with kratos new family.
For someone like MS, you wont find that much. Since their games covers all kind of genre.
Only new IPs can deliver that. Current IP wont work well with that. Unless they reboot halo.
You keep focusing in Narratives Games, that is not the only issue MS has:

MS is lacking in AAA/GOTY/New IP Regardless of type of game.

see above.

MS have certain type of genre,
which doesnt get goty recognition. FH5. Despite winning some awards, it didnt win goty, due to its being a racing game.
Wrong. MS neglected the production of AAA/GOTY/New IP regardless of genre

The point is, they need a new IP with a different genre. A game, which can have a chance for those. That is what "You" want.
Is not what I want

Is:

You could have saved everyone from these posts.
😆

feynoob

Banned
New IPs. Consistently.
Its all boils down to this. These 2 are the ones that would deliver, what you want.

To get a goty, or what ever you are looking for, they would need to make new IPs. And they need to drop those games consistantly. That way, they could have a hit or two. Until then, wait for them to hit that train.

Nothing happens magically. It takes time.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Console numbers doesnt support that. Plus PC is also included in those numbers.

Succesful brands dont leave their fans starve for content. Please aknowledge their mistakes.

Crticism is justified.
Look at here#70.
What company allows that to happen? Especially for 2 and half gen.
Why do you try to force your opinion on others and why do people have to acknowledge anything?

Why do you pretend to know how « fans » feel about the brand or service?

Let me give you my perspective:
- I have an XSX and a slightly aging PC;
- I pay for GPU;
- I have seen a steady stream of games I have enjoyed in the service this year. The list is too long to be quoted but stuff like Total War Warhammer 3, Tunic, Immortality, Weird West, Norco, Hitman Trilogy and many others;
- What am I supposed to be upset about? Does it matter that those games are not exclusive when it would have cost me the price of a Series console to buy them all?

Your argument seems to be that MS is bad because they don’t have God of War or Spider-Man and that’s a fair opinion. But not everyone thinks that and personally I don’t give a shit about either, give me a good, well curated service offering AA and indie games and I’ll be delighted.

So in short, I’m not acknowledging shit.

Top Bottom