• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think the talks at Nintendo are like right now?

While they don’t make a lot of money from 3rd party stuff outside of Minecraft do you think they are having sit downs and team meetings about all these acquisitions? The video game industry in general is consolidating and they ARE part of the larger gaming industry. They still get stuff tony hawk, Spyro, crash, elder scrolls, doom, etc. etc.

If more companies, including Sony start buying more stuff do you think that puts more pressure on them? For example. Nintendo lives off its evergreen titles, but theres gonna come a time where nintendo switch sales are gonna slow down, and the Wii-U library padded a lot of those long release gaps. What happens when Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and those games sales inevitably slow down? Do they go back to heavily relying on indies? What if Spartacus and Gamepass start getting so heavy into it that they start hoarding most of them?

I think its interesting how people don’t really consider Nintendos position in all this but surely they will eventually be more effected than people think.

Impotaku

Looks at japanese sales charts & how many 3rd parties are on switch hmm zero convern. Between 3rd parties & nintendos output it seems to be keeping them at the top of the charts in their home region. When a console with a fraction of the power of next gen is bitch slapping both of the others combined i don't think nintendo is gonna worry at all LOL

Kazza

I think all Nintendo's meetings are going something like this:

it-prints-money-switch.gif

But seriously, I think they are pretty safe to just continue to coast along for the next decade. Just release a slightly upgraded Switch 2 in 2024 with DLSS for 4K (I really think the original is still going to be selling like crazy all the way up until then) and continue to release the usual Mario Kart and Zelda iterations. I'm personally not too into Nintendo at the moment, put lots of people obviously are.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Why would Nintendo care? They have the entire market share of the handheld industry atm. I don’t see Valve’s deck doing much to cut into that And that is really their only major competitioN. Neither Xbox nor Sony have handheld releases so there are still hundreds of indies, A, AA, and AAA third party studios that release products on the system.

Chastten

Banned
"So, what character should we add to Smash Bros next?"

In all seriousness, doubt this has 'em spooked in any way. Maybe once Sony buys SquareEnix, or a different Japanese company gets bought out that they might act. I mean, Western developers barely even support the Switch so it wouldn't really effect 'em in any way.

"So, what character should we add to Smash Bros next?"

In all seriousness, doubt this has 'em spooked in any way. Maybe once Sony buys SquareEnix, or a different Japanese company gets bought out that they might act. I mean, Western developers barely even support the Switch so it wouldn't really effect 'em in any way.

i think the japanese devs are more at risk from being acquired by chinese companies at this point.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

Nintendo will simply expand its internal development to keep up. They've recently began building two new development centers near its HQ. Microsoft may be buying their way to dominance, but Nintendo (and Sony's) big answer for the long-term is building new teams and curating up and coming talent.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
They’re probably too busy counting money to care.

If it had been a Japanese publisher/developer I think it’d have been a bigger deal for them. The main thing I can see being an issue is if Sony chooses to retaliate by managing to somehow purchase one or more big Japanese publishers.

Will Nintendo leadership be discussing this? Yes. Would they prefer Switch to get games from Bethesda and Activision Blizzard? Yes.

Are they going to retaliate by acquiring publishers themselves? No. At most they will buy more stock in Japanese publishers to keep them independent.

im not really thinking aobut it that narrowly. like nintendos only option is to acquire publishers.

I think i could easily see switch get a gamepass streaming app. Nintendo doesn't make a lot of money off 3rd party games anyway so it doesn't directly hurt them to put big streaming games on it using microsofts servers and getting a cut from it.

people will still buy nintendo games the same rate they always do and get gamepass money. Or.... it forces nintenedo into more of a subscription model to keep up eventually

Last edited:
No clue. There's no doubt there's a discussion going on though. It's a wake-up call to where the industry is headed and everyone including Nintendo needs to think about what that might look like in the next decade and beyond.

There are a lot of smaller things that aren't being considered either. When you have so many studios and publishers involved in this subscription-based future who don't have as much pressure for their games to become hits, how is that going to affect talent attraction compared to others in the industry that need their games to sell well? You're going to find more job security making games for Activision now instead of Nintendo.

Holammer

People love to think of Nintendo as sitting atop a lotus leaf ignorant of the corrupted world.
In reality they do market research , study the market and current trends like everyone else. It's not lost on them that Microsoft just coughed up more money for Actionvision-Blizzard than Nintendo is valued at.

They know investors will get cranky and start demanding shit again. The nerve right? Like when they pushed them into entering the Mobile market.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Nintendo don't give a flying fuck about the Activision deal and are probably talking about the Switch successor (Super Switch?), new switch games, cooperate gang bangs....... Almost anything other than Microsoft buying Activision.

Bragr

Banned
Nintendo worked against this sort of thing since the Gamecube, which was the machine that taught Nintendo that they couldn't beat Sony at expensive high-end hardware and licensed games, so they built less powerful but more innovative hardware and stayed true to keeping their franchises exclusive. They built themselves a path that doesn't involve going head to head against Playstation and Xbox. They are fine, and their future looks bright.

OuterLimits

Nintendo thrives on 1st party games obviously, but also Japanese 3rd parties and Indies. So while the Switch certainly has more western support than previous gens, it's not exactly crucial to their success. I say this as Civilization VI is one of my most played games on the system though. Lol.

I know everyone's quick to post that Nintendo is totally independent of anything that happens anywhere else in this industry. I don't believe it's true. Of course most people buy their stuff for Nintendo 1st party output, but can you imagine a console with literally zero (so less than Wii U) third party support? I'm pretty sure Nintendo would care a lot if, say, Capcom gets bought by one of the other two. Capcom games are huge on Nintendo systems.

Woopah

im not really thinking aobut it that narrowly. like nintendos only option is to acquire publishers.

I think i could easily see switch get a gamepass streaming app. Nintendo doesn't make a lot of money off 3rd party games anyway so it doesn't directly hurt them to put big streaming games on it using microsofts servers and getting a cut from it.

people will still buy nintendo games the same rate they always do and get gamepass money. Or.... it forces nintenedo into more of a subscription model to keep up eventually
Nintendo makes quite a big chunk of money from third parties so they definitely don't want to lose that (about half of software sales on Switch are third party).

They could let Microsoft put Gamepass on Switch, but only if they get a very generous cut of the subscription money.

Top Bottom