• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think the talks at Nintendo are like right now?

OldBoyGamer

Banned
I don’t think Nintendo care much about the acquisitions. They’ll mention it in meetings as we all do. But they’ve long cut their own path in this industry and nothing the other two platform holders can do really effects them.

They’re moving away from the console power wars plus relying so heavily on their own IP’s has left them largely protected.

Astral Dog

LCAT5WH.gif

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Those of you who say they don't care are in serious denial. If thier consoles start to look like they have no 3rd party game support, it hurts the overall image of the brand and potential sales of the console. At a certain point they just don't have enough content fast enough. So as much as many of you are downplaying 3rd party support as irrelevant, the history of game consoles points to the fact that it matters. They definitely care and are worried about it.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Those of you who say they don't care are in serious denial. If thier consoles start to look like they have no 3rd party game support, it hurts the overall image of the brand and potential sales of the console. At a certain point they just don't have enough content fast enough. So as much as many of you are downplaying 3rd party support as irrelevant, the history of game consoles points to the fact that it matters. They definitely care and are worried about it.
Have you seen the Switch’s line up of major third past titles? It’s almost non existent. Their first party titles have been bumped by AA and indie games. Even EA can’t be bothered to put much more than a version of Fifa that has only changed team rosters since the first switch version was released.

Astral Dog

Of course Nintendo cares and carefully watches what Microsoft is doing,but do you expect them to go on an acquisition spree because 'lol consolidation' i only see that happening if they feel really threatened, because they are quite conservative spending their money, its not their style going for big purchases or bidding wars as they have said. Third parties won't dry out anytime soon and for some reason CoD hasn't been a thing on Nintendo for years, right now they have a succesful platform to take care of and thats what they should be focusing on.

In the future, if Xbox/GamePass becomes so big it starts eating the Switch we will see Nintendo react, im not sure if Microsoft will ever place the japanese market as a priority for example.

What i can say is Nintendo would rather sell games at $60 than take a loss for years with GamePass model, unless they are able to sell their service at a higher price

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Have you seen the Switch’s line up of major third past titles? It’s almost non existent. Their first party titles have been bumped by AA and indie games. Even EA can’t be bothered to put much more than a version of Fifa that has only changed team rosters since the first switch version was released.

There has been just enough for them to say they actual 3rd party support. If that's taken away it's a real issue.

Ellery

Considering that Nintendo doesn't do certain things I 100% know would give them millions if not billions of easily freely available money I have completely giving up on trying to think what Nintendo could possibly be talking about.

They have such a gigantic mind share and popularity from their IPs that it is mind boggling how they go about not doing more with certain things that are so extremely obvious.

Shubh_C63

These acquisitions affects Nintendo the least. They have a core audience and their games are something parents feel free to let their kids try, something I suspected but learned now that people around me are getting married, instead of letting their child play Gears of War.

In 2032 Nintendo will release Nintendo Wii again with AR and everything for the next 10 years will change for them. I see them as a hardware company more.

Nintendo and Microsoft seem to have a healthy relationship. Cuphead, Ori, Banjo Kazooie all on Switch. They aren't as directly competing as Sony is. I honestly see a lot of titles from both Activision and Bethesda still coming out on Switch if it makes sense. Possibly even more support than prior.

I honestly think Microsoft will publish titles on the PS5 (like Minecraft) and all multi-platform titles will stay that way. I just believe that there will be some new IP that will probably be somewhat exclusive coming from some of these studios, utilizing the talent of these studios for things other than yearly CODs etc.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Nintendo is not entirely immune (nothing is), but I never worry about them. They seem to dictate their own terms a lot. Ie - they actually make a decent profit from hardware sales when most companies do not; they implemented a radically different motion/control system when it wasn't deemed smart and then everyone else tried to imitate it (and kinda failed). Don't get me wrong, I'm no Nintendo fanboy. I really don't give a shit what lives and dies, but they seem to have staying power having been around this long.

Amin_Parker

I honestly believe that Nintendo has nothing to worry about in what's going on in the video game industry concerning consolidation. Most of us understand that Nintendo lives in their own bubble and that bubble is extremely profitable. They are the only first-party driven platform in this industry. Their franchises sell very well and their ecosystem really truly benefits them. The only thing I want them to do personally is hire more skilled individuals to work within their 1st party Studios. I would love to see monolith soft become a little bit more bigger. I think the best way they can do this is to hire more people and that's all they really need to do. They don't really need to gobble up any other Studios. However if they had to buy any developers out there I would like for them to buy Square Enix. So that they can have another Studio to go along with monolith soft that focuses on jrpgs.

Last edited:
Nintendo doesn't give two craps about Activision being bought. If it was SquareEnix, Sega or Capcom, sure, but Activision means next to nothing to them.

Activision is 95% Call of Duty. Call of Duty isn't something Switch players or Nintendo care about.

If Microsoft games make sense on the platform, they'll be put there anyways. Just look at Ori and the Blind Forrest, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Minecraft, Minecraft Dungeons, etc.

Last edited:

OldBoyGamer

Banned
And don’t forget too that MS has gone out of their way in recent times to have a good relationship with Nintendo so it wouldn’t surprise me for more MS published games to show up on switch 2 or whatever it’ll be called.

kyussman

They are probably doing what they always do....planning what their next crazy idea will be in gaming....sometimes they hit,sometimes they don't....I'm not a fan of Nntendo games but at least they have a go when it comes to new ideas.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

I don’t think Nintendo care much about the acquisitions. They’ll mention it in meetings as we all do. But they’ve long cut their own path in this industry and nothing the other two platform holders can do really effects them.

They’re moving away from the console power wars plus relying so heavily on their own IP’s has left them largely protected.
They aren’t “moving away”, they’ve completely left after the GameCube.

Woopah

They have definitely been negatively impacted by it, but not by too much. An acquisition of Capcom, Square Enix, Koei Tecmo or Bandai Namco would impact them much much more.

If Sony decides to do anything in the japan region Nintendo will act Mind you most classic Square, Capcom, Bandai Namco, Koei ect have been on nintendo systems nintendo will probally get the same games they've been getting from activision because mindcraft and Doom ,quake ect are on the switch and Microsoft owns them.

Mozza

Nintendo was the smartest of the 3, they got out of the race, consolidated everything into 1 device ..
Totally agree, Nintendo could see what was going to happen in the core console market once Microsoft entered the fray, and that's why they decided to go in a different direction.

THE DUCK

Nintendo doesn't give two craps about Activision being bought. If it was SquareEnix, Sega or Capcom, sure, but Activision means next to nothing to them.

Activision is 95% Call of Duty. Call of Duty isn't something Switch players or Nintendo care about.

If Microsoft games make sense on the platform, they'll be put there anyways. Just look at Ori and the Blind Forrest, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Minecraft, Minecraft Dungeons, etc.

Every little bit hurts. Also the way things are going, they have to worried about the companies you listed above, it's only a matter of time until somebody gobbles them up.

They are largely protected as long as they have exclusive run of the mobile market, but if MS or Sony jump in, this all changes.
Also if MS or Sony launches their own handheld, you can bet the switch 2 is not going to get Minecraft or anything else from that company.

Woopah

Every little bit hurts. Also the way things are going, they have to worried about the companies you listed above, it's only a matter of time until somebody gobbles them up.

They are largely protected as long as they have exclusive run of the mobile market, but if MS or Sony jump in, this all changes.
Also if MS or Sony launches their own handheld, you can bet the switch 2 is not going to get Minecraft or anything else from that company.
What software would they not get if MS or Sony made a handheld? They would definitely still get Minecraft.

THE DUCK

What software would they not get if MS or Sony made a handheld? They would definitely still get Minecraft.

No, they would not, nor would they get any other AAA titles that ms has. Your in serious denial. What, you want ms to give buyers no exclusives? I bet you think starfield and doom are coming out on ps5 too.

Amin_Parker

Do you mean hybrid? Because traditional handheld systems are outdated nowadays

Saber

Gold Member
Smells like one those topics excited fanboys with soycuck faces try to paint everyone as doomed since the Activision purchase(we even have the "denial" argument spam here).

I would say its pretty simple, they probably don't care. And if they had the money? Probably wouldn't waste on it.

HF2014

I think they are discussing behind close door atm which two titles they are going to bring to Snes online. Serious stuff.

FStubbs

How many Activision/Blizzard games were actually big on Switch? Not CoD. Maybe DIablo?

Also - Microsoft has an odd history of actually putting games like Ori on Switch. Anything they make that's a fit for Switch will likely still make it over.

Top Bottom