• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think the youth of today thinks of the graphics?

Hunnybun

From 1 to 2 meters… depends of my position.
Seated at the start of the couch it is like 1 meter… lying on it can reach 2.5 meters.

Unless you've got a really small 4ktv then that's probably too close. I mean if that's how you like it then that's fine, obviously, but yeah you're probably gonna find a lot of games too soft because developers will target the mass of people who are like 1.5x (and more) screen size away from their TVs.

I used to sit about 1.2x away from my 65" tv and I found 1440p or less a bit hard to take, and blatantly less sharp than 4k. So I rearranged things to like 1.4x away and I still see almost all the same details but without feeling anything like the same sacrifice at lower resolutions. For me it's an overall better experience.

Kamina

Golden Boy
They are but babies when it come to games,
They should first have to go though a year of OG gameboy or NES to understand what is it all about.

Ryu Kaiba

If the game is good enough 16bit can succed.
ErVfR9l.png
9xjIWPN.jpg

Knightime_X

My 17yrl son thinks minecraft graphics look ok.
He is even ok with PS2, Gamecube, Xbox 1 (emulated high res) graphics.

It's when it comes to 32bit he thinks they're kinda ulgy.. but not really.
Games like Castlevania SOTN look rather "blocky" and overly pixelated.

I told my son to take that back or i'll shove him back into my balls.
Ofc his older brother was like "fUcKiN dEW iT, DAD!!!!!!!!!"

Last edited:

RafterXL

My nephew is weirdly ageist when it comes to games. He'll play shit looking games like Roblox and Minecraft, but when I bought him Super Mario 3D AllStars, all he did was talk about how much worse the games looked than SM3DW. Like nonstop shitting on these games. For whatever reason he has no problem playing games that are currently popular and look like garbage but any older games he won't touch. Fucking YouTube has ruined him.

Of course this is the same kid I bought an XSX for Christmas and he's literally played nothing on it but mobile type trash games, so he's probably a lost cause anyway.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
strongly disagree there... like not even remotely, it's sometimes even the exact opposite tbh.

but back to the topic: I guess kids these days also don't really care about graphics? I mean look at what they play... Roblox, which looks like utter shit let's not beat around the bush... like not even in terms of fidelity alone but also the artstyle is garbage tier shit

and they play Minecraft, which has a good artstyle but is super simple in terms of presentation.

or Fortnite, which looks nice enough but isn't the craziest either, and most kids play that on a phone or a Switch, on which the game looks way worse than on a decent PC or Console.

edit:

better graphics only add more possibilities for developers to express themselves but do not guarantee immersion.

it's all about
gameplay, leveldesign, game design + atmosphere. to date the most immersive game to me was maybe Breath of the Wild. Player agency is everything when it comes to immersion.
if you have a lot of control and interactivity you also feel way more connected to the world.
the exact opposite of immersion I would say would be a game like Uncharted 4, where all of the above is limited to an extreme and so highly context sensitive and scripted that you lose all connection with the player character

I never said better visuals were the only thing that increases immersions.

And would BOTW be as immersive if it had N64 visuals?

Anyway its not even the main point of the thread, its just a reason why I think better graphics improve a game, I dont see why people need to start pretty and pointless arguments about it.

GymWolf

Most of them play with stuff like fortnite or minecraft that has vomit inducing graphic\artstyle, new generations doesn't really care about graphic like old nerds in forums like us, they only care of what is the hottest thing of the moment.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Today's kids grow up with 3D from the start, and from my personal observations, as long as they're having fun they simply don't care whether the gane has cartoony aesthetics or aims for realism.

BigBooper

Gaming nerd arguments will be so boring and pointless in 20 years when these kids grow up...wait, is that what our parents thought 30 years ago?

I think you have definitions mixed up here.
If u think thief remade in UE5 would not be more imersive and visually interesting there something is wrong with you.

I find Demon's Souls PS3 version more immersive than PS5 version, mostly cause it's more atmospheric.

Same for Prey on my Series S. It looks like ass cause it's Xbone version. But game still absolutely shines and is my most favourite immersive games in recent times.

I am not sure a more technically impressive game is more immersive. It needs to get art/ atmosphere/ feel right.

Three

Youth today spend more time with a smartphone and don't care about graphics. Back in the day the youth had a console before they had a phone for games and software generations meant that graphics were important. Kids look less at graphics now and more towards compatibility even if that means on a potato phone.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
My daughter (14) never mentions good graphics in games or good effects in movies - she was born into the era of lifelike videogame and movie graphics, so never learned to appreciate it.

At least she'll probably never hang around this place telling everyone how things were better in the old days...

Baby Boomers Internet GIF

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I find Demon's Souls PS3 version more immersive than PS5 version, mostly cause it's more atmospheric.

Same for Prey on my Series S. It looks like ass cause it's Xbone version. But game still absolutely shines and is my most favourite immersive games in recent times.

I am not sure a more technically impressive game is more immersive. It needs to get art/ atmosphere/ feel right.

Yes, people are going to have different thoughts on what improvement (if any) better visuals bring to a game.

Top Bottom