• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think will be the most “innovative” and “next-gen” feeling game released next year?

What game do you think will be the stand out innovative title as far as AAA games go next year?

• Forspoken

• Starfield

• Redfall

• The Finals

• Baldurs Gate 3

• Forza Motorosport

• Final Fantatsy XVI

• Suicide Squad

• Pragmata

• Dead Space

• Spider-Man 2

• Horizon Call of The Mountain

• Arc Raiders

• STALKER 2

• Jedi Survivor

• Stellar Blade

• Ark 2

• Zelda Tears of The Kingdom

• Wild Hearts

• Alan Wake 2

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think this year really is the last big HURRAH for major AAA single player cross-gen games with Elden Ring and Ragnarok being the closing act. I think next year this gen is finally taking off as far as current gen only titles being teased, im sure we will get more announcements at the Keighlys but from what we know so far…

Which game do you feel will bring the true goods?

Examples
  • Makes good usage of SSD within the game mechanics
  • Makes good use of ray tracing
  • Makes good use of a next gen only console specific hardware feature (dualsense, quick resume, etc.)

Brings something entirely new or unique gameplay wise that could be done on ps4/xbox one even if its not a huge part of the game (rift apart, flight sim)

Crayon

Probly the vr one. I think the circling combat is pretty smart. Idk how good it will actually be because there's some major unknowns like if the traversal will be interesting or what amount of freedom you get to explore. But as far as the most next gen? Vr is where it's at.

GenericUser

Starfeld without a doubt. Microsoft not releasing it on Xbox one is giving it away. They would obviously love to get that shit running on the one to cash in some extra money, but the game simply wouldn't run on the old consoles without some serious downgrades.

Besides that, just look at the 2023 line up in general. Isn't that going to be one of the best years in gaming ever? I'm fucking excited.

Jennings

Examples
  • Makes good use of a next gen only console specific hardware feature (dualsense, quick resume, etc.)
Utilizing gimmicky hardware or software features doesn't make a game feel any more or less next gen to me. For me it's all about the scope of design and afforded gameplay and content that older systems wouldn't be able to handle well, or at all. This is why games like Red Faction: Guerilla and Just Cause 2 felt years ahead of their time compared to games like 360-era Gears of War or Halo titles, in addition to utterly eclipsing every single prior gen game, and it's why they still hold up much better today than their less visionary contemporaries.

So for me, Starfield has the greatest opportunity to truly impress on a next gen level compared to other titles that promise much more limited experiences. For me it's about the game.

Last edited:
Starfield: Next big BGS games which is top 2 in the industry in open world gaming and still the most revolutionary WRPG in the industry. They might miss but based on what is being shown it seems they are dialing up their strengths and expanding it further.

BOTW2: BOTW was the last revolutionary game in the industry. I can't predict what they'll do to change it up but I know they have smth in store.

Probably Spider-Man. Insomniac is on another level. Miles Morales and Rachet where both fantastic showcases for PS5. I have no doubt that the next gen only Spider-Man 2 will make a big jump in fidelity.

Yeah i found this cool gif preview

tumblr_py59hxUlhj1xkav89o1_540.gif

Nothing innovative about those games, Spider-man is a copy and paste of other open world games. Visual fidelity has nothing to do with innovative game design.

The thread isn’t just about innovation, its also about ‘next gen’ feeling…which if a game looks so good and performs so well that it doesn’t look like it would ever run on a last gen console, that fits

shubik

Nothing innovative about those games, Spider-man is a copy and paste of other open world games. Visual fidelity has nothing to do with innovative game design.
The question was innovative and next gen feeling. And I absolutely think that Miles Morales and Ratchet felt next gen.

Of course, the Spiderman games are not innovative. But they are still fantastic games with great combat, a good story, and top-notch presentation

begotten

I think Zelda and Spider-Man 2 are a definite.

BG3 and Pragmata (based on the fact we've seen nothing) are ones to keep an eye on.

Starfield could be revolutionary for BGS if they release it without half the bugs as their other games at launch.

GymWolf

Lol ok, Rtx, controller gimmick and using the ssd is not exactly what i would call innovative but ok...

If we only take into account these things, Spidey 2 is probably gonna be more advanced tech wise, i really don't see any other game exstensively using the gimmick trifecta like that one.

Stalker 2 could be as good tech wise but i don't see it using the dildosense 5 like insomniac.

Last edited:

hinch7

Not sure on innovating in terms of implementing features or mechanics or whatever.. but Pragmata certainly looks fairly interesting for a new IP.

If it doesn't get the Deep Down treatment.

Three

Next gen feeling is kind of a weird definition. I voted the HCotM game just because I think VR this gen is going to see a bigger leap both in controls and graphics than regular games so would feel more next gen.

Sakura

I don't really think any of them will be that innovative to be honest, and I'm not sure what "next-gen feeling" means, so I'll just say Zelda.

Markio128

The most likely ‘wow’ games will probably be Starfield, Spider-man 2, Forza, Stellar Blade, FF16 and Hellblade 2 - and maybe add Stalker 2 as well, at least visually. A very good list of games.

BOTW2 I doubt will wow, except maybe in art direction, but the game itself will be class.

Then add whatever cool games are released for PSVR2.

As for the rest, there could also be gems in there, but I’d be surprised if they are ‘wow’ games.

hinch7

The Finals might be a good one actually. A playground of multiplayer maps with building and enviroments completely destructable and major part of the game mechanics.

Reminds me of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 in terms of destruction but turned to 11 and beyond. Would love to see more of this in games.

Also game not listed on here.. May be something like a new Battlefield has potential as well.

The thread isn’t just about innovation, its also about ‘next gen’ feeling…which if a game looks so good and performs so well that it doesn’t look like it would ever run on a last gen console, that fits
Obviously visually it's going to look very impressive so I'd say I agree with you on that part. The innovation thing is a lot harder to nail down when we've had pretty much everything at this point.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Examples
None of those features would be an innovation.

I only picked Alan Wake 2 because we have seen so little of it they have a chance to do something unique.
But realistically its probably going to be Zelda.
Assuming they are building on BOTW which was insane, they will have to do something crazy.

Last edited:

Rudius

Horizon Call of The Mountain will be "next gen" in all aspects, including technology and controls. For example: it will be one of the first commercial games to employ eye-tracking, both for better performance and in game interaction.

Something like Spider-Man 2 will have nothing of the sort, despite the probably amazing graphics and polish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom