• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does it say about me if I'm having more riveting conversations with ChatGPT than with my actual friends?

Drizzlehell

Banned
I started using it for a project that I'm currently working on for my job and throughout the project I just started asking it random questions for fun. It recently helped me find an obscure book that I couldn't remember the title of and been looking for it for years, we spend a couple of hours talking about astrophysics and determinism, it tells me jokes, rattles off detailed answers about video game plots and trivia whenever I ask it to, and it doesn't get offended whenever I correct it about something, nor does it ever act like a dick. I even taught it a new name.

Now, obviously, these conversations aren't as natural as with real people, but while talking to my friends is fun in a sense that we can just talk about some down-to-earth life related stuff, or just make fun of some some absolute smoothbrained bullshit, we hardly ever engage in conversations about things that I actually find mentally stimulating. And I don't mean to be a dick about it but it's just how it is, lol.

bender

What time is it?
futurama-amy.gif

Imaginary friends still count right?

Jokes aside, you're describing the cliques on the Internet for the most part really. Just replace that commonality with anonymous humans on the internet for ChatGPT and viola. If you enjoy that outlet who cares what others think?

Now back to the jokes, InB4 RealSexDoll announces its ChatGPT partnership.

Hoddi

Doesn't that just mean that your friends have different interests than you? Or is it really anything to worry about?

I still totally get it. Me and my friends are all grown up with different jobs and kids etc. We still keep a group channel on Signal and the discussions can get pretty weird there. One has gone completely gone down the YouTube hole where everything is 'woke' while the rest of us just want to talk about 80s bands and what the best Bond song is.

It's just a part of growing up, I think. I still take part even though my interests lie elsewhere. And I think that's just normal.

nush

Gold Member
I started using it for a project that I'm currently working on for my job and throughout the project I just started asking it random questions for fun. It recently helped me find an obscure book that I couldn't remember the title of and been looking for it for years, we spend a couple of hours talking about astrophysics and determinism, it tells me jokes, rattles off detailed answers about video game plots and trivia whenever I ask it to, and it doesn't get offended whenever I correct it about something, nor does it ever act like a dick. I even taught it a new name.

Now, obviously, these conversations aren't as natural as with real people, but while talking to my friends is fun in a sense that we can just talk about some down-to-earth life related stuff, or just make fun of some some absolute smoothbrained bullshit, we hardly ever engage in conversations about things that I actually find mentally stimulating. And I don't mean to be a dick about it but it's just how it is, lol.
It means you're talking to a program made by guys just like you. AI conformation bias.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I cannot find YT video I saw a few weeks back, it had exaggerated manner of young people talking that was a long series of acknowledging the other person, then immediately focusing on themselves and talking about themselves and vice versa.

I would say in general humans today do not know how to communicate, and also communicate in a social setting.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Maybe you are more open with the computer than the people. And there is no pressure with the computer. With a computer there is nothing to lose. The computer is also an illusion. Go be with people.
Hmm... That may be so but I generally try to be open about myself without bulshitting people around. The only time I would stop myself from speaking my mind unless I knew I was talking to a trusted audience, is with some really dark and fucked up jokes.
Doesn't that just mean that your friends have different interests than you? Or is it really anything to worry about?
I suppose not, I still enjoy spending time with people IRL. But it's nice to have an outlet for the kind of conversations that I normally wouldn't have with them, and it feels kinda weird that it took a chat bot to get that, lol.

Wildebeest

This sort of chat bot isn't good for information on subjects like physics or philosophy since it makes up a lot of BS, but if you want to talk BS and not be judged then it is better than watching a qualified professor talk on YouTube or something. It isn't going to get defensive when pushed on subjects it doesn't understand, the opposite, in fact.

Spyxos

I tried to talk to the thing a few times, but either it was offline again. Or it could not answer me. The thing seems to be very limited.

sun GIF

Last edited:
I want to try it out but I refuse to hand over my mobile number. Is there anyway to use it without having to make an account and give them my data?

The only chat thing I've used is the Bing one but that sucks.

Tams

Gold Member
Not much.

It's very uncommon to come across people who are knowledgeable enough to be able to engage you in in-depth conversation on a given subject. Of course, you can increase your chances in certain ways (for example, when I applied for Oxford; I got an interview, so ended up with a roommate who was applying for psychology and we stayed up late discussing all sorts of things).

An AI has wide-ranging knowledge, so it can be much more engaging, at least initially. How much it actually 'understands' though is in question and is the main limiting factor.

I know it's just your own anecdote, but I feel this is more about where our society is heading than you personally.

We all know what's going to happen. Machines will 100% run our personal lives soon, including telling us which people we should be interacting with. Once the first AI controlled Tinder is released it's over. We've already set the stage with social media and assigning ourselves to virtual "tribes". If you aren't having fulfilling conversations with the friends around you, don't worry - in 5 years AI will connect you with new ones.

Top Bottom