• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does MS need to do to succeed?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It’s time for exclusives original Xbox was a lot of fun Microsoft had a chance to step on Sonys and nintendos necks with the series s/x and they didn’t.

reinking

Gold Member
Change their attitude. They do not have to dominate a market to be considered successful.

Stop all of the bullshit. Grow Game Pass organically and let it support the core business of games and hardware. Game Pass is fantastic, and streaming might be in the future, but IMO they are pushing people toward streaming too soon. Sort of like they did with the "always online." It was coming but they tried to force it a generation too soon. People are speaking with their wallets. The masses are not rushing to Game Pass (yet).

This brings me to the real problem they have. Microsoft wants to brute force their way to success. They do not care what we want. I believe they live in their bubble of paid/volunteer influencers and they are not paying attention to what the current market is showing them.

I believe they have also lost in the PR space. While the cool uncle Phil stuff works in the XB bubble, it doesn't seem to be working in the general public. Let's ignore the stupid shit they say and tweet. Paying for ads to take on the CMA and EU? Really? I'm an idiot and even I know that isn't going to work. I think they have talked the talk too much and they need to start walking the walk. People are starting to see through the bs. I just hope it is not too late because I really love their hardware. The XBSX is a fantastic console. It sucks that it has been wasted this generation regardless of whether it was due to supply issues or MS holding it back. Unfortunately, I believe the XBSX will be my last MS console.

reinking

Gold Member
It’s time for exclusives original Xbox was a lot of fun Microsoft had a chance to step on Sonys and nintendos necks with the series s/x and they didn’t.
I miss old Xbox that put out ads like the Mad World GOW ad. Halo's theme still haunts me. They let the games speak for them back when, you know, they focused on games.

DrFigs

they need to release good, polished games. i think they need to rethink their focus on gamepass

MiguelItUp

How many more threads on the same subject do we need?
Exactly. I was talking about that days ago saying we already don't need more than we had, and they just keep coming, lol.

Microsoft just needs better management and control. Games will always help, but I think it's clear there's a problem there's a bit more than that.

RCU005

Why does succeeding mean “have to sell more boxes than ps5”. Why do you all see this as a zero sum game

Microsoft is the one that has had their entire focus on beating Sony. Their whole strategy for 360 was ONLY to beat Sony. They might have thought that going TV TV TV would be successful, but their goal was to beat Sony. So it’s in them.

If they focused their brand to make games, listen to developers and fans, the consequence would be to have more fans and therefore more sales. However, they don’t care about that.

Robb

Gold Member
Releasing high profile and high quality games would be a good start. Maybe get some marketing deals and increase their brand exposure.

I feel like word of mouth and hype is a big thing they’re missing out on in general. GamePass should be the talk of the town but most casual gamers I talk to barely know about it still.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just change their entire staff team, culture, attitude towards games and studios, approach towards quality control, approach towards creativity over profitability - piss easy really.

Last edited:
Make single player narrative driven experiences with good graphics and gameplay the average person won't struggle with. They're focus has been multiplayer and that's not what the vocal people on the internet play. There isn't much else they can do. You can't compete in the jrpg space bc the franchise that really matters is in bed with sony

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Hello no, not cinematics. They need games that make people subscribe longer to Game Pass. Cinematics are play and forget games, no replay value and no long-term motivation. If it has to be singpleplayer only make big RPGs. People are still playing Skyirm or Fallout.
Yeah that strategy has failed Sony for years...

simon cowell facepalm GIF

L*][*N*K

Banned
You do realize they are currently having their best year right? I mean it sucks with Redfall and the CMA but this is Microsoft’s best year in gaming so far, and the unit of measurement for that statement is revenue

PillsOff

Banned
A dose of proper management n culture that promotes COMPETENCE over social justice equity/equality idiocy

Halo Infinite is the result of 10 year dev. cycle by their primary studio made on an unlimited budget...there is your problem.

3liteDragon

I swear we have these threads annually every time there’s a huge fuck-up with Xbox, I just don’t care anymore honestly. Let them do what they do.

Fbh

They need to improve management and put their devs on a tighter leash to release better games on a more steady schedule.
I think with that they can do great on PC and cloud.

For Xbox what they need are good titles at the BEGINNING of the gen. You are coming from third place in the previous gen, no one is going to jump ship to your platform if you aren't presenting them with a REALLY solid lineup of titles. You can't afford to wait several years to start releasing more big games, at that point a large part of the core audience already made a purchasing decisions, people will already be invested in the ecosystem of the competition and another console will already have established itself as "the default".

Imagine Series X but year 1 had Forza Horizon 5, Hi fi Rush, Halo and Hell Blade 2, then Year 2 you got Starfield, Gears, Fable, Avowed, then Year 3 you get Indiana Jones, State of Deacy 3, Perfect Dark, Everwild and The Outer Wilds 2....or something like that, and it's all available day 1 on Gamepass. I honestly think things would be looking way more competitive with Ps5.
Instead Hellblade 2 was the first thing they showed for Series X and it STILL doesn't even have a release date while most of their upcoming releases have only been shown in CG format. When Square Enix manages to put out 2 big games (Forspoken and FFXVI) and your earliest announced game still doesn't even have a date you really need to start wondering what went wrong.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Whether you're selling consoles, or a gaming ecosystem, you need great games. If great games are not the center of your gaming brand, you're failing. That he doesn't fundamentally understand that is a serious problem.

Last edited:

LRKD

Good exclusive games, and firing anyone who doesn't believe that will eventually lead to success.

geary

Those are what people want tho..

People want games that are pretty, perform well, have a decent story and are engaging.
Not really. That is what the current PS fanbase want. When Sony cinematic games arrived on PC market, they were received with "meh" by the PC users. On PC, they are another game from which to move on after a week. They are not put on a pedestal as on PS.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Games. This is how Nintendo climb to the top after the failure of WiiU. I'm not saying Xbox doesn't have games it they just not getting one as often as it should, WiiU also had great games but it had same problem.

The bigger problem is even someone who is attracted to Xbox exclusive games they are just better off buying PC instead because there are still games that completely skips over Xbox even tho they have PC release like Octopath 2.

Fuz

Banned
FgvWk3O.jpg

🤔?
Yes, I'm too lazy to fire up photoshop for a shitty joke.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Not really. That is what the current PS fanbase want. When Sony cinematic games arrived on PC market, they were received with "meh" by the PC users. On PC, they are another game from which to move on after a week. They are not put on a pedestal as on PS.

No, they were not. I look at God of War, Uncharted collection, Spider-man, Horizon, Days Gone and Returnal on Steam and I see extremely positive ratings from gamers.

TLOU Remake was an exception due to its many issues at launch.

geary

No, they were not. I look at God of War, Uncharted collection, Spider-man, Horizon, Days Gone and Returnal on Steam and I see extremely positive ratings from gamers.

TLOU Remake was an exception due to its many issues at launch.
I can give you exemple of indies and AA which had better receptions and player numbers that those. What i want to say is that story cinematic games are not the only way to succeed as the person i responded said.

geary

That's all fine, but saying Sony games received "meh" reception from PC gamers just isn't true.
They are not glorified as on PS. That is what i meant through ‘meh’. PC players took them, played them and moved on to next game. Only on PS, you see ppl talking about 5-6 games 2-3 years in a row, like there are no other gamea out there to play.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
They are nit glorified as on PS. That is what i meant through ‘meh’. PC players took them, played them and moved on to next game. Only on PS, you see ppl talking about 5-6 games 2-3 years in a row.

Yeah, but I'd say that is because PC gamers are not engaged in console warrior arguments. That's really the only reason why console gamers put their games on pedestals like they do.

Akuji

Xbox needs to ditch most of their studios. Get as many good performer on a small amount of titles as possible / transfer them from the closed studios. Create absolute blockbusters, Release them day 1 on console. 3 Months later on PC. If you want day 1 PC, thats ok but mindshare that Xbox is a big thing now would be easier to achieve with delayed PC ports.
Kick all the people that just dont work at the highest level. Its sad but we need as a society to return back to value people that actually care about what they do and create meaningfull things for society.

Stop promising shit and take your time. You cant rush it anyway, you would just create shit again and delay good quality games once again. Ensure that after the initial change a slow flow of Blockbuster games while once again building up from scratch after finding a System that works for Xbox to ensure that new studios produce high quality games as well.

Last edited:

Vitter.

Get Yoshida to replace Booty :p. Seriously though someone has to supervide quality of output, greenlight or cancel project in early prototiping stages.

Last edited:

Eotheod

Great answer. And I can agree with you on almost all of it. Except that part:

Even if it is mostly true. The people that will say those things are not the same. So they can have the same fun that others got to have a few weeks/months/ years ago. For this alone a new thread may be worth it for those that will be there. But you are mostly right and I try to follow the same principles too. That is why even if I am on Neogaf since 2020 I have yet to make a single thread yet. And have relatively few posts compared to most. But I prefer that people make a thread that I find redundant than no thread at all, as in the long term it will make people leave the forum. Of course bias are a part of it. The PSVR 2 launch period had a certain number of threads that were mostly negative and I did find it unnerving. I consider the present period special as it is unpredecented how low the Xbox perception is. So people are talking about it even if it is just to repeat what had already been said. It will pass. In the meantime I wait for a thicc_girls_are_teh_best huge wall of text. Those always are fun to read for me.
I would argue that the perceived perception being "low" for Xbox is only something being vocally discussed in forums like GAF, which are enthusiast-based and tend to go into far greater detail. That doesn't mean it isn't being discussed, mind you, just that the GAF perception is only shared within GAF. Because it has been found time and time again the centric views are not always reflective of the overall industry, it is hard to say that the discussions here reflect the common man. I don't think they should, obviously, because then we just regurgitate without decisive thinking.

The best reflection of this perceived knowledge or reflection of the industry is in how GAF readers/commentators ignore said industry experts/actual developers. Where we have first-hand accounts of development being more difficult now than it has ever been; that budgets are exceeding the past generation's already; and, where increased money does not equate to suddenly creating games at the click of a finger. These logical industry knows are being ignored almost in favour of console warring mentalities to pounce on the next victim (outside rightful discussion on clear failures) because the armchair enthusiast mentality dictates a need to put a personal response in.

There is no right way about platform development, because it is far too unique and separatist to each other that you can't simply say "just copy Sony or Nintendo" without running into problems. I'm an Xbox Series X owner, and I do agree that without Game Pass the offerings would be very slim in the available library of titles. However, I completely disagree that Game Pass is a cause for concern and the bringer of all doom, as it is simply the logical step forward for digital libraries to enable greater console ownership depth of interaction. As Phil Spencer said himself, they lost the creation of digital libraries in the PS4/Xbone generation, however Game Pass is that solution to encapsulating users.

It is, as I said, preposterous to think that throwing money at studios will fix Microsoft's concerns as well, because even if that was actioned on the fruits of labour wouldn't be out for at least three years. So we'd still have people complaining in that time that the games are not there, despite clear work being done at this very moment. Sony was smart in securing third party titles to appear as if first party for padding, be it a coincidence played on the back of COVID or organised from the very get go.

One thing is for certain: COVID royally fucked shit up.

Xbox needs to ditch most of their studios. Get as many good performer on a small amount of titles as possible / transfer them from the closed studios. Create absolute blockbusters, Release them day 1 on console. 3 Months later on PC. If you want day 1 PC, thats ok but mindshare that Xbox is a big thing now would be easier to achieve with delayed PC ports.
Kick all the people that just dont work at the highest level. Its sad but we need as a society to return back to value people that actually care about what they do and create meaningfull things for society.

Stop promising shit and take your time. You cant rush it anyway, you would just create shit again and delay good quality games once again. Ensure that after the initial change a slow flow of Blockbuster games while once again building up from scratch after finding a System that works for Xbox to ensure that new studios produce high quality games as well.
That would have to be one of the worst actions possible to take in "salvaging" a company who is reliant on said studios to create content. By gutting your content teams, you inspire fear and potentially hatred in not knowing if you will be next, and also hamstrings any available "cannon fodder" that is capable of producing content padding. Blockbuster games take on average four years or more to develop from creation, so I'm not sure such a response would help coupled with the reduction of staff.

This is the issue, a portion of the responses want immediate action while also stating said action needs to be conducted without rushing. How is one supposed to accomplish these tasks without using literal magic? One could say that Sony is also lacking in the department of games, to a point. However that is ignoring the forest for the trees, much like many are doing in response to Microsoft and Xbox.

Last edited:

Crayon

They need studios that are on the sony level. You say naughty dog and people don't even care what they are coming out with next. Because they are day one. Not for me, maybe not for you, but look at the numbers. "Cinematic 3rd person sony games". Oh you mean meat and potatoes fight/shoot adventure games with sick graphics? Oh no they have waayyyyy too many of those.

People trying to hold up Ryse TO THIS DAY that is how bad they want those cinematic 3rd person single player trees sad dad all the same games. Those sony games. Like that sony game rdr2. The best thing they have going is Beth mainlines like starfield and someday es6. For my money I'll take those over any ten traditional adventure games. But those are few and far between. After that, the best they'll have going is playground, ID, and a gradually less impressive list following. Lets be real whether you like the games or not, the stable of sony developers are all way above average. So ms needs um....4? 6? studios like that?

When they show wolverine there is going to be an instant worldwide underwear shortage. Think about that. Sony is going to be like "over 1 billion pants shitted you can just give us the $70". "60% of players preordered before even cleaning their ass." Dude. That's what ms needs. Over and over.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Change their attitude. They do not have to dominate a market to be considered successful.
MS isn't spending unprecedented, exorbitant amounts of money to be competitive. Competition is good for consumers but bad for business, and the money could be better allocated elsewhere. The goal for megacorps is monopoly, where all the profits are, since it is often viable for them to attain it.

Zuck spent over 10 billion on the metaverse in order to preemptively conquer that market and set all the terms of participation for everyone else. A monopoly platform holder for the metaverse could take a cut of every NFT, virtual item sale, and charge virtual rent for virtual spaces. It would be a license to print money with no overhead. It failed miserably, but it would have been worth 100x the investment if he had succeeded.

CMA rugpulled MS's plans to corner the gaming market through acquisitions. Succeeding with what they have -- 20+ game studios and nearly infinite resources -- has proven far too difficult.

Ozzie666

Management shake-up for starters, need fresh blood and new ideas.

Game pass is flawed and not at the subscription level needed to succeed. The same date and day release for exclusives and PC versions is not currently viable. It may be one day, but not right now. There is little incentive for anyone to drop $60 or $70 on a boxed game when they have a game pass machine. When you don't publish games on the leading system like PS5 this gen, you are cutting off your legs and any extra profits. How can they reasonable finance and recoup ever increasing development costs? You need third party companies to exceed on your digital store front, that microtransaction tax money.

I guess the question is, is Microsoft making profits even in third place? or are they not getting the digital services revenue from third parties? Game Pass seems great for Microsoft, but not many others in that echo system.

Perhaps Exclusives could have a 3–6-month delay on arriving to game pass, get some of those box sales and full price sales.

reinking

Gold Member
MS isn't spending unprecedented, exorbitant amounts of money to be competitive. Competition is good for consumers but bad for business, and the money could be better allocated elsewhere. The goal for megacorps is monopoly, where all the profits are, since it is often viable for them to attain it.

Zuck spent over 10 billion on the metaverse in order to preemptively conquer that market and set all the terms of participation for everyone else. A monopoly platform holder for the metaverse could take a cut of every NFT, virtual item sale, and charge virtual rent for virtual spaces. It would be a license to print money with no overhead. It failed miserably, but it would have been worth 100x the investment if he had succeeded.

CMA rugpulled MS's plans to corner the gaming market through acquisitions. Succeeding with what they have -- 20+ game studios and nearly infinite resources -- has proven far too difficult.
I agree and that is why I fear they are not going to "succeed" in the console space. Not that I believe Xbox/MS Games will be a failure. I just think they are pushing too soon to all digital/streaming and killing their console market in the process. The Series X is probably the last Xbox console I am going to own. Who knows? It might be the last traditional Xbox console any of us own. PC Game Pass here I come when my current GPU expires.

Top Bottom