• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What existing IP you think would work as a GaaS?

Service games are inevitable like Thanos...they are going to become more and more prominent...but lets be more optimistic. What service existing IP you think would work as a serivce?

For me State of Decay has a good gameplay loop that could be improved as a service. A more community oriented zombie management game.

Also Pokemon as everyone has been saying for 20 years...no need to expand on this.

We know most people hate GaaS...so want to keep this more optimistic and approaching it from a positive pov.

Quezacolt

Sorry, but there's nothing positive about a franchise becming a GaaS
Instead of getting a good, finished game, you get something unfinished, many times with lots of issues, that will continue until people tire of it, full of microtransactions to try to get more of your money. and that's if it's a successful one, if it isnt, they get your money, close down the servers and you keep nothing.

Dr Bass

Work? Any.

Be better off? None.
This is the correct answer. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

If Sony is moving into GaaS they should just make something new instead of ruining something that exists. Yeah there is potential for a lot of money in this area, but I am not a fan. No need to bring down an existing franchise.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's a valid question but I don't think IP is important to GAAS like it is to single player.

You don't decide to play a GAAS title 6 months in because you're a fan of the IP. You play GAAS 6 months in because you're a fan of the games mechanics.

Look at all the biggest GAAS titles over the last 10 years as reference and compare that list to the best selling single player games in the same time period.

Sorry, but there's nothing positive about a franchise becming a GaaS
Instead of getting a good, finished game, you get something unfinished, many times with lots of issues, that will continue until people tire of it, full of microtransactions to try to get more of your money. and that's if it's a successful one, if it isnt, they get your money, close down the servers and you keep nothing.
GaaS done right means you get ten plus years of frequently released new content. I like it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Fuck off with this crap. GaaS is not inevitable and those that think it is can kiss my ass.

matrix-sound-of-inevitability.gif

Guilty_AI

I think people have some misconceptions about what a GaaS is. It doesn't mean the game has to be always online, theres plenty of GaaS that work offline.

The way i see it, for something to be GaaS it needs three things:
-Constant stream of revenue (MTX, frequent DLCs, Subscriptions, etc)
-Infinite gameplay loop, aka something that can be played for an indefinite amount of time.
-Constant stream of new content or at least enough content to last for a long time until a DLC or new iteration comes out.

Euro/American Truck Simulator for example can be considered GaaS despite not enforcing online mode. Monster Hunter games too.

-Infinite gameplay loop, aka something that can be played for an indefinite amount of time.
-Constant stream of new content or at least enough content to last for a long time until a DLC or new iteration comes out.
And this is the problem. I actually am fine with the subscription model (Final Fantasy XIV, WoW) because you know what you're paying for.

It's when games are designed around making the player to feel the need to spend more real money, no matter how well they attempt to hide it, that it's a hindrance.

GaaS are fundamentally flawed from the start because of this.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
And this is the problem. I actually am fine with the subscription model (Final Fantasy XIV, WoW) because you know what you're paying for.

It's when games are designed around making the player to feel the need to spend more real money, no matter how well they attempt to hide it, that it's a hindrance.

No one can make you feel things you don't want to feel. You're in charge of your values and feelings.

Buy the MTX that you value. Ignore the MTX you don't value. It's how you walk around a grocery store without buying every product with alluring packaging.

For those saying none, imagine all the games that you loved and that could still get support today, that ultimately you just stop playing as a result. Especially games that just end up getting iteration after iteration.

Personally, I love the OG Pokemon games and they could definitely have been GaaS.

If Insomniac could release episodic content for a Marvel universe while maintaining the quality of at least Miles Morales, I'd be in.

I think GaaS gets a bad rep because the quality is generally so garbage and generic. It doesn't have to be.

Look at GT7. If Gran Turismo adds a season expansion for NASCAR or WRC (probably not WRC now that Codemasters has the license again), I think that would be a value add for those who specifically like those cars/tracks.

Mario Kart, Sims, are also examples of games that could easily be live service games.

Guilty_AI

There are plenty of flawed models that you for sure know about, but it isn't really flawed fundamentally as there are examples of sucessful models that don't feel exploitative or money sinkers.

This can’t be the same gaf that gave a GAAS game of the year. Acting like it’s inherently bad is just being facetious. Obviously there are and can be good GAAS. Just would like know which ones people would like to see.

No one can make you feel things you don't want to feel. You're in charge of your values and feelings.

Buy the MTX that you value. Ignore the MTX you don't value. It's how you walk around a grocery store without buying every product with alluring packaging.
I'd prefer for the game not to be built around microtransactions in the first place.

Look at GT7. Before, we'd have access to all the content in the game within reasonable time frames. But the entire game is designed around microtransactions and being a GaaS and totally killed an otherwise fantastic game.

FeldMonster

Fighting games seem like an obvious choice.

Anything that would benefit from keeping more players engaged would benefit from an ongoing business model.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'd prefer for the game not to be built around microtransactions in the first place.

Look at GT7. Before, we'd have access to all the content in the game within reasonable time frames. But the entire game is designed around microtransactions and being a GaaS and totally killed an otherwise fantastic game.

They're not. Games are built around fun first.

I have no idea about GT7. I haven't looked into it enough to see if the criticisms are valid, though I suspect they're not.

Games that don't provide enough fun for players get left behind. There's tons of GAAS failures, and traditional single player game failures, because they aren't fun enough to play for a large enough player base.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Assassins Creed.

- Still be Open world
- Be episodic in that new smaller regions are released every 4-6 months
- Could be a subscription or each episode is $25USD

This might help with a better story and less fatigue from filler content.

Assassins Creed.

- Still be Open world
- Be episodic in that new smaller regions are released every 4-6 months
- Could be a subscription or each episode is $25USD

This might help with a better story and less fatigue from filler content.
Got news for you. Assassin's Creed has already moved toward GaaS.

Aenima

Mostly any sport game. They release the same game every year just to update the teams, and make player start from scratch.

teezzy

Banned
I think people have some misconceptions about what a GaaS is. It doesn't mean the game has to be always online, theres plenty of GaaS that work offline.

Euro/American Truck Simulator for example can be considered GaaS despite not enforcing online mode. Monster Hunter games too.

Y'know Guilty,

You drop more consistent truth bombs than anyone else on this site

touhou-fumo.gif

Guilty_AI

GT7 is an example of a flawed model. There are different ways they could've made the game profitable (and fun) without exploiting their playerbase:
-Make the game as is but also add a separate single player offline mode that came with all the game's content vailable from the get go, along with the ability to create custom races and events.
-Make the game as is but having it be f2p instead of charging $70.
-Mix of both. Have a f2p version that works as is, then charging 70$ for the offline single player mode i described before.

Nautilus

Banned
In theory, GAAS is not a bad idea. I mean, FF XIV is a MMO, which is an earlier version of GAAS. But I don't see anyone complaining about it.

The problem with GAAS nowadays is that it serms that publishers want to stick that EVERYWHERE, and very few games use it well. And even then, alot of them don't have anything worthwhile to add, and in the end it feels like its a game padded to hell and back just to squeeze the money out of you. Instead of it being a great 30 to 50 hour long game. Like Avengers should have been.

So no, I dont want any existing IP to become a GAAS. Im fine with them making new IPs for that, but keep your sticky fingers out of my beloved games!

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
In theory, GAAS is not a bad idea. I mean, FF XIV is a MMO, which is an earlier version of GAAS. But I don't see anyone complaining about it.

The problem with GAAS nowadays is that it serms that publishers want to stick that EVERYWHERE, and very few games use it well. And even then, alot of them don't have anything worthwhile to add, and in the end it feels like its a game padded to hell and back just to squeeze the money out of you. Instead of it being a great 30 to 50 hour long game. Like Avengers should have been.

So no, I dont want any existing IP to become a GAAS. Im fine with them making new IPs for that, but keep your sticky fingers out of my beloved games!

No. FFXIV is an MMORPG. GAAS games are blatantly unfinished titles that slowly release content over the course of years and are filled to the bring with MTX and the lowest of effort skinner box practices.

They are not one in the same and never have been.

Nautilus

Banned
No. FFXIV is an MMORPG. GAAS games are blatantly unfinished titles that slowly release content over the course of years and are filled to the bring with MTX and the lowest of effort skinner box practices.

They are not one in the same and never have been.
They are. GAAS is just a prettier name for MMO. You could that their only difference is that GAAS games can be "offline" single player experiences, but in practice they are not really different. They both depend on constant content drops, both are "continuous experiences", most depend on the social aspect(to varying degrees) and both are rampant with Microtransactions.

The only thing that makes people believe they that they are not very different, is that there hasn't one BIG successful GAAS, at least both commervially and critically. Destiny 1 and 2 got close enough, but it was not enough.

GAAS are amazing if done correctly, Just look Mario kart 8 or super smash bros, both from 2014 and give us content until 2021/23, and in not going to talk about mmo like ffxiv or wow, both amazing games

Games Who can work as GAAS

Mario Party
Nintendo Sports games
Street Fighter/Tekken, any fighting game really

Just because some publishers fuck up their games, it doesnt mean, GAAS dont have potential

Top Bottom