• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What GaaS games do you like or recommend?

.Pennywise

Banned
What GaaS (Games as a Service) do you like or find to be good?

I'll start with 2 totally different games.

Dota 2
The game is completely free to play and everything, every Hero is available to you from the get go. It's only up to you how good and how far you can take it. Everything else is just cosmectics items if you want to look sexy and fancy. Game keeps being regularly updated with new heroes and new events every other season. Plus, with the Steam ecosystem you can buy and/or (re)sell some cosmetic items.

Apex Legends
The gunplay is so good. The fast pace of the game is awesome. Also free to play and no pay to win stuff. Only thing behind a paywall that could make a difference is the different Legends, but all of them are available to get with in-game 'money' that isn't too difficult to get if you play regularly. We get new Legends and new or updated maps to play with every season as well as new gamemodes.

The one I play I honestly can't recommend to a new player. Unless you have hundreds of hours to learn it. Then it's totally worth it.

(Path of Exile)

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
What GaaS (Games as a Service) do you like or find to be good?

I'll start with 2 totally different games.

Dota 2
The game is completely free to play and everything, every Hero is available to you from the get go. It's only up to you how good and how far you can take it. Everything else is just cosmectics items if you want to look sexy and fancy. Game keeps being regularly updated with new heroes and new events every other season. Plus, with the Steam ecosystem you can buy and/or (re)sell some cosmetic items.

Apex Legends
The gunplay is so good. The fast pace of the game is awesome. Also free to play and no pay to win stuff. Only thing behind a paywall that could make a difference is the different Legends, but all of them are available to get with in-game 'money' that isn't too difficult to get if you play regularly. We get new Legends and new or updated maps to play with every season as well as new gamemodes.

Games as service!!!!!???? 😨😨😨😨😨🥺

Last edited:
All of the big PvP games are tight experiences with lots to recommend them. Also stuff like Diablo 2 Resurrected, not sure if that counts but they are patching it for the first time in years and I think they plan on adding content.

Roxkis_ii

Destiny 2 would probably be my pick. I think it pretty accessible for new players and the in game store is cosmetics only. End game content mostly requires a group.

The game seems well supported and the devs communicate with the community. Just don't have a favorite location..

Concern

Even though I don't play it anymore. I have to agree with Apex Legends.

Didn't know PoE was gaas. Only played it in initial beta and eventually stopped.

wvnative

R6 Siege, best multiplayer shooter of all time.

I wanna say Red Dead Online as well, but Rockstar has seemingly abandoned it and I can't suggest it in it's current state, I love it though.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Currently the most played one for me is probably Genshin Impact.

I recommend-ish. It's a funny game when you have things to do. When you don't is boring as hell. And on the negative side - it's gacha. which sucks ass.

The most solid one that I played recently, even thought it doesn't get new content in like one year and a half, is Division 2. The core gameplay is damn good and good enough for me to jump in from time to time.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Currently the most played one for me is probably Genshin Impact.

I recommend-ish. It's a funny game when you have things to do. When you don't is boring as hell. And on the negative side - it's gacha. which sucks ass.

The most solid one that I played recently, even thought it doesn't get new content in like one year and a half, is Division 2. The core gameplay is damn good and good enough for me to jump in from time to time.

What is "gacha"? I hear that term a lot but don't know what it means. I assume it has something vaguely to do with gambling?

Nankatsu

Gold Member
What is "gacha"? I hear that term a lot but don't know what it means. I assume it has something vaguely to do with gambling?

Basically you collect virtual in-game currency by doing in-game activities and try your luck on banners to get a specific character you want.

Note that banners and characters are time-specific, so you can only try your on luck on them when they are available.

Most gacha games tend to make virtual in-game currency scarce, so you buy in-game currency with real money and spend.

Basically it works like a slot machine.

The word gacha itself is way more trendy for mobile games.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Magic: The Gathering Arena. Not only it's the game that made me believe in GaaS but made me realize how good business it is. I spent way more than I would have paid for a Magic game on the regular model.

I also play Apex but have never spent a dime.

Arthimura

Destiny 2 would probably be my pick. I think it pretty accessible for new players and the in game store is cosmetics only. End game content mostly requires a group.

The game seems well supported and the devs communicate with the community. Just don't have a favorite location..
The problem I had with Destiny 2 was the amount of grind to get the special weapons.

I had trouble to find groups for endgame content because people always asked for OP weapons that would take months of grind to get.

CeeJay

Sea of Thieves is a lot of fun and unlike anything else out there. There are absolutely zero unlocks that effect gameplay so you know that everyone else out on the sea started with exactly the same loadout (baring the 3 different ship types) as you regardless of long they have been grinding.

I started to make a list but now have to ask what is a GaaS versus what's not.

Paying an entry retail price with additional expansions (Destiny 2)? Ongoing subscription (WoW, FFXIV)? F2P with MTX (Fortnite, Apex Legends)?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Destiny 2 if you're not looking to dump tons of hours a day into it, since they go out of their way to gate advancement behind weekly resets. But it's fun and engaging and has some of the best looking worlds and settings around

Final Fantasy XIV is the first MMO I have played in a long time that values the players' time, gives the players what they want, and offers a shitoad of quality content in free updates. It's cross platform, looks good, plays well, I really have no complaints

Roxkis_ii

The problem I had with Destiny 2 was the amount of grind to get the special weapons.

I had trouble to find groups for endgame content because people always asked for OP weapons that would take months of grind to get.

Destiny can be a grinding game, especially if your playing alone. I say for the best Destiny 2 experience, you should join a clan that can walk you thru bits of the game.

The lfg for Destiny can be a....... unique experience.

SSfox

Genshin Impact.

I would have recommended Red Dead Online back when Rockstar were adding content, but they don't add anything to the game since a while, tho it's still very fun game to play at the early levels.

iHaunter

Warframe is the only game that's done it right. I've been playing Destiny 2 with some friends. That game is such cancer to look at. Every god damn menu, every time you accidentally click on something, it's an ad to buy.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
none-of-them-neil-degrasse-tyson.gif

Fbh

Only one I've liked so far is Rocket League.
I really like the gameplay which is easy to pick up but really hard to master, and I just find the game addicting even when loosing. I've also always been a fan of "symmetrical" multiplayer games where everyone starts on an even ground with no loadouts or special abilities, or gear (the cars do have different hitboxes and turning angles but it's far from something like, say, Destiny where your class, loudout and gear make a big difference).

And the microtransactions and whole live service aspect don't bother me as it's all cosmetic and easy to ignore.

YMMV

i currently play Fortnite, Apex, Destiny and Avengers

Fortnite is good only when i care about the battlepass. If it has a comic book skin or star wars skin or something is when i will play it. Reasonably fun to play especially now that they just added sliding and an ADS assault rifle. Its a battle royal where u find urself doing little mini quests more than u care about fighting anyone

Apex is one of the best shooters. The legends are easy to unlock. And their kit is fun to learn. But I think damn near every battlepass and skin in this game has always sucked. Nearly the only items i get in the "loot box" things that i remotely have any interest in are the voice lines or background frame thingies. which is sad

Destiny. a game i've played since beta 2014. I loved this game. I put more time into this game than maybe anything between D1 & D2. In its current state idk if i'd recommend it anymore. I am not a fan of the seasonal model. And its painfully obvious to me that im sick of the loot. Its a loot game where i get annoyed with how much loot i get. At this point theres just too much loot. Ur just on the hamster wheel of getting a good gun. And then 2 years later that gun is no longer viable to keep. And its just replaced with another new gun. In some endless time loop.
Im a PVP player. And they dont really add any cool modes or maps. If anything they take away modes and maps. It gets worse every year.
Gameplay wise PVE is super fun and probably the best its been. The BattlePass has lots of junk on it. U will get 2 good guns and 1 good armor skin.

Avengers is barely a game as a service. If u started it today u would have plenty of stuff to do since each superhero has an individual battle pass. And as far as battlepasses go this might be one of the better ones. Since you will get plenty of good skins, emotes, grapple throws. You will earn enuff currency in the free battlepasses to buy the DLC ones. And by the end u will have $90 ingame currency to use in the shop. And there are plenty of good skins in the shop to buy. There should be better ones. As for whatever reason they dont do a great job on comic accurate skins. But its a throwing spaghetti on the wall situation. There is just so many, that u are bound to find a bunch u like. Gameplay loop can be a hassle. Combat is great. But the game is still buggy. Theres not enough content and multiplayer is spotty. But sometimes everything kinda works and u will have a good time

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
GAAS is too meaningless a definition to base recommendations off of. It's a promise by the developer to keep supporting the game they've delivered. That's it.

If you're into single player games (I'm not) try Genshin Impact.

If you're into strategy + teamplay try DotA2.

If you're into shooting + teamplay try Counter Strike or Valorant.

If you're into soccer try Rocket League.

If you're into shooting + strategy try Fortnite.

They're all great games but they all offer very different experiences.

SCB3

Warframe is the only game that's done it right. I've been playing Destiny 2 with some friends. That game is such cancer to look at. Every god damn menu, every time you accidentally click on something, it's an ad to buy.
What? Did you get those 2 confused, the only thing to buy in Destiny is the cosmetic stuff, you earn everything else

CZY

Genshin Impact.

I would have recommended Red Dead Online back when Rockstar were adding content, but they don't add anything to the game since a while, tho it's still very fun game to play at the early levels.
Yeah I’ve been considering redownloading RDO and just starting over. Most of the negative pub is actually rooted in dudes who have been there the whole time and are starved for new content, when actually there’s a fuckton of content, most people have just done it already so they’re bored again. Firing it up from the start though, you’re guaranteed a 20+ hour grind of content just to get everything unlocked. It’s at minimum a 40-hour experience, 100-hour potential — its guys with 385 hours already who will tel you it lacks content.

Love RDO.

Top Bottom