• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

AndrewRyan

Guess it's game completion week:

Control: Ultimate Edition (pc): Super enjoyable overall. Outstanding RT effects, beautiful lighting, fun as hell combat. Enjoyed the lore of the astro-plane manifestation but not reading about it so much. Hated the map/navigation system. The maze level is one of my top 10 of all games!

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus (pc): What a ride! Butter smooth gameplay and a beautiful world to kill nazi's! Loved all the weapons, the dual weapons, and enemy variety. Great voice acting and liked how they handled the dialog by just pointing at characters. Definitely my favorite in the Wolfenstein series.

Tschumi

Demon's Souls remake.

I've slowly been getting better at these games. This is something i think most people need to understand: these games aren't hard, they're just stern and coldly fair, they punish you for being slow to speak their language.

I'm learning the language now.

Aside from some abortive attempts to play Dark Souls 1 and 2 when i wasn't ready, my first attempts at this sub genre were actually in the form of Jedi Fallen Order. That's an awesome game, I appreciate now that the way they mixed platforming and zelda'esque environmental puzzles in with that unforgiving combat was pretty unique and really supercharged the experience.

I didn't finish JFO though, i hit a glass ceiling on PC because of the location of the dodge key, made the move to ps4 but didn't feel like picking through all the puzzles again.

Next up was Sekiro, which is my favourite to date because of its much more expressive combat. I had a lot of fun with it but didn't get far. I was heavily into other games at the time so never put in the time to progress it.

Then Kena really broke things open for me. You might scoff, but I play it at max difficulty and the bosses really exacted quite a toll until you learned what did and didn't work. I was playing it with my girl watching/cheering me, and that gave me added motivation to get it right.

Parry windows in max difficulty Kena are vanishingly small, timing dodges and using observation rather than instant reactions are tough, bosses have lots of attack animations.. yeah.

So, yeah, after getting very far into Kena (I've had to restart because PS4 saves don't work with ps5) I've now tried my hand at Demon's Souls and it's fucking awesome. Hugely intuitive, and with my pre-loaded understanding of combat in these games helping me out, I'm definitely going toe to toe with all of my foes, even if they are occasionally getting the better of me. I'm in the fight.

I love the level design most of all, and I'm really appreciating the notes.

Not too interested in being/receiving a Dark Phantom when i get up there in levels.

I played a bit of Bloodborne, didn't get far, I think it was because I got it free (i tend to not value free games for some reason) and i felt like it was just a distraction until Elden Ring comes out. I'll definitely play it one day, probably after Elden Ring.

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
What's that? :)
The old Monk is a boss in the final level of tower of latria. I can't remember exactly how it works, but I think when you kill him and get his gear, he drops an item that lets human players be summoned as the old Monk for the fight in other players worlds.

What I want you to do is, is kill the boss and then become the Old Monk against other players. Don't be a nice Old Monk though, that lets people kill him easily so they can progress no problem. be completely ruthless and an impediment to other players progress. This is the way of the Old Monk

Last edited:

Tschumi

The old Monk is a boss in the final level of tower of latria. I can't remember exactly how it works, but I think when you kill him and get his gear, he drops an item that lets human players be summoned as the old Monk for the fight in other players worlds.

What I want you to do is, is kill the boss and then become the Old Monk against other players. Don't be a nice Old Monk though, that lets people kill him easily so they can progress no problem. be completely ruthless and an impediment to other players progress. This is the way of the Old Monk
I'll keep that in mind if and when i make it that far. I just killed phalanx and will probably do that whole zone a few times repeatedly just because it's so great.

Orta

Banned
Doom 2016 on the Switch.

Fuck me, when I told myself migrating, even temporarily from a m&kb couldn't be all that awkward I didn't expect it to be as bad as it is. Beats the shit out of me how console gamers enjoy shooters.

Coupled with the small screen and shit graphics its nigh on unplayable.

Think I'll reinstall the PC version.

amigastar

Playing Metroid Dread again, finally found out where to go next. I'm 6 hours in. Game is fantastic.
Orta Orta yes, i feel ya. I can understand why some want to play Halo with controller but DOOM? It has to be played with M&K.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm looping in Loop Hero. The night I installed the game it kept me playing until 4 a.m, basically until I beat the first chapter and kinda forced myself to stop. Pretty good game so far.

95mellow

Plan on playing some Inscryption tomorrow.

I'm also in the market for an RTS game I can sink my teeth into. How is Hearts of Iron 4 for someone who isn't well-versed in the genre?

i started FFVII Remake on PC and my thoughts are WTF.

1. it's running just fine on my PC at 1440p 120fps. no stuttering and it's a good looking game. i do wish there was more settings to adjust but it's perfectly playable with keyboard/mouse.
2. i'm actually enjoying it. i had only played XIII and XIV which i did not enjoy at all. this is the first Final Fantasy game I'm having fun playing.

Sophist

I have finished Black Mesa and my satisfaction is mild, i don't see much value added to the original game. Numerous collision bugs like getting stuck with no choice than reload the game, The IA is atrocious, most of the fights felt the same and the puzzles/exploration always follow the same patterns. I will definitively not recommend it at its full price.

T-Cake

I have finished Black Mesa and my satisfaction is mild, i don't see much value added to the original game. Numerous collision bugs like getting stuck with no choice than reload the game, The IA is atrocious, most of the fights felt the same and the puzzles/exploration always follow the same patterns. I will definitively not recommend it at its full price.

Dayum, I think I bought that in the Steam sale last Xmas and have never installed it. I think it's time to fix that.

95mellow

Replaying this absolute classic:

Shadow_of_Chernobyl_cover.jpg

amigastar

I've just finished Metroid Dread. Not particularly impressed.

First game of 2022: Immortal Fenix Rising.
Really? I think its fantastic. Do you like Metroidvania? And if so, what was better in your opinion than Metroid Dread?

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Really? I think its fantastic. Do you like Metroidvania? And if so, what was better in your opinion than Metroid Dread?
Probably because the latest metroidvania games I played were those who are much focused on puzzles than action. I enjoyed more games like Monster Boy (the best imho), Hollow Knight and Ori.

I also found some flaws I didn't like, the game seems (to me) to punish the mere exploration, where in other games every hidden areas is handled like a part of a sub-mission. This is the reason why, at some point, I enjoyed a game like Indivisible (an hidden gem despite the flaws) more than Metroid.

In any case, not a bad game. Except for the hidden blocks in the main path, that was a stupid idea.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Infinite MP on my brand new series S. Getting older but somehow went positive in 2 matches <3 Fucking awesome

Started FH5. Fucking unskippable slog intro. Very pretty tho. Prolly delete it soon. Cant take this NPC narrative festival shit. Shame.

Last edited:
Ffx on ps5 and fuck that chocobo race to get sun sigil..... and on pc batman arkhan knight. Never played this before and I'm impressed with the graphics so far.

BouncyFrag

Infinite MP on my brand new series S. Getting older but somehow went positive in 2 matches <3 Fucking awesome

Started FH5. Fucking unskippable slog intro. Very pretty tho. Prolly delete it soon. Cant take this NPC narrative festival shit. Shame.
You can disable the annoying DJ voice in the settings. It should help your current experience with the game.

RPS37

Completely sucked in to Rift Apart.
Trying my damnedest to finish Zero Dawn before the sequel.
For some dumb reason, I started a Plague Tale.

Came back To Tales of Symphonia after completing a first playthrough a month ago, and finally started a NG+.

I'm aiming for the Gung-ho title this time, meaning I need to clear a boss two-thirds into the game while being below a certain level; bought the half xp "bonus" from the grade shop so it should be easy enough to not over-level, but due to a slight miscalculation I ended up with way more Grade than I needed (forgot you get 1000 extra when completing a game) and chose to transfer learned Artes into this NG+... I thought starting the game with high-level spells would make things easier, but whew, forget Megumin, your casters don't even start with enough SP to cast their strongest nukes once! :messenger_dizzy: (being able to use them for more powerful Unison Attacks, like Gospel, is still very useful early on though)
Alright, I'm done with this playthrough; next one (and all the ones after, probably) I'll go with the EXP x10 from the grade shop, so no farming needed, and things should go very quickly. I'll be able to easily get Lloy'ds last title this way (Eternal Apprentice; though it's not that hard to begin with). I'm not sure who to go with as my "soulmate" this time though, as those titles will be the last ones for every character (Zelos also needs his level 100 title, as I went with Kratos for my first playthrough, and half xp for the second one so grinding up to 100 was pretty much out of the question).

But damn, on the one hand, the more I play this game, the more I love it; but on the other hand, I can't wait to 100% it and play the next ones :messenger_confounded:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I finally got around to playing Halo Infinite. Really digging the open world aspect of it. I'm generally against game series that suddenly shove in open world into the latest instalment just because the devs ran out of ideas, but in this case I think it really breathes a new life into the gameplay and it's actually fitting here. So basically I want the next Halo game to be a full blown open world shooter. Maybe even an RPG, like The Outer Worlds, where you can fly around the galaxy and explore huge maps.

Jennings

I haven't played a FROMsoft game since Dark Souls 3 came out, and I've been getting anxious to play Elden Ring so I just bought and installed Sekrio: Shadows Die Twice on the last day of the Xbox Holiday sale. I didn't buy Sekrio at release because it didn't seem to have the same dreary and fantastical Dark Souls world that I love so much, but all the Dark Souls knock-offs I've tried are terrible, so now I'll do Sekrio and like it no matter what.

So far I've played just long enough to reach the Shuriken attachment.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Still doing loops in Loop Hero, but also going though Blood on Lightly Broiled difficulty. Tried Well Done but nah, that's too much for me.

Last edited:

Elios83

Finished Lost Judgment in early December and for me it's a masterpiece, one of the best games made by the Yakuza team.

Then I finished and platinumed the Demon Slayer game, it's a really good game if you like the anime like me. The battles are really fun and the special techniques are just jaw dropping.

Now I'm playing Disco Elysium, I think I'm about halfway into the game, it took me a few hours to fully get into it but now it's addictive, a great adventure game. The way everything is connected, the fact every single detail hides something and can be used to unlock things is really satisfying, also the writing is great although unfortunately it wasn't localized in my native language and it's text heavy (and it's not basic english) so that could be a barrier for many.

Yesterday I resumed Alisa on Steam, great throwback survival horror game that scratched all the right itches for old school survival horror! Today I got and started Days Gone...it's one of the greatest "average" games I've played so far. It feels like a "B-movie Naughty Dog game" if that makes sense...the art style and the way it's animated sort of reminds me of ND games, but it's missing a certain element to bring it up there with the best of ND. It's such an 8/10 game so far and in spite of that, I like it.

Y0ssarian

Banned
I'm still playing Horizon Zero Dawn. The recommended level for the story mission is 12 but I'm already level 28 from doing side content lol. Anyway, I'm starting Pokemon Shining Pearl today. I can't decide between Chimchar and the grass starter (Turtwig?).

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Beaten Blood, pretty cool FPS but for me the king of the build engine game's still Duke Nukem. (Although I still have to play Ion Fury).

Next I was going to play Inscryption, but ended up going with The Hex instead. Loved the game, it's very creative and the ending is great. Short and sweet experience that I can recommend, specially since it's on sale and the game's short. Just try to get into it without knowing anything at all about it, game's full of surprises.

Last edited:

Synless

Just finished Guardians of the Galaxy and now playing Scarlett Nexus. In order after that will be Halo Infinite, TWEWY: Neo, RE7, No More Heroes 3, and finally SMT3.

I highly enjoyed GotG. SE did a great job with it.

Last edited:

Honey Bunny

Finished Gone Home and really enjoyed it so I'll be checking out other Walking Sims now. Although I guess if I had paid full price for it I'd be pissed.

To anyone reading this, did you catch the full implications of the dark side story about Oscar Masan?

Top Bottom