• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Beaten Blood, pretty cool FPS but for me the king of the build engine game's still Duke Nukem. (Although I still have to play Ion Fury).

Next I was going to play Inscryption, but ended up going with The Hex instead. Loved the game, it's very creative and the ending is great. Short and sweet experience that I can recommend, specially since it's on sale and the game's short. Just try to get into it without knowing anything at all about it, game's full of surprises.
One Unit Whole Blood? Did you play Blood 2? I loved Blood, beat it back when it came out on GOG. The dynamite was fun to throw and watch things explode. Also that heavy metal track while you’re next to the playground in the city was cool. Did you ever play Shogo? A retro fps that’s also a lot to play - you get to be in a mech and on your feet. 80’s anime inspired too.

Jaybe

Guardians of the Galaxy. This is the best “Naughty Dog” game not made by Naughty Dog. Fun linear action, hilarious dialogue (love Drax’s literal-ness), and beautiful environments. I’m halfway through and absolutely loving it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
One Unit Whole Blood? Did you play Blood 2? I loved Blood, beat it back when it came out on GOG. The dynamite was fun to throw and watch things explode. Also that heavy metal track while you’re next to the playground in the city was cool. Did you ever play Shogo? A retro fps that’s also a lot to play - you get to be in a mech and on your feet. 80’s anime inspired too.
Yeah! Well actually, I still have to go through Cryptic Passage and Post Mortem. Had a lot of fun with the game, didn't like some level's design but overall it was pretty good, and the gunplay... Man it's awesome, every weapon feels poweful and useful. Played and beated on lightly broiled without auto aim, after which I started on well done and managed to get to the carnival stage. Are those games maybe designed to be played with auto aim on?

I know the other Monolith games yep, don't think I'll ever play Blood 2 tbh since that one looks bad. Shogo always looked interesting to me.

GymWolf

Completed rage 2, and downloaded just cause 4 that i had free from the epic store, i'm probably gonna hate the game after few hours...

Shmunter

Giving Concrete Genie a solid go. Finding it somewhat confusing trying to do the fishing market. Remarkable visuals and art style wants me to persevere.

I’m replaying Witcher 3 after being disappointed by the second season of the show. I’m also starting a new playthrough of Skyrim on Switch as a Drow. Should be fun!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah! Well actually, I still have to go through Cryptic Passage and Post Mortem. Had a lot of fun with the game, didn't like some level's design but overall it was pretty good, and the gunplay... Man it's awesome, every weapon feels poweful and useful. Played and beated on lightly broiled without auto aim, after which I started on well done and managed to get to the carnival stage. Are those games maybe designed to be played with auto aim on?

I know the other Monolith games yep, don't think I'll ever play Blood 2 tbh since that one looks bad. Shogo always looked interesting to me.
I think auto aim helps when your eyes can’t pin point what to shoot and because targeting wasn’t as advanced as it is today. You’ll have a good time with Shogo. That was one of the first few games I bought on GOG. Did you by chance play Kingpin or Requiem: Avenging Angel? I got the strategy guide for Blood 2 back in 1999 for pre-ordering the Dreamcast. It came in an Easter basket from Babbage’s. I didn’t have a chance to play it until GOG released it. I don’t remember that much about it to be honest.

I started Front Mission 3 again. I want to do the second campaign because I forgot about it. Finished it back in 07. Also played some Echo Night on PS1. The game has some interesting parts to it, but it’s aged to the point where it feels frustrating. The creepy ghosts and walking around the boat was neat. It definitely takes patience. Also played some What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord? 2, which was fun. It’s like Half Minute Hero in terms of how much fun it is. In short bursts it’s great.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I think auto aim helps when your eyes can’t pin point what to shoot and because targeting wasn’t as advanced as it is today. You’ll have a good time with Shogo. That was one of the first few games I bought on GOG. Did you by chance play Kingpin or Requiem: Avenging Angel? I got the strategy guide for Blood 2 back in 1999 for pre-ordering the Dreamcast. It came in an Easter basket from Babbage’s. I didn’t have a chance to play it until GOG released it. I don’t remember that much about it to be honest.
Yeah autoaim would help I guess, wonder if I can enable it only for the hitscan weapons tho.

Oh I know Kingping! Tried it as a kid (probably bad idea) but my toddler brain couldn't realize how the game should be played. They announced a enhanced edition (Kingpin Reloaded) in 2020 but I don't know what happened with that...

Never heard of Requiem tho, will need to check that one out. :)

GeekyDad

Jesus H., mother of Maggie! I'm doing Brightmoon Tor in FFT A2, and I'm on the last floor when I notice my 3DS charge light is in the red. Fug that s***! Didn't go through all that just to watch my 3DS go dead and lose all that progress.

Got that thing on the charger before power failure. Whew... :messenger_grinning_sweat:

BigBooper

I finished up Kingdom Come Deliverance this weekend. I loved that game. It's very elaborate, and maybe a little big for It's britches, but I can't think of another game that was so ambitious that pulled off so much. I put nearly 130 hours into it. The biggest problem is the combat. I specialized in the longsword and even after so much time I felt like an amateur. The way the enemy surrounds you...if you stumble upon a group of three decently armored guys, you're dead. Duals are very fun though. I'd love to see them take another stab at it.

The story is interesting and a bit rambling at times, like any good RPG. Most of the sidequests just fill out the world really well but aren't particularly important, with one of the DLC chains as an exception, making a big impact on the character's story. Some of the quests are too much busywork fetch quest stuff and once I realized it on a few of them, I just stole whatever item I needed instead of doing the quest. There's lots of freedom to do that. There's one quest involving a scamming charlatan that I hated in particular involving stealing various things and replacing them with others.

Overall, a really great game that I can see playing again in a few years.

Metro Exodus; I started this up this week and am almost done with the first zone. Unfortunately, I'm not really liking much about it. I really liked the first two games in the series so much that I played them at least twice, but the tight quarters gunplay does not translate well to open world. Every gun feels like crap. Very weak and extremely fragile.

Also, your character is apparently a mute. It wasn't a problem in the earlier games, because they were very linear story driven, but every time I take a turn around my base there’s two or three people ready to unleash a monolog they must have been practicing for hours. They all go on way too long, and are constantly trying to talk over each other, like in movies where the kids all pile around daddy the second he gets home from work to tell him piles of words. It's really over the top. Even moreso when you're off on a mission and people are almost nonstop asking if you can hear them over the radio and you can't take five seconds to just say "yes, now shut up." It's really grating on my nerves.

All those negatives aside, the main story still has me interested to see where this goes, so to hopefully grind some kind of enjoyment out of it, I've just turned it down to the easiest difficulty and will try to mainline it. We'll see if I stick with it. I don't know.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)

Nothing will ever surpass SMB3 for me, the pinnacle of 2D Mario gaming but on far more than one occasion I've been reminded of it whilst playing this. So much nostalgia, and the physics are perfect. Mario is just fast enough, just floaty enough, jumps just high enough, etc that the game is never ever to blame for your mishaps. I'm loving every second of this.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Death's Door. I'm at the Overgrown Ruins and so far I'm loving it. Really charming. Beautiful soundtrack and visuals. The combat is pretty simplistic and not very challenging though, but it is nice to just be able to kind of zone out with this game. I'll probably 100% it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Aside from Skyrim (clocking now around 80 hours, so good) I am replaying Gears of War 2.

Maybe it‘s just me but man… this game has aged terribly. What a slog… They should have never attempted to make the lore more epic. Whereas the first game had quite some variety this one‘s like 80% the same shootout only in changing environments with more enemies. And the flying section before the final act was a pain in the ass. Only memorable things from the game are the fish boss and the short section in that research facility.

I am kinda surprised. Had much better memories of this game and now it turns out part 1 aged better. Go figure…

R6Rider

Gold Member
I just hooked up a PS5 for the first time. I got a ps5! Time to check out Astro's Playroom and see what all the hallaballoo on the DualSense is about.
Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

I just finished Concrete Genie. Pretty decent game. Now, I'm playing The Touryst. Mostly because I just got a new TV and wanted to play something at 120hz.

teezzy

Banned
Guardians of the Galaxy on Series X

I can see why so many consider this GotY

Very fun. Very colorful
Fantastic writing. Another awesome jack of all trades effort like Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order

Just pure fun. Sorta reminds me of like pop culture heavy Mass Effect or something idk.

I am Groot 🤭

Happy Dance GIF

Vagswarm

About halfway through Rise of the Tomb Raider and have been enjoying it. There's nothing here that wasn't already in the original reboot (so far), but it feels a lot tighter. The tomb puzzles are pretty awesome – I didn't like them in the original. It also feels like there is enough to explore and collect without being overwhelmed. I've been reading and collecting just about everything there is, and finding a lot of secrets just by looking around. I've been used to going way off the main path for optional activities (ala open worlds), that it's been a nice change of pace to find stuff while doing the main quest, or searching for the location of the main quest. There's also optional quests and apparently I have all the DLC since it thanked me for purchasing it (lol).

Great game overall. Very similar to the original reboot, but it's been a year since I played that one so it doesn't feel redundant.

KellyM

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. To me it feels like the original Zelda if it was made in 3d. So much to do. I have had a Switch since January of 2021 and just now getting to this game.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Death's Door. I'm at the Overgrown Ruins and so far I'm loving it. Really charming. Beautiful soundtrack and visuals. The combat is pretty simplistic and not very challenging though, but it is nice to just be able to kind of zone out with this game. I'll probably 100% it.
I really want to play it. I ordered the physical version from the publisher and don't want to double dip, so waiting on that to ship.

I recently beat Psychonauts 2 which was fucking awesome. Then beat The Last Campfire, which was a pretty, fun little game.

Started Tormented Souls, got an hour in, died, and lost all progress. Had to start completely over. So I won't be going back to that one. Will not tolerate that kind of cheapness in this age of gaming. And once I read about the game more(I didn't read a ton going in, I like to go in fresh) apparently save rooms are sparse, so you have to play really long sessions. Nope. Unacceptable in today's gaming. Have to at least have an temp auto-save feature if someone needs to quit a game for whatever reason.

Shame, I was enjoying it too.

Last edited:
Halo Infinite. Finished the campaign 88% completion in 18 hours, then a new campaign finishing just the main missions in 6.5 hours to get the skulls from the missions. I the started two other saves the last couple of days to get to the open world again, one of which I'm continuing to clear the map, the other to save for another time.

One of the few single player games I'm replaying, liking it more than I thought I would.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Recently finished my first playthrough of XCom UFO Defense with the OpenXcom mod. Pretty great and the gameplay loop finally starts to get stale when you're at the end of the game with the final mission.

Played some Dead Cells while traveling. Not really sticking too well with me but I'm going to try some different builds and see how it goes. I'm at the level before the final boss.

Swapped over to Link's Awakening. Finished it. It kinda sucked. Liked some parts but hated others. Got very stuck 3 times. Fucking chess piece puzzles. Never understood the clues or rules or expectations. They can get fucked. Also really shitty dynamic resolution and bad frame rate. Not sure how much changed from the GBA original but it was definitely not that good.

Tried Luigi's Mansion 3: Gooigi Time and gave up after a few hours. Didn't care much for Luigi being a huge puss, didn't understand the whole vacuuming money thing, and I really disliked combat. I found it really weird and off-putting to violently beat the absolute shit out of these ghosts and then vacuum up cash. Weird.

Going to see if I can wrap up Dead Cells.

T0minator

Halo Infinite. Finished the campaign 88% completion in 18 hours, then a new campaign finishing just the main missions in 6.5 hours to get the skulls from the missions. I the started two other saves the last couple of days to get to the open world again, one of which I'm continuing to clear the map, the other to save for another time.

One of the few single player games I'm replaying, liking it more than I thought I would.

Would you agree that the game is repetitive or just as much variety as most would hope? Curious from someone who has done multiple playthroughs. I'm relatively early in the game still

T0minator

Starting off 2022 with a variety of randomness

Halo Infinite (multiplayer)

Hotwheels (multiplayer)

Returnal (platinum hunting)

That's You! (With my gf)

F.I.S.T (it's ok, it's gotten better over time)

Just beat returnal, moving on to metroid dread. Gotta say, Returnal loses points for that cliffhanger… But on the other hand I enjoy playing it so much i’ll go back and replay at least a couple more times.

Maybe once on the unpatched disc version.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Started Life is Strange: True Colors. Like it so far. I played the first two LiS games. Generally not a story-based game fan, but I like these.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter 2

I'm slowly starting to become a beginner at the game. I have 75 dwarves now and don't know why they keep coming, my fortress is a mess. Could be the new cook, he's pumping out one masterpiece after the other. He makes amazing raw mussle cookies.

Also:
AoE1 DE
Sailwind
The Caribbean Sail
WRC8

Last edited:

small_law

Forza Horizon 5. Top to bottom refinement of the best parts of Forza Horizon 4. If you want to criticize it for being more of the same, that’s absolutely fair. But making “more of the old shit, just better” is some thing a lot of developers don’t seem to be able to do these days. Nice on PC too.

engstra

Played a few hours of Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy last night. I really love mascot 3D platformers so I think this will be up my street. Just got to harbor town level, really seems like it's opening up which I wasn't expecting.

Y0ssarian

Banned
Finished Horizon Zero Dawn. Thought it was a great open world game. Aloy is very cool. I haven't done the DLC though.

I dropped Pokemon Shining Pearl after an hour. I can't do Pokemon anymore. I'm going to start The Last of Us Remastered.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Tried Shadow of the Tomb raider as the collection was on discount, got through the first section and to the bit where the side character started bitching at lara and was like "yeah I'm done with this" and uninstalled. It's a shame but since I had already played the previous 2 games I wasent that interested in what seemed to be a far more linear game full of people bitching. Also the plot blew up far too quickly, like you need to pace the whole end of the world thing, didn't let me catch my breath, it was like they gave up wanting to make a unique title and instead wanted to copy one of the bad uncharted's.

Went onto Powerwash simulator which is an early access title, throughly enjoyed it and ended up gifting to a friend who is playing through career with me, it feels like a zen experience and it's super satisfying when you finish up, but its just a bit of fun.

Outside of that a Mix of Deep Rock Galagtic and Monster Hunter World, looking forward to Rise's release in 5 days time on PC, got a full hunting party ready to go.

Last edited:

shubik

I´m almost done with Psychonauts 2. Fantastic game. And yesterday I finally pulled the trigger on Outer Wilds. Probably gonna start it on the weekend.

shubik

Can’t touch it personally then, despite all the praise. Why leave money on the table for a simple frame unlock.

Yeah, I was disappointed as well. I haven´t looked it up before I bought it. But the amount of praise that game got + the good current price made me buy it.

I really have to say that I´m surprised at how important 60fps became for me after I made the switch to the PS5. Playing something with 30fps legit feels weird on the eyes. It gets better when you keep playing but the difference to 60 is just soooo big. A good example of "you have to see it with your own eyes to fully believe it".

Top Bottom