• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

sedg87

Banned
Started LoK: Blood Omen last night. Been a long, long time since I last played it. Simon Templeman is such a great voice actor; I love his narration as you wander Nosgoth. Tony Jay is also superb.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
the script and VAs are so fucking bad tho lol. nothing redeeming there at all. i know its RE and its supposed to be cheesy, but imo it hasnt aged well at all.

Yeah i liked that man, over the top, cheesy and whatever it was.

Helped with the terror

Btw did you play on ps4

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Its like a much harder (but fair) XCOM at least this early on. I was never really a fan of the Grey Knights as I always felt having something more Space Marines than the Space Marines is a bit redundant. But damn if this game dousent make me like these guys. Their Grandmaster not putting up with the inquisitors bullshit is great too, you can really feel the tension there, wish there was more of that.

Last edited:
Switch

Animal Crossing

Been back to playing this. Finally bought the Expansion Pack. I'm loving the new stuff I can do. I'm happy that Gyroids are back.

Triangle Strategy

I'm really enjoying the game. But I feel there's so much story and not enough gameplay. The characters are interesting at least

Vita

I was suppose to go back to Suikoden 2 but the save data got corrupted

So been playing

Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together

Only an hour in and the gameplay is interesting. Story is intriguing. The 2D environments and spritework is amazing

Sly Cooper

Really fun sleath game. Love the character design. The voice acting during the cutscenes gives me Saturday Morning Cartoon vibes.

3DS

Yo-Kai Watch 3

Still playing this. Love this franchise. I hope 4 comes out here eventually

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Beat Record of Lodoss War Deelit in Wonder Labyrinth.

I've recommended some smaller titles on here before, this is another I recommend. It isn't very long, you can beat it in probably 6-7 hours, so this might be a wait until it's on sale, but definitely worth checking out if you like Metroidvanias. It doesn't do a ton differently from your favorite Metroidvania titles except this spirit mechanic the game uses that allows you to switch between different modes that allows you to adjust to battles and the environment differently depending on what spirit you're switched to. You can buy and find weapons, use magic and items.

The only gripe I have with it, is right before the end, at least for me, there was a massive difficulty spike. For a Metroidvania, I didn't have any trouble at all for like 80% of the time. Then toward the end, the bosses got like 5 times harder, and one of the bosses near the end was pretty difficult. And resources are pretty scarce, so it would take quite a while to grind to afford a bunch of healing items.

Worth putting on your wish lists and when it goes on sale, picking it up if you like the genre.

tav7623

Since my last post over a month ago I've finished Lost Judgement and started & finished playing Bloody Roar 2 & Sonic 4 Episode 1 as well as started playing MLB the Show 22 every couple of days. I also made a few visits to the new Limited Run Games (LRG) retail store (which recently had it's Grand Opening) where I picked up Freedom Planet (Switch), Double Dragon Neon (Switch), The Mummy Demastered (Switch), The Takedown (PS4), Star Wars: Episode 1Podracer (PS4), Mega Man: The Wily Wars CE (Sega Genesis), and the vinyl soundtrack for Streets of Rage 4, I also received my LRG pre-order for Bloodrayne Betrayal: Fresh Bits (PS5) in the mail. So far I've played, but not finished, all of these games with Freedom Planet & Star Wars: Episode 1 Podracer getting the most playtime so far (I'm 3 stages away from beating Freedom Planet with Lilac and am halfway through all the tournaments in Star Wars: Episode 1 Podracer & have obtained 1st place finishes for every race I've done so far) though that'll be changing by the end of the week as I'm expecting my anticipated pre-order for Evil Dead: The Video Game to arrive in the mail by Friday.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Switch

Animal Crossing

Been back to playing this. Finally bought the Expansion Pack. I'm loving the new stuff I can do. I'm happy that Gyroids are back.

Triangle Strategy

I'm really enjoying the game. But I feel there's so much story and not enough gameplay. The characters are interesting at least

Vita

I was suppose to go back to Suikoden 2 but the save data got corrupted

So been playing

Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together

Only an hour in and the gameplay is interesting. Story is intriguing. The 2D environments and spritework is amazing

Sly Cooper

Really fun sleath game. Love the character design. The voice acting during the cutscenes gives me Saturday Morning Cartoon vibes.

3DS

Yo-Kai Watch 3

Still playing this. Love this franchise. I hope 4 comes out here eventually
Okay, let me get the pleasantries out of the way.

Also went back to Animal Crossing yesterday, for only the second time. My wife plays it daily, but I started my character, and never did anything else. Yesterday I dove in, and had a really fun time.

Yo-kai Watch 3 is great, easily my favorite in the main series so far.

Now...

Tactics Ogre. Set aside everything else in your life, and show fealty to this greatest of games. I can't believe I'm speaking to someone who has not played this before. Savor it...oh, savor it...

CJu_JhHW8AA6PoV.png

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Kimda sick of modern gaming right now so yesterday I booted Emperor - Rise of the Middle Kingdom.

Like it so far. Played loads of Pharaoh and Caesar 3 but never this one. Beginning is slow as usual with all the tutorials though.

Y0ssarian

Banned
I'm near the end of Dragon Quest V, I'm just farming liquid metal slimes before I take on the final story dungeon. Once I'm done with that I'm going to start Secret of Mana (from the Collection of Mana). I've heard good things about it and I liked the Trials of Mana remake.

BlueAlpaca

4 hours into my THIRD attempt at Nier Automata. See here.

It just kept nagging at me and never left my mind. Maybe the atmosphere, story, mood. Or just curiosity to go through it all and see what the hype is about. Just conformity? I don't know. I do know I have too much free time. That's why I play games in the first place so whatever. I'm playing it in smaller sessions and with lower expectations and it's not too bad. Especially since I'm still replaying from the beginning - I deleted my save just to make easier to not replay it and move on... lol here I am. I also spoiled the ending and read it but I don't remember much now honestly, sounded typical anime and much of it was predictable from the beginning.

Also trying too get into Rocket League. I'm just dipping my toes into the tutorials but I'm finding it quite difficult already.

Downloaded Mario 3d World/Bowser's Fury but still haven't started, will do so today.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
cyberpunk 2077 GIF

Game is still rough on console but it won't get any better so Ive decided to finish it once and for all.
maybe if you're playing on a last gen console. if you have a PS5/XSX and have waited this long then i'd be waiting for the rest of the DLC and expansions to come out (unless you don't want to spend anymore money on it). Witcher 3 expansions, if they are anything to go by, significantly changed the game. Witcher 3 added a lot more new story, more map, extra gameplay mechanics. If Cyberpunk expansions are anything like that then i don't think cyberpunk in its current state is the best it's going to be (for ps5/xsx/pc)

Last edited:

Kev Kev

capsule_616x353.jpg

Love the vibes of this game. Killing zombies whilst the mall music plays in the background will never get old.

Just wish the time limit wasn't so punishing to people that like to goof around, as I tend to do that a lot in this game. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
One of my all time favorites

So you can ignore the timer and just mess around in the mall, but the game will end after 6 hours and you’ll have to start a new run. The other drawback to ignoring the timer is the entrance plaza will be difficult to access (not impossible). So if you want unlock the entrance plaza (which has some really useful books and a sweet knife/sword store), you’ll have to follow the missions for an hour or two until it’s unlocked, and THEN you can ignore the timer while now having full access to the entire mall.

The alternative is to grab the maintenance tunnel key from the maintenance tunnels (look up the location) which allows you to utilize underground tunnels to get around the whole mall, including the entrance plaza.

Enjoy! The timer can be a drag but it’s also a lot of fun to try and perfect your run, honing your path, choice of weapons, who to save and who to not, what psychos are worth fighting or not, etc. But I understand the timer complaint and believe they should have added in a true unlimited mode with no locked section. But alas…

Daytonabot

Banned
I'm making my way through 1980s RPGs. After finishing Phantasy Star, Earthbound Origins, and Dragon Quest, I started The Bard's Tale. PS is the clear class of the JRPG side thus far, but the western side is s nice change of pace. For the record, I'm taking advantage of quality of life improvements from modern ports and remasters where possible.

Mainly been alternating between Horizon Forbidden West and Shining Force III Scenario 1. I'm probably still relatively "early" in HFW in terms of completing the main story, tho roughly 25 hours in right now (have been doing pretty much all the side content so far and also taking way too long thinking about what upgrades to go with 😛). Should hopefully have some time through the week to get a couple hours every night or so and save bigger play sessions for the weekend, especially before I put on some more big games to play and switch around with. I've been focusing mainly on ranged combat when able, but it'll prob also help to upgrade some more of the Warrior class stats in cases where I might be forced into close-quarters combat instead. Still have seen no real use in bothering with the Trapper class though. Might consider it a bit more later into the game. Still maybe a ways to go before I get to some of the locations I really want to get to, but the next part coming up looks rather interesting as a change of pace with some of the environmental design.

My thoughts on combat in the game so far is, at least in certain close quarters situations, I can see the POV of some of the people in other threads saying enemies (in particular robots) can be almost too aggressive at times. They do have a tendency to gang up on you and if they get a good hit and chain of hits going you could be in some real trouble. Although the roll helps a ton, an actual standard blocking feature independent of your build type would've been nice to have , too. Or maybe a roll where timing it just before an enemy hits gave you some brief time slowdown to do a slightly more powerful close-quarters strike, but at the cost of some Valor gauge. Something like that.

But except for closed-off areas like some of the caves (and even there only seldom), I haven't had any real issue creating space with a retreat, then sticking with some long-range attacks. I wish the shock arrow bow had better/longer range on it but I've been able to work around that. In the open world in particular, it's very easy to do this especially if you survey your surroundings before going head-first into territory you may not know of just yet.

Also think it would've been a good idea for some time slowdown when selecting from the weapon wheel; since you have to use the analog stick to cycle around and the wheel can start getting clustered even early on with having different weapons on you, selecting a specific weapon can sometimes be a bit of a trick. Since you can't really do too much anyway while the weapon wheel is open maybe the Square and Circle buttons could've been used to cycle between the different equipped weapons? I do see the obvious benefits in how it actually works, though: you can just select any weapon relatively quickly regardless if it's adjacent to a current selected weapon, and in practice that probably works faster than my suggestion, plus wouldn't require nerfing upgrade abilities in the Hunter class just to provide some of those upgrade benefits partially to a general UI feature (plus at least to me it seems like the game does a good job encouraging you to spread out your upgrades among most of the different class types to get optimal results).

Meanwhile, almost halfway through SFIII S1 and just finished the mansion and boss fight with Achback (or however you spell his name). Since SFIII is a SRPG, level-grinding would mean replaying battle scenarios. You actually save EXP between battles even if your characters die (except the main one, if they die you Game Over), but even tho I should probably focus on that at least one time going forward I haven't wanted to risk going back to a Church to heal, cure etc. and then perhaps doing more than one battle in a sequence over again to get back to where I was last at (also why I haven't used Egress to warp back to a Church yet, not 100% sure yet how that would work). Then again you can save mid-battle and I haven't bothered doing that yet either :/

Anyway, it's a pretty notable jump in difficulty once you get into the mansion. Can't buy any healing items because no one's at the shop because the whole place is cursed, and most of the enemies in the mansion don't drop anything for killing them (or at least, didn't seem to). The Liches are incredibly annoying and triggering them to spawn can be challenging when you want to keep a certain formation (including not bunching everyone together or else the Liches can multi-target those party members). The skeletons, not so much, especially since they're weak to certain party members. The succubus on her own is almost as annoying as the Liches but at least there's only one of her and her & the skeletons can be lured out to isolate them.

Achback himself is just cruel. By the time you get to him you'll probably have virtually no healing items, at least a couple party members who need to be critically healed, and you can't even do any damage to him until a specific party member is in range to do a specific technique on him to begin with (and that party member will most likely be killed shortly afterwards). All of his spells are damaging and you take a big risk grouping everyone on him to gang up and attack, BUT if you don't group enough characters up he will automatically recover a big chunk of HP every single turn. On top of that, he never leaves his main room, the pathway to get in is very narrow, and only maybe a small handful of characters can attack him through the wall at all. Oh and by the time he starts attacking you'll still at the very least have both Liches to also deal with Achback has WAY more health than any of the other "bosses" prior.

...And despite being frustrated several times, I loved every second of it. Wish I had a Saturn back in the day (or even some years later when almost all the good games were in bargain bins at super-cheap prices, before the collector market around it/PS1/N64 games really took off) and a copy of SFIII to play on it; seems like it really sucked how it got overlooked by gamers because of other amazing games. Saturn being basically dead by then didn't help at all, either. Would not have considered myself a SRPG fan prior to playing this game, but now it's got me very interested in the subgenre going forward.

I'm playing Elden Ring and it's a lot of fun, but it doesn't live up to Dark Souls or Bloodborne yet at least. Having such a huge game with such a vague story and sense of what you're doing, where you're going when it comes to side-quests is exhausting to me.

I'm riding around doing stuff and it's fun, but I have no idea what's going on or why I'm doing it basically. The whole game could be tighter.

Also, the setting and mood isn't anywhere near as good as their previous games. But it's still better than anything I've played in a while!

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
Wish I had a Saturn back in the day (or even some years later when almost all the good games were in bargain bins at super-cheap prices, before the collector market around it/PS1/N64 games really took off) and a copy of SFIII to play on it; seems like it really sucked how it got overlooked by gamers because of other amazing games. Saturn being basically dead by then didn't help at all, either.
I wish I was a Sega boy back in the day. I played mainly on PC but was raised on NES->SNES->N64 for consoles. I would collect now but there's too much shit to acquire if you genuinely want all the good Sega games since 1987 or whatever.

Based Sega died for a cheap dvd player and shitty movie "games".

At the moment;

Kof XV
Zombie Army 4
Aeon Must Die

(And others games i never stop playing, like Sor4 Mr.X Nightmare, fighting games, old games...My shelves never get dust, i love my games and play/revisit all of them)

The issue is my backlog...Its huge and when i revisit a game, i lost the opportunity to play a new game.

I need two lifes to play them all lmao!

Last edited:

Smiggs

I finished Horizon Forbidden West recently, and I just started playing Burning Crusade Classic so I can be ready when Wrath Classic drops. I absolutely hated Outland, so I've been avoiding playing it until now. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Also nearly done with Cyberpunk (I think).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
GT7 daily, still. Will be playing this for years, me thinks.

Just finished up the NG+/Ultra Hard playthrough on HZD/Frozen this weekend.

Started Days Gone for the first time yesterday. Really digging the setting, story, and especially the gameplay. So many ways to approach and manipulate the hoards early on. So glad I have these PS4 games in backlog on the PS5 now with 4K/60 on most of them. They look and play great!

GrayDock

Finished/platinumed Horizon FW yesterday.
Awesome game, visually stunning sometimes, with some pop-ins and clippings that, sometimes, break the immersion a little. I hope that in the next one, looks promissing, Guerilla can optimize the Decima Engine for PS5 only and we can get those movie quality in game.
Started Elden Ring, just finished the tutorial area, and it is a visual downgrade for sure coming from HFW, but I'll get used to it. The framerate is a problem though, some drops are huge... Sony should ask Bluepoint to help From fix that.

Shmunter

GT7 daily, still. Will be playing this for years, me thinks.

Just finished up the NG+/Ultra Hard playthrough on HZD/Frozen this weekend.

Started Days Gone for the first time yesterday. Really digging the setting, story, and especially the gameplay. So many ways to approach and manipulate the hoards early on. So glad I have these PS4 games in backlog on the PS5 now with 4K/60 on most of them. They look and play great!
I’m just sitting pretty hoping for a gt7 psvr2 announcement

Davey Cakes

I'm working on Dark Souls 3 on PC. I know it's not online right now, but I don't really care. I have the hankering.

Jumped back in to Rogue Legacy 2 after its official release. Put a ton of time into it already while in Early Access, but still need to beat it and try out NG+.

Last edited:

Labadal

Been playing a bit of Resonance of Fate, and despite some grinding, I am having fun. Combat feels very lethal, which means that you can't really afford any mistakes. It's a very unique game, and should be shown to anyone who complains that all jrpgs are exactly the same.

sedg87

Banned
Married the girl of my dreams. Got a fantastic new job. Moved into a new place. Life is great at the moment. A real shame I'm playing The Sims 4. I haven't played much of this entry but I used to play a fair bit of Sims 3.

I'm also still making my way through Blood Omen. I've defeated Malek and I can't remember where to go next!

TrebleShot

I don’t know why, but I’ve been getting into F2P games lately,
Started with eFootball 22, which is addictive and actually really fun online. Building my Erik Ten Hag dream squad and squashing the kiddies with Mbappe, Haaland, CR7 squads, good fun.

Also been playing that Vampire Bloodlines game, which weirdly I find myself coming back to.

Just downloaded Apex, Dauntless, Warframe, FF14 - will see what sticks. Loving GT7 still also and just started Cyberpunk 2077, bounced off Elden Ring pretty hard.

I wish I was a Sega boy back in the day. I played mainly on PC but was raised on NES->SNES->N64 for consoles. I would collect now but there's too much shit to acquire if you genuinely want all the good Sega games since 1987 or whatever.

Based Sega died for a cheap dvd player and shitty movie "games".

My extent to Sega at the time was just MegaDrive/Genesis really; even though I saw a Saturn at discount in a jewelry section one time I didn't even realize it was a Sega system back then. Knew a lot about Dreamcast but since I already had PS1 & N64 (both were somewhat recent, especially N64) I never got my parents to pick one up.

I really miss Sega in the console space as a platform holder but in the end they did kinda destroy themselves with all the in-fighting and corporate political disputes, the different sides basically trying to undermine one another at every step after Genesis/MegaDrive blew up in popularity. Plus, I kinda really enjoyed the movie "games" too so it's not like I could pick and choose 😁

Finished/platinumed Horizon FW yesterday.
Awesome game, visually stunning sometimes, with some pop-ins and clippings that, sometimes, break the immersion a little. I hope that in the next one, looks promissing, Guerilla can optimize the Decima Engine for PS5 only and we can get those movie quality in game.
Started Elden Ring, just finished the tutorial area, and it is a visual downgrade for sure coming from HFW, but I'll get used to it. The framerate is a problem though, some drops are huge... Sony should ask Bluepoint to help From fix that.

What system are you playing Elden Ring on? Framerate stability and smoothness might vary a lot depending on that and your television, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Codes 208

Some friends got me back into playing pokemon sword, after playing arceus and elden ring to death…its kinda nice playing a more traditional turn based rpg.
I'm working on Dark Souls 3 on PC. I know it's not online right now, but I don't really care. I have the hankering.
I actually prefer it offline. I dont get ganked by modders every 20 minutes now.

Reactions: Isa
One of my all time favorites

So you can ignore the timer and just mess around in the mall, but the game will end after 6 hours and you’ll have to start a new run. The other drawback to ignoring the timer is the entrance plaza will be difficult to access (not impossible). So if you want unlock the entrance plaza (which has some really useful books and a sweet knife/sword store), you’ll have to follow the missions for an hour or two until it’s unlocked, and THEN you can ignore the timer while now having full access to the entire mall.

The alternative is to grab the maintenance tunnel key from the maintenance tunnels (look up the location) which allows you to utilize underground tunnels to get around the whole mall, including the entrance plaza.

Enjoy! The timer can be a drag but it’s also a lot of fun to try and perfect your run, honing your path, choice of weapons, who to save and who to not, what psychos are worth fighting or not, etc. But I understand the timer complaint and believe they should have added in a true unlimited mode with no locked section. But alas…
Taking your advice on board. Will make the game a little easier for me as well being levelled up a tad before my proper run, as some of the game can be pretty tough. Especially the psychopaths.

GrayDock

What system are you playing Elden Ring on? Framerate stability and smoothness might vary a lot depending on that and your television, too.
On PS5. Started with the quality option (30fps), not beatifull but really crisp. Will try the performance option later and see how it goes. My old TV has VRR, but to use it I get some audio delay with it's ARC, so it's a no go for me.

ParaSeoul

Elden ring,i got it late and this game does not want to end. Last 3 bosses are pretty easy but then they make you fight some retarded fat amoeba that just runs away from you 90% of the fight with shit tons of health.

On PS5. Started with the quality option (30fps), not beatifull but really crisp. Will try the performance option later and see how it goes. My old TV has VRR, but to use it I get some audio delay with it's ARC, so it's a no go for me.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I was deliberating whether to pick up ER or HFW first (still on PS4) but hearing about the ER performance issues was one of the reasons I went with HFW. Which I'll most likely end up finishing on PS5 at my current pace, and can pick up ER later to play on that as well.

PC was an option and while I've heard perf issues have been ironed out on that side, seeing all the crashes put me off.

Isa

I've been making my way through Nights of Azure on PS5. Enjoying it so far, I've played it before as I bought it at launch but played much more online with friends back then. I plan on either hopping to NoA2 afterwards or another Atelier title, then perhaps starting a trek through Xenoblade Chronicles DE. On the side still chipping away at Kirby and going old school beat 'em up and shoot 'em up happy with my girl in a bunch of different games, namely Sega stuff(SoR, Golden Axe). Really loving the spritework and animation in the Pocky and Rocky game that recently released on Switch, but one thing I've noticed lately, man I suck at games now. I was never that good at shooters, generally suck. But damn if my reflexes aren't what they used to be. Also just used to current gen game design so I've gotten soft.

I've been setting up different systems around the house on other TV's to mess around in when either of us get the hankering. I've been on an oldschool kick, been dying to try Golden Axe on the SMS but don't want to shell out 400 dollery-doos. So I bought the Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection for my PS3. I've tried in using Emulation and liked it, but I wanted an easy to plug and play official copy.

Top Bottom