• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Mr Hyde

AC Valhalla is very good so far. The Vikings and the lore and mythology of the Norse gods is much more compelling than the Greeks in Odyssey. The world is more enjoyable to explore, it doesn't feel copy pasted, the art direction is very nice, very beautiful. Run down villages and towns, swamps and murky forests is more my cup of tea than fancy Greek temples and pseudo intellectual philosophers. The story and characters are top notch. Eivor and Sigurd are relatable and sympathetic but still brutal and vicious. I love the gory executions, the stealth mechanics and the overall combat. So much better than Odyssey. I hope this can be the first AC I truly appreciate. It's a strong start at least.

badboyyy

Sorry but that was my first impression, but later you will see “same old friend..another AC with the samy gameplay, mechanics, lore and everything else”

“AC Valhalla is very good so far. The Vikings and the lore and mythology of the Norse gods is much more compelling than the Greeks in Odyssey. The world is more enjoyable to explore, it doesn't feel copy pasted, the art direction is very nice, very beautiful. Run down villages and towns, swamps and murky forests is more my cup of tea than fancy Greek temples and pseudo intellectual philosophers. The story and characters are top notch. Eivor and Sigurd are relatable and sympathetic but still brutal and vicious. I love the gory executions, the stealth mechanics and the overall combat. So much better than Odyssey. I hope this can be the first AC I truly appreciate. It's a strong start at least.”

Last edited:

MachRc

Finished Last of Us 1, and few hours into The Last of Us 2.

Joel , the whole game mechanics, reminds me of Sam Fisher in Splinter Cell.. Mix of gears of war( I dunno why), splinter cell, with a dash of resident evil.
I cried through the guitar song. Must be a good game.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Recently been playing Star Ocean Second Story after I got good deal on eBay for it. I regret selling my copy years ago. I did the whole trick to get the Marvel Sword, which took 3 hours to pull off. 20 minutes of save scumming until I realized you needed the Dexterity ability. Classic JRPG goodness before they started holding our hands. 😆 I’ve been playing Berserk on PS2 and JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure on PS1. Not a whole lot. I retired Elder Lillies. Played some Chapter 2 of Poppy Playtime. Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R and Alpha 3 MAX on Vita. What a blast those fighting games are. I also started Final Fantasy VI pixel remastered version on Steam, but I want a Steam Deck before I truly dive into my Steam library again.

Mr Hyde

Sorry but that was my first impression, but later you will see “same old friend..another AC with the samy gameplay, mechanics, lore and everything else”

I'm very impressed so far with Valhalla. 20 hours in. It's been varied and entertaining, not at all repetitive and samey as Odyssey. It might be like that going forward but right now I really like the game. The world events have been fun and original, building your own settlement adds depth to the adventure, Jomsviking reminds me of the pawn system in Dragon's Dogma, raids are fun, combat is weighty and brutal. There is so much more variety here than Odyssey, which was shallow and boring. Loot system and weapon upgrade is better too.

Valhalla also boasts amazing graphics with high production values. Incredible detail and atmosphere. As a Scandinavian I love the setting and lore. Story is good so far. Maybe the game falls off a cliff further on but right now it feels like Ubi actually put some fucking effort in compared to Odyssey.

watdaeff4

Right now I’m thoroughly enjoying Nobody Saves the World. So much fun

Also playing Horizon Forbidden West which is fine because I’m an Ubisoft open-world formula fan.

MachRc

Recently been playing Star Ocean Second Story after I got good deal on eBay for it.
Looking back Star Ocean The last Hope, that was my first Star Ocean and it was a great RPG. I recall the colorful(cutesy) characters and the planets you travel to. It had alot of depth. I dont know if I have the time to check out the 2nd one
looks like I would have to emulate the psp for the remake. Hopefully on the phone with a kishi controller. I do have a PSone lying around somewhere with one of the dics for FF9 in it (maybe its FF8), but It would be perfect on the go.

Ahh I now after searching online realize The old Xbox Last hope isnt the first in the series...I may take some time to ADD and laser focus on getting it to work on the PPSPP gold app today.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Looking back Star Ocean The last Hope, that was my first Star Ocean and it was a great RPG. I recall the colorful(cutesy) characters and the planets you travel to. It had alot of depth. I dont know if I have the time to check out the 2nd one
looks like I would have to emulate the psp for the remake. Hopefully on the phone with a kishi controller. I do have a PSone lying around somewhere with one of the dics for FF9 in it (maybe its FF8), but It would be perfect on the go.

Ahh I now after searching online realize The old Xbox Last hope isnt the first in the series...I may take some time to ADD and laser focus on getting it to work on the PPSPP gold app today.
Check out First Departure. It’s a great game. It has good boss fights and it gives you a glimpse at what Star Ocean was/is. You can definitely base your judgements off the first two games and then Till the End of Time is on PS4 as a PS2 classic. I’d the say the first two games showcase the series at its heart. Characters from one world being mixed with issues from far far away. First Departure has some good supporting characters and the plot gets interesting as it unfolds. The second game takes all that and builds on the formula. I didn’t find the characters to be as obnoxious as some of them were in the Last Hope. After playing the first two games, you might hold the series to a new set of standards. I’m surprised we aren’t getting a modern port of Second Evolution (Second Story). We are expecting another Star Ocean within a year or two. I’m hoping The Divine Force is good.

Daytonabot

Banned
I'm making my way through 1980s RPGs. After finishing Phantasy Star, Earthbound Origins, and Dragon Quest, I started The Bard's Tale. PS is the clear class of the JRPG side thus far, but the western side is s nice change of pace. For the record, I'm taking advantage of quality of life improvements from modern ports and remasters where possible.
My Steam Deck came, so now I am also playing Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster on there. The combination of FF music and the Deck's speakers is really impressive.

amigastar

Just installed Little Witch in the Woods. It's on gamepass and if it's gonna be at least a little bit like Stardew Valley i'm happy.

AndrewRyan

Alienation. Got this and Matterfall last year but only got around to playing Alienation recently. What an amazing game! Nex Machina is my favorite twin-stick shooter of so this is incredible since it shares so much but is co-op with RPG. Glad Housemarque partnered with Sony since I've missed almost all their releases due to poor exposure. It's on sale on PSN for $4.99 and part of PS premium so more people should be discovering/enjoying it soon too.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Curse of the Dead Gods.

The PS plus game is actually pretty fun and addictive. The combat is really tight and satisfying for what it is. As a roguelike, it is not bad regarding to difficulty, the curses at beginning do seem intimidating, but once you get the hang of the mechanics, they provide more benefits rather than handicaps. Definitely recommend to try it out if you have PS plus.

4nyyG1Z.png

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Finished Pokemon Snap. it was a fun nostalgic game. Needed something short and simple to clear my head and relax.

Not sure what to play next. My options are:

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
Skyward Sword Remake
Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade
Tokyo Mirage Session's FE Encore

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
After almost a month away from games (aside from a bit Emperor here and there) I bounced back yesterday, got the last trophies ans Horizon FW and had it off my hard drive a second later. Solid game I guess but boy does it simply represent everything I dislike about todays games.

Will prolly now jump back into Skyrim and finally do the Solstheim DLC. Wasn‘t too impressed with Dawnguard so I do hope that this one delivers.

BlueAlpaca

Finished Pokemon Snap. it was a fun nostalgic game. Needed something short and simple to clear my head and relax.

Not sure what to play next. My options are:

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
Skyward Sword Remake
Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade
Tokyo Mirage Session's FE Encore

Mario 3D World qualifies under short and simple... Until the last few worlds, where sometimes it reaches Mario Sunshine level of satanic game design. This is assuming you'll be playing each level with the intent of getting all collectibles.

I'm finishing it up now, already getting a little burnout so will not be moving on to Bowser's Fury until after the next game which is... Bloodborne. Pray for me.

RAIDEN1

Renegade Ops on the 360....the first time yesterday did I manage to get past the first mission, only because I had it on "casual" mode....otherwise on normal, you'll be lucky to make it through just on 5 lives..Also went back to Joe Danger 2 earlier in the week....had it from years ago on the trial....might get the full version

sedg87

Banned
Been playing a couple of very old horror games: Rule of Rose and Phantasmagoria. First time playing Rule of Rose and around my third time playing Phantasmagoria.

I've assembled a little list of old horror games to play and these are:
Clock Tower 3
Kuon
Hellnight
Obscure
Chaos Break
Haunting Ground
Silent Hill 1 and 2

The only games there that I've played are the two Silent Hill games tho' I've never finished either.

Mr Hyde

Been balls deep in AC Valhalla for the last couple of days. Absolutely love it so far. Doing Wrath of the Druids now and the story is very good. The lore and mythos is very well written and adds a huge chunk of atmosphere to the game. The character customization is also very nice. Looking like a bad ass templar knight or mystic knight with awesome spears and swords really gets my juices flowing. The fashion in this game is second to none.

There is so much to do here, lots of variety and almost everything is fun. And the game never feels repetitive or boring because the world is so incredibly fun to explore. Building your settlement, trading, fishing and collecting stuff is actually pretty well done here. Side activities in games usually falls flat for me but in Valhalla it just clicks. I really didn't think I was gonna get so hooked on this.

Fredrik

Elden Ring
Can’t believe how much content they’ve put into this game, nothing can compete, literally everything will feel empty once I’m done with this. Played for maybe 2 hours last night, stumbled onto a whole new world with it’s own map, fought two bosses, not sure anything was even mandatory. GOTY

Orta

Banned
I gave Death Stranding (pc) another go last night.

Just not for me I guess. It looks great, character models are amazing, atmosphere is spot on, but its just so daft and of the four or five hours I've 'played' its mostly cut-scene after cut-scene. I knew what I was getting with a Kojima game but the man is obviously off his tits. And as for those cut scenes they are utterly bewildering.

Another thing that pissed me off big time were the menus, stupidly complex. I jabbed my way through them as normal at one point, was set for another mission and literally couldn't get out of a particular one. It just seemed to keep looping when I accepted my mission. Could have been a glitch but at that point I was done.

Shame.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Got the plat trophy for Salt & Sacrifice this week and now I'm fully hooked by Ghostwire Tokyo, loving everything about the game 14 hours in, Mikami and co have created another banger, going to miss seeing Tango on PlayStation but they're leaving in style.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
not playing it yet but bought and downloading FFVII Remake Intergrade on PC. Epic is doing a sale right now and it works out about a 53% discount. I paid £37.24 i think. No way I paying £70 lmfao. I could've got it cheaper if I bought a physical PS4 copy but don't mind an extra ~£17 to not have a physical disc and play it on PS4.

Mario 3D World qualifies under short and simple... Until the last few worlds, where sometimes it reaches Mario Sunshine level of satanic game design. This is assuming you'll be playing each level with the intent of getting all collectibles.

I'm finishing it up now, already getting a little burnout so will not be moving on to Bowser's Fury until after the next game which is... Bloodborne. Pray for me.
i'm probably going to start it and switch (heh) between that and FFVII on pc. i'm not really one for collecting everything so i'll see how it goes :)

i was considering replaying Bloodborne again but I want to focus on games i havent played for now. after Elden Ring i couldnt stop thinking about Bloodborne. Elden Ring was fun but I love how small and balanced Bloodborne is. It's a fantastic game. If it's your first time then don't give up :) Go slow, don't rush into areas, pebbles are your friend as they make it easy to fight enemies 1v1, and learn to parry with your gun. You'll be kicking ass in no time ;)

Last edited:

stn

I beat Vampyr (PS4) recently, very solid RPG. Recommended. Tonight I'm planning to beat Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (PS4). After that, I'm gonna beat Pokemon Shield (Switch), since I'm at the end. My long-term game is Elden Ring (XSX), I'm taking my time with it.

Fitzchiv

Working through some "to do list" games recently, so for example just completed Kingdom Come Deliverance for the first time as it's been sat in my games list since I bought it on sale 2 years ago. Combat took some getting used to but once past that I really, really enjoyed that game. Thoroughly recommend it, particularly because Warhorse Studios didn't get tempted into reflecting modern themes and identity politics etc. It's as faithful a recreation of eastern european medievil societ as they could gamify, yet manages to be light hearted and generally a feel good game.

Then I am currently absolutely racing through the remaster of Bioshock 2 - having completed it originally on the 360. Didn't expect to be enjoying this one as much as I am either, it was more of a "i've paid for this so I'll play it" kind of gap filler before starting something more chunky. Great remaster, great overall game and tees up Infinity for me as I for some reason gave that a swerve when released.

Pallas

Honestly… too many games but I’m investing a lot into Eiyuden Chronicles: Rising, but I also started playing Yakuza 3 and while I love the Yakuza 3, going from Kiwami 2 to 3 is a little rough. But don’t get me wrong, I love the change of scenery in 3, but that hostess mini game for example is a little annoying this time around.

Shmunter

Working through some "to do list" games recently, so for example just completed Kingdom Come Deliverance for the first time as it's been sat in my games list since I bought it on sale 2 years ago. Combat took some getting used to but once past that I really, really enjoyed that game. Thoroughly recommend it, particularly because Warhorse Studios didn't get tempted into reflecting modern themes and identity politics etc. It's as faithful a recreation of eastern european medievil societ as they could gamify, yet manages to be light hearted and generally a feel good game.

Then I am currently absolutely racing through the remaster of Bioshock 2 - having completed it originally on the 360. Didn't expect to be enjoying this one as much as I am either, it was more of a "i've paid for this so I'll play it" kind of gap filler before starting something more chunky. Great remaster, great overall game and tees up Infinity for me as I for some reason gave that a swerve when released.
It’s a killer that they haven’t gone back for Kingdom Come Deliverance and updated it for next gen.

Top Bottom