• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game was effusively recommended to you but you ended up thinking it was trash?

.Pennywise

Banned
I'll go first:
Gone Home: under the premise of being a great game with an astonishing story and storytelling alike, I shall play the game with little to no info about it so I could experience the full blow... And oh my gosh it was a fffff blow. The game started good and had a really eerie atmosphere with some interesting clues as to what was happening only to end up being the story of an emo lesbian.

---> USE SPOILERS WHERE NEEDED <---

Gone Home was really the first one I was straight up pissed with and not because of the subject matter. More so, and this is a me/them problem of setting and managing expecations, was thinking the story was going to go in a very, very different direction only to be smacked with some after-school, mundane shit.

Celeste is also one I just can't understand the love for.

Skyrim and Fallout. Assassin's Creed too, for that matter.

I've just never clicked with games that don't have strong mechanics/gameplay and strong storytelling and care more about the largeness of things instead.

I do have high hopes for Starfield to be better though, traditionally I haven't been much of a fan of Bethesda's offerings.

bender

What time is it?
Guardians of the Galaxy

Sometimes a game just isn't a good fit. I can't say it was trash, but I did not enjoy it.

This is probably the most recent example. I'm not really into comics but I found the action to be incredibly dull. To add something new to the thread: Ion Fury. I really wanted to love this but I wasn't a fan of the weapons at all.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
God of War 2017. "The story is amazing" Story is bland, boring and almost a repulsive and dated father son story. Stopped playing as soon as the son found out he was a god and did a heal turn that would be laughed at in pro wrestling story telling...

You took the words out of my mouth.

I had a great hype for the game and more for the trailer of the puppies.

I left it halfway and I haven't taken it up yet.

I_D

World of Warcraft was the biggest one, for me.

Diablo 2 was (and is) my favorite game of all time, and it felt like such a huge punch to the gut when I first tried WoW.
I know better now, and I understand how genres work, and the limitations of MMOs, and so forth. And I can recognize that WoW is pretty much the best of its class, and that it has more content than almost every other game, ever.
At the time, though, it just felt like my favorite company had decided to release a game that was clunkier in basically every single way, compared to their previous (and the best ever) game.

And then ALLLLLLLLL of my friends got obsessed with it. I don't mean they liked it. I mean they talked about literally nothing else, 24-7, for about five years straight.
I tried so hard to like that game...

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Fucking Bloodborne.

One of the worst pieces of shit I’ve ever came across. Only saving grace was the cool art design but castlevania did it decades earlier. Abysmal 1996 esque combat, retarded enemies, no story, PS3 graphics, trash tier performance all rolled into one big pile of shit.

Fucking Bloodborne.

One of the worst pieces of shit I’ve ever came across. Only saving grace was the cool art design but castlevania did it decades earlier. Abysmal 1996 esque combat, retarded enemies, no story, PS3 graphics, trash tier performance all rolled into one big pile of shit.

And yet you think TLOU2 is one of the greatest games of all time. I dont’ think you know what constitutes good game design.

bender

What time is it?
Fucking Bloodborne.

images

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Shadow of Colossus on PS2.

This game must had got all 9s and 10s.

The worst frame rate I played on PS2. The game must had chopped down to 15 fps during scenes. It was so bad that I rebooted the game after the first play because I thought maybe disc was faulty or the drive was skipping and it cant be this bad all game. It was.

Last edited:

Banned
Shadow of Colossus on PS2.

This game must had got all 9s and 10s.

The worst frame rate I played on PS2. The game must had chopped down to 15 fps during scenes. It was so bad that I rebooted the game after the first play because I thought maybe disc was faulty or the drive was skipping and it cant be this bad all game. It was.

I had the same issue with the PS2 version... unplayable.
thank god they rereleased it (twice)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I had the same issue with the PS2 version... unplayable.
thank god they rereleased it (twice)
Not sure why the fps was so bad. Ya the bosses were big and cool, but it should had been able to hold a smooth 30. Expecting 60 fps at that time was asking too much for all games, but it couldnt even hold 30.

laynelane

I've just never clicked with games that don't have strong mechanics/gameplay and strong storytelling and care more about the largeness of things instead.

I do have high hopes for Starfield to be better though, traditionally I haven't been much of a fan of Bethesda's offerings.

Skyrim and Fallout for me too. I can't say they're trash, but people really hyped up Bethesda games to me so I decided to try them. I wound up liking the world-building and lore for Fallout enough to finish Fallout 3 and continue playing the series. But there does seem to be an issue with a certain shallowness in the story-telling, clunky combat, etc. Skyrim is a game I've started many times, but never finished. I just get bored and the quest design and bugs frustrate me over time. It's possible Starfield will be different, but the 1000 planets shtick is a red flag imo.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
LA Noire was another one. Not among the worst games I played, but just boring.

If it wasnt for the awesome mocap faces, I would had bailed fast. I got through maybe 1/3rd of the game. The game's action scenes were poorly coded too as they got super choppy as well. That first shootout scene (I think it's at a bank) has aiming was barely doable on 360.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
And yet you think TLOU2 is one of the greatest games of all time. I dont’ think you know what constitutes good game design.
The greatest, not one of 😎.
Bloodborne has good enemy designs and thats it. Can’t believe the praise it got
I am so sorry you couldn't get past Gascoigne.
I don’t even know who the hell that is. Another overrated boss?

1. Gone Home - Maybe it's because I'm not American but the "twist" at the end was pointless to me.

2. What remains of Edith Finch - I played through it but it didn't leave much an impression on me yet people were raving.

3. Firewatch - It looked nice but other than that it was average and the main guy is kind of a SIMP.

4. Life is Strange "Season 1?" - I beat the first chapter and it was a chore to even do that. I couldn't connect at all with the main character or the ensemble so dropped it.

5. Oxenfree - Average in all aspects yet was recommended to me for the story.

6. Journey - I don't understand the experience people had with this game. Maybe it's because I played it at a time when it was basically dead on PS3 and only other saw 1 person. But it was baffling how much praise it got.

7. Night in the Woods - it was all downhill from the start.

I try to avoid the hype surrounding "walking simulator" type games now but I still enjoyed games like Abzu and Brothers a Tale of Two Sons even though they did not get as much praise. Plus I want to try Road 96 & Oberserver.

Three

God of War 2017. "The story is amazing" Story is bland, boring and almost a repulsive and dated father son story. Stopped playing as soon as the son found out he was a god and did a heal turn that would be laughed at in pro wrestling story telling...
What god of war released in 2017? Was it some Wish.com version?

bender

What time is it?
Skyrim and Fallout for me too. I can't say they're trash, but people really hyped up Bethesda games to me so I decided to try them. I wound up liking the world-building and lore for Fallout enough to finish Fallout 3 and continue playing the series. But there does seem to be an issue with a certain shallowness in the story-telling, clunky combat, etc. Skyrim is a game I've started many times, but never finished. I just get bored and the quest design and bugs frustrate me over time. It's possible Starfield will be different, but the 1000 planets shtick is a red flag imo.

I'd almost recommend Morrowind to you but the combat is even more clunky. It does a much better job of world building and isn't afraid of letting you get lost.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
1. Gone Home - Maybe it's because I'm not American but the "twist" at the end was pointless to me.

2. What remains of Edith Finch - I played through it but it didn't leave much an impression on me yet people were raving.

3. Firewatch - It looked nice but other than that it was average and the main guy is kind of a SIMP.

4. Life is Strange "Season 1?" - I beat the first chapter and it was a chore to even do that. I couldn't connect at all with the main character or the ensemble so dropped it.

5. Oxenfree - Average in all aspects yet was recommended to me for the story.

6. Journey - I don't understand the experience people had with this game. Maybe it's because I played it at a time when it was basically dead on PS3 and only other saw 1 person. But it was baffling how much praise it got.

7. Night in the Woods - it was all downhill from the start.

I try to avoid the hype surrounding "walking simulator" type games now but I still enjoyed games like Abzu and Brothers a Tale of Two Sons even though they did not get as much praise. Plus I want to try Road 96 & Oberserver.
Any time I see an indie game resembling walking sims or have narrative driven plots I avoid. I totally understand some gamers like chill games like this you can probably beat in a day, but not my thing.

Pagusas

Elden Member
God of War PS4 - Trash

Elden Ring - Trash

TLOU - Trash

Death Loop - The smelliest of traah

Uncharted 1 and 2 - Horrible traah

Death loop and Elden Ring finally made me give up on listening to any user recommendations from Gaf, the common taste of this forum just doesn’t line up with mine.

Last edited:

Three

Weirdly a lot of PS3 nutters were recommending Noby Noby Boy and based on the devs previous work of Katamari damacy I thought hell yeah. When I bought and launched it the only thing I could think was "WTF is this?"

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I love these games and played to them to death, but the critiques of the game which is often clunky gameplay, fetch quests, buggy, way too much useless filler are things I agree with anyone.

To me, the games are great simply because I can do my own thing at my own pace. The types of games there's zero pressure to do the main quest and the majority of quests have no time limit. It's a weird thing because you can get a quest to clear and it'll still be achievable even if you wait months of game time. The quest will still be there. So it's kind of dumb how time stands still till you feel like getting around to it, but thats the nature of giant RPGs. Things seem so isolated from one another as everything depends on you to activate and do vs. a real world time crunch to do shit asap before mega demons take over.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I'll go first:
Gone Home: under the premise of being a great game with an astonishing story and storytelling alike, I shall play the game with little to no info about it so I could experience the full blow... And oh my gosh it was a fffff blow. The game started good and had a really eerie atmosphere with some interesting clues as to what was happening only to end up being the story of an emo lesbian.

---> USE SPOILERS WHERE NEEDED <---
What!? Who told you that about Gone Home? Drop them like a bad habit.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member

Mannn…Fallout is so bad, especially the early ones. 4 wasn’t very good, but at least I was able to complete it.

laynelane

I'd almost recommend Morrowind to you but the combat is even more clunky. It does a much better job of world building and isn't afraid of letting you get lost.

I'd like to try Morrowind and Oblivion, actually. Unfortunately, I can't get Morrowind on the platform I play on though I could potentially get Oblivion if I searched (and paid) enough. I can handle clunky combat if the story and lore are engaging (I play and love RE games after all lol), it was more that in all the raving and praising for Bethesda games - not one person mentioned the combat being sub-par.

Gotta say, I do love the idea of a game that isn't afraid to let you get lost, make mistakes, etc. I hope Bethesda goes back to that design philosophy one day since it makes for an amazing RPG experience when there are actual stakes and consequences to your actions.

Top Bottom