• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game was effusively recommended to you but you ended up thinking it was trash?

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Fucking Bloodborne.

One of the worst pieces of shit I’ve ever came across. Only saving grace was the cool art design but castlevania did it decades earlier. Abysmal 1996 esque combat, retarded enemies, no story, PS3 graphics, trash tier performance all rolled into one big pile of shit.
Someone had to say it. Fully agreed, and add all the other Souls games while we are at it. To me, making a game in a dark setting and making it incredibly difficult does not mean it’s good….like, ever.

Someone had to say it. Fully agreed, and add all the other Souls games while we are at it. To me, making a game in a dark setting and making it incredibly difficult does not mean it’s good….like, ever.
Except they are not really that difficult. If you don't understand animations, invincibility frames, boss patterns and the ability to know when to strike or not, that is not the game's fault. It simply means the games are not for you and that you lack that type of a skill and that's the simple truth.

I may not like Breath of the Wild or Skyrim, but that doesn't mean they are bad games either, they are just not for me.

There is a whole community dedicated to No-Hit runs for Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Elden Ring/Sekiro and even speed runs with no-hits. It doesn't make them trash games, they are simply just not for you.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Except they are not really that difficult. If you don't understand animations, invincibility frames, boss patterns and the ability to know when to strike or not, that is not the game's fault. It simply means the games are not for you and that you lack that type of a skill and that's the simple truth.

I may not like Breath of the Wild or Skyrim, but that doesn't mean they are bad games either, they are just not for me.

There is a whole community dedicated to No-Hit runs for Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Elden Ring/Sekiro and even speed runs with no-hits. It doesn't make them trash games, they are simply just not for you.

I can get on board with that. I respect your opinion if you enjoy those types of games. I work 40+ hours at my job, I don’t want the stress of frustration, rinse, repeat, learn, try to get gud, to enjoy myself when I get home after my actual job.
But I do respect the fact that many people do enjoy that type of game.
EDIT - To add, if they would have patched the frame rate to 60 on Bloodborne, I might feel a little bit differently about it.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'd like to try Morrowind and Oblivion, actually. Unfortunately, I can't get Morrowind on the platform I play on though I could potentially get Oblivion if I searched (and paid) enough. I can handle clunky combat if the story and lore are engaging (I play and love RE games after all lol), it was more that in all the raving and praising for Bethesda games - not one person mentioned the combat being sub-par.

Gotta say, I do love the idea of a game that isn't afraid to let you get lost, make mistakes, etc. I hope Bethesda goes back to that design philosophy one day since it makes for an amazing RPG experience when there are actual stakes and consequences to your actions.

People really liked Oblivion, specifically a few quest lines and the DLC. I couldn't stand it personally. It has a ton of streamlining that just killed the exploration aspect for me. Morrowind was my first and only Bethesda game I loved.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
All iterations of Street Fighter IV and V. The speed and animated personality of the 2D games is lost in translation and the result feels sloppy.

Last edited:
I can get on board with that. I respect your opinion if you enjoy those types of games. I work 40+ hours at my job, I don’t want the stress of frustration, rinse, repeat, learn, try to get gud, to enjoy myself when I get home after my actual job.
Yeah, if you do not have the time to learn it or understand the game's mechanics then its understandable. My very 1st exposure to these types of games was the original Demon's Souls on the PS3 and I'll be the first to admit I thought it was horrendous. But then Dark Souls came out and every praised it. So I said fuck it, let me try again and decided to put some time into learning it and now the Soulsborne are one of my top franchises ever. It's one of those games that either you come back to and give it all you got and commit the time (if you can find any) or just move on to playing something else that you can enjoy right off the bat.

Yes, plenty of people do indeed enjoy those types of Games. Elden Ring is currently a runner up for GOTY. It will most likely be Elden Ring and God of War Ragnarok for GOTY competition. Their games sell extremely well and have become mainstream. They've gotten so popular that even indie developers try to create their own version of the souls formula. It's quite insane how influential those games are.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'd like to try Morrowind and Oblivion, actually. Unfortunately, I can't get Morrowind on the platform I play on though I could potentially get Oblivion if I searched (and paid) enough. I can handle clunky combat if the story and lore are engaging (I play and love RE games after all lol), it was more that in all the raving and praising for Bethesda games - not one person mentioned the combat being sub-par.

Gotta say, I do love the idea of a game that isn't afraid to let you get lost, make mistakes, etc. I hope Bethesda goes back to that design philosophy one day since it makes for an amazing RPG experience when there are actual stakes and consequences to your actions.
I never played Morrowind, but Oblivion I did and beat it. If you dont like Skyrim you wont like Oblivion either. Oblivion is basically a a scaled down Skyrim whose colour palette is more bold and bloomy. You'll lots of green and yellow. Skyrim is more grey and brown.

laynelane

I love these games and played to them to death, but the critiques of the game which is often clunky gameplay, fetch quests, buggy, way too much useless filler are things I agree with anyone.

To me, the games are great simply because I can do my own thing at my own pace. The types of games there's zero pressure to do the main quest and the majority of quests have no time limit. It's a weird thing because you can get a quest to clear and it'll still be achievable even if you wait months of game time. The quest will still be there. So it's kind of dumb how time stands still till you feel like getting around to it, but thats the nature of giant RPGs. Things seem so isolated from one another as everything depends on you to activate and do vs. a real world time crunch to do shit asap before mega demons take over.

Agreed there's a lot of freedom in how you approach things. When I started Fallout 3, I was coming from JRPGs which normally started linear and opened up over the course of the game. I exited the vault and was at a loss to what I should do or do first maybe. It took time, but I eventually grew to appreciate that as I became more knowledgeable about the game - went from confusion to go to junkyard -> get Dogmeat -> get Victory rifle -> start game proper lol.

I just hope they don't ever repeat the timed Minutemen Radiant quests from Fallout 4 (that cannot be refused). Reading your comment made me realize how unusual those are compared to the zero pressure of other quests. They were not a good change either.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Agreed there's a lot of freedom in how you approach things. When I started Fallout 3, I was coming from JRPGs which normally started linear and opened up over the course of the game. I exited the fault and was at a loss to what I should do or do first maybe. It took time, but I eventually grew to appreciate that as I became more knowledgeable about the game - went from confusion to go to junkyard -> get Dogmeat -> get Victory rifle -> start game proper lol.

I just hope they don't ever repeat the timed Minutemen Radiant quests from Fallout 4 (that cannot be refused). Reading your comment made me realize how unusual those are compared to the zero pressure of other quests. They were not a good change either.
Open world games (often western) arent the types of games for completionists either. You got to be a hardcore gamer to do everything.

I cleared out most Fallout 3 locations, but realized what a time sink that was as well as repetitive. So when I played Skyrim on 360 I wasnt so amped up on finding every location. I'd clear out shit and eventually beat the game on Series X (continuing my cloud game saves from my Xbox One!).

When I played Oblivion, I actually had bookmarked game sites that showed every location that was in the game thinking I would literally clear out like 200 locations. Then I realized how dumb that was and just randomly explored. Then got to a point I just said fuck it, I had enough dabbling and bee lined the main quest to beat it.

I'm no developer, but I dont think they expect gamers to do so much in open world games. They want to give gamers the freedom to do their own path and eventually beat the game. But some of the complaints come from gamers trying to every quest, so of course it'll get repetitive. It sounds pretty hard to make 200 quests all insanely different. If the average gamer was modest in their open world gaming where they dabble with some parts of the game and then beat it, it wont be so samey and like a burden. But I think a lot of open world gamers do this:

- Boot up game and create character
- Explore on your own doing as much shit as possible even if its repetitive like the 25th cave to clear out
- At some point either quit the game due to burn out and dont want to spend time beating the main quest, or they finally get to the main quest
- Final rating. Either it's a great game because I did a lot of shit. Or the game sucks because it's a smorgasbord of repetitious stuff

I dont think too many gamers buy an open world game and all they do is bee line the main quest and then quit.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

Outer Wilds. That didn't click at all for me.

Also Spiderman (ps4) and Metal Gear Solid 5.

Thinking back on FF7 remake, all I remember is running around in that very boring slum, doing some of the most boring quests ever in a rpg. I did however manage to finish that game, so I guess I can't fully include it.

EDIT - To add, if they would have patched the frame rate to 60 on Bloodborne, I might feel a little bit differently about it.

I work 70-80 hours a week. Souls games are as stressful as deciding whether to order Chinese takeout or pizza.

The greatest, not one of 😎.
Bloodborne has good enemy designs and thats it. Can’t believe the praise it got

I don’t even know who the hell that is. Another overrated boss?

Ah yes, terrible AI, bad level design, horrible writing, bad sound design (but admittedly, they may have fixed it - but on launch I had so many terrible sound ”glitches, such as shooting a guy in the throat and him screaming like I shot him in the foot, and enemies calling out while being dead), terrible gameplay with zero depth (and yes, I played on Grounded and still beat the game without dying once and ignoring most of the enemies as the aI was so easily abused, I could have mistaken it for a PS2 title), truly it was the “greatest” game - if you never played a video game before and hated yourself.

This game is about as “Great” as the last shit I took.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
The Last of Us

What really pisses me off, is that there’s actually a good story here, just the hacks that put it together didn’t know how to tell it properly.

Hopefully the show fixes that issue.

God Of War reboot, babysitting that retarded boy was fucking awful. I really enjoyed the Nordic myth retelling, but then I read Norse Mythology by Neil Gaimen and realized how much more interesting the characters could have been.

Dragon Age 2 and 3 both pure dog shit, 3 more so.

Mass Effect 2 and 3, 3 moreso.

ME 2 they didn’t know how to make a TPS so you had some half baked trash. The story was also painfully paint by numbers, go to new planet find new member figure out their dull problem. ME 3 they kept the shifty TPS didn’t fix anything but tacked on a shitty multiplayer skirmish mode that you had to play so much of to get something or another.

The Outer Worlds, holy fucking dumpster fire, this isn’t worth describing all the issues of. Here’s a quick example, you destroy a community‘s source of income and they all still say the same fucking line they said when you first met making the whole “choices matter“ thing moot.

Doom Eternal a ping and ding simulator managing too many dumb recharging abilities, taking all the amazing shit from the 2016 reboot cranking it to 11 letting the speakers blow to fucking shit so that all you can hear is fucking trash. Fuck what they did to that newly rebooted series.

Last edited:

Fbh

This just turned into "which popular game don't you like".

Anyway that actually have been recommend to me by people:

-Trails in the Sky was described to me by a friend as the greatest JRPG ever with the greatest story ever. Gave it a try but it just wasn't for me. I found the main character annoying, it felt like nothing major happened in the story during the 15 hours I played, and the art style is ugly (I get it's low budget but some simple pixel art would have been way nicer). Then I was told "the first game is more like setting up the story but then in the next one it gets crazy".
But yeah, I'm not going to play 40 hours of "setting up the story".

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: Coworker who was a massive souls fan told me I should give it a try because it's the only franchise he liked more than souls.
Again, didn't click with me. Too repetitive and grindy. Pretty much everything outside of combat felt like it was intentionally designed to be as tedious and time consuming as possible. Killing the same monster 10 times to get the materials for a new armour just wasn't time consuming enough, then you had to go gather bugs, and fish and minerals and other shit.

Total war Warhammer 2 because I was looking for something like Battle for Middle Earth 2. Other than revolving around big armies the games are absolutely nothing alike.

Last edited:

laynelane

Open world games (often western) arent the types of games for completionists either. You got to be a hardcore gamer to do everything.

I cleared out most Fallout 3 locations, but realized what a time sink that was as well as repetitive. So when I played Skyrim on 360 I wasnt so amped up on finding every location. I'd clear out shit and eventually beat the game on Series X (continuing my cloud game saves from my Xbox One!).

When I played Oblivion, I actually had bookmarked game sites that showed every location that was in the game thinking I would literally clear out like 200 locations. Then I realized how dumb that was and just randomly explored. Then got to a point I just said fuck it, I had enough dabbling and bee lined the main quest to beat it.

I'm no developer, but I dont think they expect gamers to do so much in open world games. They want to give gamers the freedom to do their own path and eventually beat the game. But some of the complaints come from gamers trying to every quest, so of course it'll get repetitive. It sounds pretty hard to make 200 quests all insanely different. If the average gamer was modest in their open world gaming where they dabble with some parts of the game and then beat it, it wont be so samey and like a burden. But I think a lot of open world gamers do this:

- Boot up game and create character
- Explore on your own doing as much shit as possible even if its repetitive like the 25th cave to clear out
- At some point either quit the game due to burn out and dont want to spend time beating the main quest, or they finally get to the main quest
- Final rating. Either it's a great game because I did a lot of shit. Or the game sucks because it's a smorgasbord of repetitious stuff

I dont think too many gamers buy an open world game and all they do is bee line the main quest and then quit.

I think the problem may lie in trying to create 200 quests. It's not necessary. There's also a difference in types of quests. For example, I just recently finished getting the trophy for collecting all the Daedric weapons in Skryim. I liked those quests. Some were better than others, but they were all interesting in terms of the characters (the Daedric Princes mostly), choices, locations, story, and lore. On the other end of the spectrum, I received a quest to clear out a bandit cave from a potential follower. A cave that I had literally just cleared out before arriving and meeting her. It's the busywork, fetch, filler quests that I have issue with. Sure, you don't have to do them but then why put them in at all? To give the player something to do? It's a weird approach to me and it weakens the overall experience.

On a side note, your analysis of open world gamers seems pretty spot on. I recognize myself there, for sure, particularly in steps 1 and 2.

Last edited:

Hoddi

Bioshock and Half-Life 2 are the big ones for me. I've played all the HL games and I've loved all of them excepting HL2. Same kind of goes for Bioshock where I hated the original but liked Infinite a lot more.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Fallout 4 and believe me I’ve tried 3 separate times and failed every time. The game is just graphically unappealing and very boring to play. The UI is an utter mess in both visually and function.

When someone recommend something, all i do is a deep research. I don't buy just because someone recommended.

So, i know my tastes, if match, then i try!

So OP, no frustration on recommendations. Sometimes is my mistake buy shitty games.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
GTA3.
10/10s everywhere, the most hyped I remember a game ever getting from the critics.
I tried to squeeze some fun from the game for a week. Nothing.
I’m glad I never wasted hours on that series again. It’d have been a lot of time.

Not sure why the fps was so bad. Ya the bosses were big and cool, but it should had been able to hold a smooth 30. Expecting 60 fps at that time was asking too much for all games, but it couldnt even hold 30.
Shadow of the Colossus was doing crazy stuff with physics and effects. It’s one of the most technically ambitious games on the PS2. Still, the game as a whole is nothing that deserved not one, but two rereleases.

Corndog

Banned
I think the problem may lie in trying to create 200 quests. It's not necessary. There's also a difference in types of quests. For example, I just recently finished getting the trophy for collecting all the Daedric weapons in Skryim. I liked those quests. Some were better than others, but they were all interesting in terms of the characters (the Daedric Princes mostly), choices, locations, story, and lore. On the other end of the spectrum, I received a quest to clear out a bandit cave from a potential follower. A cave that I had literally just cleared out before arriving and meeting her. It's the busywork, fetch, filler quests that I have issue with. Sure, you don't have to do them but then why put them in at all? To give the player something to do? It's a weird approach to me and it weakens the overall experience.

On a side note, your analysis of open world gamers seems pretty spot on. I recognize myself there, for sure, particularly in steps 1 and 2.
This is the biggest problem with modern rpgs. Too much filler.

Kagey K

Banned
Metal Gear. I played the NES games and Solid on PSX but everyone kept saying 2 is better.

Nope. It's terrible. Splinter Cell was a better stealth game, Syphon Filter was better action.

Topher

Gold Member
This just turned into "which popular game don't you like".

Pretty much. Looking at some of the games people are calling "trash".....

Stephen A Smith Eye Roll GIF by ESPN

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Not trash, but tlou1 bored me to death halfway through the game.

I did play the uncharted remaster on ps4. I hope this game has aged badly since its initial release, because I got really tired of ND holding my hand the whole time and the scripted events. Oh my god.

Stuart360

Stray for sure (thanks guys). Its the only game in a few years where i actually regret buying it.
We get loads of those kind of Indie games on PC yet because you play a cat it blew up for some reason. Just boring imo.
Oh and the game is barely 2 months old and you dont see it mentioned anywhere anymore, which tells you everything.

dotnotbot

Assassin's Creed 2 - annoying controls and awfuly scripted boring missions
Skyrim - dungeons looking like they were randomly generated (almost identical to each other), forgettable story and characters, janky animations
Infamous - awful story, boring and repetitive

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
TLOU2 - boring, bad paced and overall much worse than the first entry.
Days Gone - cool zombies and awesome motorbike mechanics, but the story was putting me to sleep and the mission design was meh.
Trails in the Sky - cute story and nice characters, but the pacing was slower than a snail, which was too much for me.

Batiman

Banned
Ah yes, terrible AI, bad level design, horrible writing, bad sound design (but admittedly, they may have fixed it - but on launch I had so many terrible sound ”glitches, such as shooting a guy in the throat and him screaming like I shot him in the foot, and enemies calling out while being dead), terrible gameplay with zero depth (and yes, I played on Grounded and still beat the game without dying once and ignoring most of the enemies as the aI was so easily abused, I could have mistaken it for a PS2 title), truly it was the “greatest” game - if you never played a video game before and hated yourself.

This game is about as “Great” as the last shit I took.
I’m not even that big of a fan of BB that much, but this post almost confirms you never played it

Elden Ring is overrated as hell but I loved it, take from that what you will.

Breath Of The Wild is the most overrated game of all time. That game is a hard 7/10 at best and didn't do anything that Just Cause 2 didn't do a decade ago.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Morrowind is unplayable. I can't even land hits between the massive text dumps NPCs give you.
Bro, the "my hits don't land" phrase is a meme.

All you have to do is pick a weapon which type corresponds to one of your mayor skills and make sure you have stamina when attacking. If you do that the dice rolls will be much favorable and most of your hits will land.

I think the meme got popular once all the Skyrim players went to try Morrowind expecting the same kind of game design, which they don't share.

The Alien

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn.

Story started out pretty interesting. Thought inwas going to be in a unique new adventure. What i got was a copy and paste job where whole parts of gameplay were lifted from significntly better games I've played a a decade ago.

Top Bottom