• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game was effusively recommended to you but you ended up thinking it was trash?

Sentenza

Thinking about recent times (last 2-3 years or so) Nier Automata is pretty much the game where I'm experiencing the largest disparity between "praises that reached the Heavens" and me being bored out of my mind every time I forced myself to stick with it few hours just hoping it clicked.

Another good candidate would be Horizon Zero Dawn already mentioned by The Alien The Alien . Past forum hype: "Guerrilla redefined open world action RPGs with a masterpiece".
Reality of playing it: aside for the novelty of mecha-dinosaurs it feels like the most fucking boring and derivative Assassin's Creed clone ever made.

Just to stress the strict adherence to the question asked in the title: I'm not saying these are "the worst games ever made" or "the worst games I've ever played".
I'm talking specifically about the disparity between how vehemently people recommended them and how little I enjoyed my time with them.

Lol my bad. I was wondering what the fuck you were talking about.

Anyways I kinda agree with you on tlou2. Wouldn’t say it was that bad but I did find it boring as shit compared to the first one. Both I find good but overrated

I find 1 very average, but a decent experience. 2 is the worst “game” I have ever played, and I played Ride to Hell Retribution. I fell asleep and felt nothing throughout my entire time with the second game. At least Ride to Hell made me *feel* something. Even if it was just laughing at how poorly designed it was and the incompetence of the characters.

The biggest failing of any entertainment product is being utterly and completely boring.

SeraphJan

I wouldn't consider them trash, overrated is at best

For example, I find Mario Odyssey to be not near as good as Mario Galaxy, but its still better than 80% of 3D platform out there

I'm also not a fan of Persona 5, but I could totally see its charm, especially to younger audience

I find Witcher 3 to be an extremely flawed game, but it has its upsides, and Gwent is absolutely amazing

I find Uncharted 2 to be mediocre at best, but I still enjoyed it for its presentation

I found most Telltales game are overrated af, but they do have their moments

Most game that is highly recommended by users, the worst I could think of are overrated, but never to the point of trash

For a game to be "trash", it has to hit all the wrong notes at the same time, which wouldn't make sense to be highly recommended by users in the first place, for a game to have a dedicated fanbase, that game has to have at least some appeal.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Oxenfree: listening to a bunch of banter, walking around, and playing with radio dials. Just not my type of game.

Gears 5: Lame characters, guns shooting spitballs, and absolutely nothing of substance.

flying_sq

Narrator voice: "But it wasn't".
T9fdTUc.png

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
FF8.

The combat system is broken nonsense once you understand it and the story is horrible even by JRPG standards. I genuinely don't understand the point of that game. Still felt compelled to finish it but if it wasn't for the fast-forward and random battle skip toggles on the remaster it'd be a hard drop.

Aion002

Hellblade.

I got extremely annoyed by the visual and sound effects. Also, the combat and the puzzles are terrible.

Guardians of The Galaxy.

Brain dead gameplay and boring story.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.

I just hated... The combat felt "floaty".

Last edited:

flying_sq

Game journos surely love to write a lot of stupid shit.
And don't get me wrong: I WISH it was more Souls-like in any way than the most shallow first impression.
Well I did the first mission on the first planet, where you have to recover some artifact or something. Did that, and had a side quest to check somewhere else out. I got bumrushed by some bugs around a blind corner that knocked me off a small ledge. Went back, knowing the bugs were there. Baited them around the corner for it to be like 5 of them and died in two hits. Figured okay, follow the block rules, etc. Tried it two more times just to get surrounded and knocked off a ledge one more time. Quit the game and uninstalled it. If you are trolling the players that early in the game, I don't care to play the rest of it.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

697097-mortal-kombat-11-ultimate-xbox-one-front-cover.jpg

Never played a fighting game before except Smash and was told that this is good for beginners.

All I can say is that fighting games suck on modern controllers! Why can't you use a regular analog stick to play? Smash had that figured out in the 90s!!

I agree with OP, I went in mostly blind to play Gone Home, because it was marketed as a scary game. The game starts off like that, but then it pulls a 180° on you. One of my biggest wastes of time, and the only game I regret playing.

Hades. The game seems to have been universally praised so I went in with pretty high expectations and totally bounced off it. I didn't like the art style, the music, the smug main character....and then spending an hour + only to die and have to do it again... fuck that. I guess roguelites aren't for me

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hellblade.

I got extremely annoyed by the visual and sound effects. Also, the combat and the puzzles are terrible.
Oh ya. Forgot about that crap game.

Nothing like booting up a game and the first hour is almost all unskippable cut scenes with a bipolar psychopath mumbling to herself.

Im pretty sure the first hour was cut scenes, your character walking through some caves shining a red light to open doors and one fight against raggy warriors. Thats it.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Horizon Zero Dawn. I forced my way through all the way to the end and hated every second. Pure boredom. It sucks too. I really want to like it. I've been following the main voice actress since I hit puberty. She used to have a comedy web series called HAWP. She's legit fucking hilarious

AmuroChan

RDR 2 - the game was just too slow moving for me. It felt like a chore playing the game.

BOTW - I enjoyed many aspects of the game, but it was recommended to me by multiple people as this generational, transcending game. To me, it was a very good 8/10 game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Horizon Zero Dawn. I forced my way through all the way to the end and hated every second. Pure boredom. It sucks too. I really want to like it. I've been following the main voice actress since I hit puberty. She used to have a comedy web series called HAWP. She's legit fucking hilarious
Every open world game is the exact same.

Trailers show a big plot of land where your character is kicking ass killing and pillaging monsters which all seem to be 10 ft away from you.

In reality, most of the game is jogging around looking for shit to do, plowing through dialogue screens with NPCs, and going through your inventory/skill trees trying to get through the game as efficiently as possible.

The battle scenes are literally about 3% of game time, but in trailers it's like 90%.

Arachnid

Every open world game is the exact same.

Trailers show a big plot of land where your character is kicking ass killing and pillaging monsters which all seem to be 10 ft away from you.

In reality, most of the game is jogging around looking for shit to do, plowing through dialogue screens with NPCs, and going through your inventory/skill trees trying to get through the game as efficiently as possible.

The battle scenes are literally about 3% of game time, but in trailers it's like 90%.
Yeah, I avoid most open world games these days because of this (unless the dialogue and story are actually good). Too burned out. Thank fuck for Elden Ring being the opposite (90% combat and good exploration everywhere you go with 5% dialogue).

Pantz

World of Warcraft. Never liked the art style but gave it a shot anyway after being asked to. Nothing about the game or the world was interesting either.
EverQuest better.

God of War 2017. "The story is amazing" Story is bland, boring and almost a repulsive and dated father son story. Stopped playing as soon as the son found out he was a god and did a heal turn that would be laughed at in pro wrestling story telling...

The Last of Us Part II. Utter trash heap of a “game” that was poorly written, shallow as hell, terrible level design, and whose only saving grace was high quality animations - but that doesn’t save a game.
i've been a huge sony fan since the ps/ps2. i'm a big uncharted (original trilogy) & tlou fan, &, tho i wasn't particularly crazy about it, i admired/respected the original god of war trilogy. but, come last gen? either i've changed, or sony's changed, but the heavy-duty combo quoted above did absolutely nothing for me. completed tlou2, & disliked it immensely, & couldn't get more than a few hours into gow (hated the perspective). it may very well just be me, but there's this overly blatant attempt at emotional manipulation going on in both games that i feel is being promoted as 'mature story-telling', & it just kinda repulses me...

Last edited:
i've been a huge sony fan since the ps/ps2. i'm a big uncharted (original trilogy) & tlou fan, &, tho i wasn't particularly crazy about it, i admired/respected the original god of war trilogy. but, come last gen? either i've changed, or sony's changed, but the heavy-duty combo quoted above did absolutely nothing for me. completed tlou2, & disliked it immensely, & couldn't get more than a few hours into gow (hated the perspective). it may very well just be me, but there's this overly blatant attempt at emotional manipulation going on in both games that i feel is being promoted as 'mature story-telling', & it just kinda repulses me...

I wanted to love GoW as I ADORED the previous games. I did enjoy it, but it was in spite of the changes, not because of them. The story and the way it was told was good. The gameplay felt great - but it had major issues with lack of enemy variety, god awful boss fights, and slow, painful walking sections that just slowed down the entire game.

I did like the slower, more deliberate combat. I liked the build up towards the Chaos Blades, I did enjoy the Valkyrie fights. I just hope they go more into the previous games And make the combat more visceral, faster, and with more variety.

Also god help me if they kill off Kratos, I am done with the franchise entirely.

As for “Mature” storytelling, to me when someone says that it just comes across as that they are ashamed of hte past and need to cry/bitch/moan/dismiss those previous games as being lesser. Only mentally ill dumbasses and children do that.

Last edited:
Dragon Quest 11. I don't like 9 either but this was the one I forced myself to finish so I could claim definitively that Dragon Quest sucks. Basic battle system, lame cast, story and world is extremely generic... I don't see a single thing to like about this game besides the fact that no individual element is too aggressively bad. It's baby's first JRPG I guess it's just a shame they made eleven of them lol

(After playing DQ11 I played Valkyria Chronicles 4 though which owns. I like it when I follow up a bad game with a good one.)

Also this isn't really a game but Umineko is beloved by VN fans in general but it's unreadable drivel past the first couple of chapters.

Xenoblade and 13 Sentinels. While not trash per se, I just can't stand the adolescent anime aesthetic/sensibility and I don't understand why grown adults are so enamored of it

Graciaus

Xenoblade. Awful combat + the worst designed side quest system I've ever seen. Tried X later still awful. Wrote the whole series off.

God of War 2017. "The story is amazing" Story is bland, boring and almost a repulsive and dated father son story. Stopped playing as soon as the son found out he was a god and did a heal turn that would be laughed at in pro wrestling story telling...

Agreed. I did finish it though and the production values are great!
But I found the son to be annoying and the story didn't work for me. So they set on this journey to the top of the mountain that takes them about a day and a half to reach and we're expected to believe that the father and son had all this bonding and growth in such a short amount of time?

GymWolf

I...never buy under other people reccomendation before checking the game by myself tbh, and last time i trusted a videogame review, ilona staller was still a virgin.

Do you people really buy blindly before even checking some gameplay??

Top Bottom