• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game you think has the best chance of beating out Elden Ring for GOTY?

For my game of the year there are four contenders.

Starfield, Breath of the Wild 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and Forza Motorsport.

As for MC and OC scores I'd wager the only one that has a real chance is Zelda.

Elden Ring released like a storm and won over the mind share by perfecting both the souls formula and open world formula all in one go...with that being said what game you think has the best chance of possibly beating it when all is said and done.

Horizon and Elden Ring are the two GOTY quality games to release this year, and of course elden ring is the favorite of those two. Still to release is GOW, Starfield, BOTW2 (huge maybe for 2022), and maybe STALKER 2. Of those I'd probably put my money on starfield, and even tho its not likely it, like elden ring is a developer with a good track record venturing into a new realm and can possibly modernize their oldschool gameplay.

Yes, this is a speculative thread, slow news day.
Anything Sony, specially if it's a "cinematic experience". In truth? No one has a chance except BOTW2 which might not launch this year.

I'm late to the party and just have to parrot everyone else's lines, the only games that look like they might stand a chance right now are God of War (I still think this isn't going to land this year), Starfield, and Breath of the Wild 2

slade

If God of War pulls out all the stops, then maybe. Sadly, I see it as being between Elden Ring and Starfield this year.

SSfox

None.

But GT7 and Ragnarok can potentially be tie with Elden Ring. Tho i wouldn't even put GT7 here since it's so different genre, still an official GOTY/GOTG masterpiece quality.

Bayonetta 3 maybe, tho so far i feel like the game don't look as exciting and good as Bayo 1 and 2, specially 1. But we'll see tho. Probably a very good game at the very least, but unlike Bayo 1 and 2that both were 2009 and 2014 GOTY, i don't see 3 to be GOTY.

BOTW2 won't beat of course but is probably gonna be awesome and huge game also.

Also LET'S NOT FORGET THAT maybe Forspoken can be GOTY actually
Nah just kidding in this last one
1466366197-risitas10.png

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Pokémon Scarlet and Violet.

WAIT! Here me out before mocking me. I'm not even a Pokémon fan. The only Pokémon games I've played are White, White 2 and Y, and that's only because my son had them on his 3DS.

Anyway, why do I think this might be GOTY potential? Well, from what I gather, unlike other Pokémon mainline games, this one is going down the open world route and that could be massive for the franchise. I know (think?) Arceus is openworld, but that seems to have been a test for the real Pokémon openworld game.

Going full openworld turned worked wonders for Breath of the Wild and for the Souls games (Elden Ring) and turned them into two of the best games ever made.

Maybe the same magic will work for Pokémon Scarlet and Violet?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
its gonna be a hell of an uphill challenge.

hopefully, GoW rag, Starfield and Botw 2 will be also one of the best games ever made and provide a challenge.

Jadsey

Starfield is a possibility, BGS have the chops to make great games

However, I predict it has a rocky technical launch that requires a few months worth of patches, and this will hold it back from GotY.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
It would be lame for a niche game that has rabid fans who can't comprehend that not all gamers, or rather most gamers don't really like the game wins GOTY. GOTY should be a game played and enjoyed thoroughly by most, not a game with the most obsessed fans. The game is also supposedly very buggy and has terrible performance on PC. Horizon is great but buggy too and requires reboots at times. Why should any game that gets released with quality issues be considered the best? I mean clearly someone on the dev team failed or the publishers said fuck the people that buy it, I want to meet my goal and move on.

GymWolf

Menage a trois between bugfield, crossgen of war and overrated of the wild 2 most probably (other than elden ring of course)

If weird west is as good as it look, i can see be the indie surprise of the year.

Last edited:
Do people actually expect botw2 to release this year? I kind of assumed it wasn’t going to make it. If it does that’s the only contender but as it’s a sequel I can’t see it blowing up in the zeitgeist like the first did. Same as I’d expect an elden ring sequel to not blow up like it has.

Laptop1991

Starfield might beat it, although i'm biased toward's Bethesda singleplayer games more than souls games, but at the minute it seems the only 1 that could beat Elden Ring imo. it depends how popular ER still is at the time as Starfield will have only just came out and hype always helps.

Akuji

God of war has a Shot. Elden ring is the rebirth of Single Player games for me. A game that fucks you and you fuck the game. Nothing is fair. It doesnt need to. Always feeling a sense of surprise. Always feeling like theres something New. So many Systems to miss and never interact but you dont need to.

Difficulty is just perfect this time around.

Its not a game to introduce people into Video games with but its a grwat game for people that love playing Video games already.

Vol5

How can anyone say Starfield when there's been no gameplay revealed, is off the back of one of the biggest disasters of recent history, Fallout 76, and Todd Howard as Director...the biggest bullshitter in the industry. They seem like good odds to you?

Dr.Morris79

How can anyone say Starfield when there's been no gameplay revealed, is off the back of one of the biggest disasters of recent history, Fallout 76, and Todd Howard as Director...the biggest bullshitter in the industry. They seem like good odds to you?
I think people are basing it off Skyrim, I would imagine.

iHaunter

I'm not shilling for Sony. I LOVE Elden Ring. Been playing it a lot and doing World Bosses online with my Cousin. But I have not played GoW. And the frame-rate issues on both Steam and PS5 (Double-dipped) make me significantly drop the rating. A lot of the World is also copy/pasted as well. Especially the mini-boss areas like caves and dungeons.

Wunray

BoTW 2 isnt releasing this year so none, but then again GoW did beat out RDR 2 so anything can happen.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Hogwarts Legacy will beat it

Never underestimate the numbers of harry potter fans

Ten thousand points for gryfindor

Watch this space

Last edited:
How can anyone say Starfield when there's been no gameplay revealed, is off the back of one of the biggest disasters of recent history, Fallout 76
Fallout 76 was made by their B-team. I guess one could say that their previous game Fallout 4 is still cause for concern, but keep in mind it had a very good metascore and a lot of people enjoy it.

Dr.Morris79

I'm not shilling for Sony. I LOVE Elden Ring. Been playing it a lot and doing World Bosses online with my Cousin. But I have not played GoW. And the frame-rate issues on both Steam and PS5 (Double-dipped) make me significantly drop the rating. A lot of the World is also copy/pasted as well. Especially the mini-boss areas like caves and dungeons.
I'll be honest too, I bought GoW but never played it, it still sits on the shelf :pie_roffles:

I'm not too far into Elden either, just beaten Margit? Marjit? Marge? The first big boss. Playing on the Series X and havent really noticed any frame drops that impede gameplay, infact I cant recall any so far

I was looking to pick up a PS5 disc copy too (I normally do with most games), but after reading around it seems the PS4 version is the one to get as the PS5 version has frame rate problems? So i've read, anyway. It seems like Playstation version is ballache regardless..

As for the GOTY, who really knows. I will say though, I doubt GoW will have a quater of Eldens scope.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Critically, absolutely zero. Elden Ring is goty sure as the sun will rise tomorrow.

For my personal tastes, as much as I like the game I think FFXVI (unless its 2023) or Modern Warfare 2022 might be a little more enjoyable.

iHaunter

I'll be honest too, I bought GoW but never played it, it still sits on the shelf :pie_roffles:

I'm not too far into Elden either, just beaten Margit? Marjit? Marge? The first big boss. Playing on the Series X and havent really noticed any frame drops that impede gameplay, infact I cant recall any so far

I was looking to pick up a PS5 disc copy too (I normally do with most games), but after reading around it seems the PS4 version is the one to get as the PS5 version has frame rate problems? So i've read, anyway. It seems like Playstation version is ballache regardless..

As for the GOTY, who really knows. I will say though, I doubt GoW will have a quater of Eldens scope.
Yeah Margit wasn't too bad. Sometimes a directed story > scope. But it's unlikely to beat a 97 MC, that's for sure.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Would have said STALKER 2, but not anymore, thanks Putin.

God of War Ragnarok is probably gonna be more my thing than Elden Ring, but I doubt it'll beat its critical reception, nor have the impact of the last GoW which was so unexpectedly different.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I think we will be lucky to see BOTW2 or God of War 2 this year and those are the only two that have a shot.

Also depends who's GOTY we're talking about. I think GAF will pick Elden Ring.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It would be nice if a non-sequel/ spinoff would be considered for GOTY. Enough is enough!

Plus other than a few titles we don't know what most games are coming out past July.

NickFire

I'm still on the too early to tell fence, but every time I play this game it gets harder to imagine that something better will actually come out this year. The need to strategize (and fun in doing so) how you approach enemies is way more fun than I ever would have believed possible.

And shout out to the random dude (I assume it was another person at least) who helped me last night when I wandered into a place where people can invade you. Someone thought they were gonna tear my lower level dude apart, but it did not end well for them. HAHAHAHAHA

MiguelItUp

Honestly, nothing.

I can't remember the last game I've loved THIS much, I'm far from stopping, and far from completing the game. I've played about 50 hours now, am level 74, and the slowdown just isn't happening. I keep thinking about it, and all I want to do is play more. It makes me feel young again and I love it so damn much, I just wish I had more time to just blow playing it, lmao.

There aren't TOO many titles I'm excited about this year, and I'm sure (I hope) they'll be amazing. But man, when it comes to content, replay value, and overall longevity. I don't think there will be another game even remotely close to this IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom