• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games do you feel people overrate too much?

Mondai

Gold Member
Reminder, this is all opinions , so no need for lame insults if you disagree with people. These are the games I feel get overrated a lot (Another Note: I do not think these games are bad, actually I think they are great, high quality games, but the amount of praise they get and calling these games "best games ever made" are things I heavily disagree with).

Breath of the Wild: Yes, its a great game ,but its not close to being the best games of all time, I don't think I would put it on my top 20 , I don't think its the best 3D Zelda game , and hell I don't think its the best game that came out that year. BOTW has some big flaws that hinder it (very little enemy variety, no real dungeons, empty feeling open world). But after saying all that , its still a great game, I think I would it as a 7.5, 8/10.

Red Dead Redemption 2: Storytelling is amazing, but the game plays horribly, I would give it an 8/10

Witcher 3: I love this game and would put it in my top 10, but yeah , combat play is really bad (Thankfully to me its the only big issues in the game), I would give it a 9/10

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Another Elden Ring thread? Hope not.

I agree with your choices OP, and add TLOU2 since for at least it felt worse and more boring (bad pacing) than the first one.

BossLackey

Gold Member
The souls games. I enjoy them, beat several, but it's still the same iterative forumla they've been doing for decades.

I'm hyper biased as they're my favorite games, and I agree they absolutely have a formula, but what they do is how I enjoy iteration on games. Dark Souls III was a real sequel. It didn't try to completely reinvent the wheel of Dark Souls, but it did use things they learned and made some of the best environments, bosses, mechanics etc in the series. I don't know if you're including Bloodborne or Sekiro in this, but I'd have to say that they were the perfect amount of "this is different, but it's still a FROM game" for me.

MrA

Banned
Overrated has to be the most overrated term ever, basically it is basically putting your opinion on a pedestal as if some how superior.
Anyone giving a serious answer in to thread. Well you're this kid
stop_liking_file.jpg

Mondai

Gold Member
Overrated has to be the most overrated term ever, basically it is basically putting your opinion on a pedestal as if some how superior.
stop_liking_file.jpg
Lol fair enough , I can see why you would think that, but the games I listed are all games I really do like a lot, I just think they are overrated :p

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Final Fantasy X. I think this game gets so much praise because it was a lot of gamers’ first JRPG/anime-style game or because it had some outstanding production value for its time.

IMO the characters are a bunch of unlikeable douchebags, the writing is awful shounen anime crap, the voice acting is melodramatic, and the motion captured animations are way exaggerated and clownish. Tidus is especially insufferable because every scene he loudly draws attention to how stupid he is so that everyone else gets to dump info on him.

The battle system also sucks. “Swap in whoever you want whenever you want, instantly” is the worst. IMO RPGs are at their best when you have to commit to a party and make it work. In this case, the only strategy from beginning to end is “swap in whichever party member can hit this enemy’s weak point”.

Plus I was constantly swapping characters just to have them take a turn and get AP. It was so tedious and boring.

Definitely my least favorite of the post-SNES mainline games.

Kuranghi

On paper and if I'm judging it critically BotW is definitely not the best game of all time, but I loved it and played it for 406 hours so I can't explain it. My answer is probably Hollow Knight, I love metroidvanias but I didnt really find the game that fun to play mechanically, I was rarely having any fun I just kept playing due to the sound design, music and animations but dropped it soon after. You die and lose map progress, I don't have time for that sort of repetition.

I haven't played Death Stranding yet and I imagine thats a bit of a marmite game, you enjoy it or you don't, on paper it sounds awful.

SSfox

Stuffs like Fortnite, Apex or PUBG for example, i downloaded those games and honestly if i wasn't into gaming since my childhood, and i got introduced to gaming with those kind of games i would probably be like "That's what gaming is? bruh it's so heh, gonna go back on watching movis and tv shows ect"

I'm hyper biased as they're my favorite games, and I agree they absolutely have a formula, but what they do is how I enjoy iteration on games. Dark Souls III was a real sequel. It didn't try to completely reinvent the wheel of Dark Souls, but it did use things they learned and made some of the best environments, bosses, mechanics etc in the series. I don't know if you're including Bloodborne or Sekiro in this, but I'd have to say that they were the perfect amount of "this is different, but it's still a FROM game" for me.
I would include them, or at least Bloodborne. Imo, it's every bit a souls-ass souls game. That's not meant as an insult, but it has that instant feeling of a souls game which I think is what people love about them, and yet it's most disappointing to me for not going far enough in a wild new direction. Sekiro might be the biggest push away from that formula but I can't say as I haven't played it yet.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Naughty Dog games.

I mean, clearly they have fantastic production values and animation, etc but I cannot be bothered to touch TLOU2 or any Uncharted game after the 3rd one, I couldn't even finish that one. Nor could I finish TLOU. Got a few hours in and was like, "Nope, I have no interest to keep at this game..."

I am beyond done with the melodrama and the forced walking, the overly cinematic camera angles, etc, etc. I get that people like it, but I cannot be bothered with anything that studio puts out. The E3 presentation with the lights going out and the dude playing the guitar....

simon cowell facepalm GIF

Honestly, this applies to the majority of Sony first-party releases. Nothing about them appeal to me in the slightest. Not saying they're bad games but they're the polar opposite of what I want to play. Can't even be bothered to download the PS4 Classics Collection on PS5.

Again, not saying these games are bad, just sharing my personal opinion on them. I view them as overrated because I'm insanely forgiving with titles so if something just doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, well of course it's 100% the games fault and has nothing to do with me. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
stop_liking_file.jpg
We're enthusiasts and huge nerds. I can't talk about this shit outside of Gaf. My wife and friends would think I'm insane, lol.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I would include them, or at least Bloodborne. Imo, it's every bit a souls-ass souls game. That's not meant as an insult, but it has that instant feeling of a souls game which I think is what people love about them, and yet it's most disappointing to me for not going far enough in a wild new direction. Sekiro might be the biggest push away from that formula but I can't say as I haven't played it yet.

Yeah, they're definitely still "Souls" games for me too. And although I gave reasons why for me personally I don't at all mind the games being very close cousins, I'm actually surprised more people don't knock FROM's games in the same way. Because they really are more similar than probably most sequels are.

I absolutely adored Elden Ring, but I really want them to doing something radically different next and I think they actually might. They've taken the Souls formula as far as it can go. Though the massive success of Elden Ring might unfortunately put pressure on FROM to duplicate that success by making a more straightforward sequel. I really don't want one.

I was going to list out a few games with 'great-feeling gameplay', as we're far from the days of old Nintendo, Playstation, and Sega system games being a coin toss as to whether or not they would control great or control like someone never picked up a controller. However, even to this day, every few years a game comes out from a big publisher like Square Enix, Namco, or EA that makes you wonder what the hell happened.

Aside from this small anecdote, I'll just say that the Kingdom Hearts series is what I consider overrated. They're just okay games with okay combat and okay plot. 1, 2, Chain of Memories, and Birth By Sleep had their fun moments, but every game aside from those three feels mediocre at best. If quirky B-games and C-games still existed, Kingdom Hearts would be right at home amongst those games. If it weren't for the Disney aspect, I would be thinking back about the KH series the same way I think back about Tak, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Vexx, or Voodoo Vince on original Xbox.

Fbh

Most things by Rockstar. Yeah the world is very detailed, the writing is usually solid and they tend to be a technical showcase on their respective hardware. But I just find them really boring to play. The controls are usually bad, the shooting feels bad, the mission design is often bad or very basic, etc.

Persona 5: I liked it but never understood where that 93 metascore and "best JRPG ever" label came from. Really bad pacing, repetitive dialog, increasingly bland dungeons and a fun but not particularly memorable anime plot. The actual combat is fun but it's basically SMT lite. It's an above average JRPG with really nice music and visual style...but that's about it.

BoTW: I mean I really like the game and think it does some things exceptionally well, but it's far from flawless. No actual dungeons, annoying durability system and bland gear system in general, bad sidequests, bad bosses, really low enemy variety.

TLOU2: It's too long, the environments are too samey, I hated the Owen and friends subplot and like half of the gameplay is walking through abandoned buildings opening mostly empty drawers to scavenge for supplies.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Actually, apologies. Third post in a row.

Bloodborne.

Stop it. STOP IT. The game runs like ass. There is no way that anyone can prefer it’s janky 27fps frame paced stuttering to any From game running at 60fps.

It’s worse than Elden Ring, Sekiro, DS 1 and 3. It gets smoke blown up its ass because it’s an exclusive.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Good, I already dumped you anyway. I've moved on to Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping , since he keeps me in Mountain Dew, Pizza Hut and Doritos. :pie_roffles:
He's just fattening you up, getting you empty carb dependent, that way you don't leave him.

Smart play.
Denzel Washington GIF

damn it really hurts you when people say games you like are overrated. you are freaking the fuck out!
Obama Reaction GIF

Last edited:
Top Bottom