• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games do you feel people overrate too much?

Chronicle

Botw, Mario Odyssey
Fuckin amen, brother!

As I said a few weeks ago in a thread, I bought my daughter a Switch for Christmas and super mario odyssey is a mediocre game at best. It has a sparse world and gameplay is terrible. Gee throw your hat and jump. The controls are horrible too. Mario runs on the spot for a second or two, spinning on wheels and the gets going. It's masochistic for crying out loud. Fuckin HORRIBLE! It made me realize things a out nintendo fanboys.

1. They're fucking nerds. And nerds need to be given noogies and wedgies.
2. They're nerds. And nerds opinions are never taken seriously. That's why they made the internet. So they can push their nerd agendas and remain anonymous. Look at what they've done to the world. They have us completely polarized and arguing about which computer console is better and EVERY fuckin movie now is a comic book movie!! Rant over.... for now.

I'll eventually get botw for my girls too but after Mario I know I'll be disappointed.

Nintendo booooooo!!

SpiceRacz

Fuckin amen, brother!

As I said a few weeks ago in a thread, I bought my daughter a Switch for Christmas and super mario odyssey is a mediocre game at best. It has a sparse world and gameplay is terrible. Gee throw your hat and jump. The controls are horrible too. Mario runs on the spot for a second or two, spinning on wheels and the gets going. It's masochistic for crying out loud. Fuckin HORRIBLE! It made me realize things a out nintendo fanboys.

2. They're nerds. And nerds opinions are never taken seriously. That's why they made the internet. So they can push their nerd agendas and remain anonymous. Look at what they've done to the world. They have us completely polarized and arguing about which computer console is better and EVERY fuckin movie now is a comic book movie!! Rant over.... for now.

I'll eventually get botw for my girls too but after Mario I know I'll be disappointed.

Nintendo booooooo!!

798727eee857c62e9dcd42f9c1f5dd72.jpg

Amiga

Nintendo games in general. They do good work but BOTW was the only ground breaking game they had in their platforms in over 10 years.

Hinedorf

Banned
TLOU 1 and 2. I know it's not really a zombie game but it FEELS like a zombie game in which I've tried multiple times to progress past the first couple hours. If the experience isn't fun, I don't keep going. Maybe there's this really great story tucked behind really boring gameplay but I will never find out.

20cent

Banned
I find most first party games overrated in an attempt to celebrate something among owners of the same console as a community

Spiderman
Halo
Killzone
Gears Of War
God of War
Smash Bros
Animal Crossing
Ratchet & Clank

...just off the top of my head

OK games at best.
They share something in common though, horrible art direction.

Brofist

Actually, apologies. Third post in a row.

Bloodborne.

Stop it. STOP IT. The game runs like ass. There is no way that anyone can prefer it’s janky 27fps frame paced stuttering to any From game running at 60fps.

It’s worse than Elden Ring, Sekiro, DS 1 and 3. It gets smoke blown up its ass because it’s an exclusive.
As a PC gamer that finds all the recent console fanboys now finally valuing frame rate in games highly after accepting sub 30fps garbage for years I will say that game gets a pass. It really needs an updated rerelease though.

Aion002

Starcraft.

Total Annihilation, Age of Empires, Stronghold and Myth are way better.

Also, Civilization 6.... it is a downgrade compared to 5.

Last edited:
I feel like games can't be overrated because they tend to have their moment in the spotlight, and then fade away into obscurity as newer games take that spotlight. Take Nier Automata. Game was pretty talked about for a while, then vanished away.

SeraphJan

I hate to say this, but for me its definitely Witcher 3

It felt decent at best when it came out in 2015, but now? Tried to adjust to Witcher 3's combat in 2022.

The reason the combat doesn't work is that, you either have a lock-on auto flow combat system like AC, Ghost of Tsushima, Batman Arkham or you have a hitbox based combat system like Souls game or other major action games such as DMC, Ninja Gaiden. But somehow Witcher 3 trying to mix them both, on one side the attack auto tracks, but at the same time its hitbox based meaning it could be missed base on its hitbox, but since you have little control over the attack direction, this makes every attack landing or not feels like lottery, this is the main reason for its impression of "floaty combat". Adding its incredible input latency, has to be one of the worst combat system ever.

And the movement is also terrible, both on foot and horse, I swear the input latency is at least 200ms, try to play any game with responsive controls, and go back to Witcher 3 its like you are playing a online game with a bad connection. Not to mention it doesn't even bother to implement an internal dead-zone setting, the character move forward in large step by just softly touching the analog stick, and the entire game felt like walking on ice with the sensation of slipperiness when every time you try to halt the character movement it still walk few step afterwards, good lord they didn't include a horse crashing mechanic like they did in RDR2 (which works fine with RDR2's control), with movement this bad it could break the game.

People that argue its an RPG, so combat should be forgiven, but look at its character progression system which is the core of RPG, basically every ability you've learned are meaningless passive skill that adds bonus, there are nothing that adds to the table of the already dull combat, from start to finish you basically use the same set of ability with no sense of progression.

The potion system is needlessly frustrating, I know they try to make it realistic, but doing chores over and over is not fun.

The main Story is also pretty boring, 50 hours just to find one person, pseudo-medieval language does not justify its boring plotline, try to convert the language they use into modern language and you'll understand what I mean, and emotionless acting from most of the cast with poker face is not helping either. Good writing does not only mean the writer had the ability to play with language, it also need a good plotline and good acting, a good story is a story that is still good even without saying much words, Show don't Tell is a golden rule still applied to this day.

The most praised element has the be the side quest people are hyped about, but how are these quest more than a glorified fetch quest? You mean following foot print and gather evidence that doesn't involve player agency(you don't solve anything, the main character come to his own conclusive) some how make the side quest fun?

But but but, what about the Love sim? No, every women Geralt meets just automatically all over him like he is the most attractive human being in the world, with minimal character development and romantic escalations felt unrealistic, but it sure does satisfy this dominant male fantasy. Persona 5 which also offers love sim does this way better, for example Sadayo Kawakami start from despising the protagonist but ending with loving him through player decision have much more player agency and better character development.

This game is the typical example of people blindly follows metacritic score, I'm not saying that metacritic is mostly wrong, but after playing most of highly received open world hits such as Skyrim, RDR2, BotW, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, AC, Fallout, GTA, Batman Arkham, and recently Elden Ring, Witcher 3 has to be one of those game that I felt trickery and betrayal the most by the reviewers.

Skyrim for a 2011 game, I've been having a better time adjusting to its combat than Witcher 3, it offer much better exploration, player agency and character progression, and its a RPG too!

I know I sound extremely harsh to the game, but there is no better way of putting it, I just can't lie to myself anymore, everything I've stated I said it with sincerity and honesty.

For those of you that love Witcher 3 and felt offended, I'm sorry, just ignore my statement, there is no way you are going to convince me this game is good.

Last edited:

Bakkus

Overrated has to be the most overrated term ever, basically it is basically putting your opinion on a pedestal as if some how superior.
That completely depends on your arguments. If you make solid arguments then we can have a fruitful discussion with people who disagree. Anyone just posting games are just spamming.

Fuckin amen, brother!

Nintendo booooooo!!
Must be hard raising a young kid at 50.

:messenger_beaming:

Knightime_X

Any game that takes a long time to beat normally.
Games that try to extend game time for the sake of length is really grating to me.
This is ESPECIALLY TRUE if the pacing is slow or just trying to win Jello pacing of the year award.

Elden Ring.. While I DO like it, I can't play for long periods, mostly because it makes me sleepy.
It drags along.
I loved Bloodborne's pacing so much more.

s-bojan

Banned
Looing at the top 100 games on Metacritic:

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2/3 (never liked the series)
Grand Theft Auto V (did not like it on release, playing it again now)
Half-Life 2 (played it before Alyx came out again)
God of War (it was a solid game, but nothing more)
Batman: Arkham City (not a fan of Batman, the game was mediocre)

Last edited:

tvdaXD

From Software games, especially with the huge Elden Ring hype and stuff.
Don't get me wrong, I like the game and I enjoy their games... But the quality of the PC port(s) suck ass. The game also looks like a early PS4 release, they should follow CD Project Red and switch to Unreal.

I liked Botw a lot. Maaaaayyybe I'd call it the game of the year for that year ... Maybee. But the way its brought up here every single week as if its some revolutionary title..... No.... Just no.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Get your pitchforks ready.

Morrowind. Sorry, it's not aged well at all, and I say that having replayed some of it after the old Fallout games. Morrowind is clunky as hell, the quests are dull, the world is drab. Opening a notebook to read "go down the street and take a left" does not make you a super gaming genius. For all its jank, Oblivion is a better game.

Chastten

Banned
Most of them? Even if I absolutely love a game, no game is even close to perfect, and I can easily see why people have issues with certain (design) decisions. Breath of the Wild is to me one of the best games ever, but at the same time it's nowhere near perfect and I can easily see why people think it's not that great.

From the top of my head a few that came to mind:

Super Mario Odyssey: it's a good game and all, I just don't think it's anywhere near as great as people make it out to be.

Pretty much anything from From: the games are good, I can see why people enjoy playing them even if they aren't my cup of tea. But the way the fans talk about it... Man, talk about overrated.

The Witcher: Expected one of the best games ever, got a fairly standard game with a good story but slowass, clunky combat. Again, it's a good game, just nowhere near as good as people make it out to be.

Honestly, the list goes on and on. It's why I usually try and go in blind as much as possible. As soon as people start claiming something is the best thing ever, it can only lead to dissapointment.

T0minator

Every single Sony exclusive since the PS3 era, especially Naughty Dog games. Mechanically shallow moviegames with supposedly deep writing for midwits. And every single Souls game of course.

What's your favorite game? Or kinds of games, just curious.

Last edited:

GymWolf

RDR2 is under rated.
Most people played RDR2 wrong. The game is meant to be played in first person imo.
I loved seeing arthur animations...

There is no wrong way to play it, some people just can't handle a more slow, realistic experience.

Bramble

RDR2
Deathloop
Halo Infinite
Forza Horizon 5
Death's Door
Diablo 2 Resurrected
Death Stranding
Elden Ring
MGS5

Underrated:
Horizon Forbidden West
Returnal (this one especially, what an absolute masterpiece)
Until Dawn
Sifu

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Just to throw my two big ones, as many have mentioned Ubisoft of the Wild, thing gets praised for far too many things that Ubisoft gets rightfully ragged on for.

Halo Infinite GAF's GOTY (what a poor year 2021 was), it was OK, like a solid 8/10 for the singleplayer, again its just an Ubisoft game with a Halo skin but apparently its a return to form?!. But as a package attaching it to the "free" multiplayer it comes out as a 7/10... that online experience actively hurts the game. Wannabe esports attempt.

BONUS: I don't think this one is as "overrated" within the community because iv seen far more people being critical of the things for this title the two above games suffer from but get a free pass on. Horizon Forbidden West... do we see a pattern in all these games? My its almost like there all Ubisoft games, with Ubisoft mechanics, time to climb a tower, FOB, Tallneck to activate a map of the area so all the copy & paste points of intrest can be revealed.

Can't wait to clear the Camp/stronghold/outpost for the 20th time this day before going to the near by Puzzle Dungeon/Locker/ruins for the collectable...

There are hundreds of diffrent types of games people can create, so why are all of these Ubisoft games? There all just filler...

Last edited:

Aldric

What's your favorite game? Or kinds of games, just curious.
I like plenty of different genres, from visual novels/adventure games to beat em ups, rail shooters, arcade racers, fighting games etc. My favorite genre is Metroidvania, favorite game of all time probably Metroid Prime.

Last edited:

mxbison

Red Dead Redemption 2

"Most immersive world ever."

Take cover behind the wrong hay stack -> Mission failed....seriously?

"Character controls are realistic"

Dude if you have that much weight and momentum while walking and turning you really need to see a physical therapist.

Last edited:
Top Bottom