• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games do you feel people overrate too much?

spons

Gold Member
The Uncharted games, starting with the entire premise of the series. Absurd, meaningless violence to get treasure. Slaughtering hundreds of people to get some vague thing that may or may not exist. So it's mostly based around shooting action, which I always thought feels off in these games. It's extremely simplistic and random. At least in Gears of War there's the cover-based mechanics, in Uncharted it's... nothing. You point a gun and hope your aim is good enough, which is the 3D version of whatever the fuck we had 30 years ago. The entire series is vastly overrated.

Topher

Gold Member
The Uncharted games, starting with the entire premise of the series. Absurd, meaningless violence to get treasure. Slaughtering hundreds of people to get some vague thing that may or may not exist. So it's mostly based around shooting action, which I always thought feels off in these games. It's extremely simplistic and random. At least in Gears of War there's the cover-based mechanics, in Uncharted it's... nothing. You point a gun and hope your aim is good enough, which is the 3D version of whatever the fuck we had 30 years ago. The entire series is vastly overrated.

So "slaughtering hundreds of people" is ok as long as there are "cover-based mechanics"?

BTW.....Uncharted has cover-based mechanics.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Red Dead Redemption, we've been there and done that with the westerns, (Call of Juarez etc...) how about showing things from a native American perspective for a change..

tassletine

Witcher 3.

Game is very good but not great. Characters and plot were good but I'd seen similar things done with Mass Effect so it didn't feel special.
People always go on about how well written it was, usually citing the Baron's story. THAT story was superb, but a lot of the writing was forgettable fluff and I seriously can't remember anything else apart from the female characters.

Skyrim definitely. That game just made me feel like I was wandering around a supermarket, late at night.

Call of Duty / Battlefield!

The campaigns, which were the only reason I used to buy the games (I stopped buying both years ago), are so linear and scripted that they both might as well have been light gun games because that is how they felt to play. Enemies pop up, you clear them out, you move on a bit, sometimes you got a nice cutscene, rinse and repeat. Never liked the online multiplayer either, running around the same bunch of maps shooting people over and over and over again, rinse and repeat, just isn't my idea of fun at all. I'd rather pluck hairs off my chest one at a time then play those! Zzzzzzzzzzz!

I always wondered why those games were so popular, especially online. Never understood them at all. I guess the little kiddies love 'em because they aren't old enough to own real guns and they don't get arrested when they kill people in games...? :messenger_smirking:

Dr.Morris79

Half Life 2. Walk through one dead corridor after another. Wow, we can put concrete block on a seesaw, WOW, we must knacker the whole of the physical PC market and 2nd hand PC game market because of it!

*Slow clap* Hats off folks. You won.

Gears of War 1, Xbox 360. Lunge from one wall to another in an utterly boring brown enviroment with iffy controls. DiS dA bEsT

The Last of us 2. How to take an excellent story and turn it to utter woke shit.

Crysis. Years upon years of 'can my pc run Crysis and holding it up as some bastion of gaming. Who gives a fuck, it was utter shite.

Not games per se, but...

SONY MIGHT BUY KONAMI, OMG. Gimmie a fucking break, what even is this? Konami are dog shit now and the talents gone. If you're under some weird delusion Sony buying it will make all them old I.P's as good as they were, you're mental :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Shifty

Agree on Breath of the Wild - it's a competent game, but seems to be buoyed on an ocean of kool-aid. No other Zelda has given me shitty open world burn-out and frankly I preferred it that way.

ByWatterson

Hades.

It's fun, but man, the only thing special about it is the amount of contextual dialogue. That part is admittedly very impressive, but having to beat a game ten times, with the same four small levels over and over got tired quickly. I loved and platinum'd Returnal, but the combat in Returnal is top tier, the world design is incredible, the worlds themselves are much bigger, and the bosses are all-timers - not to mention the story much more intriguing.

I dunno. Hades is....fine. It's good. But I don't understand its status as the consensus non-TLOU2 pick for GOTY.

Bakkus

The reason people here think Mario Odyssey is overrated is probably because they didn't learn the cap throw extra jump mechanic. The game becomes soooo good once you learn that.

Notabueno

Banned
I would sarcastically play the thread and say Kirby Forgotten Land but...this is a mediocre thread (content).

Some games I don't like so much, but all of the games mentioned are good to great, and most people commenting are mediocre.

Last edited:
Re post because its straight faxs:

Elden ring is one of the most overrated games that has come out in the past 10 years i dont care about reviews and scores but there is a list of the best 100 games or 10 out 10 games that have come out the past 10 years this game is way way to high. There are multiple core issues with this game performance is one of them 3/4

patches in and its still terrible on the majority of platforms wont get fixed because from rarely patches games for performance. Core gameplay design is constantly at odds with each other Souls games "Dark souls series" has clunky combat always has since demon souls Demon souls was based on 1v1 fights because the combat was

slow we are in 2022 and we still have the same slow combat accept now lets have bosses from our faster game sekiro in Dark souls doesn't work. Your character moves at the pace of a snail you getting stun locked and falling down just to take 5+ seconds for your moron character to get up is the dumbest thing ever.

Platforming still sucks took what 5/7 years to get a jump button why our character doesnt just grab ledges makes no sense Doom and Cyberpunk arent even platforms but you jumping from one area to the next is rocking tier science level compared to Elden ring.

Parrying sucks enemies in this game can guilty gear roman cancel you into a 100% grab or dodge attack like its bayonetta you have half of 1 frame to parry most moves why and even then there are some enemies that you can parry and they will recover in 2 seconds. You 1 frame linking combos in SF4 or KOF is a million times easier then figuring out the garbage parrying system that from has in elden ring.

Every enemy in this game breaks the games rules constantly but your stuck with lack luster move sets and a slow character with terrible I frames and a lack luster roll with fall damage. This game should have 0 close to 0 fall damage you can jump from a cliff and die but because you hit this tinny peace of rock the damage is negated how about no damage at all like sekiro,nier,tales ect. One of the things people complain about when it comes to open world games is empty space there are so many empty areas in this game it isnt funny after you beat rahdan the whole area

is just a empty waste land with nothing in it no treasure, quest, secret boss fight, nothing just a huge empty area. Loot makes no sense and is thrown haphazardly everywhere some of the cures you need arent even in there right spots. People complain about grinding in jrpgs but the grinding here is 100% worst there are a full list of enemies like the bears that arent even worth your time of day fighting because the rune drops are pathetically low bosses fall in this same category there are sub bosses that will drop 2000k runes which is nothing once you reach lvl 20.

NPC quest lines are very boring and to obtrusive worst then way sort of generic MMO out korea most of the NPC arent even were they say there going to be nothing is worst then having to use google or some guide because the side content is so obscure that you would have to comb multiple areas again and again to find certain people.

This post on reddit is probably the best compilation of all of elden rings problems .

TLOU2. Loved the first one, but the second one is the "How I Met Your Mother" of video games, where the whole game is made of stupid flashbacks that turned me of.

Serena!

Neo Member
Team Fortress 2. It used to be good years ago, nowadays it's a shadow of its former self due to MYM update + its long-term effects, complete negligence from developers and bots.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Half Life 2. Walk through one dead corridor after another. Wow, we can put concrete block on a seesaw, WOW, we must knacker the whole of the physical PC market and 2nd hand PC game market because of it!

*Slow clap* Hats off folks. You won.

Gears of War 1, Xbox 360. Lunge from one wall to another in an utterly boring brown enviroment with iffy controls. DiS dA bEsT

The Last of us 2. How to take an excellent story and turn it to utter woke shit.

Crysis. Years upon years of 'can my pc run Crysis and holding it up as some bastion of gaming. Who gives a fuck, it was utter shite.

Not games per se, but...

SONY MIGHT BUY KONAMI, OMG. Gimmie a fucking break, what even is this? Konami are dog shit now and the talents gone. If you're under some weird delusion Sony buying it will make all them old I.P's as good as they were, you're mental :messenger_tears_of_joy:
They could do it for the IPs and build a strong team around Konami. Imagine a Metal Gear Solid remake co-developed with Bluepoint Games 🤯

bender

What time is it?
RDR2 is a piece of art.
It was a huge slog for me at times but even I can't bring myself not to acknowledge just what huge accomplishment it is.

I fucking love westerns. I really liked Arthur as a character and while I think RDR2 is easily R*'s best narrative work, they story they wanted to tell kind of fell too far from how I was playing Arthur and who I thought he was. It has some great moments though. I loved the stranger missions with the one legged outdoorsman.

I kind of agree. The main enemy in Uncharted should have been the level design and puzzles, not the waves of enemies, tanks, and helicopters thrown at you.

On a side note, how in the world did you finish the Uncharted series without using their cover mechanics? That's actually impossible in the first game's final section.

watdaeff4

In general - cinematic heavy games with high production values but mediocre gameplay. I would say I do it as well as I rather enjoy Naughty Dog games.

Some specific games:
RDR2 (this goes in line with my first comment though)
GTAV
God of War - it's a really good game, but not GOAT tier
Skyrim - ocean-wide but puddle deep
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Journey - neat twist but gameplay is zzzzz
Gears of War Trilogy - another "looks pretty, plays meh" set of games

RCU005

Red Dead redemption 2
Uncharted - especially 4
MGSV
Anything by FROM Software
Final Fantasy
Nier Automatica

I can't agree with Uncharted, MGSV and Nier Automata.

Uncharted is an amazing franchise, but of course 2 is the highest peak and 3 is the lowest.

MGSV is a gameplay masterpiece. It's the standard every game should be obligated to follow. To this date, the gameplay hasn't been matched. The story sucked (mostly because it was left incomplete).

Nier Automata is an instant classic, but also more of a niche game even though it sold millions. It might not be for everyone, but it's a joy to play and the story is amazing (the messaging mostly)

FROM Software games, I imagine you mean Souls series. They are good, but people do overrate them because of its difficulty, but I agree that the gameplay is not that great. The difficulty is practically what we used to have on NES and SNES games. To me, the only thing that prevents me from playing them is the inability to pause. That's just BS!

Final Fantasy depends on the game. Some are great some are bad, but it's also ver divisive. I for one, consider XIII great, but many people don't. So that's up to each person.

Rickyiez

ITT hate popular games

But yeah , GOW 2018 is seriously overrated . Graphics is nice for sure but exploration and combat are seriously boring ass .

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's easier to write underrated games...pretty much everything is overhyped on the internet.

Anything by fucking Nintendo

Last edited:

Silvawuff

I could list a few others under the company that break their usual formula, but I mean you have to acknowledge a certain classic:

video games tech GIF
Aah I completely forgot about that...and the sequel. I heard it was doing some weird outsourcing of assets for it.

Lognor

Banned
I bet it does!

GTAs
Forzas
GTs
Horizons
Red Dead 2
Mario Odyssey (and all the wii Marios.)
Fallouts
CODs
Dishonoreds
Deathloop
Pokemons
Assassin Creeds
(Modern) Mortal Kombats
Definitely agree with many of these! Mortal Kombat especially. When I was younger it definitely lived up to the hype. Going to the arcade and discovering fatalities and shit. Good times! But now it is played out. I don't understand how it continues to sell so well! But back in the 90s, no way was it overrated!

Top Bottom