• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games do you wish you enjoyed? But sadly don't

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I’m with you. I run away from semi/open-world like the plague but that’s a good game that I’m close to getting the platinum. 90% now. :D
I already have a platinum there, it's like a Second Son, one of my favorite game from last gen : )

eNT1TY

RDR 2, Control, Returnal, Halo: Infinite. They all have polish but to me were either boring or required more dedication and/or effort than i was willing to give during my stints.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Dagon Ball Z: KAKAROT
Horizon Zero Dawn
Deathloop
Sackboy
Most fromSoft games
Tony Hawk pro skater
Persona 5 scramble
Uncharted 3 and 4
The last guidian
Final Fantasy 15 and type-0
NBA 2K
Resident evil games
Assassin's creed games after Enizo
The Last of Us
Ratchet and Clank 2016
Gran Turismo Sport
Most Nintendo games
Code vain

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah, I would like to join the Witcher 3 disappointment club. Games could have been awesome, but the janky combat and braindead exploration killed it for me.

Story was cool, specially liked the baron segment and the witches segment, but once you arrive at Novigrad it started feeling boring for some reason. Played until Skellige and ended up dropping it there.

recursive

Breath of the Wild. As a Zelda fan, I expected a Zelda game. I didn't find one. Instead there was a dull, empty open world, with poor gameplay mechanics and meaningless enemy encounters. I still wanted to enjoy it, but I did not.
I am in agreement. Really one of the most boring games I have played. But to be fair to those who love it, I haven't really connected with a zelda game since LttP which I probably cleared over a hundred times. I accept that the newer games are not made for someone like me and that's ok.

Exede

For me it was Sekiro and I really don't understand why. I LOVE Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1-3 (yes even 2) and Bloodborne but man Sekiro doesn't work for me, the map, where to go, combat. I really want to like it but can't.

tommib

all them. that's probably just depression though. i can go weeks without playing a game. i went 2 weeks there without playing Halo and I haven't loaded up SMTV in about a month. i think they are great games from what i've played so i ain't hating on them...it can be any game I'm just using them as an example. it requires a huge effort to sit down and play them but when I manage that i can play them for hours. it's not just games but books/tv and everything else pretty much.

i'm at the point now i'm planning to finish Halo/SMTV, however long it takes, and then the only games I'll buy in 2022 will probably be Elden Ring, Hogwarts Legacy, and BOTW2 (if it comes out in 2022). It takes me months to finish a game so I might only be able to manage 2-3 games in a year. I'm done spending money on my PC and will probably pick up a Series X to replace it at some point if there are anymore games i want to play. I also have a PS2 + PS4 with games I want to play but there's no way I will get through them all. I've been thinking about selling the PS2 + PS4. There are loads of games i'd love to play but again I probably could only manage 2-3 a year so i need to be really picky what to buy.
Sounds like depression, my dude. If you ever want to go on a rant with a stranger, drop me a DM.

I’ve been there.

MacReady13

Halo. I was there from the start. I tried. I really REALLY tried but it bored me to death. I have tried with ALL subsequent games hoping 1 of them would pull me in but nope. They just don't do anything for me.

Markio128

Recently, Hades. I’ve tried to get into it a couple of times, but for some reason, I quickly lost interest. Maybe it’s because I find the gameplay loop a little tedious, along with the levels themselves.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Battle Royales

deez nutz GIF

The Yakuza games. I’d have a bevy of new games to play and enjoy if i did enjoy them.

On appear it looks like everything I’d enjoy in a game but actaully playing it feels like a chore. I’ve tried kiwakame and like a dragon

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I REALLY struggled with Biome 3 but a couple of amazing gaffers here pointed me in the right direction and it made a HUGE difference and subsequently I beat Biome3.

Go for protection over damage!
Use the high level Rot gun for damage over time.

I promise you, stick with it and it’s not as difficult as you think right now. 👍
Yup the Rotland or even better the Electropylon Driver

Zannegan

As a genre, I just can't get into RTS or turn-based strategy games, which stinks because, growing up, my brothers all played Starcraft, Age of Empires, Civilization, Rome: Total War, etc. Even now, they're all into Total Warhammer to some degree. Meanwhile, I'd rather watch paint dry.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Animal Crossing.

Chill vibe.
Good character designs.
Cute graphical style.
Nice music.
Pitched up Japanese pronunciation of English letters for every letter in a word as they speak.

But playing that shit is so fucking boring to play. I already got chores and activities in real life to do.

Last edited:

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Nintendo games in general. I like story-driven games, and Nintendo seem incapable of telling an interesting story.

So plz port/remaster/remake Eternal Darkness for Switch.

Pejo

Witcher - Couldn't do the combat in the first 2 games, never tried 3. Felt awful to play, despite me liking the setting and characters.
SRPGs - The grid based stuff like tactics is just too slow for me. I tried again recently and got my will broken down almost immediately when I tried fighting a group of chocobos in the very beginning of FF Tactics and they kept healing each other and running out of range of my characters for about 45 mins. I closed and uninstalled the game and that's the last time I'll ever try it again.
RTS - I love the idea behind it, but I watched a Korean Starcraft tournament once and couldn't even figure out what the fuck they were doing. Realized then that the genre wasn't for me.
Smash Bros as a fighting game instead of a party game - It feels like trying to control jello with most of the characters. It almost seems like the FGC is fighting against the actual game to make it a legitimate fighting game. Very meta.

Doom85

Breath of the Wild. I know some people are dismissive of those who have this issue, but the weapon durability just killed it for me. Even if it becomes less of an issue later on in the game, I just don’t have the desire to play enough to get there. And honestly the open world didn’t grab me that much. I much preferred the worlds and the cast of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess personally.

It’s not that big of an issue though. 2017 gave me Nier Automata (my GOTY), Mario Odyssey, Resident Evil 7, Horizon Zero Dawn, Tales of Berseria, Splatoon 2, Nioh, Evil Within 2, South Park: Fractured but Whole, Night in the Woods, Hollow Knight, Little Nightmares, etc. It was honestly a terrific year for gaming, so if anything I’d say those who played little aside from BOTW that year might be missing out.

Tschumi

Heaps of (slightly) recent games. My gaming habit is hanging on for dear life in many ways, I only get in to one in every 5 or so games these days i think.. rdr2 is probably the one I'm most salty about.

bender

What time is it?
Funnily enough, I restarted Red Dead Redemption 2 a few days ago. This is probably my fourth attempt at the game. The game world is beautiful and Arthur is a likeable enough character so far but the mission design just refuses to take advantage of the open world. I heard a lot of complaints about the mission where you steal an oil wagon and are directed to go and hide it somewhere off the beaten path except the game only has a singular place to complete the mission. And while that stands out, I just completed the mission were you have to find your ex's little brother. I failed it once due to a bug of my horse not running so when I retried, I had a good idea of the path to take. I got on top of the little brother almost immediately and tried to lasso him but the game refuses to let you do that as it wants to drive you towards the sequence where he crosses the train tracks right before a train cuts off your pursuit. The game wants all these Uncharted set piece moments at the expensive of letting the player use the open world to their advantage and it all feels a little pointless.

Has to be Souls games. It's not so much the difficulty, because I really enjoyed Returnal while still finding it too difficult, but that they're just so BORING.

Everything in the game is hidden behind endless layers of stats, pointless drivelling "lore" or some other kind of needless complexity or opacity. It is, undeniably, difficult and obscure just for the sake of being difficult and obscure. Who the fuck decided that that's now a good thing?
Angry Gary Oldman GIF

Marvel14

Banned
Red Dead Redemption 2...I adored the first game and wanted to love the prequel but it is soo dense with its multiple systems and the early missions were meh so I switched off completely...still have it and haven't felt like playing again.

Vagswarm

All Paradox games. I really love the idea of Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis and Stellaris but I just can’t bother enough to get into them.
Same here. Anything that's too complex or difficult with too much going on and isn't user friendly I bypass altogether. Even moreso now that I'm getting older and more impatient, lol.

Marvel14

Banned
Which story driven games are among your favorites? You should check out Majora's Mask or Mother 3.
To be fair though Nintendo doesn't do the cinematic stuff like TLOU that this person probably is referring to....Majora's Mask has an interesting story but it is definitely gameplay driven not story driven...

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Which story driven games are among your favorites? You should check out Majora's Mask or Mother 3.
Good question. But I'd probably rank Silent Hill 1-3, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Uncharted 1-3, Horizon: Zero Dawn and Witcher 3 as some of my faves.

Edit: MGS 1, 2 and 4 too.

To be fair though Nintendo doesn't do the cinematic stuff like TLOU that this person probably is referring to....Majora's Mask has an interesting story but it is definitely gameplay driven not story driven...
Actually, I didn't like TLoU at all, funnily enough. Didn't care about the story or characters, and hated the gameplay.

Last edited:
Metroid Dread
Returnal
Ever Forward
The Pathless
Sekiro
God of War 2018
Immortals Fenyx Rising
GRIS
Doom Eternal

I finished these games; but i didn't enjoy any of them...i finished them simply because i spent my money on them.
Note: changed my mind about the Pathless; its decent...the rest are still trash IMO.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
This last year no doubt its Sunset Overdrive. For years everyone hyped it up as somthing special(its not) and while I love the music, solid gameplay but it just felt like an old school/ Ubisoft open world collect a thon that bored me to death. Maybe if I played it when it was released, maybe if it was supported(Insomniac notoriously abandons PC ports) better(had to hack ultra wide support) but dropped it after a few hours.

Shai-Tan

Banned
any games like factorio. i love base building in rts but I bounce off all the games with elaborate production systems

D3SCHA1N

Funnily enough, I restarted Red Dead Redemption 2 a few days ago. This is probably my fourth attempt at the game. The game world is beautiful and Arthur is a likeable enough character so far but the mission design just refuses to take advantage of the open world. I heard a lot of complaints about the mission where you steal an oil wagon and are directed to go and hide it somewhere off the beaten path except the game only has a singular place to complete the mission. And while that stands out, I just completed the mission were you have to find your ex's little brother. I failed it once due to a bug of my horse not running so when I retried, I had a good idea of the path to take. I got on top of the little brother almost immediately and tried to lasso him but the game refuses to let you do that as it wants to drive you towards the sequence where he crosses the train tracks right before a train cuts off your pursuit. The game wants all these Uncharted set piece moments at the expensive of letting the player use the open world to their advantage and it all feels a little pointless.

While I agree that the game's missions and open world free roam moments are often at odds with one another and that the missions are far too prohibitive on player agency, the 2 missions you used to highlight these issues and the things you were prevented from doing are themselves at odds with the context of the particular mission's narrative, so it actually makes sense the design prevented from doing what you were trying to do, in both cases.

In the oil wagon mission "Pouring fourth oil", you are not directed to "go and hide it somewhere off the beaten path", you are instructed to hide it in a specific location, the location a future mission starts, you know, because you've left the oil wagon there.... And in the mission to return Jamie to Arthur's former flame Mary, you're bringing your ex-girlfriend's brother back to his family, not capturing a deranged criminal, it isn't exactly a scenario in which a lasso would be employed.

If the game were so open that these sort of expectations would be possible this frequently, it would've taken them another 5 years to make the game with multiple potential outcomes to every mission based on the insane amounts of player deviation from the intended method of completion. I mean sure, I wish story missions didn't have so many fail states, but I'm referring to being annoyed when I go too far one direction and fail for "abandoning the gang", not that I can't complete the mission in a method completely divorced from the context of the situation.

As for the thread topic: Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Souls games and survival games (or resource mining games like Subnautica).
At the same time, I have enough other game types I'm addicted to lol

Fare thee well

Neophyte
The newer Tomb Raider games. They felt like a glorified walking simulator with obvious button prompts. I didn't feel a lick of challenge or the sense of exporation outside of a very narrow track.

I finally tried the Shadow of Mordor games. The combat felt simple and constrained, and it didn't feel like I was ever in Middleearth despite the locations being designed as such.

alf717

The Mega Man Star Force series. I played through Dragon back in the day but the series never latched on to the way Battle Network or the classics did. Even though I own them all I just have no motivation to play them. Maybe one day I'll get the drive to play though them.

Top Bottom