• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games made you buy a console?

Quezacolt

Snes - super mario world
dreamcast - sonic adventure
gamecube - sonic adventure 2 battle
wii - the legend of zelda twilight princess
xbox - ninja gaiden
3ds - ocarina of time remake
wii u - xenoblade chonicles x
switch - xenoblade chronicles 2
ps4 - spider-man/bloodborne
ps5 - demon's souls remake

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
For me, this has only happened with Super Mario 64.

But, I might in the future get a Switch for Triangle Strategy and a Wii U for XCX.

Hunnybun

N64 - Mario 64
Xbox - Halo
Gamecube - Wind Waker
Wii - Mario Galaxy
Switch - Mario Odyssey

I obviously really need to stop buying Nintendo consoles that have like 3 games worth playing.

Consoles I bought just because they seemed like good investments with plenty of good software: PS1, PS2, 360, PS3, PS4, PS5.

I never bought the Xbox One cos it never seemed to stop being shit. I'll probably get a Series X at some point, although probably not for a specific game. Maybe Doom. Probably just game pass, though.

Last edited:
I usually pick up a console once there is a game big enough to justify it. When I was younger I received them as gifts so no real input.

Gameboy Color - Pokémon Red/Blue
N64 - Zelda: Ocarina of Time
GameCube - Super Smash Bros Melee
PS2 - Final Fantasy X
Xbox - Halo
PC - Counterstrike 1.6, then upgraded for Half-Life 2 and Planetside, then upgraded for Borderlands 2
Xbox 360 - Halo 3 (though I bought it at launch)
PS3 - Demons Souls
Wii - Super Smash Bros Brawl
Switch - Zelda: Breath of the Wild
PS4 - Shadow of the Colossus Remake and Nier: Automata
PS5 - (cheating) the PS+ collection

S0ULZB0URNE

Pro Wrestling: Nes
The Ninja: Sega Master System
Last Battle: Genesis
Legendary Axe: TG-16
Alien vs Predator: Atari Jaguar
Toshinden: (import PS1 before NA launch)
Halo CE: Xbox
Rogue Leader: Game Cube
Tekken TT: PS2
Titanfall/Killer Instinct: XBO
LOZ BOTW: Switch
Demon's Souls: PS5

Last edited:
A couple stand out.

Sega CD - Snatcher. Ten years after it came out. My friend was always hard up for cash and liked buying obscure game systems. He said I'll sell you my Sega CD for 50 bucks. I got him to reluctantly include Snatcher.

Xbox - Jet Set Radio Future. The day the console dropped to 199 I was all over it.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Oh god it's terribly uninteresting but basically goldeneye, zelda, smash bros, zelda, twisted metal, zelda, halo, zelda, gears of war. Also zelda.

TexMex

I think getting the original Xbox for Halo is the only time I bought one because of one specific game. There's tons of amazing launch games out there that I bought, but I would have pretty much bought those systems regardless. When Sony/Nintendo put out new hardware, I'm buying it.

Vagswarm

The only time this happened was with Grand Theft Auto III on the PS2. People were raving about it so much that I just had to see what it was about. Definitely didn't regret it and enjoyed Vice City even more. Still one of my favorite all time games.

pramod

Banned
Ps1 - Castlevania SOTN

PS4 - Wild Guns and Assault Suits Leynos Remakes

PS2 - I still have no idea why I bought one...barely played it.

Kupfer

I was very much into FPS in my teenage years and I wanted to play a shooter on the go so
zSdvvhe.jpg

Other games didn't sell me a whole system.

Bought a PS4 just for Bloodborne. I only bought one other game for it in the 7 years since. Kinda worth it, but I won't be doing that again. If From Software releases another PS exclusive I'll be sitting that one out.

Ev1L AuRoN

I don't think I ever bought a console for a single-game, but definitely I can point out games that made me choose a console over their competition.

From the consoles I had.

Snes - Street Fighter II
N64 - Mario 64
PS1 - Final Fantasy VII
PS2 - Metal Gear Solid 2
PSP - Emulation and Ridge Racer
PS3 - I bought this one before it has any game I truly want, but I started the gen with a PS3 because I was interested in the franchises that used to be exclusives like Metal Gear, Final Fantasy etc...
360 - Alan Wake
PS4 - Last of Us Remastered and because Xbox One had an awful start on the last gen
PS Vita - Uncharted.
Nintendo Switch - Mario Odyssey

Last edited:
I would've gotten these consoles eventually anyways, but these are the games that made me buy the consoles when I did

Xbox 360 - Halo 3 (was the reason I chose the 360 over the Wii to be my main console)
PS4 - Bloodborne (was going to buy one anyways, but Bloodborne was the first exclusive that I absolutely needed)
Switch - BotW (was going to buy it for Mario Odyssey but BotW made me impulse buy a Switch soon after launch)

Mr Hyde

NES - Super Mario Bros
Mega Drive - NHL 94
Playstation - Resident Evil
Saturn - Guardian Heroes
Dreamcast - Resident Evil: Code Veronica
PS2 - Silent Hill 2
GameCube - Resident Evil 4
PS3 - Uncharted 2
PS4 - Bloodborne
PS5 - Demon's Souls

Last edited:

Jada_Li

Banned
Sonic Adventure - Dreamcast
Final Fantasy VIII - PS
Final Fantasy X - PS2
The Order: 1886 - PS4
Mario Kart 8 - Wii U
Cyberpunk 2077 - PC

It's not a game but the PSVR2 - PS5 (Honestly, there are few games of interest but nothing yet that makes me want a PS5...unless The Matrix Awakens becomes more than just a tech demo or a sequel to The Order: 1886.)

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I started with an NES, but owed everything since (except an SNES, didn't want one)

• N64 - Goldeneye
  • PS1 - WWF Smackdown
  • PS2 - Metal Gear Solid 2
  • PS3 - Metal Gear Solid 4
  • 360 - WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007
  • PS4 - Nothing, habit
No interest in PS5 or Series X. Most games I want will eventually hit PC, because we belong to the Master Race now (since '14)

I was frequently playing Link to the Past on my girlfriend's SNES, but couldn't get enough, so I bought my own SNES.

Tekken made me get a Sears credit card just to buy a PlayStation, Tekken, and MK3.

I bought a PS2 pretty much just to play Dance Dance Revolution games, since they were fairly accurate to the Japanese games.

Wii Sports sold me the Wii.

Bought a PS3 just to play Demons' Souls (and Heavy Rain, I suppose).

I was already considering a PS4 for Dark Souls 3, but Doom sealed the deal. Bought my PS4 on Doom's launch day.

GeekyDad

Nintendogs totally sold me on the Nintendo DS. I'm not sure I'd even seen the system before that. Was in Wallyworld killing time whilst my wife shopped, they had a demo system with Nintendogs on it, tried it, was wowed. Not just by the upgrade in visuals on a handheld system, but by the idea of a game like that (and of course how you interacted with the system). My experience with video games from the 70s 'til then was mostly shooting things, sports games, or adventure. This was a totally new, yet totally identifiable idea for a game. Loved it, bought two (one for me, one for my wife). Been mostly a handheld gamer since.

Last edited:
PS1 for THPS2. ever since then I'm sad to say that i bought Playstation's blindly just because it was the console I was used to. after i sold my PS4 i bought one again to replay Persona 5 and Bloodborne.

N64 for Pokemon Stadium/Snap

Gameboy Colour for Pokemon Red

DS for Pokemon HG/SS, AC New Leaf, Mario

Bought an XB1 for Halo and Forza.

Bought a Switch for BOTW, SMTV, Animal Crossing, Mario Odyssey.

Last edited:
NES - Zelda / Mario
SNES - Zelda LttP
N64 - Mario Kart 64
GameCube - Metroid Prime
Wii -
WiiU -
Switch - Zelda BotW
Game Boy -
Game Boy Color - Zelda LA DX
GBA - Castlevania CotM
NDS - Castlevania OoE
3DS - Zelda Ocarina 3D

PS2 -
PS3 - Uncharted / MGS4
PS4 -
PS5 - Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
PSP - Wipeout Pure
PS Vita - Uncharted GA

Xbox - Halo
Xbox 360 - Gears of War
Xbox One -

Genesis -
Dreamcast - Sonic Adventure
Game Gear -

These are all the platforms I’ve bought over the years. I’m surprised how many I got with no specific “must play” game I wanted in mind.

Neff

Snatcher - Sega CD
Ridge Racer - PlayStation
Super Mario 64 - Nintendo 64
Resident Evil: Code Veronica - Dreamcast
Resident Evil 5 - PS3
Scalebound - Xbox One
Village - PS5

marcincz

PS1 - Gran Turismo
DC - Shenmue
Switch - Bayonetta 2

Rest consoles I've bought without specific titles.

Last edited:

bobone

Gameboy - Pokemon Red
N64 - Goldeneye
Gameboy Color - Pokemon Yellow
PS1 - FF7
Gamecube - Smash Bros Melee / Resident Evil
GBA - promise of more Pokemon
PS2 - nothing in particular
Xbox - Halo 2
360 - Gears of War
PS3 - Demon Souls
Wii - Smash Bros
Xbox One - 360 was better than PS3
PS4 - Bloodborne
Switch - Smash Bros
PS5 - Demon Souls

upgraded PC for:
Starcraft
Oblivion
Starcraft 2
PubG

SolidQ

Nes/Dendi - Mario
Sega - Mortal Kombat 3/UMK 3
Playstation 1 - Mortal Kombat Trilogy/Resident evil
Playstation 2 - Final Fantasy 10/Burnout 2
PS3/PS4 too low number exclusives for buying them

Deerock71

I'd say Mario 64 was the only game that propelled me to buy any system ever. But after I played it in Sears, I had to have it.

EDIT- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron might have driven me to pick up a Gamecube too, now that I think about it.

Last edited:

Shtef

Mario - NES
Donkey Kong Country - SNES
Tomb raider - PS one
Mario64 - N64
Gears of war - Xbox 360
Uncharted - PS3
Bloodborne - PS4

Now I don't really care, I bought series x just because I like the console design, I prefer the controller and it has gamepass.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I never bought a platform just for the hardware. So yes, every single time I've done that.

Let's see...

Sonic for Genesis/Megadrive.
Virtua Fighter for Sega Saturn.
Tomb Raider II for PS1
Virtua Fighter 3 for the Dreamcast.
MGS2 for the PS2
Metroid Prime for the Gamecube
Wii Sports for the Wii

There's more, but it's what I can think of right now.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All these games I bought with the system or probably in the first month.

SNES - Contra III
PS1 - Formula One, RE, Tomb Raider
PS2 - NHL 2002, NFL 2k2, AC4
360 - This was a big haul. NHL 07 (shit game), Oblivion, COD2, and the great Gears 1 + COD3 Best Buy deal combo for $99.99 cdn

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I was very, very disappointed in how Dark Souls 2 turned out to be. Sortly after that the Project Beast was leaked and later it was confirmed to be Bloodborne, a PS4 exclusive.

So there's that, the Switch because BOTW and a 3DS for SMT IV.

Nezzeroth

Final Fantasy Versus XIII. I'm still salty about it. Not only because it didn't come out on PS3, but because XV was not at all what I wanted.

Mister Wolf

The Witcher 3 made me get into PC gaming. Played it originally on my Xbox One. Saw videos of it running at 60fps on PC and knew a had to have it. I bought a gaming laptop that could run it at 1080p 60fps High Settings. That was a special feeling. Went through the game again and all of the new expansions that released on PC.

For most of my life it’s been monster hunter. It’s the series I will buy new console just to play. It made me buy a Wii, a 3DS, a Wii U a PS4 and switch

intbal

Not a console, but I bought a 3Dfx Voodoo card solely to play Unreal. Couldn't afford a Voodoo2 at the time, so it was just an OG Voodoo 1.

Top Bottom