• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games made you buy a console?

Dream-Knife

Banned
N64 - Goldeneye
GC- The promise of Rareware titles (RIP)
Xbox - Halo
PS2 - Xenosaga
Switch - BOTW and XC2
3ds - Atlus titles
PS4 - Persona 5 and didn't want to build a gaming PC yet.

Last edited:

dcx4610

I think after the NES, it was mostly about getting video game consoles for the potential of future games rather than specific games. There are a few systems on my list though where there were specific games that made me want the system. But systems like the SNES, N64, Gamecube, I was just going to get those regardless of what the lineup looked like.

I still remember a TechTV clip of them interviewing someone in Japan for a launch of some system and they were like "Why did you buy ____" and the response was "I'm getting one because it's new." and that's pretty much my response on a lot of these systems. It's just fun buying new hardware and seeing what comes out on them. I'm mostly a PC gamer these days but I still buy consoles for exclusives or if they have a certain purpose like Switch being portable.

Atari 2600 - Honestly I have no idea. I was very young and I have no idea what made me want my first video game system. I wish I knew what it was that I saw that made me want it. All I can guess is I saw Pac-man or something like that.
NES - Super Mario Bros.
Genesis - Altered Beast
SNES - Super Mario World
Sega CD - Sewer Shark (It was more about the potential than the game)
32x - Mortal Kombat II
3DO - Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Sega Saturn - Panzer Dragoon (Honestly more about getting new hardware than anything)
Sony PlayStation - Battle Arena Toshinden (Also more about getting new hardware)
Nintendo 64 - Mario 64
Atari Jaguar - Wolf3D and DOOM (Didn't have a computer at the time)
Dreamcast - A long time after the launch. I only got one when it was discovered that it could play burned games and I had a PC and CD writer at that point)
Playstation 2 - Nothing appealed to me until Final Fantasy 10 which I honestly didn't even like when i got it.
GameCube - Rogue Squadron and Wave Race
Xbox - I honestly don't remember. I want to say Ninja Gaiden but mostly got it again because...new hardware.
Xbox 360 - Also don't remember. I got mine later in its life and I honestly think I only downloaded a few digital games. I preferred the PS3.
PlayStation 3 - I legit bought it as a Blu-ray player at launch (by far the cheapest one) and hoped that it got some good games later and it did.
Wii - Twilight Princess and Red Steel
Wii U - ZombiU
PlayStation 4 - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Xbox One - I got it to be my UHD player and for 360 games.
Switch - Breath of the Wild
Xbox Series X - Assassin's Creed Valhalla but mostly got it to hook up to my PC monitor for games not on PC, 360 games and a UHD player.
PlayStation 5 - Spider-Man but really just to replace the PS4

That was a lot of systems...

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Dreamcast - Sonic Adventure (but in all honesty, being a Sega fanboy at the time I would've bought it anyway)
Xbox - Halo (and Project Gotham Racing)
Gamecube - Resident Evil 4
PS3 - The Last of Us (yeah, I was late)
Wii U - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Xbox One - Rise of the Tomb Raider
Switch - Super Mario Odyssey

Xbox Series X - What games? Lol. No, I just wanted to secure one for myself, but 2021 turned out to be a good year after all
PS5 - Not for any specific games, I'm only playing Astro so far but have bought a few games that will arrive next week

I can't remember buying the Xbox 360 for a specific game, I just know I couldn't afford one at launch because I was a poor student at the time. I bought the Destiny PS4 bundle, didn't like the game at all but was happy with my new white PS4 at least.

cireza

Banned
I buy consoles because I expect a good library of third party games and, just as importantly, good gaming conditions.

I will never buy a console for a single game. This is not enough and never has been to me.

kyliethicc

QY4DQu1.jpg

Aion002

Before the ps2 my parents bought consoles to me so...

Ps2: MGS2
Ps3: MGS4
Psp: MGS Ac!d
Psv: Gravity Rush
Ps4: MGSV

360: Lost Odyssey
Series S: Game Pass
Wii: The Last Story

Yeah... I like Metal Gear.

I’m a PlayStation guy but, Ace combat and dead rising made me buy an Xbox 360.

Glad ace combat is back to PlayStation and dead rising sucks now 😂

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Usually, it's not a single game, it's a "critical mass" of games that I don't want to miss. But there are a few I can remember seeing that just put me over the edge.

Space Harrier -- Sega Master System
Sonic the Hedgehog -- Sega Genesis
Quake -- 3Dfx Voodoo
Sin and Punishment -- N64
Crazy Taxi -- Dreamcast

I think that's it. I *may* have bought a used GameBoy specifically to play Pokemon when that came out but I also might have had it lying around? I can't remember.

Last edited:

Mabdia

NES -Penguin And Seal
Mega Drive - Sonic
Neo Geo CD - The King of Fighters
Super Nintendo - Mega Man X
Playstation - Final Fantasy VII
Playstation 2 - Final Fantasy X
Playstation 3 - Gran Turismo 5
Xbox 360 - Dead or Alive 3 and 4
Playstation Vita - Gravity Rush
Playstation 4 - Gravity Rush 2

JayK47

Switch Animal Crossing (Animal Crossing Edition)
PS4 Uncharted 4 (Uncharted 4 Edition)
Xbox One Forza Horizon 3 I think.

PS1 Final Fantasy 7
Nintendo Super Mario Brothers

I can't remember the others.

joseph7jk

NES-Super Mario Bros 3
Super Nintendo - Mario World
Playstation - Resident Evil 2
Playstation 2 - Final Fantasy X
Playstation 3 - Ninokuni
Xbox 360 - Lost Oddysey
Playstation Vita - Persona 4
Playstation 4 - God of War
3DS- Dragon Quest 7 remake
DS- Chrono Trigger
PSP- Jean D´Ark

20cent

Banned
Mario Land - Gameboy
Quackshot - Megadrive
Street Fighter 2 - SNES
Sega Rally - Saturn
Crash Bandicoot - PS1
Mario 64 - N64
MvsC2 - Dreamcast
Metal Slug 1st Mission - NeoGeo Pocket Color
F-Zero - GBA
MGS2 - PS2
WarioWare - NDS
Lumines - PSP
Wario Smooth Moves - Wii
??? - Xbox 360
MGS4 - PS3
MGS3 3D - 3DS
Everybody's Golf - PS Vita
Uncharted 4 - PS4
BotW - Switch
no PS5 - PC

Last edited:

Hal.

Usually, it's not a single game, it's a "critical mass" of games that I don't want to miss. But there are a few I can remember seeing that just put me over the edge.

Space Harrier -- Sega Master System
Sonic the Hedgehog -- Sega Genesis
Quake -- 3Dfx Voodoo
Sin and Punishment -- N64
Crazy Taxi -- Dreamcast

I think that's it. I *may* have bought a used GameBoy specifically to play Pokemon when that came out but I also might have had it lying around? I can't remember.

Agree with this about critical mass - usually I’ll pick up a console when there’s a few titles I want in the same way, or if it’s just the next iteration (like Switch I bought at launch as I’d get one anyway).

Single games that pushed me over the edge though:

PS4 Pro - Spider-Man (wanted the upgrade over regular PS4)

Xbox One X - AC Origins 4K patch (loved the One X so much I switched from PlayStation to Xbox as my main platform!)

Wii U - Mario 3D World

Xbox 360 - Halo Reach

Digity

Was the system worth it for you for that game?
I mean not exactly, the Switch library isn't very good in my eyes. I am looking forward to BOTW2 but to be honest I could have just emulated it back then and saved myself the money.

SpiceRacz

N64 - Mario 64
Saturn - Nights Into Dreams
PS1 - Resident Evil
GBA - Super Dodgeball
GameCube - Rogue Squadron II
Xbox - Shenmue I
PSP - Lumines
Nintendo DS - New Super Mario Bros
Wii - Twilight Princess
PS3 - Fallout 3
Wii U - Super Mario 3D World
Switch - Breath of The Wild

tommib

The only console I remember buying for just one game was the PS4. I honestly thought I was not going to get a PS4 any time soon. But then Bloodborne was released. Reviews and gameplay videos started to circulate - and me being the From Software bitch that I am, ran to a GAME shop in Stratford and got it on the spot. Was very lucky. They only had 1 left.

Old Retro

NES - VS Super Mario Bros (technically), Ghosts n Goblins
Genesis - Ghouls n Ghosts, Revenge of Shinobi
Super NES - Street Fighter II Turbo
Sega Saturn - Street Fighter Alpha
Nintendo 64 - Mario 64 - the last time I would ever buy a console on launch day

Tschumi

It was cheapest, but i immediately fell in love with wind waker - GameCube
Halo - xbox
Metal gear solid 2 - ps2
Red dead redemption - ps3
Fifa free online - xbox 360
Metal gear solid 4 - ps3 again
Hard to remember, so many good reasons - ps4 pro
probably Deathloop and returnal, elden ring and gt7 on preorder - ps5

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Easy.

Super Mario Bros 3 and Captain Tsubasa - Famicom
Sonic the Hedgehog - Sega Mega Drive
Captain Tsubasa J - PlayStation
Winning Eleven 5 - PlayStation 2
Grand Theft Auto IV - PlayStation 3

Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, PS4 and PS5, all bought because they're the new, nextgen console.

Edit: Completely forgot about the Wii, Wii U and Switch, lol. Wii bought for the motion gimmick, Wii U and Switch because they're the newest Nintendo consoles.

Last edited:
Most consoles my mind is made up before any games are released, but the few that changed that were

SNES - F-Zero. The game looked so awesome in the Mean Machines screenshots that I almost couldn't believe it was real screen shoots

XBox - Halo

PS2 - ICO. I'm not a fan of the system, but playing ICO down my mates house, made me buy the game and the console the next day

3DO - Crash and Burn. This game looked like having a coin up in your home

CDi - 7th Quest. I liked the PC version and this looked stunning on the CDi

Bramble

None. I bought a PS3 mainly for the convenience of having a console and to game on the couch. I stayed because of everything Sony first party. Had a PS4 and PS4 Pro and now PS5.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Halo:CE made me buy the first Xbox.

Although not a console, the original Rome:Total War convinced me to get back into PC gaming and build my own PC.

Orta

Banned
The only consoles I had no intention of buying but did based upon a single game were...

Snes - super mario allstars
N64 - mario64
Ps2 - Onimusha Warlords

benno

sega rally - dreamcast
wipeout - ps3
demon's souls - ps5
turok - n64
project gotham - 360
rage racer - psx
gt - ps2

Last edited:

Kev Kev

in the 90s when you first played this game over at your friends house, you wanted an N64 so bad right after
GoldenEye007box.jpg

PS2 - Metal Gear Solid 2/GTA 3

Xbox - Halo

Xbox 360 - Call of duty 2

PS3 - Killzone 2

Wii - Wii Sports

DS - New Super Mario Bros

Xbox One - no idea, friends were there at launch. Miserable library of games for the first few years

PS4 - Uncharted 4

Switch - Mario Odyssey

Series X - My digital library is there.

Last edited:

HBx2000

I skipped the PlayStation 2 and bought a PlayStation 3 at launch for the ability to play
Grand Theft Auto - Liberty City Stories and Grand Theft Auto - Vice City Stories.

Xbox 360 - Forza Horizon
Xbox One - Forza Horizon 2

AJUMP23

Gold Member
NES - it was a gift I was a kid
N64 - SMB64 I had this day one.
Game Cube - Rouge Squadron
PS2 - SSX
PS3 - MGS4
Xbox - Halo
Xbox 360 - Halo 2
Xbox1 - I just bought it to upgrade (played Assassins Creed Black Flag first)
PS4 - A gift from my mother, the last thing she ever gave me, she had Alzheimer's and was unable to communicate or do much after this gift, it was a thank you for taking care of her.
Series X - Bought because it was an upgrade
PS5 - I haven't seen a game I really want for it come out yet, and they are not easily obtainable.

I also never bought a SEGA console.

NES - Super Mario Bros
Xbox OG - Halo
Xbox 360 - Gears of War
Xbox One - Sea of Thieves/ Dead Rising 3/ Forza Motorsport 5
Xbox One X - Forza Motorsport 7 / Rise of the Tomb Rider / Gears of War 4
Nintendo Switch - Breath of the Wild / Animal Crossing / Luigi's Mansion
Xbox Series X - ALL

I also have Playstations (2,3,4 PRO) but only for some exclusives and I don't remember buying them for particular titles and in any case never at launch.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Rayman Ravin Rabbids - Wii
My wife played it at some party and desperately wanted one. And if my wife is demanding we spend a bunch of money on some new technology I am always happy to oblige.

DragonNCM

PS1: RE 1
Dreamcast: RE:Code Veronica
XBOX: Halo
PS2: GT3
PC: Unreal Tournament
PS3:Demons souls
XBOX360: Gears of war
PS4: Horizon
PS5: (on launch) as hardware (with perspective for exclusives, mainly for Horizon, GT, GoW)
XSS: Gamepass

Billbofet

PS1: Battle Arena Toshinden
N64: Shadows of the Empire/Mario 64
Dreamcast: Soul Calibur
PS2: Gran Turismo 3
XBox: KOTOR
Xbox 360: PGR3
PS3: My third RRoD on my 360
PS4: No particular game. It was just available at a time it was hard to find, so I bit
Switch: BotW

Last edited:
PS1 - Tekken 2
Dreamcast - Soulcalibur

Those are the only two consoles I can think of that I bought expressly for the one game I was trying to play on it.

In every other case, I've bought the console and just happened to buy good/fun games on that console.

Top Bottom