• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games would you want to see on a SEGA Dreamcast Mini

Games you want on a Dreamcast Mini

• Power Stone

• Sonic Adventure

• Crazy Taxi

• Jet Set Radio

Results are only viewable after voting.
Might be the most expensive mini console if this happens

Also keep in mind game is exclusive to Japan too

Sega would also be foolish to ignore Dreamcast's online feature and not include built in wifi as it too was a stable feature , as well as its game, to gaming as a whole.

Last edited:
I start thinking Dynamite Cop, Skies of Arcadia, CvS2...then I remember that while Dreamcast is my favourite console ever as it came at the right time in my life, that controller gave me CTS so...ah hell, why not, worth it for another go at DOA2 and maybe we get cancelled titles like Take the Bullet.

Orta

Banned
My choice, 20 games you absolutely cannot find fault with (I've excluded rpg's, not a fan of them).

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
Shenmue 1 & 2
Crazy Taxi trilogy
Power Stone 1 & 2
Code Veronica
Jet Set Radio
Sega Rally 2
Daytona
F355 Challenge
Metropolis Street Racer
Rez
House of the Dead 2
Virtua Tennis
Virtua Fighter 3
Soul Calibur

Bonus game/wildcard:
Toy Commander

That's what you call a mini lineup.

Last edited:
I want all the best 4-players games on there. Spent every evening playing with my friends after a long day at college:

Powerstone
Powerstone 2
San Francisco Rush 2049
Virtua Tennis
NBA Showtime

My choice, 20 games you absolutely cannot find fault with (I've excluded rpg's, not a fan of them).

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
Shenmue 1 & 2
Crazy Taxi trilogy
Power Stone 1 & 2
Code Veronica
Jet Set Radio
Sega Rally 2
Daytona
F355 Challenge
Metropolis Street Racer
Rez
House of the Dead 2
Virtua Tennis
Virtua Fighter 3
Soul Calibur

Bonus game/wildcard:
Toy Commander

Add Space channel 5 and Shadow man and this is basically a perfect list.

Isa

Gold Member
Nice. I'd love to see Phantasy Star Online with mp. There'd be a dedicated community for sure though I doubt they'd do it. I bet licensing would be an issue but I also want the sports titles like 2K football and basketball. I'd even want them to throw in that messed up classics collection I have of older Sega games, despite the bugged sound it was among my first game collection discs and my sister and best friends would play it a lot, plus my frequent runs through Shining Force. I also would like to see Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament. Sadly I don't recall many Japanese exclusives but am very open to try them.

BTW thanks for reminding me I've got to give my Genesis Mini II a spin. Just been so busy lately.

clarky

Gold Member
Mars Matrix
Boarder Down
Bangai-o

Plus a dozen other shooters.

Mark of the wolves.

Yeah and PSO loved grinding in that.

I'd buy 2.

Edit: Just looking back at the Dreamcast catalogue, sega's best console imo so many classic's. Might get it out of storage.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Seaman.jpg

Drew1440

Virtua Fighter 3
Crazy taxi
Shenmue
D2
Daytona USA 2001
Dead Or Alive 2
Headhunter
Metropolis Street Racer
San Francisco Rush 2049

clarky

Gold Member

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
Shenmue 1 & 2
Crazy Taxi trilogy
Power Stone 1 & 2
Code Veronica
Jet Set Radio
Sega Rally 2
Daytona
F355 Challenge
Metropolis Street Racer
Rez
House of the Dead 2
Virtua Tennis
Virtua Fighter 3
Soul Calibur

Bonus game/wildcard:
Toy Commander

Good list and thats mostly Sega you could easily treble that. so so many quality games.

anthony2690

Banned
Jet Set Radio
Skies of arcadia
Crazy Taxi 2
Powerstone 2
Sonic adventure 1&2
Virtua Tennis
Fighting Vipers 2
Virtua Fighter 3 TB
Shenmue 1&2
Street Fighter Third Strike
Silver
Ikaruga
Grandia 2
Gunbird 2
Metropolis Street Racer
Zombie Revenge
Sword of Berserk
Blue Stinger
Dynamite Cop
Rez
Chu Chu Rocket
Soul Calibur
Gigawing

Bonus game:
Segagaga (English)

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Oooh Mars matrix… although I never could work out it’s scoring system. Sick soundtrack.
I have a JP sealed copy in the loft, along with a good few more.

Edit: Chu chu rocket, mentioned above, couldnt have mini with out that and samba de Amigo complete with mini marracca's .

Last edited:

Daytonabot

Banned
As someone who imported a Japanese Dreamcast and paid for next day delivery on Christmas day 1998 so I could play Sonic Adventure, I don't have much interest in a mini. Almost everything has been ported. I'd rather see a Master System, a Saturn, or even a Genesis 3 to clean up the still glaring omissions.

anthony2690

Banned
Sword of the Berzerk
I beat that game so many times as a kid, I loved it!

I wad beating it daily for a good couple weeks at one point!

I looked it up more recently and was surprised how lowly reviewed it was.

Very nostalgic for me though!
Took long enough for someone to mention this gem of a game! Thank you mending such sin.
Gotta mention the games I loved on the DC :)

Rockeeo

Blue Stinger
Metropolis Street Racer
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Tokyo Xtreme Racer
Virtua Tennis
Shenmue
Dave Mirra BMX
Phantasy Star Online
Ecco the Dolphin
Legacy of Kain
Soul Calibur

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Soulcalibur (I mean, gotta have it, it's not even been ported anywhere in full since and it was and is brilliant)
Resident Evil Code: Veronica & X (it's a classic - translate the latter but give the option to play the original as well)
Aero Dancing/Wings trilogy (amazing and unique flight simulators - do them with translations of 2/F's Taikenban expandalone, the third game i and its own expandalone Jikai Saku Made Matemasen)
Crazy Taxi & 2 (good to have both for the different cities and play style, blazing fast 60fps with great dense visuals showing the system could handle open world games if anyone made them)
ECCO the Dolphin: Defender of the Future (ambitious and unique adventure worth honoring)
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (you know the drill)
Test Drive/F355 Challenge (brilliant sim/homage/love letter/passion project)
Virtua Striker 2 (fun arcade football/soccer shenanigans with a beautiful port proving Dreamcast could handle Model 3 games despite Sega Rally 2's issues #1)
Zero Gunner 2 (awesome rotating helicopter shmup)
Test Drive Le Mans/24 Hours (second only to F355 in that vein)
Virtua Tennis 2/2K2 (no reason for the original imo)
Power Stone & 2 (both are worth having for the different content)
Rayman 2: The Great Escape (probably the definitive version at the time and a really good game at that)
Elemental Gimmick Gear (unique JRPG)
Grandia II (best version at the time - if not still given the remaster's issues - and a really fun game, even if the story was a bit cliche)
Tech Romancer (neat 3D anime mech/giant robot fighting game by Capcom, sad it's 30fps)
Psyvariar II (fairly good looking shmup)
D2 (I'd say it's the precursor to amazing survival horror titles like Code: Veronica, bizarre and unique and a huge upgrade in gameplay to previous Warp efforts)
Shenmue & II (token must-have people would whine about I guess, I could do without them given the saga's future)
Daytona USA/2001 (great remake with beautiful polished visuals, screw the haters)
Metropolis Street Racer (amazing looking racer most of the time with unprecedented polygonal details in the tracks, it just takes a while to get to the better/longer stuff)
Dead or Alive 2 Limited (Japanese upgraded version, translate it fully or simply default to the English/subtitle settings)
Project Justice (so underrated vs Soulcalibur, DOA2 or the 2D Capcom fighting games, it's up there)
Ikaruga (duh)
Skies of Arcadia (this was the opposite to Grandia for me, great story and everything else but the combat, at least the standard party combat, was more dull)
Sega Rally 2 (maybe fix the fps but iconic either way)
Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2/Highway Challenge 2 (no reason for the original in this one case, it's just the same but way better imo, though it's also a huge shame it didn't bring back the drifting of Saturn's Shutokou Battle '97, it would have been a classic with that)
Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon DX (the first of the long-running initially Capcom-made series - translate it, maybe give the option to play the non DX version as in the game's two disc release, Idk why it was a thing but maybe there are legit reasons to want both)
Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram (so good to look at and play, beautiful port proving Dreamcast could handle Model 3 games despite Sega Rally 2's issues #2)
Jet Set/Grind Radio (duh)
Space Channel 5 (still a unique experience as far as rhythm games go, maybe translate Part 2 as well)
Maken X (I guess this can be omitted as a filler game, it's not amazing but it's a pretty neat first person action game with SMT-esque visuals and story)
Bangai-O (rad 2D arcade shooter)
Record of Lodoss War (the true console Diablo, more than PSO)
Border Down (best side scrolling shmup maybe, to differentiate from all the top down stuff)
Zombie Revenge (underrated arcade brawler)
MDK2 (great classic third person shooter, this was the best version at the time with the PS2's lacking in visuals and performance, it was nerfed in difficulty - like all future ports - too)
Under Defeat (not my favorite shmup to play, ZG2 is way better, but it just looks great)
Hydro Thunder (add some variety to the racing games, I borderline want 4 Wheel Thunder also but, beautiful and polished as it is, it's kind of plain and boring, especially compared to how frantic Hydro feels)

Sakura Taisen/Wars III & IV could be finally translated for some visual novel + SRPG mech battling goodness but maybe only if they do a Saturn mini with Sakura Taisen/Wars & II (they're also on DC but barely enhanced, I think they fit Saturn better), especially as IV is a homage/send off.

Bonus games (only because of lack of online, if they actually added that then they could be main games, maybe some lesser games above like 4 Wheel Thunder could fit here instead too)
Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 (you know this one but hey if they added a freaking ending that would be nice)
Propeller Arena (excellent and super polished arcade combat flight deathmatch shenanigans)
Outtrigger (better suited to console play than Quake 3 imo)
The Typing of the Dead (with any standard keyboards supported)

Hidden games (with controls/options that can support both retro - if this thing can connect to CRT - and modern lightguns like Sinden/AE/Gun4IR, unless of course they bundle a gun, then they could be main games, otherwise just don't bother)
Confidential Mission
Virtua Cop 2
The House of the Dead 2

Maybe add some Atomiswave and Naomi games if possible, it's a crime some of these didn't get ported back then (but others weren't great anyway).
Guilty Gear X (because Dreamcast itself didn't get the 1.5 version, otherwise I guess the existing release could be in the main list)
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
Dolphin Blue
(one of said crimes)
Neo Geo Battle Coliseum and Samurai Shodown VI could be added as fairly uncommon SNK games but I guess they aren't their best anyway.
Maze of Kings, Ninja Assault and Lupin the 3rd: The Shooting could be alongside the earlier hidden lightgun games, maybe Lupin the 3rd: The Typing alongside TTOTD.

Maybe Virtua Fighter 3tb has to be there somewhere too but not for me (I don't find the port itself bad, the game itself looked outdated and crude by 2000 standards even if it was jawdropping in 1996 and it was super barebones and plain) and if so I'd add Fighting Vipers 2 with it.

Maybe Capcom vs. SNK 2 - Millionaire Fighting 2001, but it seems to me this series didn't turn out so great, I dunno, let FGC folks decide.

Maybe more Capcom fighting games like SFA3, SFIII variants, Vampire Chronicle, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, etc., maybe more from SNK as well, Garou, but yeah, you can get most in other ways (including some games I main listed but they're iconic for Dreamcast, gotta have 'em).

Maybe the Sonic games but I never feel like playing those so I didn't include them, that's just me, I guess they'd have to include both Adventure games though, much like Shenmue.

Maybe some more shmups but just the best, don't flood the library. There are other potential filler games like Red Dog, Fur Fighters, Toy Commander, Super Magnetic Neo, Starlancer, Silver, Soul Reaver, Time Stalkers, or even a translated Napple Tale.

Sega Bass Fishing (port proving Dreamcast could handle Model 3 games despite Sega Rally 2's issues #3), Sega Marine Fishing and especially Sega Bass Fishing 2 are also cool games but they wouldn't do the fishing rod, even less likely than the lightgun, so no thanks.

And that's about it. Plenty GREAT games even we have to exclude some licenced stuff (but not all, can't have no F355/Daytona) and/or third party stuff (but not all, can't have no MvC2/Project Justice) and/or Japan-only stuff (but please do). No dodgy stuff just because they were rare or unreleased.

Almost everything has been ported.
WRONG, plus many of the ports were on now, even if not then, equally dead systems, while others were trash like Soulcalibur not having all content or Zero Gunner 2 being the somewhat dodgy - version by City Connection. How's a third Genesis mini on top of constant rom releases less ported?!

Edit: had Zero Gunner 2 listed twice, replaced one with Psyvariar II.

Last edited:
Napple Tale, Blue Submarine No. 6, Ferrari F355 Challenge, D2, DOA 2, Soul Calibur, Space Channel 5, Virtua Tennis, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, RE Code: Veronica, Skies of Arcadia, Segagaga (with English translation), Rent A Hero (with English translation), Rayman 2, Chu Chu Rocket, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Daytona USA, House of the Dead 2, Sonic Shuffle (maybe with some tweaks), Grandia II, Ikaruga.

TLZ

Banned
I did the survey that came with the Mega Drive Mini 2 and multi-picked Master System, Saturn, Dreamcast and Game Gear (non-micro) as the next mini console. There were more options like Mega Drive 3 and others I can't remember. Hope it helps in any way.

My preference are MS and Saturn first, but I'd take a Dreamcast of course.

PanzerCute

Am I the only one who loved Blue Stinger? I would also add D2 : such a weird and singular game.
And so, so many others. What an incredible machine.

UnNamed

Banned
Powers Stone 2
Soul Calibur
F355
Metropolis Street Racer
DOA2
Virtua Tennis
Skies of Arcadia
RE:Code Veronica
Headhunter
Sonic Adventure 1
Ikaruga
Jet Set Radio
Rez
Shenmue 1+2 (maybe both in Japanese with subtitles)
Sega Rally 2

Bonus game(s) :
Propeller Arena
Half Life 2

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I don't understand these mini consoles. Surly it would make more sense just to release these games on PC and console?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
  1. Skies of Arcadia
  2. Grandia 2
  3. Sonic Adventure
  4. Sonic Adventure 2
  5. Power Stone
  6. Space Channel 5
  7. Crazy Taxi
  8. Soul Calibur
  9. Dead or Alive 2
  10. Marvel vs Capcom 2
  11. Jet Set Radio
  12. Project Justice
  13. Sega Rally 2
  14. Virtua Tennis 2
  15. MDK 2
  16. Ikaruga
  17. Shenmue
  18. Chu Chu Rocket
  19. Rayman 2
  20. Ecco the Dolphin
BONUS: HALF-LIFE

F31 Leopard

On the top of my head.
Ill bleed
Dino Crisis
Gunfire 2
Giga Wing 1 and 2
Triggerheart Exelica
Mars Matrix
Ikaruga
Blue Stinger
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
The Last Blade 2
Plasma Sword
Psychic Force
Capcom vs SNK 1 and 2
Jet Set Radio
Headhunter
Code Veronica
Soul Calibur
Dead or Alive 2
Sega Rally 2
Tokyo Xtreme Racer 1 and 2
Daytona USA
Sega GT
Metropolis Street Racer

First of all, it has to have internet accessibility. This was an iconic feature of the machine, so that needs to be included via WiFi. As for my list:

Crazy Taxi
Phantasy Star Online (online play available)
Shenmue
Soul Calibur
Jet Set Radio
Sonic Adventure
Virtua Tennis
Skies of Arcadia
Power Stone
The House of the Dead 2 (played best with a lightgun on CRT, but fuck it, let's include this as well)
Ikaruga
Rez
Rival Schools 2: Project Justice
Space Channel 5
Marvel vs. Capcom 2

15 picks, keeping it simple for a library consisting of the most recognizable, iconic games on the machine. There are a ton of worthy picks, its library of good games is surprisingly huge.

[...]
Virtua Tennis 2/2K2 (no reason for the original imo)
[...]

Best post in this thread, but .. the first one has a kick ass soundtrack that's so much better than 2k2. I recall it also being simpler. I'll always pick the first one over this one.

daffyduck

I'd actually like to *see* a "Dreamcast Mini". Not this available to Japan and North America, by "North America" meaning the US only.

Top Bottom