• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What GPU generation do you have

Which generation is your Graphics Card?

• Total voters

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Just upgraded to a 4070Ti (Ada Lovelace) from a 2070 (Turing).

Usually I try to build a system roughly every 5 years, but the 1060 I put in my 2017 system wasn't quite cutting it in the heavier VR games, so I replaced it in early 2020 with a used 2070. It definitely helped with games like Half Life Alyx, but it was a little underwhelming of a generation, probably in part because I upgraded on the tail end.

So the new 4070Ti is part of my all new 5 year build (a long with an i7-13700k) and holy shit it' a night and day difference especially when it comes to those games with really heavy RT. A 2070 is still an adequate card for 1080p or even 1440 most of the time, but the first gen RT in Turing always has a huge performance cost.

The new card, on the other hand, makes it feel effortless. I can run Cyberpunk on Overdrive at a silky smooth 90+, it's a revelation. I can't wait for path traced games to start taking over.

Ada is developing a bad reputation mostly because of the costs, but in terms of generational performance, it's one of the best gens we have seen in a long time.

Last edited:
RX 6800XT.
Im guessing here, but if u planning to get something at least 2x more powerfull from xsx/ps5, and still dont break a bank, on top of having huge vram pool, bus width and bandwith, i suggest this baby https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7900-xt.c3912
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3B...deon-rx-7900-xt-20-gb-video-card-11323-02-20g under 800$ now.

If u got lower budget and dont need as powerful card, or prefer nvidia, their only solid/okish offering currently is 4070, if u are on tight budget and want amd, anything from 6700/6700xt/6800/6800xt is great too, again all depends on ur budget and needs.

Balls to the wall option, aka best in slot is 4090, but that costs pretty penny, no compromise card tho, so again, depends on ur needs and budget.

I still want to play at 1080p 60

This is the CPU I'm looking at

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor​

The previous poster suggested RX 6800XT, so been looking at that

Can I still do Ray tracing at 1080p? Curious

winjer

Gold Member

It can do RT, although not as well as Ampere.
But it does have the advantage of having lower driver overhead, something important for people playing at lower resolutions.
It also has 16Gb, which gives it a bit more future proofing.

zPAtZiU.png

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
What GPU should I get? I'm looking for a 20Tflops Card with lot of VRAM. More than 8 GB
What's your price range?

20 TFlops is a little bit of a dodgy target right at this moment because it's the low end of the current gen and those cards have a lot of compromises that might not be apparent from their raw compute specs.

If you can reach up a little bit to the next tier up, you have better options, like 4070 or the upcoming 7800XT, which are probably going to keep you a lot happier in the long run.

If RT is important to you, get the newest nVidia card you can afford, Ada cards are just amazing at RT, and DLSS just multiplies this. In heavy path-traced games like Cyberpunk Overdrive or Portal RTX, nVidia and AMD are on different planets, it's like 20fps vs 100fps.

Last edited:
I am rocking the same thing, EVGA 980 Ti Classified!

sbLa93v.jpg

Same I have 2 connected. This time I'm going for a single card since I feel like the graphics for me are getting good enough where it doesn't matter if it's low-end or highend for me. I guess law of diminishing returns is a thing. But I do have to upgrade everything in my computer.

Last edited:

PeteBull

RT= topend amd cards or even better topend nvidia cards, basically rt usually takes lots of resources both cpu/gpu wise so if u wanna turn on rt, then i suggest to buy as strong rig as u can afford.
No rt= definitely would recommend 6800xt for u but if u wanna rt i would either go 7800xt or rtx 4070, and cpu again- sky is the limit(aka ur budget).

Currently most demanding/unoptimised game that still looks reallly good maxed is Jedi Survivor so look how it runs/plays/looks and decide then on whats comfortable for u, visuals/fps wise, and budget wise.

GAF results seem to be in line with all of Steam Hardware Survey as a whole. Maybe a little bit overrepresented on AMD but not really a big deal when GAF is a much smaller sample size than SHS.

Top Bottom