• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What GPU generation do you have

Which generation is your Graphics Card?

• Total voters

Codeblew

Pretty sure I now have the Boomer generation of GPUs!

Sad Season 4 GIF by The Office
You have a 3dfx Voodoo card?

Bry0

4080 in one rig and 5700xt in the other. Originally bought a 7900xtx but it had the vapor chamber issues the reference models had so I returned it. It seems almost 6 months later AMD still hasn’t fixed the idle power draw or VR performance so I don’t have any regrets. They need to get it together.

ssringo

2080 Super.

Still handles whatever I want to play at an acceptable performance level. I'll probably build a new PC in the next year or so. See how all this VRAM hubbub plays out before committing.

supernova8

Banned
Went for a used 6600 XT since my PC is AM4 based with a 3400G, and I don't think I'll bother upgrading the CPU anytime soon, figured a better GPU would be bottlenecked anyway. Managed to sell my 1650 for a surprisingly reasonable priced (having bought it used in the firs place).

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Just upgraded my 970GTX to a RX6600 and I didn't even need the upgrade for the stuff I play.

I also have a GeForce 4200ti.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Sitting on a 3080 10gb, works great for 3440x1440 screen. Going to sit out the 4000 series not enough performance gain for the price, if 5000 cards are better priced will upgrade, if not will wait until 6000 series.

Last edited:

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
I can understand if you have Anything below the 3000 series and what is its equivalent in AMD if PC is not your main platform ( maybe 2080s or 2080ti)

But if your PC is the main platform... need to upgrade bud asap.
Not everyone on PC plays AAA games. PC is my only platform and I'd be happy with my 970GTX for another 10 years. I'm only into small/medium budget and older games these days which run like butter. And most of PC gamers only play a handful of "low graphics fidelity" games like Wow, CS, LoL CoH,... where any old GPU will do.

Last edited:

John Wick

Until about 6-7 months ago I was still supporting a GTX970. I am currently using a 2nd hand 2080TI which I got at a very good price. I had previously purchased new GPU's but sold them at profit before even opening and installing them in my PC. The money was just too good to turn down. Sold 1080,2080, 2080ti and 3060ti.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Not everyone on PC plays AAA games. PC is my only platform and I'd be happy with my 970GTX for another 10 years. I'm only into small/medium budget and older games these days which run like butter. And most of PC gamers only play a handful of "low graphics fidelity" games like Wow, CS, LoL CoH,... where any old GPU will do.
Yups thats a valid point, tons of esport games(fortnite, apex, rocket league+ the ones u mentioned already) require really low spec rig by todays standars, easily under 300$ for whole thing, especially if we talking older/used parts.
Those gamers are often way more hc than us- AAA games consumers, just they dont require expensive hardware nor even software, tons of kids/teens are in that bracket too.

Thats the reason so many GaaS shit tier or even mid tier games fail/bomb/get closed down, coz simply huge chunk of gaas playerbase wont even spend a dime on their hobby for years, while us AAA-games lovers have no problem forking out few hundo bucks or even few k bucks yearly on the hobby- thats why voting with our wallets rox, no influencer/sellout journo can tell us succesfully whats good or bad game, we simply decide what to spend our hard earned money on, and that way talent wins =D

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Still on GTX 1080, running everything 1440 60fps flat. Kinda crazy, but a upgrade is not needs still.

I'm looking at the 4000 series, bit everytime I wanna go for a sale, I get confronted that i'm still able to run every modern game just fine. I'm not into the whole raytracing thing. No real meaningful benefits to games (even though I know where to look for its benefits, if supported. But rasterization is still leading)

It's not like the Shader 3.0 days where you HAD to upgrade to play the newest games.

Last edited:

MikeM

4090 and a 7800x3d

I enjoy playing games, so obviously I want to enjoy them at the highest possible quality.

Plus I don't have any kids to worry about having to feed or keep alive.
That helps immensely. I have kids so settled for a “crappy” 7900xt.

3090, undervolted.
bought it to play my backlog games like elden ring and resident evil village at 4k120.
still using an old ass 7600k (4c/4t). runs fine.

will consider upgrading to the 5000 series.

3070ti mobile with a Intel 12700h and 32gb ddr5, 4k to my oled. No probs for the games I play on it. As a primary console player I cap at 60fps.

dcx4610

Still on my RTX 2070 but it's been reliable and plays most games at 60+ FPS at 1440p. I'm itching for a 4090 just so I can play some of the more recent releases at high frame rate but I'm waiting for ATX 3.0 PSUs to become abundant.

Justin9mm

Bought a 3080 start of this year, big mistake considering price of 4070 Ti.. I fucked up!

This is for 1440p gaming but mainly VR, it should still go strong for a while but I paid too much for it so no upgrading it for a while now.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Still on GTX 1080, running everything 1440 60fps flat. Kinda crazy, but a upgrade is not needs still.

I'm looking at the 4000 series, bit everytime I wanna go for a sale, I get confronted that i'm still able to run every modern game just fine. I'm not into the whole raytracing thing. No real meaningful benefits to games (even though I know where to look for its benefits, if supported. But rasterization is still leading)

It's not like the Shader 3.0 days where you HAD to upgrade to play the newest games.
Any modern demanding game will bring gtx 1080 to its knees, even in 1080p, first of such one, and i was gtx 1080 owner at that time, was rdr2.

If u looking for upgrades from 4000 series i can only suggest 2 cards- if u got unlimited budged and want something best in slot- go for 4090.
If u looking for great upgrade that will last u few solid years, aka till end of this console gen- go with 4070- its 1/3rd of 4090 msrp but its only 50% of its performance/vram so in current market its relatively ok value.
If u wanna go amd i recommend to chose from 6700/6700xt/6800/6800xt again depending on the budget and ur goals.

HL3.exe

Any modern demanding game will bring gtx 1080 to its knees, even in 1080p, first of such one, and i was gtx 1080 owner at that time, was rdr2.

If u looking for upgrades from 4000 series i can only suggest 2 cards- if u got unlimited budged and want something best in slot- go for 4090.
If u looking for great upgrade that will last u few solid years, aka till end of this console gen- go with 4070- its 1/3rd of 4090 msrp but its only 50% of its performance/vram so in current market its relatively ok value.
If u wanna go amd i recommend to chose from 6700/6700xt/6800/6800xt again depending on the budget and ur goals.
Thanks for the input, i'm looking at a 4070. But still waiting for a price drop, as they're 4060's in disguise.

Not really true about the GTX1080. Yes, if you're cranking everything up to Ultra, sure, but that's really unnecessary. The visual benefits on Ultra are negligent at best. I'll usually check 'optimized setting' or 'console equivalent settings' and it usually boosts performance up to 40%. Running it locked 60 at 1440. I ran RDR2 this way, silky smooth, even more so now with upscaling techniques implemented. Sure, there are some outliers, and the card is definitely coming to it's end. But it's crazy how well it still performs 6 years on, and the upscale techniques (FSR, XeSS) keep it from fully being irrelevant.

Last edited:

Assaulty

6900xt witha 13600k. Can play anything I throw at it at 1440 Ultra at great framerates, so don't feel the need to upgrade for at least another generation.

PeteBull

Thanks for the input, i'm looking at a 4070. But still waiting for a price drop, as they're 4060's in disguise.

Not really true about the GTX1080. Yes, if you're cranking everything up to Ultra, sure, but that's really unnecessary. The visual benefits on Ultra are negligent at best. I'll usually check 'optimized setting' or 'console equivalent settings' and it usually boosts performance up to 40%. Running it locked 60 at 1440. I ran RDR2 this way, silky smooth, even more so now with upscaling techniques implemented. Sure, there are some outliers, and the card is definitely coming to it's end. But it's crazy how well it still performs 6 years on, and the upscale techniques (FSR, XeSS) keep it from fully being irrelevant.
im guessing u using settings close or even same as those, the guy in the vid got terrible 0,1% and 1% lows but very likely its coz of super old cpu from 2011, so as long as u got 6core ones, like 2017 8700k(thats my current too) u should be golden ;)

About ur upgrade to 4070, gonna be wortht it for sure, 4 more gigs of vram, access to dlss and on avg +129% performance will make u discover many games in new way https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1080.c2839

PeteBull

What GPU should I get? I'm looking for a 20Tflops Card with lot of VRAM. More than 8 GB
Im guessing here, but if u planning to get something at least 2x more powerfull from xsx/ps5, and still dont break a bank, on top of having huge vram pool, bus width and bandwith, i suggest this baby https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7900-xt.c3912
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3B...deon-rx-7900-xt-20-gb-video-card-11323-02-20g under 800$ now.

If u got lower budget and dont need as powerful card, or prefer nvidia, their only solid/okish offering currently is 4070, if u are on tight budget and want amd, anything from 6700/6700xt/6800/6800xt is great too, again all depends on ur budget and needs.

Balls to the wall option, aka best in slot is 4090, but that costs pretty penny, no compromise card tho, so again, depends on ur needs and budget.

Hohenheim

3090 here.
Will probably be very tempted to upgrade when the 5090 is out next year. I play at 240hz 1440p now, and the next upgrade will be 4k monitor and either 5090 late next year, or (If I stay strong) 6090 in 2026.

PeteBull

I'm surprised how low turing is.
Turing was bad gpu gen to get, big price increase, no vram increase, low perfomance increase, dlss was still not that good in its first iteration, gpu's didnt have enough oomph for proper RT either, many games didnt use rt at all at that time, and tons of ppl bought godly pascal gen cards so were still having relatively modern gpus :)

winjer

Gold Member

I'm surprised how low turing is.

There were news at the time, that Turing sales were underperforming. The performance increase from Pascal, was small. DLSS1 was very bad, so it was not a selling point. And RT in Turing was very limited and there were few games that used it.

gamer82

ooft still rock gtx 1060 3gb to be fair i don't game on the pc anymore with having console but even that has seen a reduction in playtime also . I think i'm haIvng a gaming burnout but slowly starting back with totk when i have some time. I just dont feel like spending money on a new gfx card when theres not really games on pc i like that i cant get on console and it's more convenient to just pick up a controller and play on the bigger screen and chill.

Last edited:

Rayderism

The laptop I use has a 2070 MaxQ in it. As I understand it, there were two versions of it, and for what it's worth, mine has the faster version.

But I've relegated all modern gaming to consoles. I just use PC for legacy console emulation and older games.

Toots

Gold Member
After a long stint without a gaming pc (like 10 plus years), I had my work buy me a work from home pc with the max specs i could have with the market we have, which means geforce 3080 with a cpu takes goes like 10 something something with dual cores (i think :/ it could goi vroom vroom it would mean the same to me...). Supposedly a total unit. First thing i did was brought forza horizon 4 (the one in Mexico) and tried to go 4K everything on ultra but it was going like 20 fps so i had to scale down the thing to manage 60fps.
Then i bought cyberpunk 2077, and also tried to max everything, it was even worse. I then tried to put some mods on cyberpunk so i dl the nexus software to manage mods, and then i dl like 50 different mods and it made everything crash or laggy or with visual bugs... Just like George Saint-Pierre, I was unimpressed.

I then bought teardown and it was really fun.

Top Bottom