• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to 12 of gaming's biggest studios after they were sold

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I like how PC gamer mentions Sega but doesn't mention their best acquisition, Atlus.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I do not know if all theses “ studios get closed” is the proper term as a lot just got renamed and reformed to another studio.

and also this whole train of thought is flawed because it assumes continued success if these studios did not get bought.

Now make a list of all the studios that closed that were not bought... there were a lot

Last edited:
2161667-zFrTB.jpg

Just noticed that the "bioware" text on his head became "BIOWARE" when he saw the pile of corpses, nice little detail.

Tschumi

I remember reading an article about how good it was that Bethesda were owned by a non-gaming company in zenimax, it gave them a different creative motivation, lead directly to games like Morrowind... It'll unquestionably be a less distinctive company under Microsoft, i reckon, though whether or not that's a good thing is another question?

I can only hope that they go the way of Maxis... More or less

quest

Not Banned from OT
This has me wondering how Xbox's new studios will turn out under Microsoft's management
That will be up to each studio. Microsoft is just providing money and other support. The studios are free to take up games they want and if they succeed or fail it will be on them. The studios with strong leadership like playground, inexile, obsidian and ninja theory should flourish. Money and support to make games with out wasting time begging for money or cutting corners due budget.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
That will be up to each studio. Microsoft is just providing money and other support. The studios are free to take up games they want and if they succeed or fail it will be on them. The studios with strong leadership like playground, inexile, obsidian and ninja theory should flourish. Money and support to make games with out wasting time begging for money or cutting corners due budget.
I hope you're right and I hope they have someone checking in on the project's updates too

D.Final

Banned
I remember reading an article about how good it was that Bethesda were owned by a non-gaming company in zenimax, it gave them a different creative motivation, lead directly to games like Morrowind... It'll unquestionably be a less distinctive company under Microsoft, i reckon, though whether or not that's a good thing is another question?

I can only hope that they go the way of Maxis... More or less
Sims
The EA story

Top Bottom