• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What If…WHAT IF…NINTENDO GOES FULL …for this holiday!

With all the speculation about what Nintendo may or may not do for the second half of 2023. It got me thinking.

With all the rumors of new hardware, a new 2d Mario, Metroid Prime 4, Gamecube remasters, etc. What could they have for this holiday?

Secretly, I thought at the Nintendo event in September Nintendo would at the least mention the Switch successor. I thought that was a 100% lock, we get a teaser video like the Switch got back in October 2016 or a mention of the future. So this holiday could be light on releases.

Would Nintendo do that though? Leave that much money on the table?

What if instead of the Switch 2 video at the Nintendo event in September…Nintendo GOES FULL “WIZARD” and announces a HD remake of Super Mario Bros 3 for this holiday? Along with Prime 4 or Prime 2-3? A game for the casual and a game for the “core” audiences.

I actually could see them being this crazy. What would you all think if this happened?

Could this be a big deal in 2023? Is Mario 3 regarded as a big deal today?

I believe the next 3d Mario will be in the first year of Switch 2.

Full Wizard is mimicking the movie and show the game at the Nintendo Event in September. Nintendo plays on nostalgia (again) and releases One of their “Break glass, in case of emergency” games. Though, it isn’t an emergency.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Why would you be certain that Nintendo would release a new console while their current console is selling exceptionally well? What would be the logic behind that?

They clearly have something they’re sitting on or they would have tried to spread out their release calendar a little bit more with games they previously revealed.

Nintendo already said that Switch 2 isn't going to be released this current fiscal year. I think it will be announced around CES and released maybe April-May.

That being said they probably do have one more big game to come out this year.

Last edited:

Woopah

The event in September is a fan event, nothing more. The more important thing to watch out for is what they showed at Gamescon.

My prediction is

July - Pikmin 3
August - General Direct and shadow drop of F Zero GX remastered digitally (retail release to follow).
September - Kid Icarus Uprising Deluxe
October - Tomodachi Revolution
November -2D/3D Donkey Kong
December - Prime 4 shown at the Game Awards for a March 2024 release. Prime 2 and 3 dropped digitally

Yeah, what if something that isn't happening, happens?
But ALSO, what if something that is happening doesn't happen 🤔

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Another speculation thread leaning to 'Switch 2.' They'll throw a trailer out around Q4 if something's to come in 2024. Seems like everything else would indicate they're sticking to Switch this year. Then again, we can start with Switch 2 or 'Switch Pro' rumors like all relared threads prior to this...

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think they'll prob have Metroid Prime 4, a Mario game, a Sports Mario game, and Detective Pikachu 2. Maybe TotK DLC but I dunno how they would cram more content into it.

Gambit2483

What if... WHAT IF... I WET MY... for this holiday?
DIKw4Hh.gif

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
We'll still see some decent releases this year and I'm in after TotK. As someone said in a previous post, you'll likely not see a new Mario headline game until they really are ready for a new console. That's historically shown with previous Nintendo hardware releases; they always launched with a Mario title. Odyssey is still selling...so I don't see the rush since they released OLED

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Their software output sucks unless you enjoy just their IP. After the big releases we're left with nothing just like the GameCube, Wii, and WiiU before.

Great success doesn't mean it's a platform for everyone. I have 2, for my kids. I'm pert of the problem.

Woopah

We'll still see some decent releases this year and I'm in after TotK. As someone said in a previous post, you'll likely not see a new Mario headline game until they really are ready for a new console. That's historically shown with previous Nintendo hardware releases; they always launched with a Mario title. Odyssey is still selling...so I don't see the rush since they released OLED
Sometimes they launch with Mario, but many times they don't (3DS, Wii, Switch etc.)
Their software output sucks unless you enjoy just their IP. After the big releases we're left with nothing just like the GameCube, Wii, and WiiU before.

Great success doesn't mean it's a platform for everyone. I have 2, for my kids. I'm pert of the problem.
Wouldn't that always be the case for every publisher?

The gap between Nintendo releases on Switch is much better than those other systems, especially the Wii and Wii U and especially at this point of its life.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sometimes they launch with Mario, but many times they don't (3DS, Wii, Switch etc.)

Wouldn't that always be the case for every publisher?

The gap between Nintendo releases on Switch is much better than those other systems, especially the Wii and Wii U and especially at this point of its life.
I can agree with you in part. It's hard to ignore it missing all the major AAA multiplats though and I love the games for the kids like Captain Toad, Mario 3D, Mario Kart, Golf, and stuff like that is great for local MP. For most of my core needs, it's missing much like it was since maybe the mid Gamecube days.

I would like them to actually compete in HW and services because that's a whole other discussion.

Doom85

Nintendo are always the sleeping monster that you don't want to wake up.
They went from wii u to switch outselling PS4 like it was nothing.

That’s less a sleeping monster and more of, “okay, guys, let’s try to not fuck up so bad that even the Xbox One manages to outsell us”.

And they’re only 8 million ahead of PS4, that’s not a “monster” level lead.

Woopah

I can agree with you in part. It's hard to ignore it missing all the major AAA multiplats though and I love the games for the kids like Captain Toad, Mario 3D, Mario Kart, Golf, and stuff like that is great for local MP. For most of my core needs, it's missing much like it was since maybe the mid Gamecube days.

I would like them to actually compete in HW and services because that's a whole other discussion.
Ahhh I see you were talking about Switch's lineup as a whole, rather than Nintendo's specifically.

Yes while third party support for A and AA titles has improved a lot for Nintendo, the AAA support is still lacking.

This isn't so much sleeping monster, as opposed to being wildly inconsistent in designing desirable products and marketing them.
They've always made great games. But they seem to be utterly incapable of designing good hardware - at least since the GameCube.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Tbh, I kinda agree with OP. Nintendo knows that eventually they will need to announce the switch 2 but at the same time they are probably shitting their pants about messing with Switch sales. Currently, they are selling as much as or even outselling PS5 with potato hardware.

Trunx81

It would be hilarious if they pulled out a Mario Odyssey 2 or something.
They should just take the same game and add physics /s

And now serious: Nintendo hasn’t had that big of an output in the last 2 years. Can’t imagine that all teams were programming Zelda. So we can expect .. greatness.

Knightime_X

Nintendo could sell 400 trillion consoles.
If they don't have the games I want then what does it even matter?

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Way too late to announce a console right now and have it release by the end of the year I would think. You would want the console on shelves by mid October/Early November. Zelda is enough to carry them for quite a while. My thinking is they announce late August/early September for a March release. They will have their own lane, no Xbox or Sony for people to think about like they would during the Holiday. Whoever wanted those consoles got them that past Xmas. I think Nintendo just has to whether a bit of lull before the storm. Not much can be done about it, not like it's going to hurt them. Plus, if you tell people now a remastered Zelda is out for the new console, I think people would be pissed.

Last edited:
All I want from Nintendo are ports of old classics. 1. Wind Waker/Twighlight Princ HD 2. Mario Galaxy 2 3. Paper Mario TtYD 4. F zero gx 5. Metroid Prime 2

And waiting for OoT DS and Majoras Mask DS before I subscribe to NS0

93xfan

Banned
don’t know if Mario 3 is still a big deal, but it should be. It’s one of the greatest games of all time and holds up exceptionally well.

the only thing is you need to play the NES version. The SNES and GBA versions are bad imposters

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
It got me thinking.

Tell GIF by Grease Live

season 2 lol GIF by Shameless

Back on topic, yeah I guess they could announce the next device this year.
IIRC, they said they wouldn't release a new console this fiscal year but I presume that doesn't mean they can't announce it (to release next fiscal year).

Last edited:

cireza

Super Mario Bros 3
As good as SMB3 is, many of its stages are 10 seconds long. It would require a lot of work to make them decent nowadays. How about making a new 2D Mario game instead ? Play 3D Land, it is already pretty close to SMB3.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
This thread is weird. Nintendo aren't in the console race like Sony and Xbox are, they're doing what they want. Nintendo will continue to do so, and they aren't going to go full retard and put out a rushed line up as a show of power because they don't need to--they aren't in direct competition with anyone.

Top Bottom