• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if Sony was to acquire the Halo IP?

Robb

Gold Member
Makes no sense to me. I mean even though Infinite was a failure 20M players still went in to at least try it at the beginning. They screwed up greatly not managing to maintain those players, but to me it shows that the IP still has a huge draw.

They ‘just’ need to get things in order internally. Taking it away from 343 seems like a good start.

Thebonehead

Banned
I'd like to see naughty dog take on Mario.

As Luigi gets beaten to death by a butch peach, a plaintive "loooo eeee geeeeee" from Mario who then goes on a revenge mission.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Oooh, clearly if Sony git Halo it would be teh bestest game in teh universe on the bestest console ever played by the bestest fans ever. It would be sooooo good with 5k graphical graphics and dual senses controller for teh winnar! and teh Xbox and Nintendo SCUM could nevar play it again!!!!!!! I heard it IS coming ecksclusivlee to ps6 for the next year and Xbox is really mad about it!!!

Last edited:

RaySoft

A single player Halo campaign done by i.e. Santa Monica, would probably bring a more interesting take than anything done with the franchise the last decade. Think about it. Master Chief more humanized literally diving into the man behind the mask. You can draw clear parallels with Kratos in that regard. #Halo2018

Little Chicken

Gold Member
A single player Halo campaign done by i.e. Santa Monica, would probably bring a more interesting take than anything done with the franchise the last decade. Think about it. Master Chief more humanized literally diving into the man behind the mask. You can draw clear parallels with Kratos in that regard. #Halo2018

Do we really want that though? Can Santa Monica make FPS games well?

I don't the industry needs more melodramatic "cinematic experiences" right now.

RaySoft

Do we really want that though? Can Santa Monica make FPS games well?

I don't the industry needs more melodramatic "cinematic experiences" right now.
The FPS code wouldn't necessarily need touching at all since it's already done well enough. (They get the source code if they buy the franchise) Level design etc. isn't that far fetched from 3rd perspective anyways.
Further expanding/exploring a character is not necessarily synonymous with "cinematic experiences".

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Look what happened with God Of War, was dead and over done from the snorefest of GoW3, well I mean Ragnarök isn't great, but it's commercially successful and highly lauded.

Anything can happen to an IP.
It also depends heavily on how the fans take it.

If they love everything you throw at them no matter what it is, then you have an easier time compared to not having dedicated fanboys.

The end game product is important, but it's the followers who make it or break it.

Rac3r

Look what happened with God Of War, was dead and over done from the snorefest of GoW3, well I mean Ragnarök isn't great, but it's commercially successful and highly lauded.

Anything can happen to an IP.

GoW 3 was fantastic. You're probably thinking about Ascension which came out in 2013. Following Ascension, five years of development went into God of War (2018). Similarly, after Halo 5 Guardians, Halo Infinite went into development for 6 years. Both franchises went through reboots during this period.

343 themselves: "we are building what we internally refer to as a spiritual reboot".

Sure someone else could reboot it again, but at what cost? Halo is damaged goods.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
What if Microsoft was to acquire TLOU?

It ain't going to happen so there is no point even thinking about it. Microsoft would sooner scrap Halo and hold onto the rights than sell to anyone especially Sony. It's not like Microsoft is hurting for money and need to sell Halo.

anthony2690

Banned
stupid-so.gif

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Ofcourse! How dumb of me! THAT'S what was missing!!! A more humanized MC.

Not stuff like..

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Microsoft, I imagine, would rather shelve and bury Halo than sell the IP to Sony and watch as Sony managed to make a better game than Infinite and turn the IP into a movie and series that is both commercially and critically successful.

That said, I'm not sure who in the Sony portfolio of developers outside of Bungie that would be the right choice. I suppose if we want a Halo that is a 3rd person narrative driven experience with a litany of climbing sections and over reliance on squeezing through cracks.

Last edited:

sainraja

It also depends heavily on how the fans take it.

If they love everything you throw at them no matter what it is, then you have an easier time compared to not having dedicated fanboys.

The end game product is important, but it's the followers who make it or break it.
You are just being sad at this point. :D

If people actually like a game, despite whatever rationale you came up in your head as to why they won't, then it must be the fans who will "take anything thrown at them" instead of the game actually being good. You know, this must be hard, but maybe, just maybe....the game is actually good? That they just enjoyed it? God of War: R didn't reinvent anything but it's still a solid game.

Now, of-course, not everyone will like something, even if it there is nothing necessarily wrong with it. That is perfectly fine. Learn to live in the 'gray' instead of focusing on just black and white.

Oh I forgot, you are responding to a comment about a Sony game, so I should throw reason out the window. I mean, we get it, you don't like Sony or their games. You couldn't say it loud enough.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Interesting discussion? Good joke OP.
Why the hell would Sony want a dying IP? Moreover why would they want one synonymous with their rivals platform?
No a more interesting prospect would be Sony buying the MGS IP, or hell buying Tomb Raider from Embracer. See these games have history with Playstation, they actually make sense as purchases…

Microsoft, I imagine, would rather shelve and bury Halo than sell the IP to Sony and watch as Sony managed to make a better game than Infinite and turn the IP into a movie and series that is both commercially and critically successful.

That said, I'm not sure who in the Sony portfolio of developers outside of Bungie that would be the right choice. I suppose if we want a Halo that is a 3rd person narrative driven experience with a litany of climbing sections and over reliance on squeezing through cracks.
I would prefer Sony got the rights to Metal Gear Solid and Solid Snake and did this, instead of Halo and Master Chief

Last edited:

yurinka

Why would Sony want to buy it when they have multiple IPs currently more relevant and popular? And why would MS Halo sell their most iconic game IP?

Even inside shooters, Sony has Destiny and is working on new IPs from from Bungie, Firewalk, Deviation or Arrowhead among others. Plus the best performing shooters are now multiplatform and have PS as their main platform.

Last edited:
Top Bottom