• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if Sony was to acquire the Halo IP?

well hey Bungie are recruiting... But I'm not implying it has anything to do with Halo. On a serious note as much as many will think this thread is dumb, I truly hope those that found themselves out of work find something asap and are fulfilled in what they end up doing. ❤️

Sony is hiring like crazy right now. If anyone has talent and Microsoft let them go, they'll have a job by the end of the month... Bluepoint and Bungie are already trying to pick up people who have been let go.

Ultimately the decision to do layoffs across XGS is shortsighted. Tells consumers you have no faith in your own studios and their games. So why should anyone buy an Xbox right now?

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The only way Halo goes on Playstation is if the franchise must be made solely by 343 and funded by Sony. 😂😂😂 I hope Halo IP is put in the freezer. When the next gen starts, Xbox should start that gen with a game called Halo that storywise follows on from Halo 3 (ignoring 343 efforts) that like God of War 2018 restarts the name for the casual fans.

Also I hope we all know the Halo to Sony thing must be a joke. I'll be worried if anyone gives this oxygen

The only way Halo goes on Playstation is if the franchise must be made solely by 343 and funded by Sony. 😂😂😂 I hope Halo IP is put in the freezer. When the next gen starts, Xbox should start that gen with a game called Halo that storywise follows on from Halo 3 (ignoring 343 efforts) that like God of War 2018 restarts the name for the casual fans.

Also I hope we all know the Halo to Sony thing must be a joke. I'll be worried if anyone gives this oxygen

Microsoft can't afford to put Halo on ice... they don't have anything else to sell hardware. Just the idea of that would sow XSX/S sales let alone a future console.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Microsoft can't afford to put Halo on ice... they don't have anything else to sell hardware. Just the idea of that would sow XSX/S sales let alone a future console.
It's the only way to save Halo. You need a gap from the fuck up of Infinite. How can I miss you when you never leave?

Azurro

Banned
What if I marry Margot Robbie? The likelyhood of that happening is about the same as MS selling Halo to Sony.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
God of War 2018 came only 5 years after the release of God of War Ascension
Yes, but Infinite has the 10 year plan so in theory it should overlap with a new release five years after Infinite. It needs to be shut off soon. Complete break of new Halo Infinite news/seasons as absence makes the heart grow fonder. It sounds sharp but if you want to protect the IP, do that. Otherwise let it limp along

Reaction threads and GAF are like hot sauce and their balls. Goes so well together.

Microsoft might as well ask the SOCOM, Resistance or Killzone IP from Sony in this context.

MikeM

Would be amazing most likely. Be some legit character development.

- MC finds Cortana but she is dying.
- Cortana says there is an ancient forerunner machine that can transform synthetic life into organic life. Only way to save her.
- MC and Cortana find the machine. Place Cortana in it.
- Human Cortana comes out. They escape to a distant planet to live together/bang eachother.
- Cortana has baby. MC continues to work on being more real human and less robotic in nature.

Etc…

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Cortana: You’ve taken down that Covenant Elite’s Shield, Chief! Now press Triangle to perform a cinematic finisher!

Master Chief: Hmmm if I can just push this block I might be able to reach that switch, which will trigger that door!

Cortana: Hey Chief! Try pushing that block to reach that Switch!

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Ofcourse! How dumb of me! THAT'S what was missing!!! A more humanized MC.

Not stuff like..

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Friendly reminder.

It was a one and done.

Elios83

Lol why would Microsoft sell the IP and to Sony:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

The issue with Halo is that 343i wasn't a properly managed team and probably they have never been up to the task. The restructing needed to be done before Halo Infinite instead of hoping that with the next game things would go differently.
Now they need to decide what they want to do with the IP, they might also be open to let an external team develop it? Hopefully not Crystal Dynamics :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Pretty sure Sony will suggest the idea of Bungie doing a "spiritual successor" to Halo or Marathon, whilst keeping the Destiny gravy train rolling.

EDMIX

I'm not even trying to be mean, but that IP simply isn't worth what it used to be and MS ran it into the ground.

Why would Sony even want to buy such an IP when they move on from IP they own themselves that under perform? Oh but they'll buy an IP that failed under the direction of its original publisher?

Unlikely.

If Bungie wants to focus on Destiny and a new IP, I see Sony letting them do just like that all their other teams before them. Time marches forward and its one of the things I love about Sony and Ubisoft, new IP, new IP, new IP.

Some times, its time to move on...

edit. even looking at the IP Sony have now, Horizon Zero Dawn moved something fucking insane like 20 plus million units, that 1 game moved almost as much as the entire fucking Halo SERIES, which means they already have IP far larger that are currently relevant, Spiderman moving 33 million is even more fucking insane as 2 games pretty much moved the total of the entire Halo IP....

Halo might be a big name culturally, but its no longer worth it in the big AAA space. Its like saying Star Fox is a known name sure, how much did that shit help Star Fox Zero? Knowing of an IP is not the same thing as its value to consumers and generally the sales will show how much real value consumers have on such IP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom