• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if Switch 2 is not BC with Switch 1. Hypothetically.

If Switch 2 is not backwards compatible would it affect your buying decisions?

• 1.) It makes no difference, I will purchase.

Votes: 51 26.7%
  • 2.) Nintendo will anger me, and I will not be purchasing

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • 3.) Honestly, depends on Software, pricing, and if they "Re-release" big Switch titles as 4k edition

Votes: 59 30.9%

• Total voters

cireza

Banned
While the Wii-U was a sales failure, its BC with Wii was not, all digital games carried over, it was compatible with disc games, Wii cotrollers and accessories were compatible. (You could even buy some full Wii games digitally on the e-shop).
This is what I meant. The Wii U was super respectful of the players and previous purchases, as well as having many nice services/features, like the Miiverse, manuals ec... Switch threw everything away. As well as being poor quality and barely a technical upgrade.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Who suggested that? The discussion was about Nintendo community buying anything and everything Nintendo, regardless of anything, affirmation that is not true.
While that isn't true, doesn't mean they don't buy "shit weak hardware" because they absolutely do. The power of the hardware in and of itself has always been irrelevant.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
it would suck for sure but nintendo still makes the best games so even if they made a game for a casio calculator i would have to buy a calculator.

Last edited:

RCU005

Nintendo has launched practically every console 5 years apart. I think the only exception has been the Wii U which was 6 years from the Wii. However, most consoles have not been as successful as the Switch by the time they release the new console. This is the first time a Nintendo console continues to sell so well 5 years later. Will they wait this time? How will the weight the success vs the outdated specs?

Then, practically every console has been different, will Nintendo treat the new console as a home console and do something different, or will they treat it as a GameBoy and do a new iteration?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Knowing greedy Nintendo they will make you buy all the games again.
Greedy Nintendo?
D3Y8t4eUIAE1-tW.jpg

Gameboy - BC with your stick drawings.
Gameboy Color - BC with Gameboy.
Gameboy Advance - BC with Gameboy and Gameboy Color.
Dual Screen - BC with GBA.
N3DS - BC with NDS.
Wii - BC with Gamecube
WiiU - BC with Wii
Switch - Doesnt have a disk drive.

If I was a betting man, I would assume the Super Switch would be Backwards Compatible with the Switch.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Wasn't your entire point that the Nintendo community would not buy "weak shit" without BC like the PS4. Maybe I misunderstood.
There is no weak hardware from Nintendo without BC. Wii and WiiU had, Switch is not weak for a 2017 handheld. So, so far, they didn't buy.
While that isn't true, doesn't mean they don't buy "shit weak hardware" because they absolutely do. The power of the hardware in and of itself has always been irrelevant.
No one said they don't buy weak hardware. See the Wii.

Last edited:

Banned
it would be a really shitty move.
but it wouldn't affect me that much honestly as I barely have any games on Switch, only the big Nintendo releases basically.

but it would of course suck for the sole reason that we can't just get a performance boost for some of these games by playing it on the new system.

games like Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild etc. have both dynamic resolutions and don't run flawlessly at their target frsmerates on the current Switch, so having a free upgrade that stabilises both resolution and framerates to their limit would be cool.

Banned
Every modern Nintendo console from the GameCube on has been BC to the last.

The Wii U technically even 2 generations down if you softmod it.

they sadly cheaped out on a compatible disc drive and couldn't be bothered to translate GC controller inputs to the classic controller to make it work out of the box.

but the hardware can run GameCube natively... I mean of course it can, it runs Wii games and the Wii is just a pimped up GameCube

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
i hope its not bc because the switch 1 already held back the switch 1 enough and we dont need the switch 1 holding back the switch 2
Thats not how that works.
Thats not how anything works.

The Xbox 360 being BC with OG Xbox didnt hold back the X360
The PS3 being BC with the PS2 didnt hold back the PS3.
The Xbox 1 being BC with the Xbox 360 didnt hold back the XB1
The Series X being BC with XB1 didnt hold back the Series X

Topher

Gold Member
There is no weak hardware from Nintendo without BC. Wii and WiiU had, Switch is not weak for a 2017 handheld. So, so far, they didn't buy.

Which goes right back to the point I previously made.

While that is true, the popularity of Wii wasn't due to power or BC. Just as lack of power wasn't the reason the Wii U failed despite having BC. Suggesting the "Nintendo community" has power in mind when they buy Nintendo consoles is simply false.

i'll be pissed but i'll probably still buy a Switch 2 and if they re-release the likes of BOTW/TOTK etc then i'll buy them again.

there's no reason they can't let a future console run Switch games.

Lasha

I think it may very well happen, with Nintendo dumping the cartridge slot like they did on DS Lite.

Digital buyers will be safer if bc happens.

I'd like the opposite tbh. Keep the switch as a portable and use cartridges for the follow up. The cartridge could contain the portable version and act as the DRM for a digital home console version downloaded from the eShop.

Topher

Gold Member
The reasons why they bought don't matter, yes.

Don't necessarily agree with that, but I will agree that, in regards to the original post you responded to, it seems obvious that the Wii U shows the Nintendo community will not necessarily buy "everything and anything" from Nintendo. Nintendo, over the years, has had as many peaks and valleys as anyone.

Three

That the Nintendo community do not buy every weak shit they put on the market (WiiU), unlike for example, the PS community that bought 110+mi shitty Jaguars.
Wait. Wasn't the PS4 the most powerful console? So wasn't that community buying the strongest and the other "communities" were buying the weak stuff bar Pc?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I don’t see them having bc in it at all. They would need to retain the same form factor for the cards and I just don’t see that happening. Maybe for the digital stuff. Maybe

Wait. Wasn't the PS4 the most powerful console? So wasn't that community buying the strongest and the other "communities" were buying the weak stuff bar Pc?
The PS4 was a good system when it launched.

Unfortunately the way it works with consoles is that by the time a generation ends the technology is ancient compared to PC.
Companies like Nvidia and AMD launch new more powerful chips every year.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It was shit weak hardware even in 2017, so yes rly.

I agree. I want at least Series S power on the next Switch.

People think this isn't possible, but Nintendo absolutely have the resources to make this not only a reality, but one that's also affordable as well. No more fisher-price consoles please, Nintendo.

Neff

If they don't they'll have a problem unless the Switch 2 has some gold dust must-have gimmick.

Nintendo had the comfy advantage of being able to port the Wii U's undervalued catalogue to the Switch for a new audience, and they won't have that luxury again as far as the public is concerned. Being able to play old games will go a long way towards filling that gap.

They really need BC imo. They've had the comeback of the decade with Switch and starting over again would throw a lot of that good work away.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I expect it to be BC based on Nintendo's past, as Black_Stride Black_Stride pointed out above.

Having said that, as I've been doing since the NES released, I'll get it day one if I at all can. (stupid Wii, broke my streak of day one Nintendo system acquisitions)

Griffon

unless they go for x86 for switch 2, I think is very unlikely
An AMD APU (like on the deck) is very much on the cards. Hell, they could also use a Qualcomm chip if they want some ARM, those could be a good fit too.

I'd say it's more likely they stick with Nvidia and keep it compatible, but it's not an 100% sure deal.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've got a massive library of Switch games I'm working through playing. If the Switch 2 is backwards compatible, it's a day one purchase for me and I'll be really happy (especially if it plays the BC games with better resolution, faster loading, etc.). If it's not backwards compatible, then I'm going to probably hold off buying one until there is a killer game I want to play that's exclusive (BotW2 ain't it) or until I work through my current backlog of stuff.

Recently Miyamoto said that backwards compatibility is easier than ever before, but the headline is a bit misleading. He also said they wouldn't be focusing on backwards compatibility with the new hardware. But he also didn't say it wouldn't be included. So - it's anyone's guess how this all shakes out, but I imagine if the next Switch isn't compatible with existing hardware they've got another WiiU on their hands.

It would be best for them NOT to have backwards compatibility as the Switch store is chock full of cellphone garbage. they could start over with a new store and focus on better 'class' of games.
Classy.
I vote they go with an AMD solution to match the Deck.

It would be best for them NOT to have backwards compatibility as the Switch store is chock full of cellphone garbage. they could start over with a new store and focus on better 'class' of games.
Classy.
I vote they go with an AMD solution to match the Deck.
You know, sony has quietly stated they want "quality over quantity" in the PSN store. Which I find interesting.

I have always wondered if there is a more financially lucrative opportunity to have far FEWER games, but almost everything is EVERGREEN with the old school Nintendo Seal of Quality.

For example, maybe you only get one or two Fifa, NBA 2k releases per generation, and in between those releases, people have the option of paying for content updates after the first year, etc. Sell more copies. But the quality would have to be much higher at launch. No more "half baked" launches that so many Switch games suffer from.

Animal Crossing would have a fun generations worth of content annually. Same with Mario Kart 9 or Nintendo Kart or whatever is next.

Have older games like Goldeneye remastered have content and events for the whole generation, as well as new shooters like Splatoon 3 or the eventual Splatoon 4. This thought in my mind would make Nintendo lean into e-sports. Which they appear VERY RELUCTANT to do.

I wonder if this would be more financially lucrative?

Last edited:

20cent

Banned
Sony made a BC console yet consoomers still buy the updated version so I wouldn't worry about that knowing Nintendo fans.

They already resold all their Wii U games to switch owners, i bet they can go for the triple whammy and sell all the switch games to switch U owners

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I can't imagine. But if so it'll need some great games for me to even reconsider buying one. Playing docked only so perhaps I'll just emulate at some point. Joycons are a joke.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

You’ve got to understand the Nintendo community (I own an oled switch), they will buy anything and everything Nintendo, regardless of anything. Quadruple dip on Mario? Quintuple dip and Pokémon? Zelda part 5? No backwards compatibility? Iphone 3 processor? 340p? Sign me up!

*no, I do t think it matters
this right here is why nintendo just rehashes the same games over and over and then just releases new colors of systems

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nintendo have said over and over again, even before Switch came out, that they wanted their next systems to keep the same userbase without having to start all over again each generation for which BC (and the current account system) is a priority in the long terms, I don't think we should be afraid of that.

This is what I meant. The Wii U was super respectful of the players and previous purchases, as well as having many nice services/features, like the Miiverse, manuals ec... Switch threw everything away. As well as being poor quality and barely a technical upgrade.
You're right, they should have made the Switch with another PPC CPU, hell, even the same GC CPU they used in the Wii U with just 3 more cores and call it a day so they don't have to port over any game, even if they did have another home console failure, not our problem...

Or better, they should make ports free even if they cost to adapt to a whole new platform... Hell even much better: Every one should allow us to buy one and download on all platforms (PS, Xbox, etc.) since it's the same game, it's not our problem they had to put resources to make the ports :O

Some just want unrealistic things to be the norm lol

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Personally, I am very satisfied and very happy with what Nintendo Switch did.

I would buy it without a doubt, if it continues with the same philosophy that made Nintendo Switch great, mature catalog, massive support from companies, region free.

cireza

Banned
You're right, they should have made the Switch with another PPC CPU, hell, even the same GC CPU they used in the Wii U with just 3 more cores and call it a day so they don't have to port over any game, even if they did have another home console failure, not our problem...

Or better, they should make ports free even if they cost to adapt to a whole new platform... Hell even much better: Every one should allow us to buy one and download on all platforms (PS, Xbox, etc.) since it's the same game, it's not our problem they had to put resources to make the ports :O

Some just want unrealistic things to be the norm lol
Yes ? Maybe ? Why not ?

They changed the CPU but what's the gain when Bayonetta 3 is uglier than Bayonetta 2 ? Switch is the very incarnation of "diminishing returns".

Nobody is asking for free ports. Ports suck and should not exist. There is BC for this, and it should be a given. We got fantastic BC for free on Xbox. Wii U was BC with Wii and even GC... Cross platform should be a given. These are services that should be provided for people who paid to enter your ecosystem.

Maybe you should have better standards as a customer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom