• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if Switch Pro had RTX? An Experiment.

7b3.png

Dampf

What about cost. What about power. What about thermal load. You proved jack shit.
Cost? Nvidia will be subventioning the hell out of this thing for Nintendo as its in their own interest to boost the RTX ecosystem. Thermal load and power draw is perfectly fine, as I demonstrated earlier.

This will be going from 20nm from the OG Switch to 8nm or 5nm process node. This will using DLSS, which needs a completely new SOC. Even if they go with the oldest possible possibility (2018 from 2021 is actually older than 2015 to 2017 with the OG Switch) that would be a Turing custom chip which automatically integrates RT cores as well.

You will need to adjust to the fact that the Switch Pro is going to kick butts.

I don't think people understand the power needed to drive games with RT enabled. I'm pulling 350Watts on my 3090 right now. That's not gonna happen on a mobile platform for at least another 15-20 years.

So? My RTX 2060 laptop just consumes around 30 watts while doing the theoretical handheld specs experiment in the OT (720p with DLSS 410p and RT), and the voltage is not even adjusted as its running at full voltage. If I would adjust the voltage correctly in line with the 350 MHz clock, power consumption would be around 8-12 watts which would put it right in handheld territory. Then add the fact that the SoC will be built on either 8nm or 5nm process node which decreases power consumption even further.

It definately is more than possible, which I proved with my OT.

recursive

YEmXyPz.png

This is what it could look like.

What you see here is Control running on my RTX 2060 laptop at 720p using DLSS Balanced (which is just 410p). However, to simulate theoretical Switch Pro performance, I downclocked the hell out of this thing. It is basically just a former shadow of itself now! At 375 MHz, the theoretical raw output of my 2060 is now around 1.4 TFLOPs which is absolutely in the realm of possibility for an actively cooled handheld, especially when using more efficient 8nm or 5nm process node. Of course, memory bandwidth is also heavily downclocked to a sad 810 MHz, which puts it around 150 GB/s. Admittedly that does seem a bit much, the real Switch Pro would likely have around 100 GB/s or less. Still it is pretty close to that and we have to remember with the real Switch Pro, they should be able to get more juice out as it's a closed system so developers can work closer to the metal here and the possibility the system could use the Ampere architecture which allows DLSS to run concurrently to RT+Shading to get a few more frames, as well as using lower RT settings than on PC for saving further rendertime similar to Xbox and PS5.

I think this experiment shows nicely that demanding RT like Control in a handheld when leveraging RT and tensor cores is not only possible but also more than playable and enjoyable. Nintendo could actually be the first to deliver this demanding state of the art tech (talking about real time RT in games of course) to the mobile sector. Let that sink in for a moment. Now you're playing with power!

Not to mention that with Raytracing, Nintendo being Nintendo, they would use this technology to its full potential. With Raytracing, entirely fresh gameplay mechanics would be possible. And with tensor cores they could also utilize them to power AI and more in their next games. The possibilities are nearly endless!

For Nvidia, this also makes sense as, provided third party support is good, would allow them to get DLSS and RTX into more games on the PC as well. I can already imagine Jensen going nuts with the marketing like RT on the go thanks to our technologies, unbelievable, extraordinary etc etc.

Honestly, it just makes sense to get the entire RTX ecosystem into one of the most valuable and most selling platforms. Exciting times ahead!
I dont think I saw anything about framerate. What is your framerate here?

DESTROYA

Fuck RTX and Fuck RTX even harder for the Switch.
If anything I want a performance increase not shinier lighting and reflections.
Bad idea. RTX would add nothing to gameplay but a increase in performance would be ideal across the board .

Top Bottom