• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if the rumored PS5 with a detachable disc drive...

DaGwaphics

What the hell are you on about.

They can read cd and dbds perfectly fine. Any hardware that can run blu Ray can read the previous generations of discs.

Not the other way around.

Edit - someone has already called you out.

What made you think they cant read CD's or dvds?

I too thought they had removed the diode for audio CDs on the PS4 as a cost cutting move.

AGRacing

Gold Member
... allows to swap between two different disc drives, one for PS4 and PS5 games and another one for PS1, PS2, PS3 disks and CD audio / dvd?
Of course the title played from the disc will not have access to features available behind the subscriptions tiers (save state, graphical improvements etc).
It would be cool to use our original disks and could be a way to solve the backward compatibility and preservation issue PS has (at least for PS1 and PS2 games until an official PS3 emulator will be released).

What do you think?

EDIT:
added rumors link
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/tom-...-for-2023-with-detachable-disc-drive.1641649/
YES. I would buy that.

sigrad

the times when people thought having a dozen hardware accessories to their hardware accessory is cool are over, I think.
They have been for a while. Sega CD, 32X, Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive, and every OG Nintendo peripherals, all 100 of them.

DaGwaphics

If they introduce an option to attach a disk drive to the digital model, I think that's more a sign that they will move to the DE as the only model available. Users that wanted the drive could then buy it separately if they wanted. If there is anything to the rumor it will probably come to pass when a slim was introduced.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

not gonna happen donald trump GIF by Election 2016

fart town usa

Gold Member
Reminds me of something during the early PS2 days.

I think it was IGN, but some outlet used to do jokes under the name of developer Sloof Lirpa (April Fools). One of them said that Sony was making a detachable PS2 drive that would connect with the PSX, lol.

There was also an article written that showed Tony Hawk Pro Skater models within FF8. I think they also did the RE2 prank, that if you reached the end in Scenario B, when you punch in the code into the computer, if you typed 'Akuma' the game would then allow you to play as Akuma from SF. My buddy fell for that one.

Fun times, I bet those old articles are still around somewhere.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Hope one is a HD dvd Bring back the red boxes!

Last edited:

Crayon

Eh no. The purpose of a detachable disk drive would be to add value to the digital version. It's easier to pocket a hundred bucks and go with the digital when you know you have teh option in the future. Most people won't get the drive but it's nice peace of mind to know you can upgrade if you change your mind down the road. When $500 ps5 sales slow down, they are gong to shift production towards the $400 one and be slaying for days.

Miles708

... allows to swap between two different disc drives, one for PS4 and PS5 games and another one for PS1, PS2, PS3 disks and CD audio / dvd?
Of course the title played from the disc will not have access to features available behind the subscriptions tiers (save state, graphical improvements etc).
It would be cool to use our original disks and could be a way to solve the backward compatibility and preservation issue PS has (at least for PS1 and PS2 games until an official PS3 emulator will be released).

What do you think?

EDIT:
added rumors link
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/tom-...-for-2023-with-detachable-disc-drive.1641649/

I would buy that right now.
And i mean right now!

Some ideas should be kept to yourself
Also some useless comments like yours. If you haven't noticed, we are in a forum where people could open and discuss freely about a topic. You are not forced to participate or comment on something you don't like. But if you have to, you have to remember to respect others opinions/ideas/whatever. It's time to grow up.

Might as well go crazy an release a drive that includes all the OG PS3 hardware. I would buy it for $300.

Last edited:

BlackTron

The problem with backwards compatibility is not the disk drive. This is a drastic idea to solve a non-issue that doesn't exist. Sony does not have BC for different reasons, the disk drive is a joke of a barrier.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That would be crazy and a sign sony is not abandoning physical.
One would hope but we know physical is sadly dying and sony can't wait to abandon it

Last edited:
If true, this is edging closer to an all-digital future. PS6 would not come with a drive by default.
If true, I'm out. Among many other reasons, I would never buy games that I can't sell if I don't like them (or if I'm just finished and have no intention of replaying them).

If true, this is edging closer to an all-digital future. PS6 would not come with a drive by default.

That might be the future, but there's more than enough reason companies will prevent that.

If they go all digital, they open themselves to have to allow competitor stores on their platforms.

We're going to see what happens in courts with Apple and if they're forced to allow 3rd party app stores on iOS.

DaGwaphics

That would be crazy and a sign sony is not abandoning physical.
One would hope but we know physical is sadly dying and sony can't wait to abandon it

I'd actually look at this as the first step in them killing physical, honestly.

By decoupling the drive from the base unit they will lower the number of players with a disk drive, which will lower disk sales and so on. This is just the careful way to do it without getting a lot of negative press about it, because the disk drive will technically still be available.

With that said, it will essentially be a price cut on the PS5 since the DE model would no longer be that mythical unit that gets released in such sparse numbers. Hopefully it brings along a less fugly slim unit as well.

Top Bottom