• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What In-Game "Settings" Do You Always Change/Toggle (eg Motion Blur)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
refresh rate locked at 30

Clint Eastwood Coffee GIF

Rayderism

I always turn off chromatic aberration and film grain when a game lets me. Motion blur gets turned down to a minimal setting in most games that are 30fps, and off when they are 60fps or better.

I remember back when it was popular, I always turned off bloom. I used to call it "cataracts vision" mode.

Lens flares is another I would turn off, if given a choice.

Oh, and vignette effects get turned off too.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Film grain is absolutely cancerous. Fuck artist's intent, if you're an artist and you believe your work should be viewed with a film grain, then you don't know how to present your art. Shit gets turned off immediately, 100% of the time.
Agreed these days. Film grain only had a point back in the days of SH when it actually hid some of the outdated environments and served to make things grungier and scarier. These days? Off every time. Same with motion blur. Other than that, increase FOV and I'm good to go.

I don't actually understand what chromatic aberration does. Looks like I need to look into it if every gafer turns it off line the above.

Last edited:

Kadve

Lens Flares: Off - Cause why the hell would you want to digitally recreate a camera glitch?
Motion Blur: Off - same as above
Depth of field: Off - A game doesn't look good because everything looks blurry
Bloom: Off - Because its mostly just distracting and doesn't add anything visually
HDR (Fake or real): Off - I have never understood the appeal of it. Makes my (very light sensitive) eyes hurt.
Crosshairs: On - Because i don't care if your game is more "realistic" without them.
Head bobbing: Off - Same as above

And if you want my opinion when it comes to emulators: I always use 4x scaling, 16:9 stretching and some HQ Filters. As I'm not the kind of guy who cares if a game looks "authentic".

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I usually don't mess with the settings. Console games usually don't let you change much and I don't play on PC any more.

tygertrip

Not much really.
I like motion blur and I think it's deniers are nuts. You need like 240hz/fps to have no need for motion blur
Damn rofif... one day you say you 30 fps is more than anyone will ever need, and the next day you say nothing less than 240 fps will do for you. Make up your mind! 😜😜😜😜

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I usually don't mess with the settings. Console games usually don't let you change much and I don't play on PC any more.

Scorn is a new example where, imo, the motion blur is too excessive, just feels like the entire viewpoint is smearing when turning the camera.

YukiOnna

Motion Blur: Off
VSync: Off
Film Grain: 0 - Probably one of the most baffling inclusions of a setting.
Shadows: Medium or Low
Post Processing Effects: Low or Off - More shit on the screen isn't going to help my play experience.

Pimpbaa

Only HDR settings (which you have to for it look best on your tv), change to performance mode, and invert Y.

Chromatic aberration, I don't know why this is used it just makes it look like they are trying to hide flaws in other areas, same with film grain. Why ask people to pay for a machine that can theoretically do 4K, work your ass off to make the game look as good as possible and then do everything you can to degrade the image? Chromatic aberration is a flaw it's not something that should be done on purpose IMO.

Motion blur is another that I'd like the option to turn off

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Chromatic Abberation - Off
Film Grain - Lowest amount or Off
Depth of Field - Lowest amount or Off
Motion Blur - Lowest amount or Off
Vignette - Off
Subs - Off

Of course there are exceptions for Depth of Field and Motion Blur. I like DoF in DOOM Eternal and the Motion Blur in FH5.

Last edited:

D-ray

Probably the resolution to make the game lag the less possible.
Other than probably some keys or buttons.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Chromatic aberration and motion blur are always going away. I don't mind the film grain or similar filters if they make the game look cooler and more atmospheric.

Sakura

Aside from the normal stuff like motion blur, I usually turn off AA because I find it just makes the image blurrier at the cost of performance.
I'm sure there are better forms of AA out there, but lots of games I play don't use them.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Inverted view on any axis. Going back to old games where this wasn’t an option is an exercise in tempting madness.

I rarely fumble with graphical options.

20cent

Banned
Used to always invert Y for years until both ways felt weird in a game I don't remember, then kept the standard settings in any other games since.

none usually

the artists shipped it the way it should look
The other day I started an older game and it started as a small 720p window at the top left of my 4k monitor.

I guess that's how it's meant to be.

Back on topic:

I usually remove the motion blur, mostly because I don't have an OLED monitor so I get built in motion blur 🥳.

I rarely touch the other effects of that nature as they don't annoy me.

I always adjust resolution.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Motion blur, Chromatic aberration, film grain.
These are not artistic effects, they are just crap smothered on our screens.

Depending of the game and how it uses it: Depth of field, lens flares.
Lol. Every digital film you watched in cinemas the last twenty years uses post effect film grain. It def is an artistic effect.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Scorn is a new example where, imo, the motion blur is too excessive, just feels like the entire viewpoint is smearing when turning the camera.
It's rare that motion blur is ever used well, at least n my experience. I feel like driving or flying games are just about the only games where it's practical.

darrylgorn

This is probably the biggest reason I can't play console games. I can't imagine how many people have been playing games with motion blur, depth of field, vignette, bloom, volumetric fog, chromatic aberration and film grain forced on them.

These are all hideously gross effects that usually add nothing to the experience.

Nevermind the fact that some games force a specific resolution and framerate.

Why would you do that to yourself?

Last edited:
This is probably the biggest reason I can't play console games. I can't imagine how many people have been playing games with motion blur, depth of field, vignette, bloom, volumetric fog, chromatic aberration and film grain forced on them.

These are all hideously gross effects that usually add nothing to the experience.

Nevermind the fact that some games force a specific resolution and framerate.

Why would you do that to yourself?
Probably because not everyone wants to pay 800 euro for a GPU. PC gaming is not becoming any more accessible these last few years.

Roberts

I actually like all these post-processing effects. And if the developer has put them into the game, they probably have a good reason. And even when they don't, I still like the look better than a crystal clear image.
I used to work with photoediting and have spent quite a lot of time editing chromatic abberation out of images. Maybe that experience damaged me, but I really don't like this effect, I find it weird that people would add it to their games in the first place.
It's funny you say this. I personally know quite a few filmmakers (who work in film and advertising) who often choose old anamorphic lenses so that they actually get ca on the image. Obviously, it is not for every project, but sometimes I can help the image.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Film grain is absolutely cancerous. Fuck artist's intent, if you're an artist and you believe your work should be viewed with a film grain, then you don't know how to present your art. Shit gets turned off immediately, 100% of the time.
You simply have zero artistic integrity.

Reallink

Motion Blur, Vignette, CA, Film Grain, no idea why developers always pile that shit on. If I wanted my TV to look like it's defective, I'd have bought the $200 Black Friday Special at Walmart.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Motion Blur, CA, and Depth Of Field all gotta go. Sometimes I even turn off TAA if I'm playing at 4K.

I always turn off chromatic aberration and film grain when a game lets me. Motion blur gets turned down to a minimal setting in most games that are 30fps, and off when they are 60fps or better.

I remember back when it was popular, I always turned off bloom. I used to call it "cataracts vision" mode.

Lens flares is another I would turn off, if given a choice.

Oh, and vignette effects get turned off too.

Motion Blur, Vignette, CA, Film Grain, no idea why developers always pile that shit on. If I wanted my TV to look like it's defective, I'd have bought the $200 Black Friday Special at Walmart.
Good lord.

This many people turning off things like depth of field, film grain, and chromatic aberration.. lol

So what, y'all look at these images below and say OH MY GOD THE FILM GRAIN! THE CHROMATIC ABERRATION1 THE DEPTH OF FIELD TURN IT OFFFF! MY EYES SUCH FILTH

FcCzdHgWAAEgI3A

FcCzdHjWYAAkSLH

These images have all 3 + motion blur when you view it in motion.

Like what the fuck? :| This looks unwatchable to you guys?

Post processing is part of the editing process when it comes to photos. Its part of post production in film. And it is part of game development.

Last edited:

Reallink

Good lord.

This many people turning off things like depth of field, film grain, and chromatic aberration.. lol

So what, y'all look at these images below and say OH MY GOD THE FILM GRAIN! THE CHROMATIC ABERRATION1 THE DEPTH OF FIELD TURN IT OFFFF! MY EYES SUCH FILTH

FcCzdHgWAAEgI3A

FcCzdHjWYAAkSLH

These images have all 3 + motion blur when you view it in motion.

Like what the fuck? :| This looks unwatchable to you guys?

Post processing is part of the editing process when it comes to photos. Its part of post production in film. And it is part of game development.

It looks like shit in everything, minimally processed pristine video content like all the HDR 4K/8K TV demo videos on Youtube look infinitely superior to every Hollywood production.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Film Grain and Chromatic Aberration have to go. (Apart from Alien Isolation where the Chromatic Aberration actually suits it).

I aactually like some games implementation of per object motion blur. This isn't a game where I turn it off every time.

Top Bottom