• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What In-Game "Settings" Do You Always Change/Toggle (eg Motion Blur)

I know there are multiple implementation types of motion blur...360 generation it would blur the entire frame and these days per object motion blur is common. I'm not sure why 30fps Prey's motion blur put me in vomit mode while TLoU2's didn't but I still look for the setting in every first person game.

Also, I recently got a 165hz monitor and sometimes I'll drop the fps somewhere between 60 and 120 depending on the game so the GPU doesn't sound like a helicopter, possibly lower it's lifespan, or set on fire from pushing it's limits.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
It looks like shit in everything, minimally processed pristine video content like all the HDR 4K/8K TV demo videos on Youtube look infinitely superior to every Hollywood production.
Alright this is how I know you guys just lack any sense of artistic vision or integrity. Thanks

Not everything is supposed to look clean and pristine. lol. Things like film grain, chromatic aberration, etc help to set the tone and mood of the image.

FeKuCGqWAAYvSQF

Last edited:

Rippa

I just invert Y-axis and toggle camera speed a few clicks down. Also if there’s a “dynamic hud” option I tend to go with that to make the game more cinematic and immersive.

As far as any display/image options, I never fuck with artists vision.

Ev1L AuRoN

Max everything and tick every box. Check performance, if bad, lower to high, not yet, refund and start looking for upgrade.

Reallink

Alright this is how I know you guys just lack any sense of artistic vision or integrity. Thanks

Not everything is supposed to look clean and pristine. lol. Things like film grain, chromatic aberration, etc help to set the tone and mood of the image.

FeKuCGqWAAYvSQF
Tone and mood should be set with lighting and location/set design, not artificial filters. Ironically the images you're posting look much better on small phone displays where the fake artifacts you're arguing for are completely invisible.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Tone and mood should be set with lighting and location/set design, not artificial filters. Ironically the images you're posting look much better on small phone displays where the fake artifacts you're arguing for are completely invisible.
Lighting, location/set design are all done while shooting. Aka during production.

Film grain, CA, etc are added in POST production.

They are used to enhance the mood/tone of the original image.

It’s why things like photoshop exist.

And no, those images look great regardless of size because of the lighting yes, but also due to the photoshop/editing/effects used on the image.

linkroi

Motion Blur - Chromatic aberration and Depth of field, always off, these are the triforce of bullshit for me today, if I can (cause some games don't give you the choice), You can add film grain as well, whatever makes the screen look worse basically.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
- 60 FPS option (if the default setting is 30 fps)
- Motion blur off
- Film grain off
- Some games on loading up for the first time ask you to adjust the brightness (adjust the brightness until you barely see the symbol). I typically adjust the brightness a few notches above that in games I know will have dark areas. It helps with visibility (especially in shooters)
- For NHL, I set the cam to Classic, and set play by play commentating off
- For racing games, I set the cam to hood view
- I try to reduce HUD icon options to bare minimums needed for gameplay

Last edited:

GenericUser

Everything that obfuscates my vision in competitive multiplayer games:
- motion blur = off
- film grain = off
- turn brightness to max
and so on ...

For single player games, I usually leave it at the defaults to experience the game how the devs envisioned it.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
There are no cheaper GPUs or have you been living under a rock for the last 3 years? A 3060 costs more than a PS5.
I am living in a fourth world country and a 3060 is faaaaaar less than 800 euro. For 800 here I can almost get a 3080.

Last edited:

MAX PAYMENT

Good motion blur looks fantastic. When it's missing it makes a game look very gamey. The difference between good motion blur and absolutely no motion blur can be pretty immersion breaking for me.

MAX PAYMENT

It looks like shit in everything, minimally processed pristine video content like all the HDR 4K/8K TV demo videos on Youtube look infinitely superior to every Hollywood production.
YouTube? That's so unbelievably compressed that I'm blown away you not only can't see it, but believe it looks better than movies.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Good motion blur looks fantastic. When it's missing it makes a game look very gamey. The difference between good motion blur and absolutely no motion blur can be pretty immersion breaking for me.
How things being blurry looks fantastic? A game is supposed to look gamey. How the hell blur in things makes immersion higher? You needing glasses and not using them makes things looks fantastic and more immersive too?

marjo

Step 1. Put all settings to ultra
Step2 . Turn on DLSS quality (Native res is 3440x1440)
Step 3. Play the game

TheStam

I actually like all these post-processing effects. And if the developer has put them into the game, they probably have a good reason. And even when they don't, I still like the look better than a crystal clear image.

It's funny you say this. I personally know quite a few filmmakers (who work in film and advertising) who often choose old anamorphic lenses so that they actually get ca on the image. Obviously, it is not for every project, but sometimes I can help the image.

I've seen it used in other forms than gaming as well. Thing is there are different degrees of hell when it comes to CA. Cheapo point and shoots from the year 2000 creating an awful pronounced purple blur in high contrast areas.. Eww.. Those kind of images have permanently destroyed the effect for me. But I can theoretically see how someone would find it cool I suppose as a more controlled effect, but for me it's always something to get rid of.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Set to 1440p, put subtitles on, motion blur off (unless It's a racing game) and play.
I have good hearing but when you live In a noisy house it's hard to hear jack

Invert Y-axis

Disable chromatic aberration and disable film grain in most games, even if it requires a file dive

Disable motion blur

For most games I install ReShade and take 5 minutes tuning the game to my tastes

Manage the HUD if possible, to keep it off-screen when not needed, or replace it using a mod with a better HUD

MAX PAYMENT

How things being blurry looks fantastic? A game is supposed to look gamey. How the hell blur in things makes immersion higher? You needing glasses and not using them makes things looks fantastic and more immersive too?
Well you've proven your complete misunderstanding of what MOTION blur actually is.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Well you've proven your complete misunderstanding of what MOTION blur actually is.
Motion blur in games is not actually motion blur. It is all fake camera blur. That's why they are all different implementations and you can turn off. Real motion blur no one can turn off for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

JimboJones

FeKuCGqWAAYvSQF
Sometimes they make very questionable choices regarding their vision, so it's great being able to fix their mistakes 🙂

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I prefer to stick with the developer intent where possible, but one I often have to change on adventure games: raise voice volumes, lower music volume. Otherwise I can't hear what the characters are saying.

Rodolink

First top thing for me is inverting the camera Y axis and speeding up camera movement, default is always a slug.

A plus is speeding up texts display. And anything that would make game experience faster.

I just toggle invert y axis and add subtitles, then enjoy the game. Luckily PS5 remembers those settings, so I don't have to do it so much now.

Last edited:

Mowcno

I always turn off dynamic resolution, prefer setting it myself so I can maintain 60 rather than the PC constantly changing it and usually introducing frame drops.

Isa

Gold Member
Nowadays I check controls and certain motion blur options, as well as head bob if its that type of game since I've grown sensitive to it over time. I always check for graphics options on PS5/XSX as I usually select the highest gfx. The one option I have toggled just for shits 'n' giggles since the PS1 gen is controller vibration, just to see if the devs have it rumble when you turn it back on lol. Its a fun little habit of mine and I like to feel how each dev utilizes the rumble. There have been a few devs doing some good work when I least expected it, so for whoever is programming the controls gets my nerdy weeb-ass seal of approval.

Reallink

YouTube? That's so unbelievably compressed that I'm blown away you not only can't see it, but believe it looks better than movies.

Oh it's obvious, and incredibly telling that the unintentional compression artifacts are far less destructive and problematic than all the intentional bullshit Hollywood piles onto a frame.

Last edited:

Crayon

If a game seems heavy for my system to run, I go hunting for a setting that costs stupid frames. Too few games make a note on which settings are extra heavy. Like, you never know. Most settings tend to cost a few frames or even none. But there's often one of those bastards that is hitting you bad. The ground foliage in ARK is a good example. That game has a ton of setting to go hunting around in and when you finally turn down that slider a bit, you find that it's eating an outsized chunk of performance for every notch. More generally, it's so often one of the "ultra" settings that gets stupid. So first I'll flick the preset tohigh to see if some suspiciously large amount of performance comes back and look fro the culprit from there.

So there's nothing I turn off right away. More like a hunt that starts off the bat sometimes.

OZ9000

Banned
Motion blur and DOF looks AWESOME

Doom 2016 has some of the best implementation of these effects.

Games look so sterile without them.

Reallink

Motion blur and DOF looks AWESOME

Doom 2016 has some of the best implementation of these effects.

Games look so sterile without them.

The pixel response times people obsess about, that have entire sites dedicated to them (Blurbusters), and that reviewers build 50x50 matrices to represent are utterly meaningless if you turn on motion blur. Literally no point in spending over $100 for a monitor or TV if you're going to use that shit.

Last edited:

TheTurboFD

Turning off shadows is so 2004 lol. why?!
Motion blur off? Another mindless motion blur hater?

Where did I say i turn it off? I just said I turn it down to medium or low. It's not something I really care much about so why would I keep it on high or ultra? Also for motion blur I don't really care for it in a lot of the FPS's I play so I just turn it off in everything.

nemiroff

Gold Member
If it's a multiplayer shooter I basically turn off everything..
If I play with a controller then I turn off rumble. I mostly always turn off music as well.

Susurrus

Subtitles On.

My house is noisy, but even if the kids are in bed, sometimes my tinnitus gets in the way, or my wife decides that the most opportune time is when a cutscene starts up.

Top Bottom