• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is stopping iPhone from replacing consoles in the future?

Griffon

While in theory it make sense to not let the power of your phone go to waste, in practice games are too battery intensive, and that doesn't work when you need your phone to have enough battery for the whole day.

Unless we have a massive breakthrough in battery technology, it just makes more sense to have a separate game device for intensive games.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Phone games suck
This is always a weird answer. They don’t have to make games that play with touch screens. There is no reason they couldn’t do exactly like the switch. BT controller and dock / WiFi next it to your tv.

That could happen right now but the biggest issue is with apple themselves.

But in the future your tv will have the same mobile chips then it’s a home network processing deal. Then who knows.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
e4tsIzq.jpg

Spaceman292

Banned
This is always a weird answer. They don’t have to make games that play with touch screens. There is no reason they couldn’t do exactly like the switch. BT controller and dock / WiFi next it to your tv.

That could happen right now but the biggest issue is with apple themselves.

But in the future your tv will have the same mobile chips then it’s a home network processing deal. Then who knows.
No, they'll never do that

old-parts

The iPhone is passively cooled so it will always be a crippled game console of sorts.

Whats needed is a video docking station for iPhone that provides
* Active cooling with direct connection to the internal cooling system so the chip can draw more power and not be throttled (new iPhone design needed).
* Big screen interface for selecting games controlled via gamepad.
* Some kind of external storage system to store games that is also dynamic so connecting iPhone your console games auto appear on the system.

Another way to do it is Apple could combine the iPhone and AppleTV in the future with some kind of USB link between two as another path so your iPhone console games auto appear in the AppleTV interface.

But as it stands the iPhone isnt really a console, its just a novelty that it can run some premium games.

Easy on him. He just stood in line for 5 days to get the iPhone 15 just becuase it had Titanium and a USB C port. He's tired and he doesn't know what he's saying.

StereoVsn

Physics is stopping iPhone from being able to become a gaming console.

It doesn’t have enough thermal dissipation and cooling so it doesn’t throttle. It doesn’t have the battery life to sustain prolonged periods of gaming.

And also people use the device for its purpose. If I am gaming I can’t be checking messages, phone calls, emails, Teams/Slack, browse info on the web and all that jazz.

Yeah, I will occasionally play a game when I am out and about, but that’s quick and I won’t let it eat meaningfully into battery life.

Tams

Reasons to buy a console over using your smartphone:
  1. Consoles are made first and foremost for gaming. It'll be a better experience.
  2. Not wearing your smartphone out playing games (that wear it out faster). Mostly the battery, but storage takes a battering too. For the battery we're talking less than two years if you're a heavy gamer (oh, and that battery is glued in - sucker!)
  3. No need to worry if your gaming is going to leave you without your main way to contact people, or these days even pay for and verify (tickets) stuff.
  4. Not filling up your storage with games, so that when you are taking that video it stops due to lack of storage (oh, and no microSD cards for you, boyo!)
  5. No distractions on the same device you are gaming on.
  6. For responsible parents, not having your children's games console actually mostly be a communication device.
  7. Variety is the spice of life.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Reasons to buy a console over using your smartphone:
  1. Consoles are made first and foremost for gaming. It'll be a better experience.
  2. Not wearing your smartphone out playing games (that wear it out faster). Mostly the battery, but storage takes a battering too. For the battery we're talking less than two years if you're a heavy gamer (oh, and that battery is glued in - sucker!)
  3. No need to worry if your gaming is going to leave you without your main way to contact people, or these days even pay for and verify (tickets) stuff.
  4. Not filling up your storage with games, so that when you are taking that video it stops due to lack of storage (oh, and no microSD cards for you, boyo!)
  5. No distractions on the same device you are gaming on.
  6. For responsible parents, not having your children's games console actually mostly be a communication device.
  7. Variety is the spice of life.
Pff, that’s easily solved by buying two iPhones

The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Consoles are made first and foremost for gaming. It'll be a better experience.
I mean, sure. Who said you couldn't have both? The existence of consoles doesnt mean that phones shouldn't have good games, too.
Not wearing your smartphone out playing games (that wear it out faster). Mostly the battery, but storage takes a battering too. For the battery we're talking less than two years if you're a heavy gamer (oh, and that battery is glued in - sucker!)
EU is mandating removable batteries, not sure why this is a point at all
And I think Apple and Android phone manufacturers will keep in mind the storage requirements. We already have 1tb phones what's another.
No need to worry if your gaming is going to leave you without your main way to contact people, or these days even pay for and verify (tickets) stuff.
It's more likely that your gaming will be interrupted by contact rather than the other way around. You won't lose that.

Also iPad exist, you can always use those as well if your phone isn't up to the task.

No distractions on the same device you are gaming on.
Turn off data, turn off wifi. The messages, notifs and calls just disappear.
For responsible parents, not having your children's games console actually mostly be a communication device
A responsible parent would get an iPad, then.

Last edited:

Bry0

For some people it will be totally sufficient, especially in the coming years and if AAA releases continue. The demographic here probably isn’t those people.
There will probably always be a core market for actively cooled gaming pc/consoles pushing visuals as far as possible, but there will also be a contingent of people who find the experience on their iPhone sufficient if they can play some of the same games they might be interested in the device they already have with them every day.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

I think if Apple make console it will be in line like Nintendo Switch, where you can dock your IPHONE & play games on TV with enhanced graphic.
I think they will do this in next 2 years.

For me it's like the camera thing. The best camera you have is one that's most available. I want to play Death Stranding. I have a powerful PC and I have a new iphone 15 Pro Max with a Razer Kishi for controller. I'm not always home or have time to play on my PC, but I always have my phone and controller with me. The game will look incredible on my PC, but I find that I play a lot less games because I'm always trying to find time to play them. With my phone that wouldn't be a problem.

Pop

Way cheaper to buy a console over the new iPhone
Power difference
Phones Battery Life while gaming
Having your phone stationary while gaming

Obviously consoles are just way much cheaper, that's the main point

Dorfdad

Gold Member
there is not anything preventing it and it's already happening but very slow. Apple is slowly positioning themselves for expanded gaming.

You can already take an iPad and use a Second Screen for gaming. Hook a controller up and you have a full functioning lite desktop and gaming system in one. They just need more developers to port titles.

It way more capable than the switch, and some consoles just need storage / developers to support it.

an Apple "DOCK" for tv would nice that allows external storage for games and more.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Nothing on the tech side that can't be solved. I mean, a lot of people are pretty happy with their switches even if it has a lot of the limitations than other options for mobile gaming.

However, to replace consoles you would need the market to stop demanding powerful consoles and PC's. I don't see that happening because there are many of us who like that experience.

No matter how advanced mobile gaming is, it is not likely that at any point it will be superior (graphics, storage, thermal, etc) compared to whatever anchored solution we can have at home.

tkscz

It is happening.

People here are in denial.

Apple will take a large chunk of the hardcore gaming market.
Not sure if joking or not but if not, here's the thing.

The app store is full of free to play or cheap .99 to $5 games with a boat load of in game transactions. That's where the money lies when it comes to mobile gaming. Quick in and out games that are cheap or free that last a few minutes while travelings or pooping. That's what the average joe and jane want. They are already used to the idea of not having to pay directly for the game, they'd even say it's cheaper in the long run, even though they spend hundreds a year on it. Hell, they already can get a Call of Duty, Mario Kart, and Minecraft for free. Why would they pay $60 for a game on their phone?

The hardcore will complain about the price of the phone. Steam Deck, less than $1000. Asus ROG, less than $1000. No idea what Nintendo are working on but you can bet it's less than $1000. The price of the phone will be what makes them question this, that and having to buy an external device for a controller, and then buy the game. They'll just go why not buy a laptop? Why not buy a console with several games. What if I want an android. Nothing really pulls them in outside the novel idea of playing console games on their phone.

Apple has a huge market no doubt, and I can see some games seeing some success but I can't see $60 to $70 games having success on the current mobile market structure.

Well they also messed up the cooling on it so I dunno

Benchmarks seem to be the only thing I have that gets hot. My Iphone 15 pro gets super hot. Worrysomely is that a word?
However when playing Genshin Impact and Diablo imortal, It's similar to my old iphone. I've never seen the games glitch or shut down.

Tams

I mean, sure. Who said you couldn't have both? The existence of consoles doesnt mean that phones shouldn't have good games, too.

Cost.

EU is mandating removable batteries, not sure why this is a point at all
And I think Apple and Android phone manufacturers will keep in mind the storage requirements. We already have 1tb phones what's another.

Which hasn't come into force yet, so we haven't seen how the manufacturers will respond to it.

Storage will be an issue with one device have high resolution photos and videos, perhaps other media, and then games in the many GBs.

You're also ignoring my comment about storage wear. There's no way smartphone manufacturers make that replaceable.

It's more likely that your gaming will be interrupted by contact rather than the other way around. You won't lose that.

You said that yourself later on!

And you've misinterpreted what I meant. Ieant that you'd be draining the device that you use as your primary means of communication and possibly for even more important things.

'Sorry, my phone ran out of battery. Can I still board the train?' 'Nah mate. You shouldnt've been playing games'.

Also iPad exist, you can always use those as well if your phone isn't up to the task.

Again, cost

Turn off data, turn off wifi. The messages, notifs and calls just disappear.

Yes, but then you are not available to be contacted. With your smartphone being separate from your gaming device, you can focus on the game, but still be aware of notifications without them barging right into your face.

And no, all the notifications almost never all disappear.

A responsible parent would get an iPad, then.

Bruh... Most tablets are designed to be portals to access the Internet. Being multipurpose, it's very easy for users to get to the brain melting stuff, even with parental controls.

Consoles are far easier to lock down. 'Kids, you can only play these games and there's no web browser, so tough luck.'

Getting quite a lot of young people an iPad would be one of the worse things you could do.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Cost.

Which hasn't come into force yet, so we haven't seen how the manufacturers will respond to it.

Storage will be an issue with one device have high resolution photos and videos, perhaps other media, and then games in the many GBs.

You're also ignoring my comment about storage wear. There's no way smartphone manufacturers make that replaceable.

You said that yourself later on!

And you've misinterpreted what I meant. Ieant that you'd be draining the device that you use as your primary means of communication and possibly for even more important things.

'Sorry, my phone ran out of battery. Can I still board the train?' 'Nah mate. You shouldnt've been playing games'.

Again, cost

Yes, but then you are not available to be contacted. With your smartphone being separate from your gaming device, you can focus on the game, but still be aware of notifications without them barging right into your face.

And no, all the notifications almost never all disappear.

Bruh... Most tablets are designed to be portals to access the Internet. Being multipurpose, it's very easy for users to get to the brain melting stuff, even with parental controls.

Consoles are far easier to lock down. 'Kids, you can only play these games and there's no web browser, so tough luck.'

Getting quite a lot of young people an iPad would be one of the worse things you could do.
You know what, fair enough

Top Bottom