• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best looking game out so far?

JLB

Banned
horizon forbidden west, The Last of Us Part 1, and soon to be God of War Ragnarok

Fb1hqDTX0AAqlze

FaHnbpOXEAEUDj-

726d5b960a7d886cfd2adbe7bc08b4ea251f042d.jpg
“so far”

Fbh

Havent played it yet, but Horizon Forbidden West is the most visual impressive game i seen so far.

Yeah haven't played it either but this and maybe Cyberpunk maxed on PC are one of the few recent games which give me that "next gen" vibe.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The one that impressed me the most was Horizon Forbidden West on PS5.

Doesnt mean its the best game ever, or even a good game. But it is the one most visually impressive, or one of them to me...

kyliethicc

3 way tie because each game has strengths/weaknesses.

Horizon Forbidden West
The Last of Us Part I
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Shoutouts to Demon’s Souls, GT7, The Last of Us Part II, Uncharted 4+LL, and Death Stranding as well.

Best part is they’re all 60 FPS on PS5.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Gears 5 Hivebusters DLC
I haven’t seen it mentioned and it may not be the pinnacle but it’s a heck of a looker and worth a mention

Hunnybun

It's definitely Ratchet & Clank. That's easily the best looking overall. Horizon FW is as good in parts but definitely not consistently.

I think Deathloop is probably the next best. People answering with last gen games are crazy: there might not be many proper next gen titles, but the few we have are definitely clearly better than stuff like RDR2 and TLOU2.

RDR2 and Cyberpunk on PC look amazing, I’m only an hour or so in on CP2077 and it’s really something to look at. RDR2 is just crazy considering it’s almost 4 years old.

GHG

People listing CP2077 makes me think they don't actually game, period.

What? The screenshots I posted above are from my playthrough on PC.

Yeh it can be inconsistent at times (which I even showed as a joke) but when it nails it there are very few games that can compete.

It really shines during night time, I guess they call it night city for a reason.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I dont think there is a single title which is the best because different games do different things better and worse.

But here are some games I think offer the best visuals.

BvOTBtw.gif
aWauQWB.gif
03pPsgH.gif
I0a4hpm.jpg
wpBBhZM.gif

RDR2 is still such a polished and deatailed experience on a decent PC its still on of the best looking games. Flight sim has some of the best clouds + cloud lighting

9hmK0AR.png

r5amxIH.jpg

FH5 has some of the best foiliage and environmental detail.

sr8Q7TM.jpg

Another great shot from RDR2

7ONZwbB.gif

RETURNAL is impressive smoke effect which looks relistic, I think its a fluid simulation. Combined with there particle systems its a visual feast @ 60fps.

6HO7FdQ.jpg

Some more rdr2

T17lwMj.jpg

The man of median has some crazy character models.

NDNUPti.gif

More flight sim

48O7O72.jpg

Not the best image but TLOU1 remake, naughty dog are really pushing the detail level in the environments.

6zT5DUS.jpg
EWTxudx.jpg
wUvskkO.jpg
10Rf7r7.png

Rift apart has ut all, amazing particles, rt reflections, high geometry, great lighting and at 69fps.

oGI31QO.jpg

Horizon forbidden west has the best looking in game chracter to model ive seen to date, it does not lose detail abd look lower poly jank like a lot of games do. The environment are impressive too. All at a sexy 60fps.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
I'm replaying Cyberpunk 2077 on PC now. Previously, I've said I think RDR2 was the best I'd ever seen. Coming back to Cyberpunk 2077 on my gaming PC (i9 10900k, RTX 3090 OC, Gen 3 nVME, 64gb RAM) and yeah - Cyberpunk 2077 wins in a landslide. Cranked up with ray tracing, there's nothing even remotely close to what CDPR have done here. The detail and scale work together like nothing else. A lot of it doesn't come across in screenshots, because a screenshot fails to convey the sheer scope. It's not the fidelity of the textures, the number of polygons in the character models, the accuracy of the ray traced lighting - it's everything coming together. Walking the streets of Night City is simply the best visuals I've ever seen. It's uneven, sure, but when it's firing on all cylinders, there's Cyberpunk, and then there's everything else.

Last edited:
Cyberpunk 2077
Tales of Arise
Code Vein
Elden Ring
13 Sentinels Aegis Rim
Luigi Mansion 3
Mario + Rabbids
Splatoon 3
The Last of Us 2
Red Dead Redemption 2

Last edited:
Those water physics look pretty terrible for such a good engine.

And its a big improvement compared to the 1st game where the water was just flat. But yeah, thers a good amount of games out there doing better water.

smoke crack. In what universe does this water look “terrible”? What games have better looking water? Its like the oddest thing to criticize in horizon if you’ve actually played it. It’s one of the most impressive things about decima

Last edited:
Top Bottom