• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best looking game out so far?

Dr_Salt

smoke crack. In what universe does this water look “terrible”? What games have better looking water? Its like the oddest thing to criticize in horizon if you’ve actually played it

Yea it looks pretty bad. First gif looks like gello, water doesn't behave like that at all. That ocean looks utterly unimpressive but of course you have to defend your sony games don't you?

You want an example of good water physics try sea of thieves:

Aenima

smoke crack. In what universe does this water look “terrible”? What games have better looking water? Its like the oddest thing to criticize in horizon if you’ve actually played it

We was talking about water physics. The water looks good but the physics are still too static. Lacking splash effects. Sea of Thieves has probably the best water in a game, as cartoony as the game looks, the water physics are on point. Some Ass Creed games also do good water physics, and even GTA5 already did good water physics.

Even in that gif Aloy dives in the water at the end and the water barelly show any effect.

Pelta88

Miles Morales
Demon Souls
Horizon Forbidden West
Ratchet
The Last Of Us Part 2
Returnal

I've been feasting lol

Looks like a Sony fanboy here

Every game I mentioned with a few of the plats along the way...

lsLdxrp.mp4

lsLdxrp.mp4

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Spider-Man 2 is going to be insane, isn't it?
No doubt they will do very impressive stuff. People should not expect feature parity with the matrix demo though. But they will likely do some things better then the matrix demo, because its not just a demo.

I'm replaying Cyberpunk 2077 on PC now. Previously, I've said I think RDR2 was the best I'd ever seen. Coming back to Cyberpunk 2077 on my gaming PC (i9 10900k, RTX 3090 OC, Gen 3 nVME, 64gb RAM) and yeah - Cyberpunk 2077 wins in a landslide. Cranked up with ray tracing, there's nothing even remotely close to what CDPR have done here. The detail and scale work together like nothing else. A lot of it doesn't come across in screenshots, because a screenshot fails to convey the sheer scope. It's not the fidelity of the textures, the number of polygons in the character models, the accuracy of the ray traced lighting - it's everything coming together. Walking the streets of Night City is simply the best visuals I've ever seen. It's uneven, sure, but when it's firing on all cylinders, there's Cyberpunk, and then there's everything else.
64 gb of ram !!!! Holy funk , i'm still debating if i should upgrade from 16gb to 32gb , is it even worth it!!?

I_D

You didn’t actually post anything interacting with the water though. The big waves in horizon look just as good, your user name suits you

Dude, how in the world could you possibly post that first video when you had this one in the chamber?
That first video you posted made me literally laugh out loud with the little splashy noises. It was comically bad.

This one still isn't great, but it's at least on-par with most games today.
There's no need to get all ragey about Sea of Thieves, though. That game is renowned for its water physics.

For me, IQ is the most important factor in what makes games look "good." If the image isn't crisp, nothing else really matters.
After IQ, animation is probably the next-most important thing (graphically, to me).
Then lighting, then physics, then textures, then all the other bits and bobs.

With all of that in mind, I think I'd probably say the new Ratchet and Clank might take the crown, right now. I don't even really like the series, but you can't deny how it's firing on pretty much all cylinders.
It's one of the very few games I can think of where the characters don't look like they're going through lists of animations, and instead look actually life-like in their movements.

Last edited:
Dude, how in the world could you possibly post that first video when you had this one in the chamber?
That first video you posted made me literally laugh out loud with the little splashy noises. It was comically bad.

This one still isn't great, but it's at least on-par with most games today.
There's no need to get all ragey about Sea of Thieves, though. That game is renowned for its water physics.

For me, IQ is the most important factor in what makes games look "good." If the image isn't crisp, nothing else really matters.
After IQ, animation is probably the next-most important thing (graphically, to me).
Then lighting, then physics, then textures, then all the other bits and bobs.

With all of that in mind, I think I'd probably say the new Ratchet and Clank might take the crown, right now. I don't even really like the series, but you can't deny how it's firing on pretty much all cylinders.
It's one of the very few games I can think of where the characters don't look like they're going through lists of animations, and instead look actually life-like in their movements.

I mean this is literally the first time I’ve ever heard anyone refer to Horizon FW water as “terrible” or bad…. Digital Foundry gushes over it for 10 minutes

10:48

You either haven’t played it or you need glasses

3 way tie because each game has strengths/weaknesses.

Horizon Forbidden West
The Last of Us Part I
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Shoutouts to Demon’s Souls, GT7, The Last of Us Part II, Uncharted 4+LL, and Death Stranding as well.

Best part is they’re all 60 FPS on PS5.
GT7 is underrated because of the PS4 level assets, as the game needs to run at 60 fps on last gen.

But the lightning and shadow interactions on the game, and material rendering is simply beautiful. And sometimes the game can impress you even after you have played games like those 3 you mentioned. Can't wait to see their graphics fully current-gen, on GT8 or Sport 2.

I_D

I mean this is literally the first time I’ve ever heard anyone refer to Horizon FW water as “terrible” or bad…. Digital Foundry gushes over it for 10 minutes

10:48

You either haven’t played it or you need glasses

Surely you see how posting this first would have been a much better option?
It's like you were deliberately trying to sabotage your own discussion-point.

I agree that Horizon's water is fine. It's totally in line with, or better than, most games.
But, dude... You posted the toddler's version in your first two attempts, and did it with a straight face.
When you're not able to see the difference in quality between what you've already posted, versus what you're posting now, you do nothing for argument.

But even ignoring all that, Horizon's water still isn't realistic. As you can clearly see from your video, the water is pretty much always just a straight line. It's just clever texture-work. It's VERY clever texture-work, mind you, but still just texture-work.
In fact, I would argue that RDR2's water is a rather large step-up from Horizon's, despite also using all the same non-physics-based tricks.
And don't get me wrong - that's what basically all games do, and for good reason, and it's better than in most games.
It's not physics-based, though.

I honestly can't think of many games which use actual physics-based code for the water. Sea of Thieves is probably the closest we have, so far.
Otherwise, "From Dust," "Mario Sunshine," and "Minecraft" are the only games I can think of, off the top of my head, with actual physics-based water mechanics. And "Mario Sunshine" is a bit of a stretch.

Nevertheless, I still think 'Ratchet' is probably the best mixture of all of the best techniques we have, thus far.
I suspect by this time in two-three years, though, we'll all be looking at the current games like they're amateur-attempts.

Surely you see how posting this first would have been a much better option?
It's like you were deliberately trying to sabotage your own discussion-point.

I agree that Horizon's water is fine. It's totally in line with, or better than, most games.
But, dude... You posted the toddler's version in your first two attempts, and did it with a straight face.
When you're not able to see the difference in quality between what you've already posted, versus what you're posting now, you do nothing for argument.

But even ignoring all that, Horizon's water still isn't realistic. As you can clearly see from your video, the water is pretty much always just a straight line. It's just clever texture-work. It's VERY clever texture-work, mind you, but still just texture-work.
In fact, I would argue that RDR2's water is a rather large step-up from Horizon's, despite also using all the same non-physics-based tricks.
And don't get me wrong - that's what basically all games do, and for good reason, and it's better than in most games.
It's not physics-based, though.

I honestly can't think of many games which use actual physics-based code for the water. Sea of Thieves is probably the closest we have, so far.
Otherwise, "From Dust," "Mario Sunshine," and "Minecraft" are the only games I can think of, off the top of my head, with actual physics-based water mechanics. And "Mario Sunshine" is a bit of a stretch.

Nevertheless, I still think 'Ratchet' is probably the best mixture of all of the best techniques we have, thus far.
I suspect by this time in two-three years, though, we'll all be looking at the current games like they're amateur-attempts.

The simplest solution is for people not to comment on games they haven’t played :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

I_D

The simplest solution is for people not to comment on games they haven’t played :pie_thinking:

I'm hoping you've made some sort of sarcastic joke that I'm just unable to understand.
Because if you're serious, there's no point in even continuing this discussion.

With that mentality, you shouldn't post in this thread at all, since you don't have any experience with creating graphics.

I'm hoping you've made some sort of sarcastic joke that I'm just unable to understand.
Because if you're serious, there's no point in even continuing this discussion.

With that mentality, you shouldn't post in this thread at all, since you don't have any experience with creating graphics.

I’m merely posting games that i feel have good graphics, thats what the thread is about.

Claiming that horizon forbidden west has “terrible water” or that “there are plenty of games with better” is just objectively false.

Last edited:

I_D

I’m merely posting games that i feel have good graphics, thats what the thread is about.

Claiming that horizon forbidden west has “terrible water” or that “there are plenty of games with better” is just objectively false.

You... clearly didn't read anything I said. You do realize more than one person is responding to you, right?
Don't worry about it. We're both agreeing that Horizon looks great.

I mean, it still has a looooooong way to go, but it looks good for today's standards (which is where we disagree?).

You... clearly didn't read anything I said. You do realize more than one person is responding to you, right?
Don't worry about it. We're both agreeing that Horizon looks great.

I mean, it still has a looooooong way to go, but it looks good for today's standards (which is where we disagree?).

Yeah, i think its the best in its class as far as water goes.

Fredrik

Returnal of the Elden Flight Simulator from the Forbidden Horizon 5

Returnal - particles and tentacles
Elden Ring - art direction and map design
MS Flight Simulator - zoomed out vistas
Horizon Forbidden West - nature and machine design
Forza Horizon 5 - nature

GymWolf

One between horizon forbidden west, rift apart or flight sim/rdr2 on pc.

Cyberpunk is too uneven and animations are crap, the game looks much better in still screenshot than live.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
smoke crack. In what universe does this water look “terrible”? What games have better looking water? Its like the oddest thing to criticize in horizon if you’ve actually played it. It’s one of the most impressive things about decima

Go and stand underneath a waterfall.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Anyone calling Horizon FW water terrible does not know how water works.

Even that first gif that people shoot down is fine. It looks gello - That's foam honey. Ocean's and seas tend to create this with enough water displacement when aided by wind.

Next you have to tell people how to interact with a door (So they can step away from the computer from which they make such takes).

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
To be honest, I'm not really blown away by graphics anymore. Witcher on pc in 1440p ultra 120 fps is probably the most pretty game I've seen. Nothing beats the rainy storm with trees moving with the wind.

Every game I mentioned with a few of the plats along the way...

lsLdxrp.mp4

lsLdxrp.mp4

You didn't really do anything to show you weren't biased.

I don't hink anyone has doubted that you played these games.

What he meant is that you only put exclusives on the list, which makes it biased.

RyRy93

RDR2 is the game that blows my mind the most not just in the way it looks but the way mud, blood, water and snow interacts with characters and animals.
How on Earth did they manage to do that and get it running reasonably well on last gen consoles?

Roberts

For characters, one can argue Death Stranding
Interesting. I think the game looks fantastic, but I really don't like the way the characters look. Probably because they are all well known actors/celebrities and their digital iterations with their dead eyes just give me bad uncanny valley vibes.

Easy to say CP when maxed out, at least on consoles in graphics mode, but personally, I pick tlou2

As for more toony games - personal out topic-, I will surprise you with...Pokèmon Legends

Areas are pretty disappointing if we consider environments quality, but... Night or sunrise - sunset sky + protagonist shot always melts my heart, it looks like a painting

Stuart360

Flight Sim in terms of photorealistic. And i hate saying this game as i dont like it but Cyberpunk at Ultra on PC, it even beats RDR2 imo (although the wilderness in Cyberpunk looks worse than RDR2).

Top Bottom