• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best looking game out so far?

Dr_Salt

Anyone calling Horizon FW water terrible does not know how water works.

Even that first gif that people shoot down is fine. It looks gello - That's foam honey. Ocean's and seas tend to create this with enough water displacement when aided by wind.

Next you have to tell people how to interact with a door (So they can step away from the computer from which they make such takes).

I live right besides the pacific but if you think that is what the ocean looks like then okay..

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I live right besides the pacific but if you think that is what the ocean looks like then okay..
And i live in the same country as the studio's creators.

Why not apply for a job at them or write a letter? Surely you know where the issues lie...

DryvBy

I think people are missing the point of this thread. It's best looking games. Photorealistic isn't the only option. There shouldn't even be a console war debate in this because it's freaking images.

And post screenshots. OP specifically said this and all I see are texts full of "my favorite games and platform".

No competition with Flight sim and forza horizon
FH5 doesn't look that hot on performance mode imo. Has very nice vegetation and environment quality, but the frequent and visible pop-in is really disappointing. The car models aren't as accurate as other games too, but that doesn't matter. I hope this gen diminishes pop-in soon

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Definitely a toss up between RDR2 and Cyberpunk 2077 on PC. There are games that do certain things better, but when scope and scale are considered, both those games are still the best, visually, on the market.

itsnotme

It just has to be RDR2 that game just makes me say wow every time though this is only true until you look at the floor but I’m willing to overlook this

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Demons Souls remake is stunning.

RDR2 for me though. The scale of that game and the atmosphere is just absolutely beautiful.

R* please answer my prayers. Doubtful, every employee is now probably crunching 25 hours a day, 8 days a week for GTA6.

pasterpl

FH5 doesn't look that hot on performance mode imo. Has very nice vegetation and environment quality, but the frequent and visible pop-in is really disappointing. The car models aren't as accurate as other games too, but that doesn't matter. I hope this gen diminishes pop-in soon
Oh high spec pc this game looks amazing.

You can tell how few people have experienced Cyberpunk 2077 maxed out on a capable PC.

it's in it's own entire league. Red dead 2 is very nice looking and easily the #2 spot but the gap between them is huge, seriously. I'm sitting here raising my eyebrows at other nominations in this thread lol.

The animations of cyberpunk aren’t up there though, no matter hos nice the ray tracing and textures look the characters still move a bit robotic

johnny-silverhand-cyberpunk2077female-v.gif

johnny-silverhand-maybe-something-i-learned-from-you-female-v-cyberpunk2077.gif

a767fb26b08b10a33fe02182fb44f60199bace2b.gifv

fe9e4d4ec44553680301267334e82293895f9d23.gif

Last edited:

sachos

HFW, Ratchet & Clank, DeSR, TLoU Part 1, Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, Flight Sim and Cyberpunk 2077 Maxed on PC i would say are the top dogs right now.

From the games I own on PC: Cyberpunk, RDR2, Days Gone, Death Stranding, and to a lesser extent Mad Max. All look fantastic in their own way and it's difficult to say one looks better, at least in a screenshots battle. In motion - Cyberpunk easily looks the best. The one true next gen game on PC at the moment. Shout-out to The Witcher 3, still gorgeous for a nearly decade old game.

On PS5, I have Ghost of Toshima and Elden Ring. They look great but don't hold a candle to the PC games I own. Elden Ring honestly looks last gen.

Type_Raver

We have come to an age where best is subjective to art style preferences; subject to the eye of the beholder.
The capabilities of current technology is now at a point where its no longer much of a bottleneck.

I think we are still a clear step away from seeing the full potential of current gen consoles, due to the hemorrhaging of cross platform titles. (as the Matrix demo shows).

I find Quake II RTX (path traced) equally is beautiful Cyberpunk 2077.
Quakes minimal design paired and complimented with Path tracing looks excellent, and CP2077 busier but technically excellent style is just as impressive.

I still love 16bit gaming with 240p scanlined TV sets; DKC shines on CRT's compared to all other displays.

Its not much of a matter of excellence, but subjective preference.

shubik

To me without a doubt The last of us part 1. I just finished it and the amount of detail in each environment combined with the phenomenal lightning and those incredible facial animations is just insane! The number of times I stopped the game and just walked around... Trully a next gen experience.

Further titles in consideration:

- Miles morales (it was the first PS5 game and I was impressed by the fantastic character models)
- Ratchet and Clank (that Cyberpunk level is fantastic. I audibly said WTF)

ShadowLag

IMO, the FF7 remake is the most consistently awesome looking thing I've played in years. I'm talking full package: technical graphics and art style combined, in-game and in cutscenes.

yamaci17

Every game will have places / moments that look bad if you actively look for it, what I feel like is that you nitpick specific cases where Cyberpunk looks bad and ignore cases where it looks good.

Also your Cyber shot looks grainy either because oversharpening or film grain or a combination of both. Turn off film grain and other various post process effects for starters, and then try reducing sharpening intensity. You may think they increase the fidelity but sometimes they hurt the image more than you can imagine.

Last edited:

shubik

IMO, the FF7 remake is the most consistently awesome looking thing I've played in years. I'm talking full package: technical graphics and art style combined, in-game and in cutscenes.

It´s a good-looking game for sure. But also very limited in terms of level design. It´s mostly fancy-dressed corridors. It´s also full of generic, repeating and very bland level parts.

Last edited:

tommib

It's a showcasing of a brilliant particle system that's miles ahead of everything else. Resolution is the lowest factor in graphics.
As if anyone knew Returnal’s resolution until DF came with their pixel counting. Returnal is still my go-to game if I want to get that next-gen feeling. Just the speed that you move through those rooms (sprint always on) with the thousands of particles exploding and the fluid simulations filling up the screen completely does it for me. Im always in awe.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
As if anyone knew Returnal’s resolution until DF came with their pixel counting. Returnal is still my go-to game if I want to get that next-gen feeling. Just the speed that you move through those rooms with the thousands of particles exploding and the fluid simulations filling up the screen completely does it for me. Im always in awe.
When I get friends over it's my go-to game to show them. When the heat is on and bullets fly across the rooms lighting on surfaces and big beasts with tentacles attacking in a very lifelike way - it's simply the best looking game made yet. Sure there are games that "looks" better when you're just standing still and taking pictures in photomode. In Returnal you have to actually play it to get the experience.

OZ9000

Banned
Well it's a big open world game, of course you can find areas that don't look as nice.

These are screen shots I took on those settings:

tv55j6o.jpg

RXS1fFp.jpg

HvQ9W0B.jpg

FjROgT8.jpg

4uYlamI.jpg

pgQmh7Q.jpg

BvIOxpW.jpg

CqWnoGa.jpg
I'm playing it right now. It looks very inconsistent. Some good highs, but also lows.

Interiors with light effects = look good
Outdoors = looks pretty bad with lots of low resolution textures, especially during the day time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom