• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best looking game out so far?

tommib

8BiTw0LF

Banned
gotta disagree, resolution is far too low to look impressive
Ok, then this is the best!

ss_6834302e9b91ed7992309736e1e1fcbac369d724.1920x1080.jpg

ss_228137af7c30c3b4475ab285dbbe5477f25baffb.1920x1080.jpg

ss_a138f445b439de274e0bbdb8056ae76835227608.1920x1080.jpg

8K resolution OMFGGGGG

lick GIF

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yup. I'm a bit confused by all the mentions of Returnal. It's not bad looking but nowhere near the best ever IMO
It has cool particle effects and nice art direction but other than that it didn't really impress me with the visuals, specially for a next gen only $70 first party game. Parts like the second Biome look straight up like a AA game at times.
Returnal makes a great first impression with its volumetric fog and lighting in the very first level. It adds to the atmosphere and tbh, with the destruction, the particle effects and that amazing soundtrack, it tricks you into thinking its next gen.

But then you get to chapter 2 and while the open desert area looks great, the game's visual fidelity takes a nosedive once you go indoors, and then chapter 3 is just fugly. AA is being nice. It looks like an indie game starting chapter 3 all the way till the final 6th chapter. In fact, chapter 4 shows just how much the lighting helps that first chapter because essentially its the same map but all of a sudden the game looks ugly because its no longer set at night.

HFW, Cyberpunk, TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima all have their ugly levels and lighting conditions, but 70% of the time those games look fantastic. Returnal only looks amazing in that first level, level and a half.

To me, the most impressive thing about Matrix is that it looks next gen regardless of the time of day or location. It looks good while you are driving, looks great when you're on foot. Looks great while you're flying, and even better when you inspect things up close. A lot of last gen games had to have artists and designers pour hours into making every area of the game look good, but clearly you cant spend forever faking everything. This is where Dynamic lighting and ray traced reflections can save not only save dev time but also increase consistency in visual fidelity.

GymWolf

Returnal makes a great first impression with its volumetric fog and lighting in the very first level. It adds to the atmosphere and tbh, with the destruction, the particle effects and that amazing soundtrack, it tricks you into thinking its next gen.

But then you get to chapter 2 and while the open desert area looks great, the game's visual fidelity takes a nosedive once you go indoors, and then chapter 3 is just fugly. AA is being nice. It looks like an indie game starting chapter 3 all the way till the final 6th chapter. In fact, chapter 4 shows just how much the lighting helps that first chapter because essentially its the same map but all of a sudden the game looks ugly because its no longer set at night.

HFW, Cyberpunk, TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima all have their ugly levels and lighting conditions, but 70% of the time those games look fantastic. Returnal only looks amazing in that first level, level and a half.

To me, the most impressive thing about Matrix is that it looks next gen regardless of the time of day or location. It looks good while you are driving, looks great when you're on foot. Looks great while you're flying, and even better when you inspect things up close. A lot of last gen games had to have artists and designers pour hours into making every area of the game look good, but clearly you cant spend forever faking everything. This is where Dynamic lighting and ray traced reflections can save not only save dev time but also increase consistency in visual fidelity.
What destruction? Some stone statues and that squishy alien ball?

I was never tricked once into thinking that returnal looked nextgen, like not even remotely, we had volumetric smoke on fucking arkaham knight and the cartoony coloured balls never impressed me like the smoke\neon effects in infamous 3, talking about a real nextgen looking game coming from ps3.

The game can't even maintain 60 frame rock solid for shit everytime there is some chaos on screen.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Won't look like that during gameplay.
And? People keep sharing Death Stranding and TLOU2 cutscene shots. Both game never look like that in terms of fidelity in actual gameplay. What are you trying to prove here? I can pull any random in game Tlou2 shot in actual gameplay while moving the camera and all you would have would be super blurry low res foliage and whatnot.

yamaci17

Minus those new higher setting for rt reflections, Cyberpunk on pc looks like that during gameplay.
He means TAA blurring the image when you play at 1440p/1080p. It happens with all games universally that has TAA, but somehow he specifically targets Cyberpunk for some reason, as if it is the only game that experiences that.

RDR2 at 1440p/1080p also looks super blurry. Game truly comes alive at 4K/or 4K DLSS Quality. This has nothing to do with Cyber, RDR2 or anything. Every game at 4K will actually look like how it is marketed. Cyberpunk is no different. People who played it at 4K/DLSS Performance will have enormously better image quality than those who play at native 1440p.

OZ9000

Banned
And? People keep sharing Death Stranding and TLOU2 cutscene shots. Both game never look like that in terms of fidelity in actual gameplay. What are you trying to prove here? I can pull any random in game Tlou2 shot in actual gameplay while moving the camera and all you would have would be super blurry low res foliage and whatnot.
What has Death Stranding and TLOU got to do with anything?

I'm just disappointed with the visuals of Cyberpunk. It doesn't look as good as I originally imagined.

yamaci17

What has Death Stranding and TLOU got to do with anything?

I'm just disappointed with the visuals of Cyberpunk. It doesn't look as good as I originally imagined.
It really shines at 4K. Use 4K / DLSS performance if you have to. I did direct visual comparions tests, even 4K/DLSS performance wrecks Native 1440p (let alone 1440p DLSS Quality).

I mean, RDR 2 is also a widely acknowledged game, in terms of graphics. It only ever looks good at 1080p 1440p when you stand still or in cutscenes. The second you move, the game becomes into a mushy soup of pixels.

It was just a observation of mine. in regards to DS and TLOU. Cyberpunk both outshines them, for example, even in normal graphics, even at 1080p, because all of them actually looks very blurry at 1080p.

I mean, the topic is not that Cyberpunk's visuals is super great or not. The topic is that which is best? Some people come here and say Cyberpunk is best, right? And isn't your posts showing it in bad light is a reaction them? If not, what would you try to prove? I naturally think that you think it is overrated in the sense of it looks worse than Tlou2 or Death Stranding or any games that it is being compared against.

Vick

Gold Member
Is "while moving the camera" a new random requirement I missed? These are all 100% gameplay screenshots of TLOU2 on PS4Pro:

m6RhqF4.png

JQVNPzs.png

Gb5HTKS.png

x7ywkGk.png

eIroJTS.png

aVRdfKc.png

K7hiIuC.png

I have hundreds of them. Here some videos survived on Streamable:

Vick

Gold Member
Crazy. I still think it looks better than part 1 aside from resolution.
Just wow.
Yeah, what they managed to achieve on a PS4 is just crazy.
As for Part I, I've just finished it and aside from resolution and IQ, shadows are also unquestionably improved alot as they are essentially PCSS all the time, and because of this some environments look legit pre-rendered. Water also saw a pretty significant upgrade, textures are noticeably higher resolution and the shared scenes between the two games are night and day in favor of Part I, from models to lighting to art direction. Physics and environmental assets interaction also blew me away more than once.

giphy.gif

There are some examples of this in this video, timestamped:

And this one did a decent job at showcasing some of the differences between the two games:

0j51xmedj2l91.jpg

vtjvi1ctn3l91.jpg

Slightly less compressed Part I ending screen:

nsszgHl.jpeg

XOMTOR

Style over realism ANY DAY.

EXACTLY!

Showed my wife the nvidia Cyberpunk video linked above and told her that was the "best looking game out so far". She laughed and said: "looks like 10 year old budget CGI"

Crazy. I still think it looks better than part 1 aside from resolution.
Just wow.

More shots from HFW to fuel the fire!

UN4QltA.jpg

9MsrnXM.jpg

Ooof, that's some uncanny-valley shit right there, especially the second one. Kill it with fire.

The Matrix demo has broken my brain. Everything else here pales in comparison and now I feel like I can't go back to seeing these games the way everyone else does.

op22

Yeah, Cyberpunk 2077. The Phantom Liberty DLC will probably be the only reason to buy an Nvidia RTX 4090. Maybe Starfield.

yamaci17

Is "while moving the camera" a new random requirement I missed? These are all 100% gameplay screenshots of TLOU2 on PS4Pro:

TAA practically erases precious pixel data when you move the camera. It's not a requirement or anything, its just a personal thing I've personally knowledgable about whereas most people are not. The user specifically attacks Cyberpunk's graphics on the merit that graphics go shit once he moves the camera, which I gave answer that happens to every game. TLOU2 is not an exclusion, and your static screenshots don't prove anything

Here's a comparison for you to understand;

When you stand still for the "cool super looking shot", the game looks super clean and sharp. Once you move the camera, it degrades itself heavily. that is all there is to it. all that detailed and super cool looking foliage gets mushy, blurry, and clumped together due to TAA. that happens to rdr 2, cyberpunk and tlou2 and any other game that TAA is fully used.

I'm not saying TLOU2 looks bad or Cyberpunk looks super great. I just answered to that user that "graphics going shit once you move the camera!!" is a meta among all games. The user saying that "static" Cyberpunk shots holds no merit, and I answered to him. There's no point bringing TLOU2 static shots in this argument.

I just say that if you're to criticise Cyberpunk's image quality going bad in movement, then you have to do the same for others if you're going to compare. As you can see, RDR2's graphics go to shit at 1440p the second you move the camera. Yet no one mentions anything about it.

It is also hard to capture a moving screenshot on console with motion blur enabled. So I'm not asking anyone screenshots at all.

My post was not aimed as an attack for tlou2 or anything. it was just a defence in favor of cyberpunk. i also do not claim it looks better orr worse than tlou2, i dont intend to draw comparisons

Last edited:

GooseMan69

To my untrained eye, The Last of Us Part 2 still reigns supreme as an overall technical package. Animations, lighting, textures, character models, etc.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

m6RhqF4.png

JQVNPzs.png

Gb5HTKS.png

x7ywkGk.png

eIroJTS.png

aVRdfKc.png

K7hiIuC.png

Naughty Dog
bow.gif
Truly in a class of their own.

Overall Part 1 and Part 2 are probably the most impressive games as a whole I've ever seen. The level of polish and overall graphical fidelity is untouched.

But Horizon Forbidden West takes the cake when just talking about pure WOW factor.

...PS5 is just running circles around everything else right now, kind of ridiculous.

Last edited:

Kurimao

Naughty Dog
bow.gif
Truly in a class of their own.

Overall Part 1 and Part 2 are probably the most impressive games as a whole I've ever seen. The level of polish and overall graphical fidelity is untouched.

But Horizon Forbidden West takes the cake when just talking about pure WOW factor.

...PS5 is just running circles around everything else right now, kind of ridiculous.

nice but can you burn them?

GymWolf

m6RhqF4.png

JQVNPzs.png

Gb5HTKS.png

x7ywkGk.png

eIroJTS.png

aVRdfKc.png

K7hiIuC.png

How the fuck do i utilize your pics dude? If i put the image in another tab or i download it, it's just a small image on imgur and i can't use it.

How do i copy the high res big ass image of the red frog?

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
How the fuck do i utilize your pics dude? If i put the image in another tab or i download it, it's just a small image on imgur and i can't use it.

How do i copy the high res big ass image of the red frog?
"Open image in new tab" and again on the small pic on Imgur "Open image in new tab". Should work buddy.

Spyxos

Yup. I'm a bit confused by all the mentions of Returnal. It's not bad looking but nowhere near the best ever IMO
It has cool particle effects and nice art direction but other than that it didn't really impress me with the visuals, specially for a next gen only $70 first party game. Parts like the second Biome look straight up like a AA game at times.
Yeah, I don't get it at all. As i was playing Returnal, I never thought it looked like Next gen. The only next gen thing about this game is the price tag.

Caio

PC : Cyberpunk 2077
PS5 : Ratchet, TLOU Part I, Horizon FW, DS
XSX : Flight Simulator, FH5.
The best have yet to come, it's still very early in the Generation, even though these games already look very very good.

tommib

PC : Cyberpunk 2077
PS5 : Ratchet, TLOU Part I, Horizon FW, DS
XSX : Flight Simulator, FH5.
The best have yet to come, it's still very early in the Generation, even though these games already look very very good.
Refreshing to hear someone who doesn’t suffer from clinical depression.

Top Bottom