• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the ideal amount of VRAM for a video card in 2022?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I played the spiderman PC port and while the game is very fun and graphically amazing, the game doesn't use all of my 6650xt's vram @1440p high settings (very high textures) and as a result had a lot of stuttering and lag even when I know my card is capable of rendering well (when it comes to raster at least)

I would get a better GPU, but I only got this one a couple of months ago, and everything on the market that's midrange is 8gb only which wouldn't be much of an upgrade, plus for the future rtx 4000/rx7000 series I'm very worried about the pricing and power draw (I only have a 700w psu)
Am I fine with 8gb or do I have to get a better videocard asap?

winjer

Gold Member
wait until AMD and nvidia release their next gen.
No point in worrying about these things at the end of a generation.

The biggest issue with that GPU, is that for some reason, SpiderMan runs significantly better on nvidia hardware.
And it only has PCI-e 8X lanes. If you are on Gen4, it's not so bad. But on Gen3, it can cause performance losses.
But the biggest performance bottleneck seems to be CPU memory bandwidth.
What CPU and motherboard do you have now?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
wait until AMD and nvidia release their next gen.
No point in worrying about these things at the end of a generation.

The biggest issue with that GPU, is that for some reason, SpiderMan runs significantly better on nvidia hardware.
And it only has PCI-e 8X lanes. If you are on Gen4, it's not so bad. But on Gen3, it can cause performance losses.
But the biggest performance bottleneck seems to be CPU memory bandwidth.
What CPU and motherboard do you have now?
5600x and an Asus b450 (not my best purchase)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Then you are probably in Gen3. And losing performance.
You should consider upgrading to a B550.
I'd get around to it, but it's hard to see the point when am5 is right around the corner and the motherboards are sure to be much faster and much more powerful

winjer

Gold Member
I'd get around to it, but it's hard to see the point when am5 is right around the corner and the motherboards are sure to be much faster and much more powerful

Changing just the motherboard, is cheaper than the motherboard+CPU+memory.
But if you plan on a full upgrade, then there is no point in using AM4. Just go all in AM5, you'll have support for 4 or 5 years.

lukilladog

There are like 3 games that really need 8gb for max textures, I think it should be fine for at least a couple of years. Spiderman is not a very good port cpu wise and can cause stuttering and hiccups.

Last edited:

Fredrik

There are like 3 games that really need 8gb for max textures, I think it should be fine for at least a couple of years. Spiderman is not a very good port cpu wise and can cause stuttering and hiccups.
I know nothing about this. How do I check how much mem a game is using?
I have thought that my card is hitting some RAM ceiling, I swapped from a 11GB 1080Ti to a 8GB 3070Ti and sometimes I see fps dips and texture loading issues I don’t remember having with the 1080Ti.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
At least 12GB.....the 8GB era is basically over unless you just play old games like me

in about two years having 8GB for modern gaming is going to be a bad time

If you have one ride it out but I wouldn't recommend anyone buying a new 8gb card

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I have thought that my card is hitting some RAM ceiling, I swapped from a 11GB 1080Ti to a 8GB 3070Ti and sometimes I see fps dips and texture loading issues I don’t remember having with the 1080Ti.
I wish nvidia weren't so stingy with vram... in an ideal world 3070ti would be 24gb

lukilladog

With Msi afterburner. Which games do you see texture issues with?. Maybe try closing the web browser or other programs.

Fredrik

With Msi afterburner. Which games do you see texture issues with?. Maybe try closing the web browser or other programs.
Don’t remember right now but I only play NMS, Cyberpunk and Elden Ring. I just see more scenarios where textures pop in a bit too late, not a big problem but it’s just something I don’t remember seeing on my old rig.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
To stay on pace with PS5 performance w/ 1st party titles? Probably 16gb. I can already see the rush of LOL spam emojis on this comment, but these folks never learn. Look how much disruption a damn PS4 game caused. Be smart and wait it out.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
VRAM is not the only number that matters, the bandwidth is important too. Publishers give numbers that cover a wide range of cards and they are not a hard line. I forget the game but it said you needed 11GB which implied a base 3080 couldn't run it on max. My 3090 ran it on max using 9GB. Personally I would choose more if there were options, but if the top card in your price range doesn't have different VRAM configs you don't really have a choice now do you?

Verchod

As some have said already, it feels like 12GB is minimum of you want to keep it for next four to five years. I think I've already had one or two games that wanted more than 8GB for the highest texture settings, even though the rest of the game wasn't that demanding.
I bought a 3070 on release and was hoping to not change it for a good few years, but even then I thought the 8GB was a little low.

Kuranghi

Depends on the resolution doesn't it? Ie if you aren't gaming at 4K then maybe it doesn't matter as much, I dunno though, someone else chime in on that. If it doesn't then it seems to me 12GB is bare minimum if you don't plan to upgrade for 4 years or more, 16GB is ideal though and definitely no issues even with hoggy future games.

RE2 and 3 Remake are from 2019 and 2020 and I'm sure they used 9-11GB on the highest texture setting, I think someone said it will just fill it up regardless though so hard to tell whats needed.

As some have said already, it feels like 12GB is minimum of you want to keep it for next four to five years. I think I've already had one or two games that wanted more than 8GB for the highest texture settings, even though the rest of the game wasn't that demanding.
I bought a 3070 on release and was hoping to not change it for a good few years, but even then I thought the 8GB was a little low.

Yeah I think Forza Horizon 5 needs 10GB for the extreme environmental textures setting or else you get "out of VRAM" popups and mild stutters.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'd go 12gb minimum if you want the card to last years
16gb preferred
I look forward to seeing if anything maxes the 24gb on my 3090 at 4K by the time I finish using it

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
With reconstruction, I can see 8GB cards like 3070 being competitive at least until as long as the current console generation lasts, if not more.

Ezquimacore

Banned
10gb Gddr6X and up for 4k. The bandwidth is more important than the amount of vram. If you play at 1080p/1440p the current 3060 to 3070 ti are more than enough.

Last edited:
VRAM? My 3080 has 10GB and it doesn't really break a sweat at 1440p. The console GPUs are nowhere near as powerful as that so I'm assuming that my 3080 will last the whole gen at 1440p60+ fps without an issue.

Bare minimum: 8GB
Will last the generation on medium/high settings: 12 GB
Will last the generation on max settings: 16 GB

Series S has less than 8 GB available for the GPU so I expect PC games will be flexible too.

Deerock71

David Hasselhoff Smile GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

Hasselhoff.

12gb is plenty for now. For the current cards.

16gb on the 4080 should be plenty for as long as it can keep up in games, which should be the whole gen.

Plenty is defined by, can I always use the highest texture settings plus ray tracing without running out of vram. In a few instances, even the 10gb 3080 is running out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom