• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most successful game that never got a sequel, remake or remaster?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
BioShock Infinite. It's been ten years now. But something's going on, obviously.
Wasn't Infinite considered a bit of a failure though? IIRC production costs were massive and sales could not recoup for it.

Anyway, a new Bioshock will come eventually. Too many stuff has been pointing in that direction by now.

CamHostage

2DKjixu.jpg

Not an "official" sequel or remaster, but some of the creative heads of Black did get to make a second game in the mold of Black, although unfortunately Bodycount by Codemasters did not reach the same levels of success or impressiveness.

...Black and then Bodycount might be an example of why we don't actually see publishers always rushing to capitalize on seeming successes. The sequels or successors some times come around to an audience which has moved on. Sometimes a game captures lightning in a bottle, and it doesn't strike twice as much as we expect it to be easier and better the second time around.

Chronicles of Riddick is another of those cases: huge breakthrough game, with a big star, it made the studio and legitimized Vin Diesel for a sec as a serious investor in gaming, and then the "sequel" came along (on a wider variety of platforms) and it didn't have anywhere near the interest level. (I always thought Dark Athena was like a little add-on expansion for the Escape from Butcher Bay re-release, but apparently it's the other way around; Dark Athena was a full sequel and the first game was just thrown in as a bonus? I never actually bought it, despite feeling jealous for years that Xbox 1 gamers got that cool original game and my PlayStation could not.)

Eternal Champions for the Genesis was another one where its success was only in its moment. This game was originally a big effort by SEGA to get into fighting games, and it had high production values and some innovative fighting and finishing systems (albeit with some dumb characters.) Eternal Champions was quite successful in its original release, but it lost its heat quickly. There was a sequel on more capable hardware and side-games also released (SEGA CD got Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Dark Side with now 24 playable characters and FMV fatalities, Genesis got X-PERTS and Game Gear got a gangland game; a planned Saturn third mainline fighting game was also planned,) yet the "franchise" is really only remembered for its first game. (Steam and other classic game services have Eternal Champions, yet it is the Genesis first game instead of the much more robust SEGA CD sequel.)

ss_d9182c087ba638c41e49b72b66144ea975681443.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

Inviusx

Here's one:

vPjDqXC.jpg

And in case you were wondering how it reviewed:

haja4ps.jpg

LMDK62s.jpg

This game was the real deal. Innovative, original and an absolute blast to play. The developers would go on to release The Division, seven years later, and the rest is history.

Games like Bloodborne will inevitably get a sequel or a remake in the future but there's no way in hell that Massive or Ubisoft are going back to the PC RTS genre. It's been 15 years since World in Conflict released and in our memories it shall remain.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Wasn't Infinite considered a bit of a failure though? IIRC production costs were massive and sales could not recoup for it.

Anyway, a new Bioshock will come eventually. Too many stuff has been pointing in that direction by now.
I guess it was, but Infinite ended up selling roughly 11 million units over time. Which isn't too bad. But the production costs from what I've understood were massive , the project itself extremely ambitious and the development nearly cause a mental breakdown for the staff.

RAIDEN1

Good job Blackthorne got a release on the PS4/5 in the recent Blizzard collection that brought with it Lost Vikings..

RAIDEN1

Remastered?
Well there are 3 versions I think, the regular 16 bit version that came out, the 32 bit version that came out, and then the definitive version which combines everything to make it a remaster of sorts...(in the collection I mean)

Last edited:
The developers would go on to release The Division, seven years later, and the rest is history.
They released an expansion for WiC and its Complete Edition before.

Similar would be Battle Realms. Also got only an expansion pack and a Zen-Edition remaster which probably just makes it compatible to today's PCs and monitors.

I guess both were succesful enough to not scrap their already planned addons but not succesful enough to do more with it afterwards. Was probably not the best years for strategy games. Many still tried but few survived.

CamHostage

Here's an old one that people may not remember: Weaponlord for Genesis and SNES. This was a weapon-based fighting game published by Namco... but not that weapon-based fighting game published by Namco. Weaponlord was 2D and used mostly barbarian-type fighter savages, with a small number of characters but a wide variety of moves and some innovative gameplay systems with a parry mechanic. (It was also the first fighting game made for "network play", with support for the VS-over-phone XBAND system.)

Z0z54B7.jpg

Weaponlord 2 never happened. Reviews were good at the time for its novel contributions to the fighting genre, and it was hoped to get a sequel. (I'm unsure about sales, it likely did not light up the charts, but critics did try to support it as a good start for maybe a better fate in a follow-up or on the new 32-bit hardware.) Namco didn't choose to make a second Weaponlord, although the designers James Goddard and Dave Winstead both believe* Weaponlord was an influence on the weapon-based fighting game Namco did make just without them, the 3D fighter Soul Edge, which started the Soul Caliber franchise.

(*The timeline doesn't quite line up, as both games launched in 1995, although Goddard and Winstead had been shopping the idea around back when they were making Street Fighter 2 editions for Capcom)

Last edited:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
While it does not really fit the topic, I would love to have Onimusha 3 remade to play like Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Presentation and premise of the original was fantastic, but the gameplay was dated as hell.

Kingdoms of Amalur.

I really liked the combat in that game, and the art style (except for human/elf characters).
I like this game so much that I bought it twice, but instead of ever finishing it, I kept starting new characters. Maybe, I will beat it one day...

Last edited:

CGNoire

The Punisher 2004 sold realy well but then we got that shit tier Punisher:Warzone film and Volition became obcessed with Saints Row instead.

Would still kill for a Punisher Total Conversion mod for GTAIV.

CamHostage

The Punisher (2005) sold realy well but then we got that shit tier Punisher:Warzone film and Volition became obcessed with Saints Row instead.

Shit-tier? Parkour asswipes don't get vaporized in shit-tier films, my friend.

RectangularIndelibleDolphin-size_restricted.gif

(I don't think a second Punisher game would have come from Volition either way? Available records say 1mil, so it did well but not blockbuster numbers for its license. And it was a THQ game, whose only other Marvel games after Punisher/Constantine in 2005 was the Marvel Super Hero Squad games several years later. Plus it was at the end of that console generation, where usually developers work on taking their futures in new directions. Tons of factors pushed Volition in other directions away from another Punisher. Also of note, I wouldn't say they were "obsessed" with Saints Row; they followed up SR 1/2 with Red Faction Guerrilla and RF Armageddon.)

Last edited:

CGNoire

Shit-tier? Parkour asswipes don't get vaporized in shit-tier films, my friend.

RectangularIndelibleDolphin-size_restricted.gif

(I don't think a second Punisher game would have come from Volition either way? Available records say 1mil, so it did well but not blockbuster numbers for its license. And it was a THQ game, whose only other Marvel games after Punisher/Constantine in 2005 was the Marvel Super Hero Squad games several years later. Plus it was at the end of that console generation, where usually developers work on taking their futures in new directions. Tons of factors pushed Volition in other directions away from another Punisher. Also of note, I wouldn't say they were "obsessed" with Saints Row; they followed up SR 1/2 with Red Faction Guerrilla and RF Armageddon.)
Holyshit I forgot about that part. LoL

So it only sold 1 mil still could of got a sequal but to be honest Im not sure they where skilled enough to pull off what I wanted. I was really hoping for an Open world NY with the battle van and Micro at my side. After the 1st SR I was hoping they would have used that experience to make an open world punisher but when saint row 2 dropped I knew that shit wasnt happening.

I forgot about Red Faction.....i still need to get around to playing Guerrilla.

Last edited:
What you mean with "successful". Critically acclaimed, well received by the gamers or games that sell well?
All above are not successful in terms of sells.
If the game sell well it will receive 100% sequel.

My proposal: Half-Life 2

Tams

Gold Member
Do you mean specifically a sequel to World Series? Because they made Micro Machines sequels for all platforms from NES through PS2, and then they tried a revival in 2017.

Counting the NES through PS2 era as an argument that there have been sequels would only count if it were 2008. It's 2023.

I don't count World Series in 2017. It was completely different game.

Top comment from that video:

Jo

5 years ago
Make sure you do your research before buying this game. If you're wanting a tight, fast paced, top down, car battle game, then you'll probably enjoy this. If you're looking to relive the glory days of Micro Machines V3 and prior, then this isn't the game you're looking for.

Anyway, if that's still not good enough for you; then:

Mini Ninjas and Sleeping Dogs.

Top Bottom