• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is You Gaming Audio Setup? And How Much Did It Cost You?

Mister Wolf

g305HWQ910B-F.jpg

I recently picked up a Samsung HW-Q910B. It ran me $700 for a renewed version off Amazon. This is the most I've ever spent for audio but now that I've experienced it, I don't regret it one bit. I've been being cheap for a long time gaming with subpar audio(TV speakers, cheap soundbars, cheap earbuds). Well Gaf, tell us what you have, and how much it cost you. Pics are welcome. I'm especially interested in high end headphones and if they truly make a big difference.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
A pair of cheap headphones I plug into my gamepad.

While I'd love to have a cool audio setup like OP's for movies and TV shows, I'd still prefer playing with headphones. Makes the games more immersive imo.

Topher

Gold Member
I have an old Yamaha surround sound system. Like 20 years old. But it still works and sounds good. Back in the day it cost like $700.

Mostly I use a wireless headset though. LucidSound LS50X. $200 headphones I got for $130 on Amazon.

Last edited:

dDoc

A 5.1 Yamaha surround system from a few years back. Set me back around Eur 450 back then.

Wouldn't imagine playing games or watching movies/TV series without it.

Sound important as much as image quality.

mxbison

Samsung HW-Q800A using the Q-symphony thing with a Samung TV.

Really happy with the setup. Great sound, fills the room pretty well for a soundbar, and the sub is brutal. I actually have it at -2 most of the time to not get in trouble with my neighbours.

Mr Hyde

I used to be cheap like you OP in regards to sound, but when I acquired my soundbar and subwoofer + Sonys XM3 headphones it completely changed my gaming experience. I don't regret it one bit and I'm never going back to fucking tv speakers.

I still use a "refurbished" Onkyo 7.1 bundle that originated in 2007 that I got for $330ish a year later. The receiver only works sometimes but when it all works out with an empty house and a working receiver it still sounds incredible to me.

Celcius

°Temp. member

Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II for when I'm on PC or console. The built in speakers when I'm playing my Switch.

Ulysses 31

Denon D9200 when PC gaming with headphones(excellently driven Katana V2)
Creative Katana V2 Soundbar as PC desktop speakers when not playing with headphones
Samsung Q990B Soundbar for PC/Console gaming on my QLED

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Sonos Arc w/ Sonos One SL rears:

sonos-arc-2-one-sl-blk-0.jpg

I think it’s an incredible setup and I couldn’t be happier with it.

Will probably add a Sub Mini at some point but as a parent with a young child, that would be too much thump right now.

For headphones, I’ve got the official Xbox Wireless Headset:

6453204_sd.jpg

Nothing amazing but it gets the job done.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
On my main gaming desk since I mainly use a monitor I am using the SteelSeries Arena 9 5.1 system that cost me around $500 ish US

But when I play shooters especially and I really want great spatial audio with a nice soundstage I use open back headphones and for gaming its hard to beat the Philips SHP9500 for the price new around $75

Just my 2 cents a great open back headphones are hard to beat even vs speakers

My main headset was the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro which were like $150 new but my favorite headset is the Audeze LCD X that was around $1200 at the time

GrayDock

Im the HT room a 5.1.2 Denon AVR system. If you can have an Atmos system, I can't recommend enough.
For late night I use a basic Logitech G435, lightest headset that I ever had, I can use it for hours, and it also sounds good (not great, but confort is more important for me).

Neilg

Dali Oberon 5's in the room I usually game in ($2k with amp), elac unifi reference in the living room (3k because the amp doubles up for the outdoor speakers), where I sometimes game (the tv is nicer but it kind of dominates the house so it's rare weekends), and Adam a7 monitors in my office/PC setup.

Probably going to pick up a sub for the elac's. The Dali's don't need one imo - they're not boomy but the bass is still there and the room they're in is much smaller.

I'm pretty firmly in the stereo pair camp. Sound bars are shit for the price vs bookshelves and 5.1's also take too big a hit to sound quality without 3x the budget. And then with 3x the budget I look at what kind of stereo pair I can get and i go off the idea of 5.1

Last edited:

Paulxo87

sony core series 5.2 system. I can add atmos speakers on the main or two more speakers but I don't see the need.

I think the whole thing cost over a thousand or so idk.

Fbh

Still using the TV speakers, might get something better later on. Upgraded recently and with my budget I had to choose between an Oled TV or a cheaper TV with an added audio setup. Ultimately I care more about picture quality and stuff like VRR than audio so I went with the Oled.

On the headset front I used the Sony Pulse 3D. The audio isn't great and I can't say I notice the "3D" audio, but I got them on sale for $65 and for that price they are pretty good. Also I like the built in button to regulate between game and chat audio on ps5.

Hoddi

Sony wireless AptX headphones + USB dongles in my PC and PS5. Doesn't work on Xbox though so that's either wired or TV speakers.

LostDonkey

Logitech 2.1 mini speaker system and a Logitech wired G series Headset.

Speakers were about £120, headset was £100.

Fredrik

Consoles:
Marantz home-theater Atmos receiver SR6012 and Qln speakers Qubic 166 fronts + FS600 center, system fidelity something back speakers and some cheap front high Atmos speakers, don’t remember the name, and a REL T5 sub.
It’s all old stuff now, accumulated over 5-20 years, still sounds great imo.
~$3500

Upgrade plan: HDMI 2.1 AVR.

PC:
Steinberg UR22 external sound card + 2ch Kurzweil studio monitors and Beyerdynamic studio headphones. Okayish but nothing special.
~$500

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
TV’s today come with effective speakers.
No. If anything they're worse now than they used to be.

I have a pioneer surround system for my consoles. Sony avr. Polk sub. I'd say all together roughly 1200? Well worth it. I put it together probably about 7 years ago? Audio equipment last a good while.

My PC is behind in that regard. I've got a little 2.1 setup. It's not bad though considering. I do have several pairs of headphones that I also use but not regularly. I'm a speaker guy.

daveonezero

Banned
lately just us mg Airpod Pros.

I’m looking to put a home theater 5.1.4 in a new space. The reviver will be $1500 and the speakers probably that much too. But I’ll look for used 9 channel atoms receivers.

Kinda crazy how much these things have increased. I’ll look for a second hand one. I haven’t had a had a surround system since my first gaming PC which has an audiology card with the klipach 4.1 system.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
AV​
XCVf9Fp.jpg

Centre Speaker
Q Acoustics 3090ci​
cAuAjjO.jpg

L/R
Q Acoustics 3020i​
78En9nZ.jpg

L/R Surrounds
Q Acoustics 3010i
0OalYEf.jpg

Subwoofer
Q Acoustics QB12
SWfkyI2.jpg

£1255+£399 in total
I need to get some Ceiling Speakers for Atmos
and I'm undecided whether to get another QB12 for Dual Subs 💪

Oh and I got a pair of those
2OS1GIu.jpg

But rarely use them other then if it's really late
YouTube's new intro on their TV app
This one if you haven't heard it

is not what my neighbours wanna hear at night 😅
It just a baseline drop​

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
95% of the time I use open back headphones (Philips Fidelio X3) and a DAC on PC. When playing splitscreen on the XSX / TV with my son we just use a Sonos bar (it's pretty good for that use actually).

Merkades

I grabbed a Samsung Q930B (soundbar) in December when I decided to upgrade from my burn in filled LG C6 55" to a Samsung S95B 65", mostly because I was curious and together you can enable Q-Symphony. That said, I often use my Philips Fidelios (headset), though I have no idea what model or year they are, as I have had them for sometime now.

I like the soundbar, but I kind of like my headphones more for sound, though I like not wearing a headset too.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
in-the-box-large.jpg

I was converted to being a headphone guy when I was a competittive COD player.....ive just never seen a reason to go back.
At the time I had a Klipsch 5.1 Home Theater System, but after constant noise complaints It just wasnt worth keeping so I sold it.
Honestly beyond missing the rumble I think my headphones actually sound better.

But I do have some "cheap" Logitech Speakers that I use when im playing more relaxing games or have people over.
z333-twitter-image.jpg

YukiOnna

I just use headphones. I think I made a mistake buying into those stupid gaming headphones hype, should have gotten studio quality and clip-on mic but it works well enough.

I don't like speakers of any sort.

Kuranghi

Samsung HW-Q800A using the Q-symphony thing with a Samung TV.

Really happy with the setup. Great sound, fills the room pretty well for a soundbar, and the sub is brutal. I actually have it at -2 most of the time to not get in trouble with my neighbours.

Not sure if you listen to music on the bar through TV apps (like YouTube) but with Q Symphony does it play stereo music through the TV speakers as well as the bar or is that just used for centre channel stuff like dialogue in movies?

Mister Wolf

Not sure if you listen to music on the bar through TV apps (like YouTube) but with Q Symphony does it play stereo music through the TV speakers as well as the bar or is that just used for centre channel stuff like dialogue in movies?

The only thing I don't like about Q Symphony is it disables some sound profiles.

Top Bottom